• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I went to a tournament yesterday. I used more Lucario than Link unfortunately. I MM's people with my Link to try and learn some MU's and getting better. I learned this.

DK is a really bad Match-up. Ook beat me pretty badly, I got him to one stock with Link maybe once, better than the last time I played him when it was 3 stocks with a few 2 stocks mixed in.

Kain showed me how brutal Wolf is. That bair needs to be predicted, and gimping Link is not hard for Wolf.

Akashi's a good Snake, he knows how to gimp and harass Link's recovery like Ally does to me. I don't think it's that bad to play against Snake, I blame myself more than I blame Link.

DLA, he still beat my Link. Playing against him helped me learn to camp better since Ganon has some trouble working though it. When he got to me, he was much better with reading me than I way trying to knock him back. He gimped he so hard with Ganon. He said my Lucario is better and more developed than my Link since it gave him a harder time. I'm not surprised seeing as I was using Lucario since Day1 while Link was played since 9 months ago.

Fun tournament, I'll get better with Link so I can use him more. That's my goal for next time.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah DK can be a pretty bad matchup, I play with a DK all the time, I'll upload a tourney set of DK. Zair and projectiles helps alot in this matchup.

I agree that Wolf is brutal. :cry:

Anyways good stuff repping Link and going to a tournament. I'm glad you have fun and that you've set a goal for Link. It's that you have Lucario to fall back on in case Link doesn't do a good job. Next time save all your replays on some hacked Wii and then upload them! :D

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Placing discovered.

SSBB Singles: (66 players)

1: Ally (Snake/Falcon)
2: Lain (Ice Climbers)
3: Judge (wario/Meta)
4: Logic (Olimar)
5: FilthyFrederick (Wario)
5: Anther (Pika)
7: Arty
7: Boss
9: Chu Dat
9: Ook
9: Kain
9: Quik
13: BMX
13: Coney
13: Grimace
13: Fatboy
17: DLA
17: YoshQ
17: Meneil
17: Sekibum
17: Scythe
17: Akashi
17: Corms
17: Wafles
25: Loki
25: Oro
25: Box7
25: Sima Matty
25: That's What She Said
25: Kennispam
25: Kappy
25: Moozle

Below didn't make it out of pools
33: Nathan
33: Ewok
33: Dietz
33: Apostle
33: Pagedown
41: Tom
41: Ficha
41: Magic Josh
41: Sothe
41: Tony
41: Raid
41: Red Ryu
41: Zwarm
49: Dedede
49: Tetsion
49: Andrew
49: George
49: Zack152
49: Sponge Jordan
49: Benothebeno
49: Diska
57: Muffin
57: Jonomatic
57: Umashi
57: Payne
57: mimeman
57: Chris
57: Fade
57: Ici
65: Jordan
65: Akako

SSBB Doubles: (20 Teams)

1: Good **** Mac Chicken (Ally + Chu Dat)
2: Combos and Hangovers (Hunger + Judge)
3: Dota Green (Pyronic Star + Boss)
4: Caaaaarrrrrrrl (Coney + BMX)
5: Blades and Grenades (Fatboy + Grimace)
5: Quik + Arty (Arty + Quik)
7: Can't Let You Do That Bowser (Kain + Box7)
7: Anther + Lain (Anther + Lain)
9: Team Charisma (Lesgolrocks + Vare)
9: Poyd (Dietz + MagicJosh)
9: Luigi Punch (yoshq + ook)
9: Kain is our daddy (Akashi + Meneil)
13: Hyrule Tier Combo (S.Jordan + Red Ryu)
13: DGPS (Fade + Ewok)
13: Team Ka (Adam + Kyle)
13: Team Dreamland (Wafles + Kappy)
17: The Boss (George + Scottie)
17: The Hawk (Luke + Pain)
17: After Effect (Versa + Artisto)
17: The **** (Deez + Apostle)

My goal is to make it out of pools consistently at this point.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I believe in you man, you can make it out of pools! Also those results are pretty good seeing as you used Link and didn't come last.

What was your characters for doubles?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
In doubles I didn't touch Link, mostly because my partner and me were working on a Lucario/Lucas strat which didn't work, Anubis strategy.

