• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
I main Link because I loved him (No homo) and he was always just such a cool character and i loved the legend of zelda series. He has also been my childhood hero. I mained link in every game he is in and will always do so. I also was thinking why do we main him if we are not going anywhere with him and cant even beat top players who play top tiers. But I will never stop playing Link. Its either Link or nothing. Us link mains have to show him that he is really good and it takes lots of skill to play him and win tournaments. But we put the time and effort for link and all of us will have our day. Our day will be becoming 1st place with link at a big/local tournament. We want to show other people his capabilities and that he is just deeply over looked in a bad way. Good luck to everyone in this Link journey

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Well, here's to Sakurai fixing Link's sword game. If next patch comes around and overhauls Link's sword in the way we need it to then I can certainly say without a doubt in my mind that Link can make it to the top...

But until that happens, IF that happens, we got a very long road ahead of us.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
This is why I have top tier back pokets.

Link is my main and I win more battles with him. But I will have one of my higher-up characters fight in round 1. If I win, I will stick with that character until I win the match. If I loose,I go to Link if I am in danger of losing the set. I call this the Lab rat strategy. If a character works, good. If I loose I go to Link. simple.

I am maiming link because I want to grow with him and I genuinely love him but this guy speaks true nonetheless
I swear in one of his vids he said learn low tiers. He makes a good case, but he needs to make up his damn mind.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
This is why I have top tier back pokets.

Link is my main and I win more battles with him. But I will have one of my higher-up characters fight in round 1. If I win, I will stick with that character until I win the match. If I loose,I go to Link if I am in danger of losing the set. I call this the Lab rat strategy. If a character works, good. If I loose I go to Link. simple.

I swear in one of his vids he said learn low tiers. He makes a good case, but he needs to make up his damn mind.
Are Sanic or Pitty Pat top tier characters?

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Okay.
What about :4miisword:?
Here is the thing, no one uses Mii sword do for now they are low tier. But they do have a lot of potential. On Zelda social, some guy rekt me 3-7 with a mii sword.

Speaking of Zelda, hanging there got me thinking, I am oblivious when it comes to Zelda vs. Link MU. any tips or can someone send me the Link to the MU thread? would be most appreciated.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Btw, does anyone else think Link's Smash 4 Dash Attack does more harm than good? It seems to me that FTilt is mch better in most circumstances, and Dash Attack is so slow and telegraphed that even if you've hit the enemy with a bomb or something property, they can still recover.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Btw, does anyone else think Link's Smash 4 Dash Attack does more harm than good? It seems to me that FTilt is mch better in most circumstances, and Dash Attack is so slow and telegraphed that even if you've hit the enemy with a bomb or something property, they can still recover.
I like utilizing it as a roll and tech read (slow ones mind you). Beyond that, it really hurt his already crippling CQC. IMO

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Bottom line.

If you want to win, I mean like REALLY win, you are not going to take link, you are not going to take charizard and blah blah blah. No, you are going to play sheik or luigi or Rosalina...you get the picture.

WE want to be the best we can be with link but when half our discussion revolves around "how to make Link viable" he isn't going to win any major tournament. When these kids look to be the best smash player they can be and aspire to win of course they're going to look at the top. Why wouldn't they?! There isn't some imaginary bar of entry to play sheik. Let them go for it. They'll be scrubby with whatever they use but they are learning a whole new world to this game and they went in with a mindset to win. We can't all be Ash and win with a ****ing pikachu

We made a decision to play a character we fell in love with but we damn well know what that means for us.
Your avatar is fab.

Links dash attack is a kill move so I do expect it to be slow. But the tipper is what makes me cringe.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I actually like Link's new DA since he can't DACUS. You have to start it early but it is a great punisher move. Link's bad mobility needed a strong DA to chase opponents after dodging, landing, being hit by a bomb or boomerang. Hitting opponents on BF platforms is great.

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
We've been ripped off by the gale boomerang. That is why I like customs on. everything else sucks. I wish the normal boomerang should have been Links standard from the start.

I actually like Link's new DA since he can't DACUS. You have to start it early but it is a great punisher move. Link's bad mobility needed a strong DA to chase opponents after dodging, landing, being hit by a bomb or boomerang. Hitting opponents on BF platforms is great.
Its so easy to read through. I just got done fighting a Greninja that kept reading my dash attacks. so frustrating.

Also I am going to a tournament in 3 months. so I got training time.

Why can't Links tether be like ZSS and Lucas? Its not fair. but there recovery option are a bit lacking.

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
^ Punish what? I know you can punish smash attack that have not landed but thats about all its used for.

:4pit: dash attack can punish rolls and can be used out of shields. It even has enough range to edge guard if they don't immediately grab the ledge.

:4greninja: dash attack can dodge projectiles like ZSS laser and Links fully charged arrow.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ Punish what? I know you can punish smash attack that have not landed but thats about all its used for.
I just said what a few posts ago :facepalm:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Btw, I've been trying out bombsliding and it's pretty fun. Out of curiosity though, is it different than Brawl's bombsliding?

