• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kojin's Sonic Tech Lab *taking another look at Speed's Sonic*

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I honestly just HATE Brinstar. I've tried multiple times to play there, but it just really ****s up my playstyle...I'unno...I love the airdash and use it a lot on Corneria and Rainbow Cruise, but I really just ****ing hate Brinstar.

D:<

:093:

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
combo video being uploaded!

please check the Kojin Channel and here for updates
KojinSagara Productions presents:
"Mach Speed Generation"

link will be here once the video is finished uploading.

I had the video earlier, but found out the format (MPEG-4) could not be used by Adobe Premiere (the program I use for all my combo vids thus far) so i used another program to convert them all, a pain in the ***. sry about that. also played against more characters than ... ganon (lol seywutmalcolm lol)

Im at the point where I think a Sonic main could look at this sonic and say, "hey, that's Kojin's Sonic style," or "you play like Kojin's Sawnik" or something like that. I'm most likely going to C3 with a friend this week, I hope to get more than 13th this time. Im almost where i want to be...

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
The new video is up! give it a few minutes to fully process, but the link is now available here:

Mach Speed Generation: A Kojin/Sonic video

Im putting these down to remind me and you what im gonna work on next. I promise. i put it of long enough.

Malcolms weaknesses (lol you can't miss this.)

Playstyles Analyzed soon

Chis

djbrowny

SonicMaster5

Speeding Sonic (ithink)

Coming in March:
M.I.D.T.I.E.R. : A Kojin/Sonic video (yes, it's an actual acronymn; i'm a ****ing genius.)

I also plan on doing a vid on Sonic's grab setups, and explaining the chasing scenarios to maximize damage. I know you want to help KID, I'd also like Puffball and Malcolm to assist if they can send vids. remember the theme, plz.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I like Kojin...I like.

I'm not too sure how to describe your Sonic, but I'd have to say "Smart".
You have great spacing and seem to know how to properly use Spindash feints. Not to the point where it's flashy, but it's smart and clearly well-intentioned.

Also, the music was epic and the video was very well put together. I laugh everytime I see the "This Steak has been approved for all audiences"

XD
--
Also, I should be getting more recent videos of myself, so I'll let you know when they're up.

I think we should have a day though were WE all analyze YOUR Sonic :D
Ya know...the KOJIN way. All fancy and ****.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Very good video. Ya got some very steaky clips!

I especially liked the scene where you countered ivysaur's D-Throw tech.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
, I should be getting more recent videos of myself, so I'll let you know when they're up.

I think we should have a day though were WE all analyze YOUR Sonic :D
Ya know...the KOJIN way. All fancy and ****.

lol for some reason when u said that wit my name in caps, i got a bit worried... wired huh? hahaha! hahaha! ....

definately get plenty of vids up if you realy want me to comment on them, the, um... "kojin way"...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I also plan on doing a vid on Sonic's grab setups, and explaining the chasing scenarios to maximize damage. I know you want to help KID, I'd also like Puffball and Malcolm to assist if they can send vids. remember the theme, plz.
I'd be glad to help. I just need to know what I have to do.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
@puffball:

any vids or clips of your sonic doing KID cgs, and the chases/combos you have done off throws,
0_o;

I've done those quite alot...
Well, I'll give it a go.
I'll post them all up in here soon.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i dont think ive seen any vids of him , so i didn't know that. if he can get me clips, that would be nice. how do you dl youtube vids again?

cant wait to see the vids, puffball.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
definately get plenty of vids up if you realy want me to comment on them, the, um... "kojin way"...
lol, by Kojin way, I mean how you break everything down into statistics and such. I could try, but I'd probably fail D:

Realplayer can DL youtube vids.

Does SM5 have any legit videos of himself on YouTube? Or are they all Lag-Fi?

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
got some cool stuff to add to my game. not gonna give my final thoughts on it until after either C3 or the Gamepad tourney. Im gonna look at some vids now, if im really vigilant i may have something on someones style tonight. :)

Tenki

Smash Hero
I believe some of the stuff he does is like, F-throw (trap if they DI away, since it angles them low) > DACUS.

I remember I thought it was kind of impressive the first few times he did it, lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
how many regular phrases are there in the world?

thats how many box phrases there are.

also, in my last tourney, even though that snake beat me and even though i SDd so many times, i still pulled a KID CG on him from 0-like 50.

i dont know if i had that recorded though.

I say we all sent amir massive amounts of PMs so that he uploads WNYs vids.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Sonic grab setup vid is underway! wanna help?

i can download vids from youtube now via realplayer. If there is any one who has a good clip of them doing KIDcgs, grab mixups/ minadgames, and tech chases from grbas, now is the time to post them here so i can just grab them later. I wont guarantee that i'll use it but if i do, credit will be given. this should be a sonic boards project that will be easy for you guys to participate in. if its part of a larger vid, give me the point to look for.

