• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Figure Out the Articles (SUCCESFULLY EDITTED ONE!)

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Articles are like items. They are unedittable with psa. However, with hex, you can edit these just fine.
However, here's the thing-we don't know how to. Yet.
The only example i know of is Pheonix Mario's Fireball.
Hex editting, I have found that articles have animation name like things in them. Currently, I am trying to do something small-delete the ring around mario's hand summoned by the fireball article. If you'd like to help figure out how to edit the articles, please do so. :D I'll put all findings in this first post.

EDIT: SUCCESS!

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Okay. I'm going to try and redo what phantomwings did. Were there any changes in P Mario's fireball damage/hitbox/angle wise?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Okay. I'm going to try and redo what phantomwings did. Were there any changes in P Mario's fireball damage/hitbox/angle wise?
I think the damage went up by 2%, but I'm not sure since all I've seen are videos (and yes, I paid attention tho the damage levels >.>).

EDIT: Also, Mario's fireballs ARE in Mario's .pac, right? If not, I'm clueless to where they are because I'd do something similar.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Did the opposite of Pheonix Mario by accident. Instead of having only the landing fire effect, it has only the bouncing fire effect....I explained that poorly. >.>

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Flash fire Mario was made by accident. (Everytime the fireball lands, it generates a shortly live flash) Still trying to make it do non fire change, and be more than a stupid gfx change (i.e. damage :D)

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Flash fire Mario was made by accident. (Everytime the fireball lands, it generates a shortly live flash) Still trying to make it do non fire change, and be more than a stupid gfx change (i.e. damage :D)
Ah, sounds good.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Through hexxing, changed Ivy's taunts to winning animations. I think that since some of the Pokemon related thing (charizard's stone?) are in a common pac, that they aren't articles, since Ivy had no articles.

In the mean time, any ideas for simple gfx changes? I'm trying to figure out how to use the common ones such as ice and replace it with mario's fireballs. :D
EDIT: May have found ice effects. Thank ju popo.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Through hexxing, changed Ivy's taunts to winning animations. I think that since some of the Pokemon related thing (charizard's stone?) are in a common pac, that they aren't articles, since Ivy had no articles.

In the mean time, any ideas for simple gfx changes? I'm trying to figure out how to use the common ones such as ice and replace it with mario's fireballs. :D
EDIT: May have found ice effects. Thank ju popo.
Link's Boomerang without the tornado.
Link's Arrows with fire on the tip.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Can you give us some codes to work with so we can figure out how to edit the hitboxes through hex? ;)

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
...I thought we already knew we could do this with Hex?

Jiangjunizzy modified Dark Samus' smash missiles to cause freezing on hit and her bombs to have a double-sized hitbox that electrocuted on hit.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Can you give us some codes to work with so we can figure out how to edit the hitboxes through hex? ;)
Haven't figured that out yet.

...I thought we already knew we could do this with Hex?

Jiangjunizzy modified Dark Samus' smash missiles to cause freezing on hit and her bombs to have a double-sized hitbox that electrocuted on hit.
We've known for a while. No ones done too much with it though.

Added ice. Going to make it better than show a pic.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
*raises hand*

I've actually posted my Samus that has ice super missiles and bombs that stun. It's in the character submission thread.

If you use Hex Workshop's "Compare" feature with my file and an unchanged Samus file, you can find exactly what bits I edited.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
*raises hand*

I've actually posted my Samus that has ice super missiles and bombs that stun. It's in the character submission thread.

If you use Hex Workshop's "Compare" feature with my file and an unchanged Samus file, you can find exactly what bits I edited.
Thank you! :D

Untouch

Smash Master
Can you post the .pac?

I wanna mess around and try something and I can't get it working myself.

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
Are there any PSA hexing tutorials around? Not necessarily a huge guide, just one pointing out what is what. The numbers are gibberish to me. -.-

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
On my quest to try and add more sub actions (which i got PSA to read more but it froze ingame), i found ut quite a bit on how the structure of these files are. I never looked into articles that much, but if i am told where they are i could perhaps have a look at them?

