• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I have if off, have always have it off, and will always have it off. I see no benefit in it on and only downfalls, like harder tilts/smashes and accidental jumps.

Besides, it has to be off to pull many shenanigans, such as bombsliding (not that I bombslide anyways, JC throw ftw).

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
You seem to forget that Fi is a cold, emotionless weapon Dangit, Elessar beat me to it...should've kept reading before I posted.

Also, after Shin's post I'm curious. Who all has tap jump turn off? I've been trying to leave it on recently so I have those OoS options but I'm starting to wonder if its worth it. I can never seem to pull off an Uair without accidentally using my second jump.
You can upB and Upsmash OoS without tapjump by jumpcancelling.

Slide your thumb very quickly from the Y button down to the A button while holding up for a usmash, to the B (or for me, Y) button for upB.

Edit: You, Link and Ike lover, you stop that **** right now. We don't need you bringing Chronic Bleeding Hemorrhoids™ around, and replying to a post from October is basically necrophilia. Which I suppose I should disapprove of on some level. I guess.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I beat you with my Link in a (Link ditto). .-. Not to fight but Your after me.

Edit: http://youtu.be/eOrzzboiWY4
3:52 is sooooooooooooo cool doe!
Playing with fire kid. You'll summon the Hemorrhoids pest again and force us to burn the thread into the ground to cleanse from it. Unless that is want you're after. Is it?

Which I suppose I should disapprove of on some level. I guess.
Only when it doesn't involve hot steamy action. I thought that was your rule.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Playing with fire kid. You'll summon the Hemorrhoids pest again and force us to burn the thread into the ground to cleanse from it. Unless that is want you're after. Is it?

Nah lol.
I deleted it

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice

I prefer to think of the pest as a single case of Chronic Bleeding Hemorrhoids. The term did come from a google search of 'literally worse than cancer', after all, I think it could see broader use with this definition than being wasted on a problem we may never have again.

And the rule is cold, rigid action, Ele.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I think it could see broader use with this definition than being wasted on a problem we may never have again.
Maybe not that decision one, but we're are bound to have more cases of CoH. Heck, not even a week ago we had another case that claimed Catana.

And the rule is cold, rigid action, Ele.
Ah, of course, how silly of me. It's just that I thought you liked them freshly made. Like a nice slice of steak fresh from the grill, still aquitaine juice each time you stab it with you utensil.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So I just came back from a very long meet. We've been playing an American version of smash 4 for the past few days or so because as if we were going to wait till the Australian release. There is so much I would like to say about the game, but there is one interesting observation in particular that I'd like to share.

Basically, there are characters that got huge buffs in smash 4, not because of any change in their move-set, or speed of attacks, or recovery etc necessarily, but simply because they work better as a character in the smash 4 game. Link and Toon fall into this category. For now though, take Fox for example. Oh sure he got a buff to his recovery by being able to act out of side-b (eventually), but on the whole, looking at just the character Fox in Brawl and in smash 4 and disregarding anything else for now, he actually got very nerffed in general (Dair, Fair, U-smash, U-tilt, Laser and Shine), and yet, Fox as a character in smash 4 is considered one of the best characters. The reasons for this have nothing to do with the differences made to the character; it's because of the fact that smash 4 is a different game and it just so happens to work in his favour. There are the obvious things like the fact that there is more hitstun which means that all the strings of attacks that felt like they should have worked in brawl now actually combo, and then there's the fact that Fox no longer has to worry about ******** matchups with stuff like the pikachu chaingrabs.
As for the Links, I found that one huge difference that has generally been overlooked is the fact that airdodges have been nerffed in smash 4, which means that their spam game in general is insane now. Being able to have multiple projectiles out at the same time while the opponent isn't able to just airdodge through it or airdodge to avoid getting hit again once they get hit by the first projectile makes frame traps, kill setups and camping so much easier. And this is without mentioning the more obvious benefits of smash 4 like the hitstun and the ledge mechanics.
Other examples of characters that greatly benefit from simply being in smash 4 include Ness because of the ledge mechanics and the rage mechanic, but the point is, you need to look further than whether or not any particular character is better than a previous version of that character because in many cases the all important factors will come from the differences in the game in which those characters find themselves.

