• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Left 4 Dead Series (New DLC planned!)

Handorin

Smash Hero
The scout uses occasional mild swearing.

No Dismembermant? If you blow up, pieces go everywhere!

Ladybug

Smash Lord
Cel-shaded body parts exploding is funny. I wonder what L4D would look like cel-shaded. I'd totally make that mosd if I could figure it out. :D

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*BUMP*

Left 4 Dead's Crash Course Out Next Week

"Valve announced today that Left 4 Dead's Crash Course DLC will be out next week.

September 29 is the date you'll be able to play through the new campaign on both 360 and PC, which acts as a bridge between the No Mercy and Death Toll campaigns found in the main game.

The 360 version will cost you 560MSP, while the PC version is free."

Also, the L4D2 demo is being released on October 27th (pre-orderers get first dibs)

http://kotaku.com/5365562/left-4-dead-2-demo-coming-next-month

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/23/left-4-dead-2-demo-running-straight-for-xbox-pc-on-october-27/

"Speaking about upcoming co-op zombie shooter Left 4 Dead 2 at EA's Tokyo press conference today, Valve's Kim Swift announced intentions to release a demo on October 27. Though no platforms were explicitly mentioned, we're betting pre-orders on both Xbox 360 and PC platforms will be getting first dibs, as Valve has already stated.

From what we understand, the demo will feature multiplayer, though we're not sure to what capacity this will extend. Either way, Xbox 360 and PC owners will get a chance to try out at least some of the 10 melee weapons well before the game's November 17 release. We'll ask EA for more details on the demo as the Tokyo Game Show continues this week."

Puddin

Smash Lord
Darn, I was under the impression that it was out today. Sucks that I'm stuck paying for it, I should have expected as much from M$. The only good thing coming from this (for 360 users) is new Achievements, which only come from paid DLC, but PC users get achievees with this anyway so it's really not that much of a bonus. Now my only fear is the achievements requiring me to put myself through Expert with LIVE Pub games again...

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Serris' Custom Campaign Directory
Helping you get more for your money.

7 Hours Later *NEW!*
By AGRESSOR

5/5 Maps (100% Complete):
  • Forest
  • Bridge
  • Forest highway
  • Factory
  • Forest airport
Modes Supported:
  • Campaign
  • Versus

DeadCity *UPDATE!*
By ilcannibal

Campaign & Versus

Survival

5/5 Maps (100% Complete):
  • RiverSide City
  • Back Alley
  • Draw Bridge
  • Water Plant
  • Subway Station
Modes Supported:
  • Campaign
  • Versus
  • Survival

Dead Echo *NEW!*
By Valar

4/5 Maps (80% Complete):
  • The Sewer
  • The Streets
  • The Supermarket
  • The Woods
Modes Supported:
  • Campaign
  • Versus
Serris' Custom Campaign Directory

UPDATE:

The forest-themed outdoors campaign 7 Hours Later has been added to the directory.

DeadCity has been updated to version 10, introducing map layout changes and the long-awaited skybox fix.

If you haven't checked it out already, I recommend you download the Dead Echo campaign. While unfinished, it offers well-constructed maps and some challenging crescendos.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Oh God...I got on the LIVE Marketplace this morning to buy Crash Course, and I saw that it was 800 instead of 560, I nearly blew a friggin gasket in rage thinking Microsoft had actually raised the price for their own greedy needs. Turns out it's just a mistake and they're working on fixing it. **** you Microsoft, **** you to hell.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Oh God...I got on the LIVE Marketplace this morning to buy Crash Course, and I saw that it was 800 instead of 560, I nearly blew a friggin gasket in rage thinking Microsoft had actually raised the price for their own greedy needs. Turns out it's just a mistake and they're working on fixing it. **** you Microsoft, **** you to hell.
Yeah saw that. Goddammit, I wanted to play Crash Course tonight, but it's like last time with the DLC. lol. We're gonna have to wait.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
If you browse the official steam forums and go to the l4d sub-forum there are a lot of threads asking when the Crash Course DLC will come out today. :(

They will probably reimburse players who bought it for 800 M$ points, calm down.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*BUMP!!!!!*

It's released!!

http://store.steampowered.com/news/

"Crash Course delivers new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay and bridges the storyline between the No Mercy and Death Toll campaigns in the original game. To celebrate, we are offering Left 4 Dead at 50% off for 3 days. Or share the fun - get the Left 4 Dead Four Pack and give the game to your friends.

While containing both Survival maps and a Co-operative Campaign, the primary goal of Crash Course is to deliver a complete Versus mode experience in just 30 minutes, resulting in a streamlined version of the game's existing Versus campaigns.

Learn more about the free, all-new free Crash Course DLC on the Left 4 Dead Blog."

EDIT: Everyone is trying to update L4D so the Steam servers are slow right now. It keeps on saying "Steam servers are busy. Try again in a few minutes".

I finally got it to start downloading! Currently at 9% 30 KB/s!!!!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Update completed! Only took 2 and a half hours lol. (download stopped a few times...)

EDIT: Some players are complaining that it's short... :/

Charizard92

Smash Champion
It was good except I can't seem to keep any of my achievements. I got the "Beat the campaign" and "reactivate the generator in 30 seconds" achievement, but when I rechecked, It said I didn't earn them. WHY?!?!?!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I just beat the Crash Course campaign on normal and advanced mode. I will try expert mode next time.

It's pretty short and it took them a while to create this. Hope they plan on releasing more DLC for L4D and continue to support it when L4D2 is released later this year.

Also, I wouldn't pay for this DLC. Poor 360 owners... :(

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I just beat the Crash Course campaign on normal and advanced mode. I will try expert mode next time.

It's pretty short and it took them a while to create this. Hope they plan on releasing more DLC for L4D and continue to support it when L4D2 is released later this year.

Also, I wouldn't pay for this DLC. Poor 360 owners... :(
The L4D2 boycotters have already confirmed more DLC coming for L4D in the form of either a new infected, new weapons or something else (They couldn't specify further than that because of Valve).

Ravin

Smash Lord
Considering that this map is real short and could have been done with a fourth grader and G.W. Bush with a crayon id say that I am not looking forward to anymore DLC unless its stunning and I get an RPG. :V

But no... This DLC was really what you got your monies worth.

Nothing.

Handorin

Smash Hero
The L4D2 boycotters have already confirmed more DLC coming for L4D in the form of either a new infected, new weapons or something else (They couldn't specify further than that because of Valve).
It really isnt because of them, but it makes them feel happier I guess.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Considering that this map is real short and could have been done with a fourth grader and G.W. Bush with a crayon id say that I am not looking forward to anymore DLC unless its stunning and I get an RPG. :V

But no... This DLC was really what you got your monies worth.

Nothing.
All Valve did was take the opinion of the people playing this game "We don't like leavers!!!" and create an answer to it (A campaign that delivers a shorter, more intense experience).

Handorin

Smash Hero
You are missing the point

It usually isn't enjoyable to go through several teams because of either rage or time problems. Going through a whole campaign twice takes a long time. After awhile it can get a bit dull.

So they created a shorter campaign that (I assume, havnt played yet) is fast paced, hectic, and enjoyable.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Its not the games problem then. Its the people that play with no real concern of them leaving mid match.

you get people like that in every game, but shouldn't mean you limit your game because people rage quit because they don't know how to play or don't like their team.

So no, thats not really a valid excuse for "Making the maps smaller." If it was three, I could understand, but I bet you anything in L4D2 they arnt going to be 2 maps per campaign and its going to be back up at 4 or 5...

I see your point plenty. I see more BS then a valid reason.

Handorin

Smash Hero
There is going to be the normal amount in l4d2.

The rest isn't worth arguing over. I'll just leave it at that.

Some people you can just never please though. -_-

Ravin

Smash Lord
Its not the fact of pleasing, its the fact don't set a structure of a campaign to be a certain number. People expect that.

Yes, Im prefectly happy that a multimillion dollar company made me a map that is infected paradise with weapon spawns out the rear so I never feel any real threat of wasting ammo, losing all sense of what the game actually was and I enjoy the six or seven death pull spots that will kill a teammate if they arnt paying attention.

This map rocks.

My main concern is they could have done better. It seems like they dropped the paperwork on some poor guys desk one afternoon and he goes. "Oh ****it..." This is not work id expect from a company who made HL and CS.

So no. I am not impressed.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
This new content is AWESOME.

• Some boarded-up doors are openable and offer a nice view into the skybox.
  • The skybox on the second map is just as low as Death Toll: The Town, if not lower. This makes high-damage Hunter pounces extremely difficult.
  • The barricades and objects in the Survival Mode version of Crash Course: The Alleys are not clipped. You can walk back to the safe room and fight off the horde there.
  • Sometimes interacts with custom campaigns with original sound files to create some strange audio glitch that involves custom music overwhelming the rest of the sound in the game, requiring a rebuild of the audio cache.
  • The feature involving lobbies announcing whether or not a leader is searching for a server has been removed.
  • The game now forces players to automatically host a local server without prompt if a dedicated server can't be found.

