• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
No. I was going more theoretical. Do I want my genitals removed? Not a chance. However, I find the idea of the metaphorical form of emasculation pretty daft. It is based around sexist ideas of what makes a man a man.

Really, the entire idea of emasculation is based around sexist ideas of what makes a man a man. I wouldn't feel less a man for having no **** or balls or because I wore heels, a mini skirt and make up.

This does not mean I want core aspects of my identity messed with. It simply means my identity is not bound to archaic ideas of masculinity and femininity.

But if DF wants to spend his time thinking about my genitals or lack thereof (or me in a skirt), well, whatever floats his boat.
I'll disagree with you. Masculinity is a very concrete thing across all peoples in the world, representing the same thing wherever it is. I think you've confused being a "good man" with "being good at being a man". Even evil men can be manly because masculinity is not resigned to changing for a culture. However being a good man, which is most likely your idea of being a man, is malleable depending on culture and people.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
No. I was going more theoretical. Do I want my genitals removed? Not a chance. However, I find the idea of the metaphorical form of emasculation pretty daft. It is based around sexist ideas of what makes a man a man.

Really, the entire idea of emasculation is based around sexist ideas of what makes a man a man. I wouldn't feel less a man for having no **** or balls or because I wore heels, a mini skirt and make up.

This does not mean I want core aspects of my identity messed with. It simply means my identity is not bound to archaic ideas of masculinity and femininity.

But if DF wants to spend his time thinking about my genitals or lack thereof (or me in a skirt), well, whatever floats his boat.
You misunderstand because you're thinking in simplistic, "feminist" (as in the movement that deems that everything stems from Misogyny), closed way. If you're a man and like to wear skirts or please your spouse or whatever else you choose to do, then you are still intact. Your masculinity is still intact because you have chosen to do so. It's like my wife making me a sandwich. She chooses to do it to please me and treat me well after a long day at work. She is not subjugated in doing so, nor is she chauvinistic nor dominated; she is, in fact, empowered for doing what she chooses to. The problem with the term "Emasculation" is that it conjures the image of the forceful, unwilling removal of a trait core to your self-identity as a man by another person. This is mutilation, whether it be theoretical, figurative, or literal.

By making this post you have revealed that you also have fallen prey to the epidemic sweeping America of men thinking that being a man or even admitting the differences between genders (which are biological differences) is somehow evil. The problem is loss of identity and loss of will, both things which are encompassed by the word "emasculated".

Last edited:

Koby_T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kobyteith
Anyone free for some friendlies sometime next week? I'm going to the biggest tournament I've ever been to in 2 weeks and I feel like I'm right in the middle of a slump. I'd love a chance to play some of you guys for a fresh perspective.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Yo...what if you could control Smash with nothing but your mind? That would remove the need for...well, a lot of things. You could perform any action whenever you wanted, and you don't have to worry about messing up because of input errors. Imagine if we could perform every AT frame perfectly. Link would be god tier lol.

Edit: Speaking of performing ATs perfectly, if this were the case, then theoretically, how much better would Link be? That's an interesting question right there.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yo...what if you could control Smash with nothing but your mind? That would remove the need for...well, a lot of things. You could perform any action whenever you wanted, and you don't have to worry about messing up because of input errors. Imagine if we could perform every AT frame perfectly. Link would be god tier lol.

Edit: Speaking of perform ATs perfectly, if this were the case, then theoretically, how much better would Link be? That's an interesting question right there.
You're stoned, right? I could say please say no, but I wouldn't mean it. I actually hope to God you're sober and still saying this.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431

Edit: Speaking of performing ATs perfectly, if this were the case, then theoretically, how much better would Link be? That's an interesting question right there.
What you're talking about is called real life. Perhaps you need to step away from the computer for a while?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Now that you mention it, the way I worded that post is a bit...questionable. Though admittedly I actually am suffering a bit of a crash that happens after the affects of my medication wears off. It's called Vivance in case you're suspicious.

Edit: Back to the main topic that I was trying to establish. Theoretically, how much better would Link be if we could perform any AT perfectly and consistently?

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Now that you mention it, the way I worded that post is a bit...questionable. Though admittedly I actually am suffering a bit of a crash that happens after the affects of my medication wears off. It's called Vivance in case you're suspicious.

Edit: Back to the main topic that I was trying to establish. Theoretically, how much better would Link be if we could perform any AT perfectly and consistently?
lol it made me laugh "Braaah, that's like the best idea ever maaaan.. duude you just totally blew my mind!11!!" What do you take medication for?

Not much. There is exactly one AT with any use that is difficult to pull off and that's the full reverse bombslide. But the distance you travel isn't that much greater than with a JCT reverse throw, and if you jump cancel it becomes a soft throw. We would gain a better retreating tool, but it is far from as useful as in Brawl. I wouldn't know what else theoretical flawless tech skill is needed for.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
lol it made me laugh "Braaah, that's like the best idea ever maaaan.. duude you just totally blew my mind!11!!" What do you take medication for?

Not much. There is exactly one AT with any use that is difficult to pull off and that's the full reverse bombslide. But the distance you travel isn't that much greater than with a JCT reverse throw, and if you jump cancel it becomes a soft throw. We would gain a better retreating tool, but it is far from as useful as in Brawl. I wouldn't know what else theoretical flawless tech skill is needed for.
Nair locking for one. If we were all perfect at landing those, that would do worlds of good for Link. Same can be said about Phoenix bombing with IZACs and edge canceling.

