• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Less-than-likely Pokemon Reps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Ditto is the ultimate clone character. Plus, he literally can replace Dunsparce.

This might be how they choose their characters. Every Pokemon Name on a Random Name Selector. Pokemon it lands on gets put into Smash Bros. Unless its already in or is unfeasible.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As much as I hate these little buggers, I would have loved to beat the mess out of everyone with a Zubat. This is whether it's a stand alone character or owned by a Rocket Grunt.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
The thing is that Zubat isn't feasible. It does have any arms. Donphan works because of its truck and grass types have vine whip.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It has a mouth. Ivysaur lacked arms...

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Well, how can people play as a character that doesn't ever touch the floor? Impossible to kill.

D

Deleted member

Impossible to killl, no. They'd be VERY EASY to kill, considering they're already hovering above the ground. :troll:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
They won't be killed by falling past the bottom of the stage boundary. And then there could be no edge guarding.

D

Deleted member

....you're joking, right?

We have winged characters in Smash, and they can still fall to their demise as they don't have infinite flight.

Hypothetically, let's say Zubat is playable.
Here's how it would work.

After jumping say, 5 times, it falls and needs to land. This means it can't fly anymore until it touches land.

It falls off stage, it get's KO'd like normal. If it does land, it roosts for a second, then starts hovering above the ground where it landed, while still low enough to be hit.

Get it?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
i'm not against Zubat because it has wings. I'm against it because it never touches the ground! At least Meta Knight, Pit and Charizard have been seen with their own feet on the ground!

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo doesn't touch the ground other than standing.
If Zubat's legs were to touch the ground when it's idle, it would be no different.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
i'm not against Zubat because it has wings. I'm against it because it never touches the ground! At least Meta Knight, Pit and Charizard have been seen with their own feet on the ground!
Oh, well. Though it's evolution, Golbat, has legs and could touch the ground. Plus, it's big enough to be a threat to anyone. Aw who am I kidding, the whole Zubat evolutionary line is annoying. Golbat ,though it's less likely, was seen standing in a few 3D Pokemon games.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Why does it matter? Their movements and dashing mechanics work the same way as the rest of the roster, they don't make anyone else obsolete.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Gen 4 has great pokemon that can be in Smash.

The thing with Gen 4 was that it mostly focused on expanding previous pokemon evolutionary lines.

Also Scizor needs its own forum!
I'll start a Scizor for Brawl 4 Thread if the mods think it is popular enough to not be lumped in the "less likely pokemon" thread. Any supporters out there that would support this?

D

Deleted member

You missed the point of the quote.
My point was despite Lucario talking in Brawl as the movie Lucario did, Lucario was still a video game character due to being a Pokemon from D/P.

Same issue would happen with Meowth; despite a talking Meowth only being in the anime, a playable Meowth can still be able to talk to reference that Meowth.

grizby2

Smash Lord
oh, ok. i see.

but a talking meowth by himself just wouldn't be the same :|

they'd have to add team rocket (not necessarily jessie and james) along with meowth in order for me to take the bite.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also the fact the Misty trophy is wearing her anime clothing despite her wearing nothing but a bathing suit in the games

and her being naked in the card games.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I'll start a Scizor for Brawl 4 Thread if the mods think it is popular enough to not be lumped in the "less likely pokemon" thread. Any supporters out there that would support this?
I would so support any actually good second generation pokemon!! But bonus because it Scizor and he was one of the first Pokemon that expanded evolutions! And he is awesome!

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
This might be repeated, but I do like the idea of Ditto. It has a rather weak moveset on its own, only suited to make good Ditto dittos. However, by pressing a combination of buttons on the Stage Select Screen, it can copy the opponent exactly; except it has more damage output (or perhaps only knockback, bigger shield, etc.) than the opponent. Two things keep this from being broken. The person who got copied must know their character in all its weaknesses well; therefore, even with better damage output, it opponent will have the advantage over you. Second, the Ditto main will have to practice (or at least have an ample understanding) all characters in the Roster, or else they will be in a disadvantage. We are looking at a cast of 40+ characters, so doing the aforementioned preparation will not be easy. A potential game-breaker, however, would be if it could use SideB, UpB, DownB, and NeutralB to switch between damage output-, knockback-, big shield-, and priority- versions of the opponent.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Also, you're fine making a Scizor thread. The Dragonite thread isn't locked, and Scizor's got a better chance than him!

D

Deleted member

The Dragonite thread isn't locked, and Scizor's got a better chance than him!
What makes you say that?
Neither have that great a shot, and like I said before, Scizor doesn't get his Gen 2 status or being a Bug type as reasons for his likelihood.

It's not like Dragonite is unpopular either, given that it's very likely that Iris' Dragonite has probably raised a bunch of popularity for the species.

Scizor was deemed unfeasible during Melee's time, but it's hard to imagine Dragonite being that way as well, given that it's like Charizard but slightly more humanoid. And size is DEFINITELY not an issue here, as Dragonite at Ganondorf's height is very beleiveable.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Wow. I wasn't the one talking about gens or types on the general roster discussion by the way, in case you were confused.

Anyway, I think he has a better chance than Dragonite because he is GENERALLY more popular, and enough for Sakurai to take notice. He seems like he has tons of move-set potential, not saying that Dragonite doesn't, but Scizor really sticks out at me for a move-set.

