• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Hype!!

R0Y

Smash Master
Countdown timer until Nintendo Digital Event:

http://www.webcountdown.net/?a=3k3sF24

Here's the Wii U tech demo back at E3:

Hoping for a real, remember, Nintendo said that Zelda U was almost revealed at E3 last year but wasn't complete enough.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Oh, we're definitely getting Zelda U though. Never mind the fact that Aonuma said it back in October, but look at Nintendo's background for the countdown page.

Other than knowing that it's going to be unlike anything we've ever seen before, that's all we know for now :p

KatKit

Smash Lord
It will be extremely risky and unlikely... and I'll get hate for this... but if it's possible to play the game with the gamepad AND Wii Remote motion controls, that would be so fun, in my opinion. Handling both at different times for different situations would be like Link managing his own equipment. I know they were wonky for some people, but personally I loved Skyward Swords controls. And the gamepad hasn't been utilized to its fullest potential; I believe a Zelda game can show it off best.

With that being said... I hope they show something off at E3 again. Take your time with this, Nintendo (like always); this has so much potential. I'm thinking it'll be the biggest Zelda game yet, as far as content is concerned.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I hope it's nonlinear. That's the thing I've wanted most in a Zelda game since WW started the hand-holding revolution.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I remember back when the Legend of Zelda sub-forum wasn't completely inactive. . .

. . . Anyways, I love the Legend of Zelda, so it goes without saying that I am incredibly excited to see this game. Prepared, even (with Monolith Soft's "X" coming in as a respectable second-place). Just for the sake of doing so, I'm going to address area's as to where I / we can be speculative, and perhaps post personal idea's / wants for the game.

Art direction:

Alright. . . So, according to Aonuma, he does not want Zelda Wii-U to be "ultra-realistic" or "cartoony-realistic", but rather something unique and new. Taking that into account, we can safely dismiss an appearance akin to say, a Skyrim, and also one akin to Wind Waker HD. Then there also lies the early Wii-U tech demo we received a couple of years ago, showcasing what the game could look like in HD. I don't believe that's what we'll be seeing, but, I do believe it will be something close to it (slightly 'lesser', one could say). When Aonuma talks about it being unique and something you won't really see anywhere else, it leads me to believe they will do something more stylized this time around (example, the heavy brush strokes of Okami, or the yarn style Kirby and Yoshi, etc.). Now how they go about that is anyone's guess; Surrealism, baroque, rococo, etc, or perhaps just something not as specific, but just emphasis on heavy character outlines or whatever. Art can really be anything, as it will be the games visual expression, so we'll really just have to wait and see, but it's fun to imagine.

Personal preference - My favorite (general) graphical approach would be one found in games such as such as Xenoblade Chronicles, or Ocarina of Time (N64 or 3D) / Majora's Mask, but in HD. To me, those art direction's give off a sense of realism (appearance, the attention to detail, etc.), while not being realistic, and retaining color and vibrancy. Having something akin to that, with their own stylized aspect to it would be beautiful (to me)! Also, I can't recall what thread this was in, but about a week ago someone had the idea of the Legend of Zelda adopting the Studio Ghibli art-style (Princess Mononoke, Ni No Kuni, etc.), and I truly believe that would be brilliant. While it would never happen for this upcoming Zelda Wii-U title, perhaps a collaboration for a 'side' game of sorts (like Hyrule Warriors), being "The Legend of Zelda: RPG" or something like that. . . I think it would be cool, anyway. ;w;

Over-world and game-play:

