• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Mmmmh...I have a feeling NX will be a portable console. After all, there aren't many games in 2016 for the 3ds. You could say there are FE and YW, but they already came out in Japan so they aren't really an example. The rest are minor project like Paper Jam. In early 2017 3ds will be 6 years old so it's a respectable lifetime. The fact that NX won't concurr with PS4 in power- let's face it- would be too strange for a home console. There isn't even that much gap between Wii U and PS4 (not as much as Wii-PS3 for sure.) while it would be normal for a portable console. And...the 3ds came out 2 years before Wii U man. I don't think even Nintendo would be enough stupid to launch a new home console before the portable one. That or they are going great to leave the portable world for mobile.

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
This all seems unlikely. I don't think they'd be dumb enough to release a machine 'on par' with the other current gen consoles this late into the generation, when the others are gearing up for the next.
This late? The current gen consoles were released two years ago. The consoles before those were released in 2005 and 2006 respectively. I think the current generation of consoles has got a bit of time before new ones are coming out. The wii came out as well in 2006 and the wii u in 2012. The wii u does have a bit of time but they could want another console out due to the wii u "success" The wii u was rushed though probabaly to cash in on the wii success. To rush another console just to compete would be a bad move.

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Mmmmh...I have a feeling NX will be a portable console. After all, there aren't many games in 2016 for the 3ds. You could say there are FE and YW, but they already came out in Japan so they aren't really an example. The rest are minor project like Paper Jam. In early 2017 3ds will be 6 years old so it's a respectable lifetime. The fact that NX won't concurr with PS4 in power- let's face it- would be too strange for a home console. There isn't even that much gap between Wii U and PS4 (not as much as Wii-PS3 for sure.) while it would be normal for a portable console. And...the 3ds came out 2 years before Wii U man. I don't think even Nintendo would be enough stupid to launch a new home console before the portable one. That or they are going great to leave the portable world for mobile.
there may be a gimmick so that it can be both Home and portable. That would be cool.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
there may be a gimmick so that it can be both Home and portable. That would be cool.
Yeah they could but...I don't know, it seems an advanced technology and I feel 4 years aren't enough for completing the hardware and making a serious line up (actually far less then 4 years for games since they are supporting the Wii U at least for the restof 2015 wit important titles, so...I don't know)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
What? Are you saying we aren't full of sunshine and rainbows?
Yes. :troll:

The Wii U had so much wasted potential.
instead of getting

we got
What do you have against WW? I recently just got it and I am having a blast! Much better than TP.

Its just called falcon dance on youtube im not sure if its a real one, but he dances to tom jones it's not unusual
Oh, this dance, yeah I've seen this dance before. It's pretty fun XD

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Wind Waker is so much better than TP. The only people who hate Wind Waker are kids who are subconscious of their age and who to act "mature". Especially since WWHD fixes nearly all the problems of the original(if only they added a cut dungeon or two).

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm not criticizing the game play or design but I can't stand the art style of WW. Toon Link is low quality anime squared and the lighting/shading or lack of makes it look like a South Park episode.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Wind Waker is so much better than TP. The only people who hate Wind Waker are kids who are subconscious of their age and who to act "mature". Especially since WWHD fixes nearly all the problems of the original(if only they added a cut dungeon or two).
Wind Waker steadily grew on me over the years, though I do have a slight preference for Twilight Princess over it a bit, but that may be because I played the Gamecube version of TP. However, there's nothing quite as satisfying as setting sail across the whole ocean to that music - it's truly magical.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well, even though I didn't play the original, I can say that the sail is sometime very annoying and tedious.

I really hope that Nintendo won't release the NX next year . . . otherwise I'm going to be so pissed, knowing I spent $300 on my Smash Bros Machine.
If they release the NX next year, I think I will have a rage quit. I just brought my Wii U!!!

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I don't hate WW. I really like it,but I prefer TP which is my second favourite LoZ game next to SS for various reasons. First of all, the story and the characters were better for me. The Twili have always fascinated me for example, and all the ancient power stuff that want the Triforce was great (that cutscene after you completed the last Twilight Area man). Ganondorf was a complete badass and Zant/Midna were great. Second of all, I liked the wolf lol. So this is a personal thing. Finally that was my first Zelda game. The reasons of why I prefer SS are too long to explain now.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Not to mention it had arguably the best Ganondorf in the series.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
You know, I feel like I may receive a lot of hell for this, but I legitimately love Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. It's unique, it's a huge world, it has fairly tight controls, and it does a ton with magic. I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say they really really like it.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
You know, I feel like I may receive a lot of hell for this, but I legitimately love Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. It's unique, it's a huge world, it has fairly tight controls, and it does a ton with magic. I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say they really really like it.
It's actually one of my favorites. Never has a game balanced crippling frustration and obsessive will to overcome as well as that one. Still play it from time to time (emulated, of course; our NES copy stopped working when I was young).

