• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Left 4 Dead Series (New DLC planned!)

Puddin

Smash Lord
Scavenge Mode > Versus Mode. That is all.
Definitely. Versus mode is too much of an investment in time really, Scavenger can be played in a matter of 20 minutes or so, some Versus matches last double the time of a regular campaign (my average time for campaigns is an hour,) so I don't always have time to sit through the motions of survivor/infected for every single chapter.

Has anyone managed to get all 16 cans in a single round? I did it in a Pub match, it was great.

I guess by Versus I meant any Player Infected vs Player Survivors.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
You'd be surprised. I've done my best on easy, rushed ahead of my team (CPU's) and the Special Infected, popped some adrenaline to avoid the Tank and make it to the chopper, and still haven't been able to do it. Maybe the problem is the AI players, if only they would die faster the Chopper would leave as soon as I get in it...
It took me three tries. (I incapped my AI team on expert, then switched to easy). The first time the tank messed me up, the second I forgot to set it to easy, and the third time I got it (I poped the adrenaline after the bridge to the rush to the heli').

I managed to get all the achievements linked to the parish, Dark Carnival, Swamp fever, and Hard rain. It is ****ing rare to find a hazmat infected with a bile bomb. It is also pretty hard to kill a tank with melee weapons, or not pick up a gun, and considering that I never survived expert on the original L4D (when the campaigns were, well, easier), Realism is still a pipe dream. Outside a few "over time" achievements and awards, most of the missing achievements involve Non-Jockey infected (and Rode hard, put away wet), survival, and Scavenge (you won't believe how quick it ends).

The Campaigns are definitely brutal this time around, and I already have a hated one:

My views on:
Dead Center:
Hell doesn't really come until the mall. Going through a burning hotel with pistols and melee weapons isn't hard (especially since of the adjective "burning"), and the town is somewhat of a cakewalk. Once you reach the Mall, you're instantly sent into a labrynth, which is hard, confusing, and pretty deadly. Even the cresendo is rough (and it's just a run to deactivate the alarm [actually, all of those are brutal]). The finale definetly requires teamwork, and some method to perform. The best method is to throw gas cans onto the first floor, and then pick them up later, but it does require at least one partner, since the atrium's design prevents a fast reaction in case a loner is pounced/smokered/etc. Just be grateful you get to drive Jimmy Gibbs car.

Dark Carnival:
Interesting. The highway is somewhat hard to navigate, and the same with the carnival. The real hard parts are the cresendos of The coaster and the Barns. While all "deactivate alarms" are brutal, none is as so as the coaster, which takes you on twists and turns filled with zombies. The Barn's cresendo seems like a normal defend yourself one, until it tells you to run to the saferoom. Did I mention to tell you that the zombies are coming from the direction you need to be going? Fortunately, the typical finale is kinda fun, and the stage is actually a good place to defend yourself. not only that, but the scaffolding with the sniper rifle is also incredibly good as well (ladders=funnels). However, just try this with the gnome, Valve dares ya.

Swamp Fever:
Cluster****. Much of the level is underwater, making navigating hard and slow. Somehow, this level kills me, a lot. The Plantation is OK, I mean it is kinda easy to funnel Zombies on the porch, but then again, Valve sometimes throws two tanks simultaneously at you. This is just plain aggravating, and it's no wonder it's only 4 chapters long, this swamp is hell.

Hard Rain:
While voted the second Hardest campaign, I personally don't see why. The first part's a breeze (just remember to leave supplies for the finale), and the second bit isn't that hard until the sugar field (pretty much all the witches are still easy to avoid, since they move they'll leave necessary passages, etc.) When that comes around, you have to find a method of not hitting a witch, and you're home free once you're out. The return trip is full of water, but most of it is avoidable (in contrast to swamp fever), and the finale can be done on the roofs (actually, I prefer the roofs, since you can move easily, see zombies coming, and you're just a drop down to supplies).

The Parish:
One of my more favorite campaigns, since I know what to expect from the demo, and since the finale tank IS COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE! The Campaign isn't as Brutal as swamp fever, and doesn't have the painful crescendos Dark carnival has but there are difficulty spikes (especially when the director is especially cruel/you're as lucky as Keith).

Puddin

Smash Lord
I usually save a molotov for the Dark Carnival Barns crescendo event so that I can throw it in there and then run to the safe room through the fire. My team appreciates it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The swamp is the worst ****ing stage for vs unless you've played it a billion times. Too easy to plan an ambush and then find the **** survivors are supposed to go the other way. :mad:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Aww Mic <3
Finished all the campaigns and I gotta say, Hard Rain is amazing.

I like Dead Center for versus. It's a nice length (Four maps).

Swamp Fever's first level goes for waaaaaaay too long. And using the charger to drown someone at the first crescendo is too broken.

I love scavenge as well. Bite sized versus that's a little different and focuses on the usual core gameplay without crescendos to abuse/witches/tanks etc

Might play some now :)

Puddin

Smash Lord
Has anyone had to deal with two tanks yet? I was camping in the foyer of the Plantation on the second floor while my team was all out on the balcony. My plan sucked because the tanks kept spawning in the hole in the roof, and eventually I had two spawn up there and died.

I think you guys might be interested in this.

http://kotaku.com/5410978/undead-labs-crafting-console+based-zombie-mmo

It's a Zombie MMO, but it's for consoles so I guess it only applies to me and a few others. Success.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think two tanks always spawn in the plantation house in the second wave.

It's happened to me consistently. But only in campaign mode.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Same here, definetly remember having two pop up in advanced.

EDIT: Oh hey look, 16 player mode!
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/11/sixteen-player-co-op-lets-survivors-outnumber-infected-in-l4d2/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TXQHRUGFdnU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TXQHRUGFdnU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I have, just a few minutes ago. The other team sucked, and we were using a system to get as much fuel in as possible (This was the motel)

Handorin

Smash Hero
Has anyone had to deal with two tanks yet? I was camping in the foyer of the Plantation on the second floor while my team was all out on the balcony. My plan sucked because the tanks kept spawning in the hole in the roof, and eventually I had two spawn up there and died.

I think you guys might be interested in this.

http://kotaku.com/5410978/undead-labs-crafting-console+based-zombie-mmo

It's a Zombie MMO, but it's for consoles so I guess it only applies to me and a few others. Success.
Just because we have it for PC, doesn't mean we don't have consoles. ;)

Some games are meant to be on PC, and others for console. If it ends up only on the wrong side, then we just have to deal with it. =(

S

smash brawl player 99021

Ok I played through Dark Carnival and Dead Center. IMO, it was ok. The new infected are pretty cool, and the new guns are a nice addition..but it didn't feel like the Left 4 Dead I used to know. With the different missions i.e. Fueling up the racecar to drive out of the Mall. That seemed as if it was a little out of place...But I am glad that it actually has a Storyline now. That was a good improvment. But I was a little dissapointed. Seemed as if it was basically the same game (which it was ;)).
8.5/10

Puddin

Smash Lord
Ok I played through Dark Carnival and Dead Center. IMO, it was ok. The new infected are pretty cool, and the new guns are a nice addition..but it didn't feel like the Left 4 Dead I used to know.
That's because if any core element of a sequel is similar to the original in anyway it is simply rehashed garbage, not worth the money, could have been a free expansion/update, or any combination of the three. Oh jee wait, is that what a sequel is? Well gosh, I better boycott this.

Story is basically just connecting the campaigns. Could have done the same thing for L4D, only real difference is that the survivors in L4D were thrown in to random scenarios, while the survivors in L4D2 have the goal of reaching Naw'Lans. Sure the graffiti and scenery delves a bit deeper into CEDA, carriers, and shows a bit more backstory, but that's about it really.

Healer

Smash Apprentice
who has the pc version of L4D2, if so is there cheat for JImmy Gibbs jr to appear?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You can spawn him with a console command

map atrium
sv_cheats 1
z_forcezombiemodelname common_male_jimmy
z_forcezombiemodel 1

Healer

Smash Apprentice
would you guys prefer they let jimmy spawn instead of take him out of the game (well not completely apparently)?

Darkslash

Smash Master
would you guys prefer they let jimmy spawn instead of take him out of the game (well not completely apparently)?
well honestly, Jimmy has 1000 HP if I recall and a Tank has the same amount of HP. Plus with such a small frame, you would be wasting ammo just trying to hit the guy.

But then again, it would be funny with the quotes coming from survivors.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
well honestly, Jimmy has 1000 HP if I recall and a Tank has the same amount of HP. Plus with such a small frame, you would be wasting ammo just trying to hit the guy.

But then again, it would be funny with the quotes coming from survivors.
Correction, same health as the witch.

He also somewhat acts like a mudman, incapable of being set on fire (due to the high tech safety suit he wears) and spreads motor oil on your face. He'd be like an uncommon infectd (same damage, etc), except with 100-10 times the health.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Correction, same health as the witch.

He also somewhat acts like a mudman, incapable of being set on fire (due to the high tech safety suit he wears) and spreads motor oil on your face. He'd be like an uncommon infectd (same damage, etc), except with 100-10 times the health.
Why would Valve go to the trouble of making a Zombie model with special properties like the Uncommon, with different MudMen screen effects, 1,000 Health, and a flame retardant suit just to have him not appear in the game...

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Why would Valve go to the trouble of making a Zombie model with special properties like the Uncommon, with different MudMen screen effects, 1,000 Health, and a flame retardant suit just to have him not appear in the game...
My guess is that originally you were to hunt him down to get the keys to the car, but considering how hard hunting down one zombie is (even if he just comes at you), filling up a car is easier and equally plausible.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I dunno, fuel cans scattered around a shopping mall doesn't seem as plausable to me ;)

Healer

Smash Apprentice
I'm just talking about the demo here (hah I'm waiting for my brother to buy the actual game) but who thinks L4D2 is easier than L4D?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Whoever does never played L4D and abused the "All get into a corner so the infected cna't do anything to us" strat that works on every single corner on every single level.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't see anything that makes it not, though the fact that scoring is based on distance rather than health might affect things in that regard. Personally though, I can't see any reason why it couldn't be.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yeah, there's no more huge bonus for actually making it inside the safe room rather than dying a few metres away from it.

You'd probably be a better judge of its balance than most though Bowser.

S

smash brawl player 99021

This is just my opinion but I actually like L4D better than it's sequel ;)

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Heads up, guys. I updated the guide with the latest patch to fix the crash and intro problems in all of the campaigns. Be advised that it may or may not cause the Left 4 Dead 2 campaign intros to become... bugged. Download at your own risk.

Healer

Smash Apprentice
Whoever does never played L4D and abused the "All get into a corner so the infected cna't do anything to us" strat that works on every single corner on every single level.
I never really did that unless i got Boomed on, maybe thats why they put melee fatigue.

@IcyDeath: I liked them both but L4D will always have a special place in my heart (okay not really it's just a game) because of the memories, it brought some of my family together (me,my bro, my lil cuz, and our uncle) ahhh goood times, gooooood times.

@Serris That L4D levels on l4d2 engine (well they are probably the same engine) sounds so cool too bad I wouldn't be able to do that on my computer due to it's major suckiness

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Thanks, but I'm actually trying to find where the sounds are in the directory so I can replace them with a few of my own songs.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Thanks, but I'm actually trying to find where the sounds are in the directory so I can replace them with a few of my own songs.
I think it might be:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\sound\music\flu\concert

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Ignore the last guide I made. This is much easier and doesn't break your campaign intros:

Download this, extract it to your Left 4 Dead 2 directory and overwrite.
Now download this and extract it to your Left 4 Dead 2 "addons" folder.
After that, copy your Left 4 Dead "maps" and "sounds" folders and merge them with their Left 4 Dead 2 counterparts. Just don't overwrite anything.

Puddin

Smash Lord
DLC Speculation anyone? I'm hoping for a bridge between the old survivors and the new, like Valve promised. Heavens knows Valve would never break a promise.

Top Bottom