So, how is this game going to play? Well, Aonuma has been consistently talking about non-linearity, so much so that I'm not even going to "Link" it (ha ha). Perhaps with a couple of exceptions within the game (say the first two temples or whatever), I believe the game will progress through the direction in which the player desires or find themselves in (i.e. the recent "A Link Between Worlds"). Further carrying from ALBW is the rental / buying system; While I didn't mind it in that game, I don't know whether or not that will be making a return. Personally, I don't think it should in that exact manner, but rather should be split up into being able to buy items at different market locations, finding items in the over-world, obtaining some through side-quests, etc. To me, I think having them all available at the start in the same location and requiring the same method (collecting and spending your rupees) leaves a lack of variety and 'challenge' to be desired. Not that that system is bad (it was a decent step forward in the right direction), I just see much more potential. To briefly touch upon controls, I'm leaning towards this game being gamepad only (maybe pro-controller support, but I don't know), as I think they are going to at least try and show the appeal and benefits towards a game that wants to seriously implement with some thought. Obviously that means I believe motion controls will be absent as well. While I thought they worked fine in Skyward Sword (I never once had a problem with them, to be sure), and I enjoyed it, I didn't enjoy it as much as traditional combat methods (analog and button presses), and I really don't feel the need to see them implemented ever again (at least with the Wii-U; It draws some focus away from the gamepad anyways, which Nintendo doesn't want to do).

Personal Preference - Hhmm. . . Well, is it fair enough to just say that I want a complete and fun game? Ha ha. I suppose I am on board with the non-linear approach this time around. While I don't mind the linear story-telling approach games like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask presented, in recent times, it's kind of obvious Nintendo has been getting a little stale with it, so going "back to its roots" is much welcomed as far as I am concerned. I'd like the difficulty to be overall better; By that, I don't mean Hero mode right off the bat or whatever, but things like the A.I. being a little more intelligent and aggressive wouldn't really hurt anyone, I don't think (or maybe it would? Hue hue hue). Side-quests should be throughout the game, having a balance between stronger sequences found in games such as Majora's Mask, and "fetch-quests" found in games such as Xenoblade Chronicles (defeat _____ enemy this amount of times, get _____ amount of these items, etc.). Additionally, small scattered mini-dungeons should be able to be found in hidden caves, grotto's, etc, with the rewards varying from items, weaponry, rupees, etc (for both side-quests and mini-dungeons). Basically, I just want a lot to do in a vast world with character interactions, side-quests, secrets, etc.

Story, post-game, DLC (and preferences):

I would absolutely LOVE for this game to have a compelling narrative and whatever, but I'm not expecting anything in the higher J-RPG territories (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc.). There's really nothing to go off of on what this game could even be about, so I suppose I just hope the story interests me. That being said, while I do really want to see Ganon / Ganondorf in HD, I've started to become comfortable in the hopes of a new antagonist this time around, and I don't mean someone who is bullied out at the last second (*cough* Zant). With Ganondorf being absent, the plot won't have to focus on the traditional Triforce aspects, but could be something more endearing like Majora's Mask. Regardless of whichever, though, I don't think I'd ultimately mind in the end, unless it was very generic. Post-game, again, I think could be handled fairly easy if there are a variety of side-quests and whatever throughout the game. Now DLC on the other hand. . . I can't say I am opposed to it. While I obviously don't want day one DLC or whatever, I wouldn't mind say, a few months post-release that Aonuma decides he wants to add in some new territory including a new temple and side-quests or whatever. I'm indifferent as to whether DLC is included or not, I don't really care. If done right, I believe it could be great, though the fan in myself would probably buy whatever DLC hit the game anyways. If not, then. . . Well, whatever, as long as I have a complete game.

"What if" story (me just speaking out my imagination) - Imagine Hyrule has been taken over by the villainous threat(s) of the game. Many of the people within the Kingdom and its local towns have either been captured or killed, forcing the survivors to take refuge underground. The core populace and area of the game is an underground refuge established by the remaining Hylian denizens, with much focus on poverty and what-have-you. The player (Link) is born into this poverty, and knows only stories of how life was post-villainy rule. Basically, the focus of the plot would be to overthrow and reclaim the once had establishment of Hyrule Kingdom. . . I don't know, it's just an idea that had come across my mind, and I thought it sounded sort of endearing. Figured I'd share that little bit, anyhow.

Weather(!):

I would also love to see some kind of weather system (again, I'll reference Xenoblade Chronicles) implemented in Zelda Wii-U! I'd love to be traversing Hyrule field, then experiencing rain, a thunderstorm, etc. Or imagine varying levels of snowfalls on a mountain or whatever. . . A weather system is aesthetically pleasing, as well as a touch to the overall experience.

Phew. . . I ended typing more than I had initially had planned. I know there are still area's in which I hadn't touched upon (possible online interactions, for example), and I could probably come up with limitless idea's for what could potentially be in the game, or what I would want, but I'll leave it at what I have for now. It's safe to assume that I am excited for this game, and although I may have said a lot, I don't believe any of my expectations are really all that far-fetched. E3 is only a few weeks away, everyone. I'm really hoping Nintendo can deliver something special with the big reveal, and I am looking forward to the information to come!

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I hope it's nonlinear. That's the thing I've wanted most in a Zelda game since WW started the hand-holding revolution.
Wind Waker was the least linear Zelda since the first one after you got past the first 1/3 of the game. That 1/3 did feel a bit like hand-holding though, I'll give you that.

So, how is this game going to play? Well, Aonuma has been consistently talking about non-linearity, so much so that I'm not even going to "Link" it (ha ha). Perhaps with a couple of exceptions within the game (say the first two temples or whatever), I believe the game will progress through the direction in which the player desires or find themselves in (i.e. the recent "A Link Between Worlds"). Further carrying from ALBW is the rental / buying system; While I didn't mind it in that game, I don't know whether or not that will be making a return. Personally, I don't think it should in that exact manner, but rather should be split up into being able to buy items at different market locations, finding items in the over-world, obtaining some through side-quests, etc. To me, I think having them all available at the start in the same location and requiring the same method (collecting and spending your rupees) leaves a lack of variety and 'challenge' to be desired. Not that that system is bad (it was a decent step forward in the right direction), I just see much more potential. To briefly touch upon controls, I'm leaning towards this game being gamepad only (maybe pro-controller support, but I don't know), as I think they are going to at least try and show the appeal and benefits towards a game that wants to seriously implement with some thought. Obviously that means I believe motion controls will be absent as well. While I thought they worked fine in Skyward Sword (I never once had a problem with them, to be sure), and I enjoyed it, I didn't enjoy it as much as traditional combat methods (analog and button presses), and I really don't feel the need to see them implemented ever again (at least with the Wii-U; It draws some focus away from the gamepad anyways, which Nintendo doesn't want to do).
Aye! I've been thinking about how they could make the game really atmospheric. What really comes to mind is atmospheric effects and Skyrim-esque exploration. Atmospheric effects like powerful rain storms, snowstorms in mountains, and sunny, turquoise beaches (ala Great Bay in MM.)

KatKit

Smash Lord
Story-wise, I always liked the idea of a threat so big, it threatened the Triforce itself. So Link and Zelda are forced to team up with Ganondorf. And once said threat is eliminated toward the end of the game, Zelda attacks Ganondorf and tries to justify her actions because she knows he'll try to do something villainous. And Ganondorf is all like "What the heck? Link, stop her. I did nothing." And Link is hesitant. He has to side with his arch enemy to stop subdue Zelda, of all people. And then Ganondorf accidentally strikes a conflicted Link, while defending himself from Zelda, which pisses her off even more. Zelda doesn't have the wisdom to find a peaceful solution. Link doesn't have the courage to hold Zelda back. Ganondorf is powerless against Zelda's onslaught. Then all of this turned out to be the plan of the threat I mentioned earlier. The game has only halfway begun. Everything gets thrown into chaos. The true ending will be bittersweet. Their roles will be more traditional, ending in Ganondorf's defeat because he betrays them later on and whatnot. But you know he does it because it is his destiny.