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Btw, I've been trying out bombsliding and it's pretty fun. Out of curiosity though, is it different than Brawl's bombsliding?
Yes, in that the full reverse one is significantly more difficult to do because it requires a far tighter sweetspot, and in that you can now do a few of them (most notably the reverse fake-out) easier because when you hold the control stick up it will register all throws on the attack stick, so you can reverse fake-out by throwing with Z then cancelling by rolling the control stick up then pressing the tilt stick back. We also never discovered an item drop fake-out and dthrow fake-out in Brawl.

Additionally you can't bombslide instantly (i.e. out of idle animation, standing still), you need to dash first then input it.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I keep forgetting how sensitive non-Link players are to confrontation :ohwell:.
For the sake of forum activity, what do you guys consider Link's best and worst MU to be?

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
For the sake of forum activity, what do you guys consider Link's best and worst MU to be?
Worst: Fox; Best: Ganon or Dr. Mario

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
I've found the Lucas MU to be heavily in Link's favor, but I haven't played it enough to be certain.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Yes, in that the full reverse one is significantly more difficult to do because it requires a far tighter sweetspot, and in that you can now do a few of them (most notably the reverse fake-out) easier because when you hold the control stick up it will register all throws on the attack stick, so you can reverse fake-out by throwing with Z then cancelling by rolling the control stick up then pressing the tilt stick back. We also never discovered an item drop fake-out and dthrow fake-out in Brawl.

Additionally you can't bombslide instantly (i.e. out of idle animation, standing still), you need to dash first then input it.
The fact that you can't do it from idle in Smash 4 does seem to make it a bit worse than Brawl then? I'm just wondering how useful they proved to be in Brawl compared to how useful they may end up being in Smash 4.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
They're all weak. Cuddled spoiled kid who have been taught that they're special. Parents who focus too much on protecting their children from the horrors of the real world fail on preparing them adequately for when they inally leave the nest and have to face the cruelty of reality on their own. They make this process needlessly hard.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
They're all weak. Cuddled spoiled kid who have been taught that they're special. Parents who focus too much on protecting their children from the horrors of the real world fail on preparing them adequately for when they inally leave the nest and have to face the cruelty of reality on their own. They make this process needlessly hard.
You would be a great dad.

Oh wait-

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
The fact that you can't do it from idle in Smash 4 does seem to make it a bit worse than Brawl then? I'm just wondering how useful they proved to be in Brawl compared to how useful they may end up being in Smash 4.
Nobody did the reverse-fake out in brawl, but the lack of consistency on the full reverse bombslide in this game, and not being able to do them from idle stance, does hold them back a little. (At the same time you won't soft throw with a full reverse bombslide, so sometimes a jump cancelled back throw is preferable. But then, only FSK and Zane really do the full reverse one actively...) On the other hand nobody bombslided as intensely in Brawl as some people do now, so we'll never know.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Last time I checked the MU was like 45:55 Link's favor. I laughed a lot
Ask any Link main and they'll likely agree with you. However, the Ganon mains are hellbent on the idea that the mu is in their favor. Just go check out our Ganon mu thread. We nearly had a war breakout.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Not anymore, they've changed post-patch. The Ganon boards are my favorite next to this, they are so reasonable and on-point most of the time. See the current MU thread. 55-45 in our favor, just like we said. (They're discussing us right now.)

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Ask any Link main and they'll likely agree with you. However, the Ganon mains are hellbent on the idea that the mu is in their favor. Just go check out our Ganon mu thread. We nearly had a war breakout.
I mean...If Ganondorf is 55:45 I can't imagine what other MU can be. It's even lore-coerent!

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Don't let the Ganon mains hear you say that. Someone like @ Lozjam Lozjam might pound you to a pulp for the mear thought of it.
Why, look at this, I have been summoned.
Ganondorf is by far not Link's best matchup.
Link does have the upper hand slightly, but it definitely isn't his best one.
It is that thought of which you prove your arrogance which can plague many Links. If you underestimate my master, you are going to die, over and over again.

45-55 favoring Link is very correct, but it all has to do with momentum. It only takes 1 good hit to throw a Link off and deal a ton of damage. Stage choice is also immensely important.

As far as Link's best matchup: :4miisword:

I cannot wait until Sakurai gives us a buff or two as well.
I mean...If Ganondorf is 55:45 I can't imagine what other MU can be. It's even lore-coerent!
You mean how your puny little TP Link won only with the help of 4 light spirits, one reincarnated god, an ancient godly artifact, and a Twili?
Sure....
Melt in your arrogance will you.

Damn bugs.

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Best: Charizard.

Worst: Rosa****inglina and luma.
Cat, I've told you before, I'm not interested in breeding with you. You're hot and all, but I'm just not interested. Thanks, but no thanks.
Cat denied.

I think fox is somewhat in our favor. We can block his laser, punish his fox allusion with side b. and we can spike his fire fox. But we do have to **** around with his speed.

I think we eat ganondorf with superior mobility and spacing.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Best:
I think fox is somewhat in our favor. We can block his laser, punish his fox allusion with side b. and we can spike his fire fox. But we do have to **** around with his speed.
Yes, all we need to deal with is his mobility, not his superior close quarters combat, not his ability to combo us into next week, not his superior frame data, not his superior projectile, not his jab lock kill set up - no, just his speed.

Top Bottom