Untouch

Smash Master
Yea I was trying to find the line for link's arrow and I must say, someone with any experience in this needs to write a guide.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Here's all I know to do:

First, what I did was use Hex Workshop to compare two hitboxes in which I changed each value. That part is just how I learned and isn't that important for this. Anyway, I got this:

XX0000000000000YYY

XX is the damage. YYY is the angle. If you can figure out the exact damage and angle for the projectile you seek, you can usually search for the above digits in Hex Workshop and find your projectile.

Damage is easy, but finding the angle is hard. To edit Samus, I referred to the codes used in BBrawl. BBrawl, after all, increased Samus' bomb damage and super missile angle. I searched through their Hitbox Modifier Data, and found the section corresponding to Samus.

For those who don't have it, this is how the Hitbox Modifier Data is set up:

Code:
Hitbox Property Mod Data [Phantom Wings, spunit262]
065A9800 00000014 <- first line of Hitbox Property Mod Data
... then the part repeated for each changed hitbox
GGHHIIJJ KKLLLMMM
NNOOPPQQ RRRR0000
SSSSSSSS 00000000

GG character id
HH original damage
II original KB gain
JJ original Base KB
KK original Element
LLL original launch angle
MMM action id
NN new damage
OO new KB gain
PP new Base KB
QQ new Element
RRRR new launch angle
SSSSSSSS new SFX
GG, the character ID, is usually not the actual character's ID for projectiles. Samus' projectiles were ID 6F, for example. They are, however, found near the corresponding character's other hitbox changes.

So, for Samus' bomb, I looked for Samus' data and then searched for a projectile that changed from 5 to 7 damage. (BBrawl changes one of the bomb hitboxes in that way.) When I found it I pasted the original angle into my hex string, searched it in Hex Workshop, and I had found it.

From there, in Hex Workshop, just feel around. The other relevant parameters are found nearby. The flag should make itself immediately obvious, but for the rest you'll just have to make your best guess.

Helpful? Questions?

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
It is helpful, but I'm not very sure how to implement the information. For one, do the 8-digit values on the side mean anything? Are the projectiles usually placed at a low offset?

Basically, do you recommend any settings in Hex Workshop to make the setup a little more understandable?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
It is helpful, but I'm not very sure how to implement the information. For one, do the 8-digit values on the side mean anything? Are the projectiles usually placed at a low offset?

Basically, do you recommend any settings in Hex Workshop to make the setup a little more understandable?
I'm not sure which 8-digit values on the side that you speak of... and, aye, the projectiles have usually been (to my experience) in the lower offsets. In fact, here's the offset of Samus' bomb's damage: 179B0.

I have been using Hex Workshop as-is. So far I've only used the Find and Compare features, really. Those are both very useful though.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Here's all I know to do:

First, what I did was use Hex Workshop to compare two hitboxes in which I changed each value. That part is just how I learned and isn't that important for this. Anyway, I got this:

XX0000000000000YYY

XX is the damage. YYY is the angle. If you can figure out the exact damage and angle for the projectile you seek, you can usually search for the above digits in Hex Workshop and find your projectile.

Damage is easy, but finding the angle is hard. To edit Samus, I referred to the codes used in BBrawl. BBrawl, after all, increased Samus' bomb damage and super missile angle. I searched through their Hitbox Modifier Data, and found the section corresponding to Samus.