Also, I like almost everything in Creo's post, gameplay-wise. I hope this has a lot of options to acquire items to make the game less linear.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I remember back when the Legend of Zelda sub-forum wasn't completely inactive. . .

. . . Anyways, I love the Legend of Zelda, so it goes without saying that I am incredibly excited to see this game. Prepared, even (with Monolith Soft's "X" coming in as a respectable second-place). Just for the sake of doing so, I'm going to address area's as to where I / we can be speculative, and perhaps post personal idea's / wants for the game.

Art direction:

Alright. . . So, according to Aonuma, he does not want Zelda Wii-U to be "ultra-realistic" or "cartoony-realistic", but rather something unique and new. Taking that into account, we can safely dismiss an appearance akin to say, a Skyrim, and also one akin to Wind Waker HD. Then there also lies the early Wii-U tech demo we received a couple of years ago, showcasing what the game could look like in HD. I don't believe that's what we'll be seeing, but, I do believe it will be something close to it (slightly 'lesser', one could say). When Aonuma talks about it being unique and something you won't really see anywhere else, it leads me to believe they will do something more stylized this time around (example, the heavy brush strokes of Okami, or the yarn style Kirby and Yoshi, etc.). Now how they go about that is anyone's guess; Surrealism, baroque, rococo, etc, or perhaps just something not as specific, but just emphasis on heavy character outlines or whatever. Art can really be anything, as it will be the games visual expression, so we'll really just have to wait and see, but it's fun to imagine.

Personal preference - My favorite (general) graphical approach would be one found in games such as such as Xenoblade Chronicles, or Ocarina of Time (N64 or 3D) / Majora's Mask, but in HD. To me, those art direction's give off a sense of realism (appearance, the attention to detail, etc.), while not being realistic, and retaining color and vibrancy. Having something akin to that, with their own stylized aspect to it would be beautiful (to me)! Also, I can't recall what thread this was in, but about a week ago someone had the idea of the Legend of Zelda adopting the Studio Ghibli art-style (Princess Mononoke, Ni No Kuni, etc.), and I truly believe that would be brilliant. While it would never happen for this upcoming Zelda Wii-U title, perhaps a collaboration for a 'side' game of sorts (like Hyrule Warriors), being "The Legend of Zelda: RPG" or something like that. . . I think it would be cool, anyway. ;w;

Personal Preference - Hhmm. . . Well, is it fair enough to just say that I want a complete and fun game? Ha ha. I suppose I am on board with the non-linear approach this time around. While I don't mind the linear story-telling approach games like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask presented, in recent times, it's kind of obvious Nintendo has been getting a little stale with it, so going "back to its roots" is much welcomed as far as I am concerned. I'd like the difficulty to be overall better; By that, I don't mean Hero mode right off the bat or whatever, but things like the A.I. being a little more intelligent and aggressive wouldn't really hurt anyone, I don't think (or maybe it would? Hue hue hue). Side-quests should be throughout the game, having a balance between stronger sequences found in games such as Majora's Mask, and "fetch-quests" found in games such as Xenoblade Chronicles (defeat _____ enemy this amount of times, get _____ amount of these items, etc.). Additionally, small scattered mini-dungeons should be able to be found in hidden caves, grotto's, etc, with the rewards varying from items, weaponry, rupees, etc (for both side-quests and mini-dungeons). Basically, I just want a lot to do in a vast world with character interactions, side-quests, secrets, etc.

Story, post-game, DLC (and preferences):