If there are sweet quotes to use, then shoe them here too, please. thank you.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
i can download vids from youtube now via realplayer. If there is any one who has a good clip of them doing KIDcgs, grab mixups/ minadgames, and tech chases from grbas, now is the time to post them here so i can just grab them later. I wont guarantee that i'll use it but if i do, credit will be given. this should be a sonic boards project that will be easy for you guys to participate in. if its part of a larger vid, give me the point to look for.
I should be getting some videos uploaded of me within the week or so where I have some Steak Uthrow shenanigans :O

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
DJ Browny no Style:

Sonic with his speed can be used well as a punishment character. To do that, you need to have an understanding of the opposing characters options, quickly determine which one they will rely on, then counter with the right attack. Granted, by now there are Sonic's that understand this concept, but haven't fully mastered it yet. . Djbrowny is a good example of
an good Sonic player that some of the tools, but, gets stopped short of being a great sonic due to something that sonic's must constantly be wary of: predictability.

His ground game is spin dash based. he knows how to follow up when it connects, and jumps away when it is blocked, springing at times to ensure he gets down safer. If he does run, it is usually a shield grab attempt. the primary finisher for him is F-Smash.

Throw game is balanced in terms of use. However the followups need work at times.For example, he makes an attempt to chase the opponent after throws, and even though he gets follow ups at times, I feel that he van get a lot more. He usually goes a Spin Charge, after D-throw. it works, but sometimes, a simple run will do. He also needs to anticipate the airdodges more during his up throw follow ups, which are primarily bair.

Most opponents air dodge or attempt a counter attack at the slightest movement towards them from sonic after the up or forward throw, for example, because, well, he's that fast. trick them by staying on the ground and running around where you think they will most likely land, shield grabbing falling counterattacks, and by delaying aerials like upair . that mixed with your usual looks... I smell the steak cooking already...

Try it, especially early in the game, where there is no reference to your tendencies, and where the knockback gives them even less time to make a decision. This shouldn't be too hard for him to implement, because he knows the basic idea, he knows about KIDcgs, he but just needs practice to tighten the spacing up.

Most of his air game results off of him jumping from out of spin dashes, or upthrow chase attempts. upairs are common from his upthrows, and spindash combo attempts usually end in fair. if he is caught in the air he will often times spring and dair to reach the ground quickly.

The edge game needs to be more aggressive. He doesn't seem to leave the stage , and sometimes it looks like he's not even trying. He is good at surviving though, i don't really see much to point out recovery-wise.

Weaknesses:

- He tends to always jump after connecting with an opponent, hit or block. this is very bad, because if your opponent notices this, then they can simply wait for spins and hit u with an aerial as you pass (your brother Ant, for example knows this all too well). This also means that..

-your approaches need to be more diverse, allowing that spin game you like so much to flourish.

-Do more approach fakes and spin fakes to make this happen.
this will also give you more chances to throw and work on your followups.

-Your over reliance on spring > dair as an escape tactic will get you punished, its not as safe
as the primary tactic in the air.

- Look at Malcolm's running tactics and incorporate those to start off the match. you spin too much.

-Lastly, you aren't that diverse in your KO methods. I watched a good portion of your vids. I saw one aggressive edgegaurd attempt. The rest: F-smash kills.

Style Verdict: Ground/Grapple/Air

Hope i wasn't too harsh, because you are a good sonic. just be more unpredictable, okay?
also noticing that these write ups are getting bigger...

Browny

Smash Hater
ooh i was nervous for a sec :p

I was expecting to get told for my non-existant tilt usage lol. thanks :)

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
lol oh yeah i forgot about that. at least you already know lol
your responce was unexpected. this was the most brutal critique so far.
i hope this helps you.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

Kojin is win at Xat doodling.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
sonic boards catch phrase contest!

the logo that represents all that is steak, has arrived!!

one thing remains, we need a catch phrase to match the epicness. best one gets theirs put on the pic. how steak can u get?

discuss.

nominees:

1: Camalange: "Spinshot moar"
2: KID_CRAFT_24: "SONIC'S THE NAME STEAK'S MY GAME"
3: thecatinthehat: "the sound of steak sizzling on the grill"
4: Kojin: "Everyone else is too slow."
5: MarkoX: "You're not even good enough to eat my steak."
6: Djbrowny: "Your lack of speed does not amuse us"

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Catchphrase time!

"Spinshot moar"

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I got one.

"You're not even good enough to be my steak."

Edit: or maybe, "You're not even good enough to eat my steak."

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I can't believe we forgot DJB!

D:D:D:D:D:

Good edit! Updated with the Aussie Sonic :D

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
omg how could i have forgotten good ol browny?
*runs back to photoshop*

edited with dj's pic.

justice has been served.... steak...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So uh...DJ...wanna use your Ninja skills to add infzy's name too?

10waytoomanysteaksonicboarders

Top Bottom