Oh, and of course size isn't an issue! Scizor and Dragonite are almost the same size anyway!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I would so support any actually good second generation pokemon!! But bonus because it Scizor and he was one of the first Pokemon that expanded evolutions! And he is awesome!
Scizor for the win! I'd take him or Heracross (the most popular 2nd gen Pokemon) since we need a playable Bug Type somewhere.

jigglover

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter if he's a bug type! Otherwise I want metapod! :troll: But yeah, Heracross above all, I really liked him in the anime and the whole way through the episode I was thinking please god make Ash catch this Heracross! He did!

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I would see Scizor having being a swift character like Sheik is. And I think it's standard attacks would be similar to Pit's.
I would see Heracross being a power based character like Bowser.

Lickylicky!? All he has to do is sit down and the stage collapses! N-NO! I'm sorry lickylicky! Don't use body sla-
And the stage didn't collapse when Bowser, King Dedede, Snake and Donkey Kong, the four heaveist characters on it.

What makes you say that?
Neither have that great a shot, and like I said before, Scizor doesn't get his Gen 2 status or being a Bug type as reasons for his likelihood.

It's not like Dragonite is unpopular either, given that it's very likely that Iris' Dragonite has probably raised a bunch of popularity for the species.

Scizor was deemed unfeasible during Melee's time, but it's hard to imagine Dragonite being that way as well, given that it's like Charizard but slightly more humanoid. And size is DEFINITELY not an issue here, as Dragonite at Ganondorf's height is very beleiveable.
Scizor is probably the requested pokemon character that hadn't starred in it's own movie, isn't a legendary or has been owned caught by any of the main characters in the anime.

D

Deleted member

Do you have any proof of that?
Honestly, it feels as though people overstate how popular Scizor really is.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Besides, Mewtwo, Pikachu and Lucario had their own movies. Plus, What does it matter if they were caught by Ash in the anime? What about Tauros who has been in a total of two episodes? Just because they've been caught by Ash, doesn't mean they star in the anime? I mean, Squirtle and Charizard were caught by Ash, he also had a bulbasaur, the pre-evolution of Ivysaur, but he didn't evolve! Jigglypuff is the one character (besides Pikachu) that is (or was) the second-biggest Pokemon in the franchise, in every other episode, sometimes two on the trot! This could in fact have been a reason for her getting in. And Pichu had had quite a lot of Pikachu shorts under his belt come melee, and they just keep on growing! By your logic Heracross' chances have increased now, since every pokemon, other than Ivysaur, (although it's pre-evolution was the third that Ash caught IIRC) has actually had a major part in the anime. Plusle and Minun's chances are greater because of their semi-starring role in the Deoxys movie. Deoxys' chances are greater because of the Deoxys movie. Heracross' chances are greater since it was one of the first Pokemon Ash caught in Johto. If you were trying to get Scizor's chances up, the fact that he has only had 3 episodes in the anime (IIRC) 1 of wich was a cameo (I think) then you'll get at the fact that that helped every other possible candidate than Scizor, even Gligar!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Besides, Mewtwo, Pikachu and Lucario had their own movies. Plus, What does it matter if they were caught by Ash in the anime? What about Tauros who has been in a total of two episodes? Just because they've been caught by Ash, doesn't mean they star in the anime? I mean, Squirtle and Charizard were caught by Ash, he also had a bulbasaur, the pre-evolution of Ivysaur, but he didn't evolve! Jigglypuff is the one character (besides Pikachu) that is (or was) the second-biggest Pokemon in the franchise, in every other episode, sometimes two on the trot! This could in fact have been a reason for her getting in. And Pichu had had quite a lot of Pikachu shorts under his belt come melee, and they just keep on growing! By your logic Heracross' chances have increased now, since every pokemon, other than Ivysaur, (although it's pre-evolution was the third that Ash caught IIRC) has actually had a major part in the anime. Plusle and Minun's chances are greater because of their semi-starring role in the Deoxys movie. Deoxys' chances are greater because of the Deoxys movie. Heracross' chances are greater since it was one of the first Pokemon Ash caught in Johto. If you were trying to get Scizor's chances up, the fact that he has only had 3 episodes in the anime (IIRC) 1 of wich was a cameo (I think) then you'll get at the fact that that helped every other possible candidate than Scizor, even Gligar!
Just because a major character catches it doesn't mean it's more likely. A major character in the Diamond/Pearl saga catches a Breloom, and it's appeared in nearly every movie since the Deoxys movie. Can I expect it? I wish I could, but I can't. :urg:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I mean that Scizor is a pokemon who hasn't really used the amines or movies to their advantage. Now, the most popular pokemon are usually either a legendary or has been caught by Ash, Brock, Misty, May, Dawn, Jesse, James, Iris, etc. etc.

This include Pikachu, Meowth, every starter to date, Eevee, Munchlax, etc.

Scizor is one of the few pokemon who is popular and not captured by a main character in the anime.

:phone:

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I mean that Scizor is a pokemon who hasn't really used the amines or movies to their advantage. Now, the most popular pokemon are usually either a legendary or has been caught by Ash, Brock, Misty, May, Dawn, Jesse, James, Iris, etc. etc.

This include Pikachu, Meowth, every starter to date, Eevee, Munchlax, etc.

Scizor is one of the few pokemon who is popular and not captured by a main character in the anime.

:phone:
So true! Scizor support thread is now UP!

Spire

III
BRoomer
One Pokémon from each Generation, GO!

If you could choose one Pokémon from each generation (to date) to best represent the series, what five would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom