• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Figure Out the Articles (SUCCESFULLY EDITTED ONE!)

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely. That's why this thread should be lolraging with activity. The possibilities are endless now! I mean, Kirk made Link's boomerang return ALWAYS, he made his arrows move in slow motion, he made bombs ice element, and I was able to make thunder jolt into a trap, make thunder hit 9 times, I mean, what CAN'T you do?!
Wow, I need to know how to do that. Could you link me to a guide somewhere or simply tell me how its done? Is it a simple as "open pac in hex editor, find offset, modify some parameters and save"?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Hmm... I guess I should make a contribution here as well. *mumble* where was it now? *mumble, mumble* Ah! Here it is.

For anyone savvy enough with a hex editor, you should be able to find the bone an article is attached to if you can find the root location of the article. From there its [Root Location + 0x8] which should hold the bone id. (0xFFFFFFFF if the article is a projectile and doesn't stick to the character)

The Root location is that area with the pointers to all the tables holding the character data (the animation table, B Move table, the GFX tables and the attribute table.) Both the articles and the character itself have a root, but each one differs to some degree in accordance to the module files. (what I'm currently working on)

I know that the root of the character can be found at [[[0x64] + ([0x68] * 0x4) + 0x80] + 0x80] and that pointers to the roots of the articles can be found inside the root of the character (each pointer value needs + 0x80), but because of the modules, the locations of those pointers vary from character to character (hence, being unable to allow PSA to modify them)

Here should be the locations for Mario's Cape and FLUDD

0x1E38C - Cape(root = 0x1E384)
0x1E490 - FLUDD(root = 0x1E488)

Cheers.
Sweet! So I can take the model of Mario's hat, replace someone's article, and attach it to their head? That might actually help me!

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Wow, I need to know how to do that. Could you link me to a guide somewhere or simply tell me how its done? Is it a simple as "open pac in hex editor, find offset, modify some parameters and save"?
Err... If someone's done it before you, yes.

If not, it's more of a "open pac in hex editor, search for damage and angle (if you don't know it for sure, repeat about 35 times, changing all results' angles to 270 one by one to see which is the article you need, find offset on backup), edit each FP found until you figure out which one does what, edit your OTHER backup"

Really complicated XD.

Plaid02

Smash Apprentice
So, I was trying to get help in this thread a while ago about making Lloyd Irving's demon fang attack on pit. Is that actually possible now? I was to replace his arrow article with final cutter, make it go about twice as far as final cutter, and have it go diagonally downwards whenever in the air, moving along the ground when it hits it rather than disappearing. The last part still sounds iffy but the rest of it sounds possible now. Also, the move should be chargable. Is that possible as well?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Are Peach's turnips all different articles or are they the same article that just change how much damage and kb they do?

EDIT: Also, can you make an article follow like Super Sonic does with Sonic?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I believe those articles are part of Super Sonic's model actually. Although I could be wrong, that happens a lot :p

As for turnips, I'd imagine that they were separate

EDIT: I'm gonna be the shrill party pooper and ask that you stop asking if things are possible, because they are. You just need to figure out how. Editing floating points is NOT hard at all.

3F800000 is 1, 40000000 is 2, 40400000 is 3, 40800000 is 4, etc. (Use a calculator). Just change by a small value and see what's different, then write that down. Then move over a little bit, change another one by a small value, rinse and repeat. Really, if we had everyone working on this it could revolutionize PSA hacks.

But I guess... I guess I could go ask Kittycorp... *eye roll*

EDIT: If you need it broken down...

captainchemox 12:06 pm
(12:06:45 PM): but stuff like, 3F800000 is 1, 40000000 is 2, 40400000 is 3,
captainchemox 12:08 pm
(12:08:19 PM): 40800000 is 4, ...but it doesnt follow the pattern exactly, they get exponentially bigger or something like that lol
(12:08:27 PM): in short, calculator will help xD
TheSilencePwnsU 12:08 pm
(12:08:30 PM): lawl okay
(12:08:38 PM): that should help a lot luls
captainchemox 12:09 pm
(12:09:03 PM): first step is to convert what numbers are in there already and take a note of it...then you can test for higher/lower values
TheSilencePwnsU 12:09 pm
(12:09:09 PM): alright

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Er well, we need to figure out how to get a proper wall grapple working on Link then cause it is supposed to be possible. We just haven't figured out how yet.