Edit: I take medication for my ADD.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Let me answer that question with another question: How many of Link's ATs does shielding beat? :urg:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Let me answer that question with another question: How many of Link's ATs does shielding beat? :urg:
Well you can say that about a lot of things. Though meteor move canceling and meteor clashes can easily lead to situations where Link can break shields. Better add those to the list as well.

Edit: It would also make my day if you could temporarily change the title of the thread to "DarkDeity15 is high on meds" or something, though that may be asking for too much lol.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So, I got a new Elgato today, courtesy of a wonderful sponsor, and I'll be test streaming today. Nestor, the other current best player next to @Oblivion129 is coming to beat the ever loving crap out of me so, if you're interested, hop in. i should begin streaming in about 20 mins or so.

This is my channel. I won't be using the tourney channel for obvious reasons.

http://www.twitch.tv/veritiel

As always, all are welcome as are any critiques, comments, words or love and appreciation or vitriol.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So, I got a new Elgato today, courtesy of a wonderful sponsor, and I'll be test streaming today. Nestor, the other current best player next to @Oblivion129 is coming to beat the ever loving crap out of me so, if you're interested, hop in. i should begin streaming in about 20 mins or so.

This is my channel. I won't be using the tourney channel for obvious reasons.

http://www.twitch.tv/veritiel

As always, all are welcome as are any critiques, comments, words or love and appreciation or vitriol.
Still waiting for that stream man. I'm Dark_deity_15 in the comments.
I thought you did not like gifs or marvel movies.
It's a meme thing dude. It doesn't matter what it is.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So I got someone on Twich to add my NNID. He was a Captain Falcon main who said Link wasn't tournament viable and that no one wins tournaments with him. The chat was moving super fast so I just told him that Link could still win. The commentators still saw our discussion though and even started to talk about it themselves, saying that there are lots of underrated characters in Sm4sh and whatnot. Anyways, the guy who added me said something about playing/wanting to play Shofu, so hopefully he's pretty good. Now all I have to do is get to playing online again somehow, and I plan on adding a lot more good players at the tournament this Saturday(...hopefully they have wifi).

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Link's, question

Would you mind seeing Linkie in a Zelda game in the future, whether she's playable or a NPC?

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So, I managed to stream a bit but sadly had myriad of technical issues. Thank for those who were there and I'll be uploading all the matches which got recorded to YouTube. I'll post them as soon as that is done.

Thanks and I'll have another session as soon as I feel I fixed the problems.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
So, I managed to stream a bit but sadly had myriad of technical issues. Thank for those who were there and I'll be uploading all the matches which got recorded to YouTube. I'll post them as soon as that is done.

Thanks and I'll have another session as soon as I feel I fixed the problems.
Hopefully you get it sorted, looking forward to the next stream :D

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Ok, the videos are up here. As always, any comment more than welcome. I'll try to get the technical bumps sorted asap so I can stream again.

As a bonus, this is a match between Nestor and AnFuAr. I did't upload it because it's Gay vs Sonic, but if anyone cares, here it is.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So it looks like my trip to the tournament might get canceled. My friend isn't feeling well (he has heart issues). Talk about getting your hopes up... Oh well. Whatever happens, happens.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I promised @Catana a poem for going more Link than MK last tourney and beating our other MK main with Link, so here's the first part . Now with reading, because text isn't modern:

I.

Down in an active bustling scene
A modest player grew:
His knight was fine, his Link was lean
But one once hid from view.

And yet he was so skilled and mighty
A swordsman free and fair –
He seduced even Aphrodite:
And stole our hearts right there.

Why, we cried, did his proud bloom
Stop short right when it came?
A steam of rich, distilled perfume
Was all left of his game.

Qouth: “let him only MK go
And let us yearn to see:
That he might too learn to grow
Without humility.”

II.

I once sat on my worn out chair –
It was the seventh day of May –
And I was sadly mourning there
That life pursued its gloomy way.

For then one man had ditched his main
And had then stringed us all along
My heart was struck still by the pain
And deaf to all Hyrulian song.

There, while his mad MK rolls,
And we heard sighs within the crowd
That time-outs were to be his goals
No longer could we show us proud.

The poor mod modding at whose breast
Some posters thought to find relief
Was too those days robbed of his zest
And we could not but sigh in grief.

III.

“Simple is life to he who has no skill!
He thinks all easy: all he needs is will.
Ev’ry time I lose to Sheik I fear the sight
‘Twas not my failure, but Sheiks unfair might.”

“I recall once, when ev’ry move I read
Some captain f. still took the lead and fled
Then some MK or other does arrive
And he seemed on my pain to thrive.”

“For yes, he outplaced me! – unfairly so
I am NL’s MK, I trust we know. “
And so our Cat his tired soul laid bare
He had to beat him, he had to dare.

Only a week later the dice was cast
He could get deserved revenge at last.
With a heart elate and pride at ease
He opted us and everyone to please.

Incidentally, I dug through my personal archives and found this recently. Old Link mains will be glad to see I troll in real life too lol I caused quite a riot with those uptight larval rotarians.

Top Bottom