For those who don't have it, this is how the Hitbox Modifier Data is set up:

Code:
Hitbox Property Mod Data [Phantom Wings, spunit262]
065A9800 00000014 <- first line of Hitbox Property Mod Data
... then the part repeated for each changed hitbox
GGHHIIJJ KKLLLMMM
NNOOPPQQ RRRR0000
SSSSSSSS 00000000

GG character id
HH original damage
II original KB gain
JJ original Base KB
KK original Element
LLL original launch angle
MMM action id
NN new damage
OO new KB gain
PP new Base KB
QQ new Element
RRRR new launch angle
SSSSSSSS new SFX
GG, the character ID, is usually not the actual character's ID for projectiles. Samus' projectiles were ID 6F, for example. They are, however, found near the corresponding character's other hitbox changes.

So, for Samus' bomb, I looked for Samus' data and then searched for a projectile that changed from 5 to 7 damage. (BBrawl changes one of the bomb hitboxes in that way.) When I found it I pasted the original angle into my hex string, searched it in Hex Workshop, and I had found it.

From there, in Hex Workshop, just feel around. The other relevant parameters are found nearby. The flag should make itself immediately obvious, but for the rest you'll just have to make your best guess.

Helpful? Questions?
I am having a huge amount of trouble finding mario's fireball from this (its changed in balance brawl, so it should be in there).
A possible goal for this thread would be to find where to change every article.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Bump because I love this thread.

Pikachu's thunder is located at 00015BFD. <333

Have any other value locations been found?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Here's everything I have:

Offset of Close Damage of Link's Boomerang: 1D26F
Offset of Link's Arrow hitbox: 1CFC0
Offset of 5% Damage of Samus' Bomb: 179B0

Plaid02

Smash Apprentice
Ok, say I want to add Kirby's Final Cutter article on Pit for Lloyd's demon fang. Does it always have to behave like Pit's arrow? That would be rather odd. It's behavior should act like Final Cutter except go farther and go diagonally down in the air. Is that even physically possible?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
The most you can do to articles is change their hitboxes (through hexing) and appearances (through BrawlBox). Trajectories and behaviors are not yet changeable, so if you make Pit's arrows look like final cutters, they will still act like arrows.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
It looks like Articles and Moves hitbox data are stored in the similar ways.

Pichu's edited bair is at 0x0001F59F, and column 7/8 is angle data (I set to 270 and it spiked), column 0 is damage. In 1F590, I see a stray 8 under column 5, which is the bone I have the hitbox on. 1F5AE, I see under column 1 the KBG I have set. Under 9, I see the BKB. 1F5EA has the Flag from columns A-D.

Looking at thunder at 15BFD, Column 1 is angle data, 15BEE has damage under column 8/9. There are exactly 7/8 spaces here (1-8/9) between these datas, and on bair, it was also 7/8 (0-7/8).

15COC is the bone that the article spawns on, I think. I'm not quite sure. Someone could test with another projectile? It seems to be 11 columns to the right of the angle.

That's all I've evaluated so far. I would not be surprised if 15C57's columns 5-B was the Flag of the article, I should test that now.

EDIT: 15C48's columns 5-7 seem to contain the flag actually. 03 is the electrical effect, 0E looks like the priority, and 83 is the sound effect.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
OK, I seriously think there's something with neutral specials that prevents them from being found. I tried to find thunder jolt and went through 61 angles manually and found nothing but rumble codes. Same thing with Luigi's fireball.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Well, someone did find Falco's laser earlier, so methinks it's just coincidence that some of the neutral specials are hard to find.

Plaid02

Smash Apprentice
The most you can do to articles is change their hitboxes (through hexing) and appearances (through BrawlBox). Trajectories and behaviors are not yet changeable, so if you make Pit's arrows look like final cutters, they will still act like arrows.
Would it be possible to generate a laser, like you did for Zero's Buster, and then change that graphic into the final cutter? That would be acceptable. Perhaps generate Pikachu's instead?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Zero's buster uses projectiles from the Ray Gun and the Super Scope. In fact, it invisibly generates these items and fires them, then deletes them. If you want to/can edit what the Ray Gun fires, then you can do that.

As for generating something from Pikachu... unless you are editing Pikachu, you can't do that.

Top Bottom