Since my original idea didn't work....what do you have in mind?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
My guess is that we would have to figure out what the Requirement is for a ledge being in range, find it, then change it to a WALL being in range.

That or we'd have to hardcode everything ._.

shanus

Smash Hero
now time to figure out how to cause the bombs to explode on impact

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
What do I need and where do I look to find out how to edit DK's down b. Trying to edit in a hitbox graphic via PSA 1.3 hasn't really been successful. I'm thinking the ground pounds are an article much like Mario's fireballs.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
What do I need and where do I look to find out how to edit DK's down b. Trying to edit in a hitbox graphic via PSA 1.3 hasn't really been successful. I'm thinking the ground pounds are an article much like Mario's fireballs.
They aren't. It's in SpecialLwLoop under the GFX tab.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I tried that but the hitboxes are way off. It only shows a circle about as big as DK and it extends much farther than that on both sides.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Right, adjusting just the GFX adjusts just the GFX. You need to move the hitboxes over too, hun :p

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Right, adjusting just the GFX adjusts just the GFX. You need to move the hitboxes over too, hun :p
The offsets for all of the offensive collisions are 0 for the attack so in the GFX I set all the offsets to 0. In every other attack I did the same thing (copying the offsets of the offensive collision and pasting them into the GFX) and it works just fine. I copied the parameters in the offensive collisions correctly, but even the size is off. Is there something I'm missing?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The offsets for all of the offensive collisions are 0 for the attack so in the GFX I set all the offsets to 0. In every other attack I did the same thing (copying the offsets of the offensive collision and pasting them into the GFX) and it works just fine. I copied the parameters in the offensive collisions correctly, but even the size is off. Is there something I'm missing?
This is the wrong thread, but you have to do it manually. Offensive colliison is from the center of the character, while GFX is from the bone you have set. The same values do different things for Offensive Collision and GFX.

Is Lizardon's Flamethrower considered an article? Is is possible to successfully give another character (saaaayyyyyyyy....Cpt. Falcon) its Flamethrower?
Yes it is.

Captain Falcon specifically has no articles whatsoever, so you can't add it to him, but you could for other people hypothetically.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
Well, DK's down B is just a giant hitbox (and it's centered on DK), and it has flags to only hit people on the ground. So it should be editable using PSA. I don't really understand making it into Mario's fireballs, though.

Is there any tutorial on how to hex stuff. especially articles? Kirk's major discovery is a big help, but the wall of hex is very disconcerting and most of it doesn't make any sense at all to me.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
Is that the method to the madness that I have bee searching for? YAY

Is that really it? Is there any other hexable stuff that people know how to do?

Thanks, TheSilenceofNoOne! And I feel kinda stupid I missed that.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Everything that you want to change is somewhere below the hitbox. They're called floating points. But they're different for every projectile and character and we're just now figuring out what each does. That's the whole point of that other topic.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
Oh, well that makes sense. Does that mean that we can't really do anything to people that have that "NOTHING FOUND" problem?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
If you're getting "NOTHING FOUND", then you must be doing something wrong. Is the damage and angle in hex?

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Articles are like items. They are unedittable with psa. However, with hex, you can edit these just fine.
However, here's the thing-we don't know how to. Yet.
The only example i know of is Pheonix Mario's Fireball.
Hex editting, I have found that articles have animation name like things in them. Currently, I am trying to do something small-delete the ring around mario's hand summoned by the fireball article. If you'd like to help figure out how to edit the articles, please do so. :D I'll put all findings in this first post.

EDIT: SUCCESS!
Did the opposite of Pheonix Mario by accident. Instead of having only the landing fire effect, it has only the bouncing fire effect....I explained that poorly. >.>
Can you tell me how you removed the ring around his wrist? I'm trying to figure out how to remove effects. Just give me an offset! Anything?

Top Bottom