• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
"
At the end of the day, I’m aiming for intermediately-skilled players to be able to properly enjoy the game. Fundamentally, my goal with Smash has been to create an “enjoyable party game”. If you want to enjoy thrilling tactical gameplay, you might be better suited for other 2D fighting games.
I don't understand. Why did he create Pac-Man and Duck Hunt then? Both of them are characters that require a super tactical playstyle, even if you're just playing casually.
Recently, there was a tournament featuring the top Japanese and American players. In 1v1s, the natural tendency is to use low risk moves to gradually deal damage to the opponent. Smash attacks rarely came out, and the matches were prone to becoming long, drawn out affairs. When considering the variety of ways Smash can be played I think this is a waste, but the winner was certainly decided by skill."
I wonder what tourney he was talking about? If it was the invitational, I might be able to understand any resentment he may have towards the competitive scene. ZeRo winning through sudden death, after he was behind in percent? If I created the game, I would resent the competitive scene too, if that's all I saw of it. But then, I would probably watch more tape of people playing, something I'm sure Sakurai has done only rarely.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I wonder what tourney he was talking about? If it was the invitational, I might be able to understand any resentment he may have towards the competitive scene. ZeRo winning through sudden death, after he was behind in percent? If I created the game, I would resent the competitive scene too, if that's all I saw of it. But then, I would probably watch more tape of people playing, something I'm sure Sakurai has done only rarely.
A recent invitational in Japan where Zero and M2K participated and Sakurai was forced to give them their prize after winning. You can bet he was salty.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand. Why did he create Pac-Man and Duck Hunt then? Both of them are characters that require a super tactical playstyle, even if you're just playing casually.
he said intermediate players in high level play they require super tactical but intermediate for pacs it's just using key bell or sometimes galaga, fire hydrant and Pac dot left and right until it lands, duck hunt just spam can, frisbee (side special), and just put out gunman. Im not sure what you think intermediate means if you think people need to put thought into pacs and duck hunt on that level or else you would need to put thought into most projectile based characters

For the tournament in the thread someone commented it but i don't think it was apex because everyone used diddy or sheik, he most likely would of mentioned no versatile characters except for like 6 other characters (duck hunt, pacs, greninja, mac)

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
It's not difficult to see how he'd get bored watching this kind of thing: it's supposed to be a wacky party game and they're playing it very safely and carefully, that's not his vision of the game.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
It's not difficult to see how he'd get bored watching this kind of thing: it's supposed to be a wacky party game and they're playing it very safely and carefully, that's not his vision of the game.
If he didn't like this kind of defensive gameplay then he should have made the game so defensively oriented, with no downsides to rolling and shielding all day long. It's his fault for being a mediocre dev, plus being immature when people don't play according you your liking.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
If he didn't like this kind of defensive gameplay then he should have made the game so defensively oriented, with no downsides to rolling and shielding all day long. It's his fault for being a mediocre dev, plus being immature when people don't play according you your liking.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Way to be an *******.

Anyways, found something that some people here might find useful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7N2xRuXNQdfBnuvCRlwInmEWSo/edit#gid=676821658
Interesting how our dtilt and dsmash is called a 'trip slash' when it doesn't trip...

And what the heck is a 'unknown substate?"

EDIT:
If you haven't seen the leaks yet I won't spoil it for you. So - under the cut.
The leaks -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Jjz-V8jE4&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmo6rFJDFsA&feature=youtu.be
Anyway, one of Link's taunts is highlighted in each of the videos. So what we see here is that even though Sakurai hates Link, he apparently likes his taunts.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Lol those leaks would be a lot more believable if they weren't on 2 separate random people's youtube channels. They did a good job though.
Someone already made a gif from one:

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^I'm skeptical because all the new street fighter games are on systems other than nintendo. But who knows, maybe at E3 we'll hear about a new SF for nintendo and SSB Ryu is promotional for it.

Some people are exceptionally good at game mods so it's hard to tell. There are characters like FFVII Sephoroth in here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPK11ZjaibU
(I'd find a better quality video but I'm downloading a game and my internet is slow as hell atm)

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
I mean if you're so skeptical, you only have to wait until tomorrow when the the direct happens to know if you're right or we're wrong...

Rizen

Smash Legend
^It's good to be skeptical. Otherwise we'd believe all kinds of crazy s*** like bigfoot and Fox news.

Ever see a banana that could take a bite out of you?! :p

But like I said, the Ryu/Roy thing is probably true.

Edit, I'm downloading Nihilumbra for the wii u and it's taking forever.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Ryu/Roy has a lot more proof backing it than the average Fox News story:yoshi:

I came here to say how much I like the title of this thread.

Last edited:

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Those are real lol, so hyped right now.

Tomorrow is gonna be awesome with the new characters and got season finale.

Providing they don't nerf link again lol.

Last edited:

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Here's to hoping that we'll finally get another decent sword fighter, cheers.
Now that I think about it, the only decent swordfighters this time around are Pit/Dark Pit and Meta Knight - both of which happen to be Sakurai's own characters . . . not that it means anything of course :rolleyes:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Greaaaaat, another Marth clone.
Unless this was already planned as DLC, people should have totally voted for someone else to be in the game.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Roy, our boy is back, and he looks awesome. Hopefully he's gone the PM route and is decloned a bit. And as for Ryu, it's awesome to see him here. Ryu is the face of fighting games and him getting to be in Smash is fantastic. Plus, Little Mac vs Ryu can actually happen now.

Top Bottom