Edit: If you're a fan of lets plays, you should check out Game Grumps' playthrough of this (if you haven't already). Danny Sexbang does an excellent job and only has to consult a map a few times.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I think it's a pretty alright game, with a pretty fair difficulty curve compared to other NES games at the time. Combat is also pretty reaction/prediction heavy done well, which is something you can't really say about many other Zelda games.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
TP has my favorite ganondorf theme though:

So much this. I think TP in general has my favorite soundtrack, even the neo-baroque theme used for the first main teaser/preview for the game. So much went right with that game's music. I thought about performing an analysis/arrangement for my final in Music Theory Seminar in college, but I ended up going with Handel's Sarabande as it is old and therefore free (and harmonically much more accessible to the rest of the class, who admittedly seemed to be coasting through).

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
In all silliness, Zelda II is pretty much a Souls game for the NES imo. It's one of my fav Zeldas too.

Not to mention it had arguably the best Ganondorf in the series.
WW gave Ganondorf a true motive, not like the usual "I am evil; therefore antagonist".

That aside, I never was a big fan of the art direction, but hey, it was something fresh on that time, TP though, had everything I have ever wanted for a Zelda game to look like, and I am satisfied with those aesthetics still to date. Worth to mention too, it has the battle I have ever wanted since I saw that tech demo on the Game Cube, a one-on-one sword battle against Ganondorf. Also has the hottest Princess Zelda ever conceived P:

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
So much this. I think TP in general has my favorite soundtrack, even the neo-baroque theme used for the first main teaser/preview for the game. So much went right with that game's music. I thought about performing an analysis/arrangement for my final in Music Theory Seminar in college, but I ended up going with Handel's Sarabande as it is old and therefore free (and harmonically much more accessible to the rest of the class, who admittedly seemed to be coasting through).
Are you trying to insinuate that people coast through music classes? No way! (That's why I hated taking them)

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
It's actually one of my favorites. Never has a game balanced crippling frustration and obsessive will to overcome as well as that one. Still play it from time to time (emulated, of course; our NES copy stopped working when I was young).

Edit: If you're a fan of lets plays, you should check out Game Grumps' playthrough of this (if you haven't already). Danny Sexbang does an excellent job and only has to consult a map a few times.
Oh believe me, I love me some Game Grumps. You better believe I'm naming my next pet Spoofy.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Are you trying to insinuate that people coast through music classes? No way! (That's why I hated taking them)
No, I'm saying it pretty plainly. I was the only Music Theory/Comp student while everyone else were either education majors, performance, or worship arts, which probably played a large part in it. They probably wouldn't use a lot of what we covered, while I use it every day.

I didn't hate the coasters so much, it was more the bleeding heart "artists" that filled Theory I and Music Intro, but seemed to magically disappear by Theory III and Western Music History. Tell people to analyze a piece and write a short paper and they drop their prestigious music minor quicker than their Sight-SInging grade on melodic dictation day.

EDIT:
Oh believe me, I love me some Game Grumps. You better believe I'm naming my next pet Spoofy.
I should have known!

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Nah, I reckon either SS or ST has the greatest sound track. I mean, just listen to this master piece

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Tell people to analyze a piece and write a short paper and they drop their prestigious music minor quicker than their Sight-SInging grade on melodic dictation day.
Ha totally. My favorite class I've ever taken was ethnomusicology. Everyone there wanted to be there and cared for it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
TP has my favorite versions of the main characters and great new secondary characters. Zelda II made me rage but nothing feels better than finally beating it.

Well I beat Shovel Knight again, 5 hours, 17 minutes and 48 deaths. It was a semi-blind run since I last played it a long time ago. The only 2 criticisms I have are:
The bottom of the screen death zone should be lower so Shovel Knight has to fall all the way off screen to die, rather than simply touching the bottom with his foot. There's no need for an items menu and a pause menu; they should be one to lessen confusion.
Aside from those the game was hard but fair. It's definitely a die-and-retry sort of game that likes to troll the player but in a good way. You die from your own mistakes and not wonky controls/hitboxes.
Good music, fun design, original enough premise and it kept the old school NES feel. SK is a must for retro mega man-esk platforming fans. 9.5/10.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
WW gave Ganondorf a true motive, not like the usual "I am evil; therefore antagonist".

That aside, I never was a big fan of the art direction, but hey, it was something fresh on that time, TP though, had everything I have ever wanted for a Zelda game to look like, and I am satisfied with those aesthetics still to date. Worth to mention too, it has the battle I have ever wanted since I saw that tech demo on the Game Cube, a one-on-one sword battle against Ganondorf. Also has the hottest Princess Zelda ever conceived P:
I think the Ganon battles in both TP and WW were among the most memorable. Same with Demise and Ganon in aLttP.
It really felt like the culmination of everything you had been working came to a crest at those final moments.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Nah, I reckon either SS or ST has the greatest sound track. I mean, just listen to this master piece
Eh, it's not bad. The Ballad of the Goddess is mostly just Zelda's lullaby in retrograde. Impressive that they got it to work, but I hear a lot of melody-driven classicism in a romantic orchestra setting, while TP (at least for me) seemed to employ late romantic to 20th century techniques to a better effect. I haven't finished SS (though I enjoy it thoroughly) while I have played through TP multiple times, so I guess it's not really fair of me to make a judgment at this point. However, I am considering doing analyses/comparisons of video game soundtracks from theoretical standpoints on my composition/music services website (once I get it finished), so perhaps I'll have to finish the game and will offer a full analysis/review at a later date. I guess we'll see.