I would absolutely LOVE for this game to have a compelling narrative and whatever, but I'm not expecting anything in the higher J-RPG territories (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc.). There's really nothing to go off of on what this game could even be about, so I suppose I just hope the story interests me. That being said, while I do really want to see Ganon / Ganondorf in HD, I've started to become comfortable in the hopes of a new antagonist this time around, and I don't mean someone who is bullied out at the last second (*cough* Zant). With Ganondorf being absent, the plot won't have to focus on the traditional Triforce aspects, but could be something more endearing like Majora's Mask. Regardless of whichever, though, I don't think I'd ultimately mind in the end, unless it was very generic. Post-game, again, I think could be handled fairly easy if there are a variety of side-quests and whatever throughout the game. Now DLC on the other hand. . . I can't say I am opposed to it. While I obviously don't want day one DLC or whatever, I wouldn't mind say, a few months post-release that Aonuma decides he wants to add in some new territory including a new temple and side-quests or whatever. I'm indifferent as to whether DLC is included or not, I don't really care. If done right, I believe it could be great, though the fan in myself would probably buy whatever DLC hit the game anyways. If not, then. . . Well, whatever, as long as I have a complete game.

"What if" story (me just speaking out my imagination) - Imagine Hyrule has been taken over by the villainous threat(s) of the game. Many of the people within the Kingdom and its local towns have either been captured or killed, forcing the survivors to take refuge underground. The core populace and area of the game is an underground refuge established by the remaining Hylian denizens, with much focus on poverty and what-have-you. The player (Link) is born into this poverty, and knows only stories of how life was post-villainy rule. Basically, the focus of the plot would be to overthrow and reclaim the once had establishment of Hyrule Kingdom. . . I don't know, it's just an idea that had come across my mind, and I thought it sounded sort of endearing. Figured I'd share that little bit, anyhow.

Weather(!):

I would also love to see some kind of weather system (again, I'll reference Xenoblade Chronicles) implemented in Zelda Wii-U! I'd love to be traversing Hyrule field, then experiencing rain, a thunderstorm, etc. Or imagine varying levels of snowfalls on a mountain or whatever. . . A weather system is aesthetically pleasing, as well as a touch to the overall experience.

Phew. . . I ended typing more than I had initially had planned. I know there are still area's in which I hadn't touched upon (possible online interactions, for example), and I could probably come up with limitless idea's for what could potentially be in the game, or what I would want, but I'll leave it at what I have for now. It's safe to assume that I am excited for this game, and although I may have said a lot, I don't believe any of my expectations are really all that far-fetched. E3 is only a few weeks away, everyone. I'm really hoping Nintendo can deliver something special with the big reveal, and I am looking forward to the information to come!
Yes I like this. I can't wait for e3

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Aye! I've been thinking about how they could make the game really atmospheric. What really comes to mind is atmospheric effects and Skyrim-esque exploration. Atmospheric effects like powerful rain storms, snowstorms in mountains, and sunny, turquoise beaches (ala Great Bay in MM.)
^^ Yes! I had mentioned weather / atmospheric effects myself, actually. I thought that they brought so much more depth into Xenoblade Chronicles' over-world, and it I'd imagine that it would be a very fitting addition for the Legend of Zelda series as well.

I almost can't believe that this thread hasn't had more activity. . . Then again, I understand that most people don't venture into these sub-forums, so I suppose it's whatever. Ha ha. Today is (or at least should be) the day, everyone! I'm really excited to see what the Legend of Zelda for Wii-U will be all about.

Edit: So, we were able to see a little bit of what is to come! The art style reminds me of Skyward Sword, but instead of a water color focus, more on shadow lighting and stuff. The apparent draw distance and attention to detail (such as in the amount of blades of grass swaying in the wind). . . I'm very pleased, and I can't wait to see more!

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
^^ Yes! I had mentioned weather / atmospheric effects myself, actually. I thought that they brought so much more depth into Xenoblade Chronicles' over-world, and it I'd imagine that it would be a very fitting addition for the Legend of Zelda series as well.

I almost can't believe that this thread hasn't had more activity. . . Then again, I understand that most people don't venture into these sub-forums, so I suppose it's whatever. Ha ha. Today is (or at least should be) the day, everyone! I'm really excited to see what the Legend of Zelda for Wii-U will be all about.