Proof that Valve didn't test this campaign nearly enough, and that they didn't listen to the community when everyone unanimously cried that the ceilings were too low.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Oh, I should mention they did give us a whole campaign, just spread out over the game types.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh, I should mention they did give us a whole campaign, just spread out over the game types.
Really? Cause Campaign and vs were exactly the same.

This new content is AWESOME.

• Sometimes interacts with custom campaigns with original sound files to create some strange audio glitch that involves custom music overwhelming the rest of the sound in the game, requiring a rebuild of the audio cache.
Ugh. This was unbearable. Is there a fix for this, or am I going to be playing deaf cosntantly for the first map?

Yes, Im prefectly happy that a multimillion dollar company made me a map that is infected paradise with weapon spawns out the rear so I never feel any real threat of wasting ammo, losing all sense of what the game actually was and I enjoy the six or seven death pull spots that will kill a teammate if they arnt paying attention.
Haven't seen any of the death pulls, but definetly agree on the overpowered item drops. Yeesh.

I think what bugs me is that all this DLC was was just 2 maps (and a handful of achievements) The original plan was for this map to be out before E3. I don't see any reason why the hell it took so long.

The only thing I'm kinda glad for is for the final'e event having a touch of L4D2 in it, as opposed to the normal "camp for all of it and get to da choppa" finales of the other campaigns. Looking forward to other custom maps that people make with it.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Right off the bat when you jump down from the one box room when you pass the forklift. You can't jump back up the small lip.

Middle of the map when you have three ways to go, one of them is a drop off, a smoker can pull the last runner back down and you have to go around the block to save him, which by then he will be dead in most cases.

The drop before the Finale is another death pull.

Those are the three that I could remember off the top of my head. I love my floating boomer though and getting stuck around in the map unable to move ;D

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Info from ladder I play on
I was interested in exactly HOW much item spawns have increased. I also, fortunately, have saved a copy of my L4D folder before the update so it was quite easy for me to do some testing on how much item spawns have increased.

Testing for the new version was done on a dedicated server that has not been modified in any way. Testing on the old version was done on a local versus server that also has not been modified in any way (verified game cache before backing up folder and have not touched it since 1st of Sept).

The method I used was quite simple, I loaded up VS DA1 and went through the map counting item spawns and repeated this five times.

I'll start with the good news, yes, it seems item spawns are completely the same for both teams, here is the bad news.

New (Avg):
Pills: 4.2 (Always a pill/medkit in the greenhouse)
Pipe: 2.8
Molly: 5 (Always 1 or 2 mollies before the usual tank spawn)

Old (Avg)
Pills: 1.2
Pipe: 1.2
Molly: 1.4 (Sometimes a molly before the usual tank spawn)

Even more depressing is the medkit spawns. You are basically guaranteed a medkit spawn, sometimes 2. In the old version, over the course of 5 restarts I was only able to find 2 medkits.

I also loaded up a longer map (DA3) and counted all item spawns in that, I did not have time to do a 5 run average so this is from a single walk through.

New: 34 Items
Old: 19 Items

Again, I noticed a trend where the new version has a larger proportion of health items and more than double the health kits as compared to the old version.
I heard from console land that it was common to see teams getting 13(!) medkits on BH3, 17 when you include

4 in saferoom
1 Under pipe at start
1 Behind Turbines
1 Behind tree at top hill
1 Camp site
1 Back campsite
1 Bottom of stairs
1 Back bottom room
1 Front bottom room
1 Tain shed
4 in the med cab

Going to make pub l4d without cevo frustrating for infected, people will have to rely on tank/witches or quadcaps.
Apparently that sound issue is due to addon campaigns, but I am really weighing up either deleting good custom maps, or not playing a terribad 2 map campaign from valve.
For any server owners who don't want the excess items:
Me and a friend used these following commands on a local VS server:

director_pipe_bomb_density X
director_pain_pill_density X
director_molotov_density X

Where X is a number, we tried values from 0-10. Using DA1.

Using default (6.48) there were basically 3-4 items of each (health, pipe, molotov).

When we changed it to 0, we had a decrease but not significant, I don't think this cvar works if you set it to 0.

Setting it to 1 we had 1 of each spawn up, we repeated it twice and in once instance we didn't get any pain pills or health packs.

Setting it to 10 enabled every spawn point on that map and we basically had 1000 throwables.

This is preliminary testing on a local server. I would appreciate it if those of you with access to dedicated servers try this out and see if this works.

You will need sm_cvar to access these.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Middle of the map when you have three ways to go, one of them is a drop off, a smoker can pull the last runner back down and you have to go around the block to save him, which by then he will be dead in most cases
survivors can't just jump down/shoot the smoker?

Top Bottom