• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's nice we're getting new stages too. Frankly the Wii U stage selection SSB4 came out with was a little disappointing even from a casual perspective :ohwell:.

Expected but cool :b:
FD, BF
New and hype :awesome:
Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Circuit, Jungle Hijinxs, Skyloft, Pryosphere, Orbital Gate Assault, Gamer, Garden of Hope, Boxing Ring, Gaur Plain, Windy Hill Zone, Pilot Wings, Wuhu island
Meh :ohwell:
Big BF, Wooly World, Kalos Pokemon League, PS2 Brawl, Bridge of Eldin, Temple Melee, Coliseum, Skyworld, Wii Fit Studio, Wrecking Crew
Happily Returning :b:
Delfino, Norfair, Lylat, Castle Siege Brawl, Port Town brawl, Halberd, SV
New and lame :facepalm:
Mario Galaxy (out of all the awesome Galaxy stage choices the gate was picked?!), Palutena's Temple, The Great Cave Offensive (too big and confusing even for 8 players), Town and City (basically a SV clone), Flat Zone X (a previous Flat Zone clone), Wily Castle (lame layout for this theme), Pac Land (MS Paint auto-scroller)
Why'd these have to return? :glare:
Brawl Mario Circuit, Luigi's Mansion, Congo Jungle N64, 75M, Onett, Yoshi's Island Melee

DLC
Miiverse, Ryu's Stage from SF2 (I think), Dreamland N64

That's a lot of recycled stages.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I am so hyped over Ryu that I may joint he Ryu boards (sucks for them huh?). Check in the video vs Greninja the combo he does.

I am so hyped over Ryu that I may joint he Ryu boards (sucks for them huh?). Check in the video vs Greninja the combo he does.
So long as you always find your way home I suppose we can deal with you wandering about with some poor, sensitive strangers.

Ryu's interesting, I guess. I'd have rather had Viewtiful Joe. Shame about the three Marths, though.

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
I left a note by my brother's computer telling him not to get on the internet today. I wish I hadn't been spoiled literally a little more than 24 hours before I would have found out.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So long as you always find your way home I suppose we can deal with you wandering about with some poor, sensitive strangers.

Ryu's interesting, I guess. I'd have rather had Viewtiful Joe. Shame about the three Marths, though.
Don't worry, I won't stay probably. They'll either burn me alive or the carebearing will make me physically sick. And yes, 3 Marthas is such a bad idea/thing.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Shame it had to be leaked though, I feel like it would've been more exciting if they did an official reveal like Megaman.

Serac

Smash Cadet
I'm glad about Ryu and Roy, however I'm more interested about the balancing. So, do we have some info in the balancing of the game?

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I'm pretty happy about Ryu joining the cast. It's hood to have the symbol of fighting games in Smash.
Though another Martha's clone is bad.
I didn't even watched the video because I want them in the context and the hype for the direct but...GG Sakurai.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Man, I just have to mourn the character that Link is in Smash 4. Why? Why do this to him? Do they not see the real problems with this game? Why go after Link? Even his projectiles are unsafe when the opponent is a fast runner (almost all of the top tier). Link is the perfect character to be destroyed by everyone. Why'd he have to be so bad? Well, I know all these answers, but dammit, it still shouldn't have happened. Triforce of Courage though, right? Can't wait for the day Sakurai stops working on Smash, that'll be the day Link actually has a chance at viability.

But I just don't get it, Sakurai says it's not a competitive fighting game, then there's Ryu (Whom I'm sort of excited about) who is from a competitve fighting game! I know just cause he's in, that doesn't mean Sakurai intended him to be competitive, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

And worst of all, they bring back some little **** from a game over ten years ago, and I'm not sure it was even released in America. They do that, instead of putting in a character that has actually been relevant in the series as of recently.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Ryu confirmed to have additional moves by preforming REAL street fighter inputs.

WOW, my hype is officially too much now.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I'm actually excited about Roy. His moveset was always much flashier than Marth's (which made me like Roy more). Plus he was the main character of the first FE I ever played so that's more brownie points for him. I'm hoping he's a lot better than Lucina though... I'd much rather second Roy than Marthette.

I'm praying to the almighty creator that is Sakurai for buffs to Link... I already offered my soul and 750 rupees as tribute.

Edit: They changed Roy's forward smash animation (or at least what looks like it). He's swinging it with two hands instead of like marth. I just thought that was interesting...

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
It looks like it changes Hadouken in to Shakudatsu Hadouken or EX Hadou the red fireball that does extra hits/hard knockdown in SF games after 2.
I'm really hype for Ryu, and from what I've read this isn't the end of Sora's escapdes, as in there's still more lurking in the future.

Best case scenario is that the game continues to be supported long after intitial release. Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8 have proved thus far that they know how do this the right way.

Last edited:

Serac

Smash Cadet
Sources, now.
Here is a compilation of the Tips from the vault that I found from another thread.

Move

Tip

Hadoken

A projectile from a world-class fighting game. Hold down the button to vary how fast it travels. It’ll disappear after a set distance.

Hadoken

Input the commands from the original series to increase the Hadoken’s power. Use it in midair to make Ryu glide slightly.

Hadoken

Quickly input down, down-forward, forward for 1.25x power. You might have to practice a bit to really figure out howtodo a Hadoken.

Hadoken

Input back, down-back, down, down-forward, forward to unleash a fiery Shakunetsu Hadoken that can deal multiple hits.

Shoryuken

When you enter the original commands, Ryu is momentarily invincible, the move is stronger and looks different…and his shout even changes!

Shoryuken

Input the commands from the original series to become invincible until the move is complete. The move needs no recovery time after landing.

Shoryuken

Input forward, down, down-forward for 1.2x attack power. Think you can pull it off? SURE YOU CAN!

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Ryu will float up slightly when using this move after a jump, making this spinning side kick great for recovering.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Input the commands from the original series to power up the attack. One thing to remember: you can’t use it repeatedly in midair.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Enter down, down-back, back for 1.16x power. Increasing the strength also increases the move’s speed and travel distance.

Focus Attack

Ryu will hold his stance until you release the button or a certain amount of time has passed. Then he’ll unleash the punch.

Focus Attack

By turning the opposite way the moment Ryu punches, he will strike in that direction instead.

Focus Attack

Hitting an opponent with the fully charged version of this move will make them slowly crumple. Time for a follow-up attack!

Focus Attack

You can cancel this move by pressing left or right twice quickly, either while charging or right after the punch connects.

Focus Attack

Ryu can take one hit while readying for this move. This is true until right before he attacks, even when charging the move to maximum power.

Side Smash Attack

Ryu steps forward and unleashes his Joudan Sokutogeri. The tip of his foot is the strongest part, but it won’t hit a small crouching enemy.

Strong Down Attack (Strong)

You might have seen this kick in the original games. Just like in those, you can cancel the move after striking by going straight into a special.

Strong Down Attack (Strong)

Hold down the attack button while crouching to use this move. You can cancel it into a special even if the foe is shielding, but only if you hit.

Strong Down Attack (Weak)

Use this attack by crouching and tapping the attack button. If you hit a downed opponent with it, you’ll knock them back to their feet.

Strong Side Attack (Strong)

Keep up the pressure on a guarding enemy with Ryu’s Collarbone Breaker, a double hit that’s good for shield breaking.

Up Air Attack

This uppercut hits the enemy twice and has a deceptively large range. It’s fairly easy to hit enemies directly over you.

Front Air Attack

Hitting an enemy with Ryu’s foot has higher launch power, while his upper leg is perfect for shield breaking. It’s a good move for combos.

Down Air Attack

This is the only attack in Ryu’s arsenal that has a meteor effect. If it hits, your victim will fly diagonally downward.

Upward Throw

This move kicks a grabbed opponent straight upward. As Ryu brings his leg back down, he’ll hit anyone else unlucky enough to be in the way.

After reading all that I'm gonna get very very salty if Sakurai doesn't give us jab cancel back.

Edit:

Source taken from the Ryu forums.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/e3-update-pre-patch-notes/

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
InB4 Ryu destroys everyone in CQC and becomes the best character in the game.
Plz God yes make him the best CQ in the game...
He looks kinda low tier so far, but maybe the input buffs will really power him through.

Guess there's not much reason to discuss Ryu here non MU wise since there's a board for him now, I mean aside from social not having many rules in general >.>

How do you pronounce that stuff?
Not sure if you actually wanted to know, but phonetically: "Shock' oo' dot' sue' Ha' dough' ken" spoken quickly.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I'm watching the YouTube videos. They guy I'm watching NEVER did Roy's neutral air. Ugh I know what it'll be but I wanna seeeeee
The page i just linked has him using it. It's like Marth's except with more Roy-charm.

His forward smash does great damage and knockback. He's a little slower than Marth in terms of running but his moves looks so fluent... they're more aggressive. Different animations and everything. His recovery is crap but I can deal with that. His aerial game seems up to par with Marth and he's got some pretty nice tilts. His neutral B is ridiculous as well. Much less floaty than Marth I think.. maybe heavier?

Not to mention he just completely looks awesome! You can hear his armor clank as he runs and walks. His voice doesn't sound like a girl either! I'm too hyped.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
The page i just linked has him using it. It's like Marth's except with more Roy-charm.

His forward smash does great damage and knockback. He's a little slower than Marth in terms of running but his moves looks so fluent... they're more aggressive. Different animations and everything. His recovery is crap but I can deal with that. His aerial game seems up to par with Marth and he's got some pretty nice tilts. His neutral B is ridiculous as well. Much less floaty than Marth I think.. maybe heavier?

Not to mention he just completely looks awesome! You can hear his armor clank as he runs and walks. His voice doesn't sound like a girl either! I'm too hyped.
Yeah. I loved Roy in melee it's just a shame he didn't work well in the engine but I think he can shine here

On another boat I'm being hipster as **** and trying not to like Ryu lol

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409

His nuetral special is insane, if Roy ever breaks your shield, you can basically kiss your stock goodbye.
Also, correct me if I'm mistaken but, Roy's Up Special looks likes it can be slightly angled?

Top Bottom