Edit: So, we were able to see a little bit of what is to come! The art style reminds me of Skyward Sword, but instead of a water color focus, more on shadow lighting and stuff. The apparent draw distance and attention to detail (such as in the amount of blades of grass swaying in the wind). . . I'm very pleased, and I can't wait to see more!
Yeah, the art style reminds me of Skyward Sword a bit but with Wind Waker shading.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Yeah, the art style reminds me of Skyward Sword a bit but with Wind Waker shading.
And Link is a girl? Are we sure about that yet, I would be fine with it, but that's certainly a change

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
i want to like it but link face just ruins it for me

looking at it make me i don't know what to say im felling lots a right now i been a fan of zeld my whole life but to see link look like this is just bad

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
i want to like it but link face just ruins it for me

looking at it make me i don't know what to say im felling lots a right now i been a fan of zeld my whole life but to see link look like this is just bad
That is something we will get used to. It took a little time for SS Link to grow on me

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm really, really digging the new tunic.

I think people who are saying that this new game is going to be "Zelda meets Skyrim" need to seriously calm down. I'm certain that when they said you could go at the game at any angle they meant is going to be like Link Between Worlds where there's a linear story, but you're free to complete the dungeons if any order you wish.

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I really don't mind Link's new design at all (nor do I believe that he looks like a girl). As for the "Zelda meets Skyrim" talk, whatever. . . Ha ha. I'm fairly certain that it's not going to be Skyrim just off of the fact that I can't see this game being really heavy in RPG-like aspects (though touched upon is fine).

I really can't wait and want to see this game in motion from a game-play perspective. Ah, I just want to see more / play it. Next year should be pretty good.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Link looks fine imo, I like the cel-shading, and the eyes really pop out.

Khao

Smash Lord
I did this thing for fun:

Doesn't look that different once you get a hat on him.

Also, why the heck's people everywhere that genuinely believe this Link is a girl for some reason? He looks just as girly as ever, kinda effeminate but definitely a boy.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I did this thing for fun:

Doesn't look that different once you get a hat on him.

Also, why the heck's people everywhere that genuinely believe this Link is a girl for some reason? He looks just as girly as ever, kinda effeminate but definitely a boy.
look at my post above you can see lumps on ''his'' cheat

Lozjam

Smash Champion
right above the belt around his cheat and his face it looks feminine
That's just a shadow of his arm. In real gameplay we won't really see it, but at this close up and this frozen frame it just looks this way.

Khao

Smash Lord
Okay, I think, I see what you think's a breast, and lol.

That's either just clipping, or just the shape of his clothing, every other picture contradicts that.

Unless you think there a new breast expansion item or something.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Aonuma says:

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=230420

I was sure it was Link before, but hmmm.. I hope gender and that aren't customizable.

I hope he's just fooling around and it is Link.

Remember, Aonuma wants us to recoil at first saying "Is this even Zelda?" And then we get further into it saying "this is zelda." I can provide you the quote if needed. But we all need to calm our ravenous fanboys inside us(trust me, it will be hard for me), because this series does need change. So let's welcome anything Aonuma-San has to offer us.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Hhmm. . . I believe we all had assumed, prior to Aonuma's statement, that this was in fact just Link in a new design. That being said, now that I've looked at it with the open possibility that it might not be Link, I did notice that this character is right-handed, whereas traditionally, Link is left-handed (aside from the Wii controls of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword). . . It's something to contemplate, anyway.

Edit: It was also confirmed by (I believe) a Nintendo representative that what was shown was in fact running on an in-game actual Wii U engine, and not up-scaled on PC or what-have-you. That's great to hear, and I really am looking forward to seeing more of this game in the near-future.

Edit 2: This may or may not matter, but I'd like to believe that the horse shown is not Link's noble steed Epona, either (based off of past designs), but who knows?