We're working on another idea on me playing a cleric and healing Lucas with Aura Spheres.

Otherwise I would have used Link.

The other problem is most people don't like me using Link when they love my Lucario. :/

I listen to my partner when I play, since I want them to feel comfortable with teaming with me so Link never gets played. :(

Then again Link/Lucas isn't a great team combo.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I haven't watched Izaw's videos yet, I probably should eventually.

Utah is trying to drag me to an inperson tourney, which will be depressing because my online play is way better than my offline play and I'll embarrass myself thoroughly.

Don't john about not being very good Ryu, and certainly don't get pushed around by tourneygoers. Whatever else you may be, you are also a Link Main, and certain obligations come with that, like doing work, water templing, and JV 4ing foolish MK mains.

You might also get struck by rogue lightning bolts, or find yourself under RL torture if you don't fulfill these obligations, but you don't need to know any more about THAT unless you happen to renege on your obligations.

Do work, Ryu.

You better.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Bah don't worry about your online play being better than your offline play. I recommend that you should go to this in person tourney. Tourneys are meant to be fun, so you shouldn't worry if you do well or not. :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
In doubles I didn't touch Link, mostly because my partner and me were working on a Lucario/Lucas strat which didn't work, Anubis strategy.
Link does well with characters who have good multi-hit moves. Link+G&W has worked well in friendlies for me. Multihits setup Dair team combos. Link needs a fast good-in-the-air partner who can force opponents to stay still for Link. Link likes to be low, G&W can control the air. SH arrows save your partner from punishment. In my opinion, Link is better for teams than singles if your partner and you space eachother well.
Link+Lucas doesn't sound like a good team, but Link can be a good teammate.
my online play is way better than my offline play
You're one in a million^.
If we want to play Link in tourneys it's our choice. Do what you want; don't let people tell you how to spend your leisure time.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Tourneys are meant to be fun, so you shouldn't worry if you do well or not. :)
Utah tournies are NOT fun. Too much BS getting thrown in peoples' faces for me.

Plus I won't have a car this Saturday, my bro is going on a date. WELL THAT'S JUST TOO BAD.

You guys don't have to hear me johning though So I'll stop there.

If I do go I'll probably go Gay the entire tourney so that I can get money, because I've beaten #2 in Utah before when I used Tink. I want to see how far I could go if I actually used a decent character for once.

EDIT: Scabe I want to play you so bad, get your tush on wifi sometime bud.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'd want to play him too but he lives in Australiaaaaaa.

And dammit Ano change the thread name to something cool mkay?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I can't, otherwise I would've long ago.

Demoddedshipness has taken said privilege away from me, lol :/

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Really? You should be able to change it, give it a try, it's your own thread. Sucks to hear about your Utah scene.

I don't blame you for going gay. Like I chose him one time, and I had alot of fun and then when I went to Link I was like who the **** is this heavy slow mofo?!

And at WiFi, if I lag alot with Australians, imagine me playing with people overseas. Wifii... :mad088:

ndayday

BRoomer
I can't, otherwise I would've long ago.

Demoddedshipness has taken said privilege away from me, lol :/
You can, you just haven't tried hard enough. :mad:

After you click edit, "go advanced" there's an option to edit the title.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
lol, if I didn't have a friend that mained Link I probably would have thought that Anonano is actually going homosexual. XD

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Your support is very comforting PSI.

Link General Discussion Thread renamed LGDT because I was too lazy to type it out again after I accidentally erased it, and then I proceeded to mock NDayday. Mmmm, chicken.

Scabe, I have worse lag with next door neighbors and friends from down the block than I do with Catpukee from freaking Europe. No johns.

Arcade

Smash Ace
Guys I have a question

What if zelda was a girl

Just kidding.

So on a scale of 1 to ****, how godly is zair? 'Cause it's almost by itself tempting me to play Link.

ndayday

BRoomer
Although really overrated at times.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So on a scale of 1 to ****, how godly is zair? 'Cause it's almost by itself tempting me to play Link.
Zair's the one move Link has that isn't super situational, well maybe jabs. It has piercing priority, landing cancels, hits twice for 4% then 6% damage and blocks most range attacks. Zair's awesome.

Arcade

Smash Ace
I was playing Link in Melee a week or two ago and messing around with his hookshot. I was like, woah this move is awesome! If only it didn't have so much landing lag.

Then I played Link in Brawl and I was like holy crap.

Zair's the one move Link has that isn't super situational, well maybe jabs
Huh? What about bombs, bomerang, f/n/bair?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Personally I think it's one of his best moves. It's a good zoning tool as well and the first hit of Zair combos into Fsmash and grab. You can still get punished by it. If you try the first hit of Zair, they can sheild grab you.

But trying to punish the two hits of Zair is harder. Not entirely sure how people punish that one against me.

And lol at the Melee bit, I played Brawl first so when I used the hookshot in Melee I was like wtf is this ****?!

Although it's use as a recovery tool is really good.

Arcade

Smash Ace
Yeah, I really miss the fact that you could latch onto any wall with tethers in Melee. I'm pretty sure you could even hit people with it as it flew out to grab the edge, which was always amazing.

The first hit of zair really COMBOS into fsmash? Woah. I didn't know it had enough hitstun.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well that's only been tested in training with the help on to see if it's a true combo, I only found out today that it was a combo lol. Not sure if it'll work in a real battle, but I think I tested against CPU's and it works.

Browny

Smash Hater
Easy way to test if something is a true combo...

get 2 controllers, play training in 1/4 speed mode and mash shield (airdodge) with your hand, foot, teeth or anything. if its blockable, its not a true combo. the combo counter in training should never be trusted.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah I really don't trust that combo counter.

I'll give your idea a try! Except I don't like the idea of using my teeth to play the controller :teeth:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Huh? What about bombs, bomerang, f/n/bair?
Bombs are laggy to pull out so you must be safe to ready one, then they're good. Boomerang has a ton of starting lag and can work against Link without good planning. Fair has 2 frames of attack for each of the 2 slashes and can be attacked through and shield grabbed
(Frame 13: Hitbox out: 9 damage, 2 frame duration.
Frame 25: Hitbox out: 12 damage, 2 frame duration.
Frame 50: Autocancel.)

Bair/Nair have longer attack and are less risk/less return than Fair but can be shield grabbed or landing punished. Nair has a nice 21 strait frames of attack and is really good too.
Zair has the range to avoid punishment that other air attacks don't. It landing cancels, peirces range, and has great priority that arrows and boomerangs lack. It's faster than bombs and can be done from an airdodge. Zair's Link safest attack.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Version 4 of the Tier List introduced the Triforce Tier.

Discuss.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Nice title change.

I am disappoint with Link not moving up. But, I now have this burning passion to do well with Link and I think that I'm just going to always use him. I think the high learning curve, and no representation at tourneys makes him unnoticed.

By looking at inaccurate data I think he's better than Samus, Ganon, Falcon, Jiggs: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9614762&postcount=185

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I've been inspired now to rep Link all the way at this tourney. He deserved to go up a few spots; I'm going Link Purist again so I can take top 8 in a tourney and get Link the rep he deserves.

See ya'll on Saturday with a top 8 placing; last time I went I got 9th out of 21, and that was ten months ago. A lot of the great players have left my area too.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
No johns Ryu.

I feel Zelda deserves to be second from bottom. Zelda mains really overhyped her strengths. CF did not deserve that jump (although Ally did). Jiggz should go down; she has even less tourney rep than Link, with squat known potential.

I'd say bottom four would be CF, Jiggz, Zelda, and Ganon with Link breaking into 2nd lowest tier maybe? 0.o;

Rizen

Smash Legend
I only play Link.
Tourney stages are against Link. CO stage list:

Starter

* Lylat Cruise
* Battlefield
* Final Destination
* Smashville
* Yoshi's Island

Counter

* Castle Siege
* Pokemon Stadium 1
* Delfino Plaza
* Halberd
* Brinstar
* Frigate Orpheon
* Jungle Japes
* Pictochat
* Rainbow Cruise

What? PS1's a counter now?! It was a starter! We used to have Norfair, Cornaria, PS2, and Green Greens for counters. This gets worse every time I check it. No wonder Link's so low.

Top Bottom