• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Leave tap jump on noobs - EXPLAINED

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I wish to know what attacks hit the fastest in multiples to test this out.

I also need for Ankoku to tell me how to get the "framevision". <_<

I know you more respected members of the Marth boards want everyone to stop sucking and telling everyone what you know works will do just that, but I as the crazed reject wish to test things further. Whether I want to do it for my own ends or to simply prove the common notion wrong I don't know.

I'm an ***, yes I am. Speaking hypothetically, can one use Up+B out of shield without any jump delay using a jump button, not Tap Jump? The difficulty is irrelevant, but is it humanly possible?

Also, other people: While I may be arguing by my lonesome, you people still should learn how to play with Tap Jump. If anyone is going to lose all their respect, I wish it to be me alone. ^^
Junk says it may be possible, even then it is not reliable and is incredibly hard to do. The harder it is to do the less often I think a marth would use it.

Spam this **** people.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
Junk says it may be possible, even then it is not reliable and is incredibly hard to do. The harder it is to do the less often I think a marth would use it.

Spam this **** people.
humm some called me For spam?

Nah.

I don't with tapoff think it's really slower frame wise but force you hands to have to do more.

you have to tap up+B form shield with tap on.

you have to tap jump+ U+B form shield with tap off.

Even if you get good with doing with tap off you will still be doing a very little bit slower then the person with tap on.

Also with tap off by taping Jump,will make marth jump(very small)a bit, before it UB making you get hit,tho if you do it really really fast you can avoid that,but it's better to have a button that is the tilt and the jump for this move.

Heres a Video(srry if my room looks messy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0md6Flcrd0s

Smash Apprentice
Yes! Exactly! You will never get better without trying really, really hard and spending time learning to do good things like this!

It is possible to do utilts without jumping. It merely takes time and practice!

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
Steel2nd said:
You NEED to have tap jump on to properly up b out of shield people. Your 'alternate' ways to up b out DONT WORK. Why? Because you don't have the benefit of the initial invincibility frames that make this move broken.
Untrue, it does work.
It is just a extra layer of difficult.
And this difficult changes from player to player.

There isn't a such thing as a best controller configuration (Tap On/Off or whatever), tactics/techniques just becomes easier or harder to perform.
If some player can't perform a determinated tactic/technique; its his fault, not the controller configuration's.

Saying to someone to set a determined ''best'' configuration/do the "best" tactic will only skip the player evolution.
Thats why I dislike too much this thread and this way of 'teaching'.
People should play better, not 'like the pros'.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Eh, Tap jump on is the easier method so why not just use that?

why make things harder on yourself.

Well, I already know how to u-tilt just fine with tap jump on due to my Melee days so it doesn't really apply to me.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
This thread is full of win. It's like my grandmother's chicken dipped in rapesause.

And for those of you that are still arguing with Tap Jump, I've been destroying with this crap.

Picture this. EVERY SINGLE TIME SOMEONE HITS MY SHIELD WITH ANY ATTACK (that's not a projectile), THEY GET HIT.

IT'S TOO GOOD.

You can literally stand there, shield approaches, and UpB. If you get really good with it, you don't even have to sidestep anymore. Invincibility Frames from Dolphin Slash are quicker, lol.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
And for those of you that are still arguing with Tap Jump, I've been destroying with this crap.
So...whose side are you on? lol

I have a better time buffering my jump (actually hitting Up+B+L buffers everything out at once so it'll rip right through Mach Tornado, ROB's Dsmash, whatever) from my L trigger than relearning how to play with Tap Jump on. It's personal preference since it's a personal flaw of mine that my hands are overly finicky, and that I have by far god awful hand-eye coordination and control. I would only use Utilt in Melee off a grab or another move, and not as an independent input due to this.

But really, if you learn with tap jump on, more respect to you as you have now learned how to master control pad dictation. Something I can never achieve.

So...Emblem Lord, what's with the change of heart? Don't you want people like me to GTFO? :chuckle:

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
LMFAO, epic post above ^^

Yeah, when timed right (and in situation)up b out of shield is spammable, I just did it and its freaking amazing, so fun:laugh:

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
U-tilt with tap jump on is easy, but is Upb out of shield really that good? <_< I've always disliked it...

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
U-tilt with tap jump on is easy, but is Upb out of shield really that good? <_< I've always disliked it...
Its basically saying, I can leave a shield in a invincible state and hit you in 5 frames(almost speed of a fair) with knockback of a untipped fsmash. Yeah its really that good, and its base damage is 13%.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
Its basically saying, I can leave a shield in a invincible state and hit you in 5 frames(almost speed of a fair) with knockback of a untipped fsmash. Yeah its really that good, and its base damage is 13%.
The knock back is the olny problem with this attack.At low dmg olny the knockback it to low to make it safe.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
The knock back is the olny problem with this attack.At low dmg olny the knockback it to low to make it safe.
Yeah but Im pretty sure the knockback of Dolphin Slash = Untipped Fsmash. I heard that somewhere. A fsmash can ko at like 100-130% on most chars.