I'm not sure how well that was all worded, but there it is.
Um quick question, how was toon link buff?! Seriously, have you seen his Up B and new Bair?

She'll understand. She's a cold emotionless robot void of any compassion or sympathy. She only exists to help her master
You seem to forget that Fi is a cold, emotionless weapon
:(. I don't find Fi emotionless and cold.…

That Smiley...you just gave my dog epilepsy, hope you're happy kid.
:c. I'm sorry…

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Um quick question, how was toon link buff?! Seriously, have you seen his Up B and new Bair?
I thought I was the only one that felt as if Toon Link was nerfed.

His Dair doesn't bounce anymore.
His Bair, Nair, and Fair has more endlag.
His Zair has some slight landing lag (this applies to all characters that utilize Zair)
His recovery was nerfed (Up B doesn't go as high nor as far as it did in brawl)
Cannot Quick Draw (Arrow Cancel) anymore.

I kinda don't see any good buffs so far when it comes to Toon Link. Maybe it's because I haven't played the character enough but he definitely feels nerfed.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer

His Zair has some slight landing lag (this applies to all characters that utilize Zair)

I kinda don't see any good buffs so far when it comes to Toon Link. Maybe it's because I haven't played the character enough but he definitely feels nerfed.
This is not the place to discuss such things. [Also, this being the Link boards, your posts technically don't even make sense.] Suffice it to say, read my post. What I was (clearly) explaining was that there is a difference between being buffed and nerfed as a character compared to previous versions of that character and being buffed and nerfed due to simply appearing in a different game. I gave the example of Fox being a nerfed character who is actually better simply because he's in smash 4. Let's see if you can make the connection yourself.

A lot of characters got severly nerfed compared to their previous version, e.g Falco, and because of this a lot of people dropped them. What they didn't realise, and what a lot of people do not realise even when it is explained, is that character buffs and nerfs (compared to previous versions of that character) can have very little to do with whether or not a particular character performs well or not in a game. Some people are now realising that Falco is still actually really legit. (Comboing out of side-b for the kill? The f***? And that's purely because of there being more hitstun in smash 4, not because of a buff to side-b.) I could give more examples, but the point is there to be seen.

Link is actually a special case. He got buffed as a character compared to previous versions of said character and he performs better as a character in this new game.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I heard that if they carried Brawl Link over to Smash4 w/o any changes, he would've still been good, mainly due to the amount of ATs he had. I would disagree with this because the cons he had in Brawl (terrible recovery, laggy attacks overall, easily punishable) that got him wrecked (not just by Meta Knight) would've carried over and overshadow his pros. Regardless of Smash4 mechanics, the trouble MUs would still give him trouble.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Foxy knows where it's at.

Ever notice how many warning sings can be summarized by 'don't be an idiot'? "Danger high voltage, don't touch or pee on this", "Danger thin ice, don't walk or Mexican hat dance here", and so on.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I love this thing at the bottom of this page: the "Users Viewing Thread" part. You can see whether or not Blu is still lurking. :p

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
This is not the place to discuss such things. [Also, this being the Link boards, your posts technically don't even make sense.] Suffice it to say, read my post. What I was (clearly) explaining was that there is a difference between being buffed and nerfed as a character compared to previous versions of that character and being buffed and nerfed due to simply appearing in a different game. I gave the example of Fox being a nerfed character who is actually better simply because he's in smash 4. Let's see if you can make the connection yourself.

A lot of characters got severly nerfed compared to their previous version, e.g Falco, and because of this a lot of people dropped them. What they didn't realise, and what a lot of people do not realise even when it is explained, is that character buffs and nerfs (compared to previous versions of that character) can have very little to do with whether or not a particular character performs well or not in a game. Some people are now realising that Falco is still actually really legit. (Comboing out of side-b for the kill? The f***? And that's purely because of there being more hitstun in smash 4, not because of a buff to side-b.) I could give more examples, but the point is there to be seen.

Link is actually a special case. He got buffed as a character compared to previous versions of said character and he performs better as a character in this new game.
Sorry Fox, I didn't mean anything, it's just you mention Toon in you post and thought you were crazy. Again sorry.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

Why in Farore's name are we discussing Gay issues in here? He's worse, he has always been worse because he's an abomination aborted by Sakurai's degenerate mind.

Sorry Fox, I didn't mean anything, it's just you mention Toon in you post and thought you were crazy. Again sorry.
Kid, I'll tell you the same thing I've been telling everyone with your same quandary. This is not brawl, why are you trying to play it like brawl? You wouldn't play melee like you'd play brawl and vice versa. The why try to play a whole new game like an older completely different game? Forget about Brawl and Brawl' meta. Focus on learning this meta and focus on learning your char from scratch, as if it were completely different chat, because guess what, IT IS.

Also, my dog forgives you.

Last edited:

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
When I first picked up Sm4sh for the 3DS, I'm not gonna lie, I tried playing it like Brawl. Or in my case, Brawl+. The issues of getting over muscle memories was the hardest part even though it didn't last long.

Getting it on the Wii U took some time as well since the first things that came to mind when holding the GCC was to spam old combos. Yeah, those don't work anymore.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Throwback Sunday! Or whatever. :p Super relevant right now.
That's understandable. however, i always find myself cringing whenever someone spams boomerangs more than bombs/arrows or when there aren't any new ATs utilized. Link has tons of more options than he did in brawl, so he shouldn't feel as restrictive. Let your minds be open to the new link. You can't play melee like smash64, you can't play brawl like melee, so you shouldn't play sm4sh like brawl.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I always tend to forget that I have bombs, and then I'll remember all of the sudden and start a bomb fest. :laugh:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Made an account on le old/new Nintendodojo (AiB) yesterday. Pretty cool and chillax place. Posted in the meet/greet and Link forums. Just 3 hours left before i can finally get on that ladder (why did they put in that stupid 24 timer anyways?).

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Kinda like this current avatar. A lot. I would edit the current pic and "personalize" the living hell out of it, but my device sucks for editing.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
My avatar rules.
Low res pic says otherwise.
<- 'Nuff said.
I'm somewhat amazed by how beautiful it looks. From my angle, it looks like the mouth of the universe (or something): uvula, tongue, and roofs, from the looks of it.

My avatar pretty much represents me: defiant and highly competent. Couldn't have had an awesome sig w/o it.

thDarkwind

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkwind227
Dunno if this has been talked about since im pretty green, but im likin' the attack animations that link has for all his a moves in the new game. really ads a nice touch to the hits.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
GAH! @ FSK FSK not now! I don't want any nightmares tonight. Kinda looks like your Diddy icons. Which makes it worse.
Btw, love @Darches ' avatar. Really awesome and mesmerizing to look at.

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Dunno if this has been talked about since im pretty green, but im likin' the attack animations that link has for all his a moves in the new game. really ads a nice touch to the hits.
I certainly agree, though I haven't gotten a chance to really hit the training mode and digest all the moves.

Edit: And by "haven't gotten a chance to" I mean I don't have the game yet and have only played it once...

Last edited:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I don't know how I feel about playing Link in the new one. He's a good character but I'm starting to feel like his playstyle isn't for me.

Edit: But I still need to keep experimenting with Link to see if I can find something that I like.

I'm starting to really like close combat characters, at the moment I'm liking Diddy, Mario, Ganon, Zero Suit Samus, Fox, Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
I don't know how I feel about playing Link in the new one. He's a good character but I'm starting to feel like his playstyle isn't for me.

I'm starting to really like close combat characters, at the moment I'm liking Diddy, Mario, Ganon, Zero Suit Samus, Fox, Captain Falcon.
Very good, very good indeed.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
My avatar is the best, you all can suck it. I'm never changing her.

I'm actually enjoying Link a lot this time around since he can go quite aggro and melee. We don't have to camp anymore. That's what most people are missing I think. Spam, yes, camp, no. Though I have to admit that I love super aggressive melee chars, hence why all my lats are super aggro (Fox, Sheik, Lucina, ZSS) and I actually enjoy Fox a whole damn lot. Link's spammy campy style in Brawl was really forced for me, but I made myself play it and become good with it. I mean, it's freaking Link!

Top Bottom