Ha totally. My favorite class I've ever taken was ethnomusicology. Everyone there wanted to be there and cared for it.
I wish I could say the same for my experience with that class. Most people seemed superficially interested but never really interacted in class. I was left answering most of the questions, as usual. Do I sound bitter? Haha.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I wish I could say the same for my experience with that class. Most people seemed superficially interested but never really interacted in class. I was left answering most of the questions, as usual. Do I sound bitter? Haha.
Nah I'm in the same boat. It was 7:30 am and only 5 other people took it

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Eh, it's not bad. The Ballad of the Goddess is mostly just Zelda's lullaby in retrograde. Impressive that they got it to work, but I hear a lot of melody-driven classicism in a romantic orchestra setting, while TP (at least for me) seemed to employ late romantic to 20th century techniques to a better effect. I haven't finished SS (though I enjoy it thoroughly) while I have played through TP multiple times, so I guess it's not really fair of me to make a judgment at this point. However, I am considering doing analyses/comparisons of video game soundtracks from theoretical standpoints on my composition/music services website (once I get it finished), so perhaps I'll have to finish the game and will offer a full analysis/review at a later date. I guess we'll see.
Hm, I guess it's just matter of opinion. I still love it, even if it's Zelda's Lullaby backwards (though that could be a coincidence). Anyway, dude, you should really consider finishing SS. The end scene is one of the most saddest scenes I have every seen. I literally cried a river.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Nah I'm in the same boat. It was 7:30 am and only 5 other people took it
At least they had an excuse; mine was at 3:30 pm and there were at least a dozen of us. Oh well.

Hm, I guess it's just matter of opinion. I still love it, even if it's Zelda's Lullaby backwards (though that could be a coincidence). Anyway, dude, you should really consider finishing SS. The end scene is one of the most saddest scenes I have every seen. I literally cried a river.
Fair enough; if I can find a copy for not too much, I'll pick it up and finish it. Usually retrograde themes are not coincidental; I mean, it's possible but the chances of something like this are astronomical. Not that that fact takes away from the piece at all, though, that wasn't my intention in mentioning that. It definitely adds a level of depth to the music itself, but I think in the interest of making that at least subconsciously apparent the composer(s) had to simplify the form and coloration of the music in other elements. I've often struggled with the same dilemma myself when composing.

But maybe once I finish the game I'll end up liking the soundtrack more than TP's. Ya never know.

Last edited:

SoSoGreed

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5386-9186-4602
Can someone link me to Link's frame data. I'm just looking to see what would be a good secondary for him and myself to counterbalance him.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Hollywood is running out of originality.

All the good movies are either remaks, sequels, prequels or super hero movies.

No one cares, the only important detail is that one is Link, so we play that one. Elsewise, piss off.
WTF?

At least they had an excuse; mine was at 3:30 pm and there were at least a dozen of us. Oh well.

Fair enough; if I can find a copy for not too much, I'll pick it up and finish it. Usually retrograde themes are not coincidental; I mean, it's possible but the chances of something like this are astronomical. Not that that fact takes away from the piece at all, though, that wasn't my intention in mentioning that. It definitely adds a level of depth to the music itself, but I think in the interest of making that at least subconsciously apparent the composer(s) had to simplify the form and coloration of the music in other elements. I've often struggled with the same dilemma myself when composing.

But maybe once I finish the game I'll end up liking the soundtrack more than TP's. Ya never know.
The TP soundtrack was a bit dull. Hyrule field and Midnas lament were music to my ears, but the dungeon tracks to did not sound all that great. IMO.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
So I just finished playing some more doubles. At first, my partners kept leaving. Then, the opposing team managed to find someone who placed in the top 32 of EVO to play with us; Christian Rendon, a Wii Fit trainer main.
Needless to say, it was a great experience. I'll upload some matches soon.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
The best music in SS is definitely this:

While I like it, I was never a fan of Simphony of the goddess. I prefer the one above, Fi's theme, and all the dungeon music were great (especially the fifth (don't know how it's called in English, but it's the pirate ship). Generally the desert area has the best music. TP had the absolute best over world theme though, and it had a lot of great music (the one during the battle vs Zant is ****ing AMAZING).

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
SS had incredible music but I still found TP's to be better. Plus you really can't beat that Hyrule Field theme.

If they end up deciding to make another Zelda honestly I say skip the Wii U at this point and go for the NX... Assuming it will don the power of the other Big 2 consoles. A fully equipped Zelda with graphics capable of mimicking the likes of PS4's best, as well as support the necessary power to create a live and insipired Zelda world will completely sell the console. It'll be revolutionary for Nintendo. As is, who wouldn't want to own a console where they can play the best games available on PS4 and XBone on top of Nintendo's best games? Nintendo is capable of having every great IP at their disposal. Nintendo would destroy if they just stopped trying to be so goddamn different.

Anyway, I got way off point... I'm done with this lollipop and gumball s*** they're doing with the artwork. It was good for WW but TP was definitely going in the right direction in my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom