• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Linguini Presents: Melee, Lovin Da Hitsun - 09/27/08

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'll keep going to Melee tournaments if they're anything like this one was. A chill time with people that aren't total idiots.
...but, its alot of the same people that go to both tourneys...just the people are less angry cause they arent playing brawl and they're playing melee

Smilez

Smash Journeyman
wurd up wurd. who's gonna host the next melee tourney.

u got maddd skillz james imagine if ur exp was better. steven is too good he almost beat me iono why he dont go to more tourneys he doesnt believe he's good or something
I'm going to try to put something in the works for a Melee Tournament at FAU Boca Campus.
AD: We play Melee & Brawl(gay) there every Friday at 7pm - 11ish.

Newayz I've been thinking about asking campus officials if I can host a Tourney there. Keep your fingers crossed hopefully I'll be able to post something official soon.

Again Mad props to LInguini for hosting the tourney Too Good. Next time don't **** the brackets. ("Chops first round...wtf!?!?)lol.

Leh

Smash Ace
...but, its alot of the same people that go to both tourneys...just the people are less angry cause they arent playing brawl and they're playing melee
There were alot of people that went to this tourney that dont go to brawl tourneys.
Plus melee is fun to talk about
and watch
and play

All of this adds up to a much better tourney experience then brawl tourneys could ever hope to offer.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Also alottttt of scrubs that play brawl that would never go to a melee tourney
well yea, but i meant regular tourney goers. The brawl scrubs arent even annoying. You rarely even notice them cause they lose the first two rounds then go home. Whens the last time any of us truthfully even talked to a brawl scrub at a brawl tourney :laugh:

melee is more fun to watch, but to me brawl is more fun to play. I like talking about brawl to my fellow crewmates/players like hrnut and people online.

edit: i guess im technically a brawl scrub that would never go to a melee tourney. Im not interested in getting good at melee. Although i am one step above a scrub, as id go and watch a melee tourney if it were close by and i wasnt busy

Linguini

Smash Master
Everyone that plays brawl and hasn't seriously given melee a chance has no right to speak about the level of fun in the games, lol.

Most brawl people like brawl because they are better at it, yet they are not, its just the relative level of skill in the game is very low. If your at least at a medium skill level in smash then you can have the right to discern the level of enjoyment between the two.
Which in turn is melee,

Proof: Everyone that has switched over from brawl an taken melee seriously likes it tons more.

And ganon is da bomb.

DA BOMB.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Everyone that plays brawl and hasn't seriously given melee a chance has no right to speak about the level of fun in the games, lol.

Most brawl people like brawl because they are better at it, yet they are not, its just the relative level of skill in the game is very low. If your at least at a medium skill level in smash then you can have the right to discern the level of enjoyment between the two.
Which in turn is melee,

Proof: Everyone that has switched over from brawl an taken melee seriously likes it tons more.

And ganon is da bomb.

DA BOMB.
I dont care for fast paced, tech-skill heavy fighting games. As ive told you people many times, I have ****** fingers so tech skill doesnt interest me. I like them slower paced, and simple yet strategic. I liked brawl more than melee after the first two days of playing brawl. I suck *** in both games, but at least in melee i was a scrub that could beat the other scrubs that i played with. In brawl i can't beat anybody and i still like it more.

Melee ganon looks like a fun character to play, and i know for a fact that dr. mario is a fun character to play, cause i play him lol. but i still like brawl more. and not to say that melee isnt a fun game, but i enjoy brawl more. Its just an opinion guys..its not gonna bite

Finch

Smash Lord
I dont care for fast paced, tech-skill heavy fighting games. As ive told you people many times, I have ****** fingers so tech skill doesnt interest me. I like them slower paced, and simple yet strategic. I liked brawl more than melee after the first two days of playing brawl. I suck *** in both games, but at least in melee i was a scrub that could beat the other scrubs that i played with. In brawl i can't beat anybody and i still like it more.

Melee ganon looks like a fun character to play, and i know for a fact that dr. mario is a fun character to play, cause i play him lol. but i still like brawl more. and not to say that melee isnt a fun game, but i enjoy brawl more. Its just an opinion guys..its not gonna bite
You don't "enjoy brawl more than melee." You enjoy brawl more than some ****** version of melee that you think is actual melee in your mind because you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to melee. The game is every bit as strategic as brawl, you just develop more options as your tech skill becomes better. Either pick the game up and learn or just stop talking about it because you're being really ignorant.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
You don't "enjoy brawl more than melee." You enjoy brawl more than some ****** version of melee that you think is actual melee in your mind because you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to melee. The game is every bit as strategic as brawl, you just develop more options as your tech skill becomes better. Either pick the game up and learn or just stop talking about it because you're being really ignorant.
:laugh:

wow, i dont even badmouth melee and i get angry fiery posts directed at me. just imagine what would happen if i yelled something dumb like "**** melee!"

and who are you to tell me what i enjoy and dont enjoy finch? im pretty sure id be the first to know what i do and dont like.

lastly, i bolded when you said tech skill, because ive said hundreds of times the tech skill in melee doesnt interest me. I can quote that part of my post and email/text/FedEX/telegram it to you if you need to see it again

Finch

Smash Lord
I'm mad because I generally respect you as a player but when you say things like "I don't like melee because I don't like tech skill" or "in melee you need tech skill to win" or "the games are different so don't compare them" you just come off as a major scrub and it's a mindset that almost every other brawl player that's been around for awhile has gotten over. I'm just trying to help you out man, but I suppose I can't force you to open your mind. I can guarantee you though that playing melee will make you better at brawl.

I'm not going to explain this anymore because it's all been said before and you've already ignored it.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
melee is not about tech skills is just liuke brawl cept with harder to do and differeent move sets faster paced. its why is not as campy as brawl. if ur good in brawl ur good in melee its how it is. no im talking about pro good not scrubby opinion good. thsoe are jus tthe people who think their good that cant consistently place well for a long time.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'm mad because I generally respect you as a player but when you say things like "I don't like melee because I don't like tech skill" or "in melee you need tech skill to win" or "the games are different so don't compare them" you just come off as a major scrub and it's a mindset that almost every other brawl player that's been around for awhile has gotten over. I'm just trying to help you out man, but I suppose I can't force you to open your mind. I can guarantee you though that playing melee will make you better at brawl.

I'm not going to explain this anymore because it's all been said before and you've already ignored it.
but all those things are true:

Im really not interested in getting good at melee cause of the tech skill not interesting me. I didnt say i dont like melee, cause i like melee. i just like brawl more.

You really DO need some sort of tech skill to win. You dont have to be wavedashing the entire fight, but stuff like SHFFL (thats the short hop fast fall l cancel right?), sometimes wavedashing, and L-cancelling is crucial if you want to win in melee, or at least I believe so.

The two games are so different it IS hard to compare them. I dont see how you couldnt agree with that one. And i AM a major melee scrub. That should be blatantly obvious by the fact that i cant do more than 3 wavedashes in a row with dr. mario :laugh:

For all of you just bystanders in me and finch's conversation, id just like to reiterate that I never said i hated or disliked melee. I just said i liked brawl more, which seems to be just as bad to the general public

Leh

Smash Ace
Im sad for multiple reasons.

1. Saying you dont like "tech skill, fast paced" fighting games means you pretty much cant play any fighting game other then brawl.

2. Melee is not extremely tech heavy, it is if your playing alot of the higher tier characters. But there are alot of characters that arent played very fast.

Melee > brawl
But Faust > Melee
GOING MY WAY

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
gdx i've seen you play diddy... most can say you're diddy is the most entertaining, (and most annoying lol) diddy to watch. you're arial game is on point, and you're consecutive hits...(not combos... no combos in brawl) are also good.

you don't need "super nice fingars" to play melee, you're almost playing the same game, you just need to press L/R whenever you arial. the need for wavedashing/wavelanding/ and other ish is not needed when you're beginning, eventually you'll develop some muscle memory for you're main, and you're set.

I really wouldn't advise you to main DR. mario as he can only be so good. I'd say start with marth/falcon/shiek/fox/falco etc. and get as good as you can with them, if you main falcon, i'll show you some moves.

:lick:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
1. baiken > all, clearly

yea u can compare brawl and melee. melee is a better game. see simple as that.

...lol. you the man chops.

3. Matt, i like Street fighters (regular street fighter, capcom vs snk), I'd like soul calibur if it wasnt so button masher friendly early on. I like the king of fighters games,

4. will, i play Dr. Mario cause i find him the most fun in melee. I mean, i used to play Marth, but i switched over to dr. mario cause he wasnt as much fun.

but you know what, ive had a change of heart over these past...2 hours. Ive decided that imma try to get decent at melee. But does Dr. mario really stand no chance against the rest of the cast in tourneys? I dont expect to win melee tourneys, but I at least want to lose knowing it wasnt my characters fault i lost, but mine

so, who do I main? Note that I dont really like fox or falco. Maybe cause ive played so many of them in my scrub melee days, i dunno

SynikaL

Smash Lord
The only reason you take Melee = Fast Fingers as an axiom is because you've only been exposed to FL Melee. Yes, because of L-Cancel alone, the game does require a bit more dexterity than its sequel, but to compete at a high level, all you really need is smarts, flexibility and a sense of the metagame.