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Perhaps players will have the option to choose Link's handedness this time around, since he's been a righty the past few games. Or perhaps, as many have speculated, the character shown could be someone entirely different. Or maybe some of the animators at Nintendo goofed up and it was too late to fix it.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Perhaps players will have the option to choose Link's handedness this time around, since he's been a righty the past few games. Or perhaps, as many have speculated, the character shown could be someone entirely different. Or maybe some of the animators at Nintendo goofed up and it was too late to fix it.
Nooooo. It would not be the animators fault, as it is actually running the game. It isn't CGI (Cough Cough SONY), that's whoever he/she is in the actual game

finalark

SNORLAX
Nooooo. It would not be the animators fault, as it is actually running the game. It isn't CGI (Cough Cough SONY), that's whoever he/she is in the actual game
You are aware that the folks who make the models, even the in game ones, move are animators, right?

Lozjam

Smash Champion
You are aware that the folks who make the models, even the in game ones, move are animators, right?
Yes, but they would not make a mistake like that. See, if a third or second party company made this trailer, I could see that happening. But the actual developers? No, they would have a reason for making the character shown right handed. The animators would not make a mistake like that, Aonuma would make sure of that. Remember they have been working on this game since 2011. This isn't some last minute we have to create a build from scratch for E3, they were probably planning on showing this exact teaser last year. It is possible that something comes up in development that they change the character left handed, but this was intentional. I am 100% sure of that.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
So it has been confirmed by Aonuma himself that the character in the trailer is in fact Link, and no, he's not a female (really doesn't look like one to me, either). This is pretty much what I had expected, but with his previous meaning and words misunderstanding, even I felt it to be appropriate to indulge in the "What if" scenario.

In other news, Aonuma also said that Zelda Wii U will be playable at next year's E3 (also mentioning that the graphics in the trailer were in-engine, actual visual fidelity), and that he has been checking fan reactions of the reveal when he's able to (he finds that fans commenting to Link having a more feminine appearance, or akin to a female is interesting as well).

With any luck, our next look on this game will probably be at Gamescom in August, or perhaps at TGS (Tokyo Game Show)? Or it could just show up in a random Nintendo Direct, too. Ha. No one really knows as of yet, I suppose.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
So it has been confirmed by Aonuma himself that the character in the trailer is in fact Link, and no, he's not a female (really doesn't look like one to me, either). This is pretty much what I had expected, but with his previous meaning and words misunderstanding, even I felt it to be appropriate to indulge in the "What if" scenario.

In other news, Aonuma also said that Zelda Wii U will be playable at next year's E3 (also mentioning that the graphics in the trailer were in-engine, actual visual fidelity), and that he has been checking fan reactions of the reveal when he's able to (he finds that fans commenting to Link having a more feminine appearance, or akin to a female is interesting as well).
Yuo. He also said that the trailer is running off the in-game engine.

R0Y

Smash Master
Beaten to it. Yeah that's Link and probably male, as I thought all along.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have to recognize that I was very satisfied with the way this Zelda was announced: no showy and epic trailer in the excess, and on an intimate way by Aonuma.

The latter finally seems to have understood that Zelda is an important series for Nintendo, but that it wasn't necessary to over-glorify it more and that it's about time also to stop taking its fans as cash cows.

And he does also well to keep the cel-shading style which corresponds better to what Zelda has to be for him (Deal with it TP fanboys / chorus girls).

The chara-design is still remaining to see, because the one from Skyward Sword, except for Zelda, Ghirahim and Demise, was... No comment.
But after having seen Link, that seems well gone.

finalark

SNORLAX
I have to recognize that I was very satisfied with the way this Zelda was announced: no showy and epic trailer in the excess, and on an intimate way by Aonuma.
Actually, I've noticed that Nintendo has been downplaying the hype in the last few Zelda games. Skyward Sword, A Link Between Worlds and now Zelda U have all had relatively quiet announcements. I assume this is because Nintendo wants to avoid repeating the mistake they made with TP, where they hyped the game up to astronomical proportions but it ultimately backfired in the end because no matter what they made there was no way it could have lived up to the promise.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is where 80% of the TP hate comes from, none of this "empty overworld bull****"

Top Bottom