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I was wondering why Neo and Plank were both playing with tapjump off at my tournament....I never played Melee that much so I never got used to it.

Oh well, seeing (and getting obliterated by) Neo's Marth has made me decide to change a lot of things about how I play Marth.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I think it's ridiculous that people actually have trouble performing u-tilts.
Well, with tap jump off, people get into the habit of tilting the stick fully up to tilt. This means with tap jump on, they will jump and sometimes preform a uair.

Just be more gentle with your controller, itll take a day or so to get used to. Then youll have a technique that saves your *** sometimes for the rest of the time you use Marth.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yeah seriously, it's not as serious as I first thought. I got accustomed to tap jump off as soon as I ditched my fears and put in enough effort to actually try it. Now I forget that my tap jump is off but my play is fine. Actually, more often than not, the (very rare) extra jump helps me instead of hurts me.

Shök

Smash Champion
I suppose the benefits outweigh the double jumped U-airs (if you dont know how to do it) so i'll Turn mine back on.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Um... you guys do know you don't HAVE TO turn Tap Jump on to get this effect.

I tried it and went back to turning tap jump off. Steel2nd's video is very misleading. He's letting go of shield and press up+B. You don't have to do that. While holding L+UP, press Y+B at the same time. Use your index finger to press Y.. Sure it's not the same, because sometimes you won't think to press Y but with practice you can get used to it.
I use tap jump off because I dash dance into fB with Marth. It's very effective for tech chasing. With tap jump on, sometimes I'd slip and accidentally jump. Also, I can DI upwards without worrying about jumping. And yeah, sometimes uTilt'ing instantly can helpful.

I'm just saying the the video is very misleading. Tap Jump Propaganda!

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
No.. i was pressing X. And hitting X with your index finger to do it fast enough (even if it DOES work) seems hard as hell and won't be able to be used very often. I doubt you will be able to move your fingers fast enough (since you're basically changing your whole grip) on reaction and be able to do it even on the non-multi hit attacks to get your opponent out of your face. Why not take the easier and more useful way?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
No.. i was pressing X. And hitting X with your index finger to do it fast enough (even if it DOES work) seems hard as hell and won't be able to be used very often. I doubt you will be able to move your fingers fast enough (since you're basically changing your whole grip) on reaction and be able to do it even on the non-multi hit attacks to get your opponent out of your face. Why not take the easier and more useful way?
Just because YOU can't do it effectively, doesn't mean no one else can (no offense). I just tried it again my friend's Rob dSmash and fB and MetaKnight's tornado. Press Y and B at the same time is the same effect. For ME (and I'm not pushing this on everyone because every one has different tastes) the ability to DI with tap jump off is different when weaving attacks. Watching your videos and Emblem Lord's, I see your Marths are very grounded so weaving isn't as important.

The distance from the Z button (where my right index rests) and the Y button is hte same as from X to C-Stick. If you can get used to moving your finger from X to jump and cSticking aerials, there's really no reason why you can't get used to moving from Z to Y with your right index finger.

Edit: you need to press Y (or X) and B at the same time. You don't have time to press the X and move your thumb all the way to B. That doesn't work.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Here's where the difference comes in. If Rob is in the middle of hitting me with his Dsmash (which is not telegraphed) then you're going to have a hard impossible time recognizing that Rob is hitting you with a dsmash in mid combat, and then hitting Y and B simultaneously while holding, without dropping your shield by accident, every single time. If you try and press Y and then B with your thumb very quckly, you're getting hit by ROB's dsmash, because it's a continue attack, and you have only like 2 frames to execute. Somehow, I'm highly doubting you perform this technique consistently in mid-combat, unless you're some sort of controller wielding ninja.

Just trust us Shortfuse, we're really trying to help you out here. There's no reason that you should be accidentally jumping when you try to use Dancing Blade. Just practice.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
There is no difference. It's just a matter of getting used to. I got used to it in one day. Just press Y with your index finger when pressing B with your thumb. You still hold your shield up. There is zero difference. Maybe my fingers are longer but I have no problem in doing it.

It's the same thing as the Jump Cancelled Reverse Up Smash Hit (which I discovered, btw). You use X or Y to jump instead of up..

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for saving me from nubish ways, this should improve my game some for sure.

I was actually considering learning to shdl in melee so I could leave it off but now I find that that is just silly ><. Although Im still gonna learn to shdl and jcshine, I need moar techskill.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
LOL, first of all those vids are old as hell and you are supposed to be grounded in marth dittos or you'll eat an fsmash to the face. If you can reliably get this to work and use it in more situations than just multi hit attacks then go for it. I doubt it though. Just saying.

∫unk

Smash Master
Look, if you're training your thumbs to be fast enough to be able to do this, you can save a whole lot of time by training your thumbs to just have more control over your analog. That's pretty much what this comes down to.

There's a reason why people with some **** fast fingers like Mike Haze (see melee fox) leave tap jump on instead of dealing with this.

Top Bottom