Really, it all boils down to your ability to exploit the metagame under pressure, just like Brawl.

How technical is QDVS? Azen? Wife and Husband? Silent Spectre? I can go on.

Melee simply provides more perspectives with which to approach the game than Brawl, because the game hasn't been stripped of all its variety and gameplay integrity.

-Kimosabae

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
The only reason you take Melee = Fast Fingers as an axiom is because you've only been exposed to FL Melee. Yes, because of L-Cancel alone, the game does require a bit more dexterity than its sequel, but to compete at a high level, all you really need is smarts, flexibility and a sense of the metagame.

Really, it all boils down to your ability to exploit the metagame under pressure, just like Brawl.

How technical is QDVS? Azen? Wife and Husband? Silent Spectre? I can go on.

Melee simply provides more perspectives with which to approach the game than Brawl, because the game hasn't been stripped of all its variety and gameplay integrity.

-Kimosabae
yeah look how technical i am.

(crickets)

exactly his point. I just exploit cheap **** and predict what someone is going to do.

Attacking the air above people FTW!!

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
"dude im colombian and my mom looks like shakira with black hair.

O_O " WTF?????????? on another note linguini i want to kick your **s so badly when can we have a match?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
...and neither of you have given me any suggestions of a good person to use not fox or falco

Life After Death

Smash Champion
gdx i've seen you play diddy... most can say you're diddy is the most entertaining, (and most annoying lol) diddy to watch. you're arial game is on point, and you're consecutive hits...(not combos... no combos in brawl) are also good.

you don't need "super nice fingars" to play melee, you're almost playing the same game, you just need to press L/R whenever you arial. the need for wavedashing/wavelanding/ and other ish is not needed when you're beginning, eventually you'll develop some muscle memory for you're main, and you're set.

I really wouldn't advise you to main DR. mario as he can only be so good. I'd say start with marth/falcon/shiek/fox/falco etc. and get as good as you can with them, if you main falcon, i'll show you some moves.

:lick:
LOL at dr mario not being a good character thats a good one man

im pretty sure he was jk. dr mario is one of the least used good characters. that include sheik but eveyrone kwows sheik is good

Col Bol

Smash Champion
I think you can be good with anyone if you're good enough

Ka-Master got 9th (one suicide away from 2-0'ing DarkRain for 7th, ended up getting 1-2'ed) at FCD using only Luigi, beating people like Speedn (Fox), Forward (Sheik), and many others

Taj beats countless good people all the time using Mewtwo, the "worst" character in the game according to the tier list from like 2 years ago...

I always think people should play who they find the most fun

lamugi

Smash Lord
look at dj nintendo the man is a beast with bowser, and he doest have alot of tech skill just crazy predictions and mindgames! he beat colbol that should just show you how beast he is!

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Look at zoro he plays link and hes frikin amazing.
lol

well, in every fighting game ive ever played ever, ive never picked a character based on their tier..only based on if i like them. So ill stick with ninjadoc

First step: lrn2L-cancel :laugh:

Col Bol

Smash Champion
Look at zoro he plays link and hes frikin amazing.
Ahahaha too true

look at dj nintendo the man is a beast with bowser, and he doest have alot of tech skill just crazy predictions and mindgames! he beat colbol that should just show you how beast he is!
This is also true :D

Also, @ GDX:

I don't like judging people based on which game they like and stuff like that...
If you don't like melee, no one's making you like it or play it; but if you do like it, then by all means go for it

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Gah. I Never Said I Didnt Like Melee. All I Said Was That I Liked Brawl More

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
just wait til all nintendo controllers are gone.

they outta production guize.
then we'll have to use classic controllers and play brawl. FFFFFFFFF.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
just wait til all nintendo controllers are gone.

they outta production guize.
then we'll have to use classic controllers and play brawl. FFFFFFFFF.
they really stopped making nintendo gamecube controllers?

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
they really stopped making nintendo gamecube controllers?
/slowpoke.jpg

the only one's still in circulation in america are the platinum controllers.
you'll see some other colors pop up here and there.

there are still gcn controllers in production in japan, but only available in white with a 10 foot cord.

give it 2-4 more years til they are hard to find like game boy colors and stuff.

heck, remember game boy micro?
that was out for a few months, now they're gone.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
I fvcking hate Nintendo for that. I only like to play with Black controllers, but the ones I currently own are terrible and now I'll never be able to find a new one.

-Kimosabae

Top Bottom