• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link: Full Guide & Discussion Topic

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
yeah, what I like the most and use the most is the bomb + FF uair + utilt + something else...

malva00

Smash Master
yes 3mmanu3lrc that's already covered under the first section

2. Throw bomb from above and fast fall uair/fair/dair (bomb does most damage when thrown from above)

in case no one has figured it out yet, let's try to come up with something that's not on the list

there used to be a legendary bomb technique with Link after a shield break. Captain Jack told me about it in 2005 but he said he forgot lol. It was Japanese so I'm guessing we would have a higher chance of DIing out (different Link too)

firo

Smash Ace
You can sometimes do the super secret throw-bomb-diagonal-down-from-edge-of-platform technique, but I'm not sure why you would or what damage it does

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
You can sometimes do the super secret throw-bomb-diagonal-down-from-edge-of-platform technique, but I'm not sure why you would or what damage it does
But after a shield break... what are the odds of a platform being above for that move to be performed?

The Star King

Smash Hero
If you stand on the very edge of a platform and throw a bomb down, it goes diagonally.

A shield-break in the tent is plausible.
You can't do it above the tent, it hits the wall and explodes. You can only do it on passable platforms.

mercenaries

Smash Cadet
wow I never knew that diagonal bomb thing either, O_O it's really cool

when you stand on the top platform on zebes, and go to the left edge, if you fast throw the bomb down it hits the left platform, but if you soft throw it, it goes through, weird

malva00

Smash Master
wow I never knew that diagonal bomb thing either, O_O it's really cool

when you stand on the top platform on zebes, and go to the left edge, if you fast throw the bomb down it hits the left platform, but if you soft throw it, it goes through, weird
goes through both times if you stand on the edge

fast throw hits if you're close to the edge but not on the edge

mercenaries

Smash Cadet
i see, i rolled to the left edge instead of walking to it. It seems rolling to the edge doesn't make you go all the way to the edge.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Dreamland has three platforms so there's a chance.

A shield-break in the tent is plausible.
DreamLand is too good for combos, but a bomb throw in one of the platforms may hit you as well if not from the top one to the main platform. Have to test it anyway though.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Yes it does, but you'll be facing the wrong direction
He meant rolling to the edge and then pivoting doesn't bring you as far as walking to the edge or taunt canceling your dash (both of which lead to the teetering animation). Yet in both instances, diagonal item throws are allowed, leading to the peculiar situation in Zebes due to the slight differences in position.

Edit: After looking at the Zebes experiment in close-up mode, it looks like rolling then pivoting is actually farther than the teetering position. My mistake (and it makes sense in explaining the bomb striking the platform). Regardless, it's amusing that there are two types of being at the edge, and that you teeter when you are on the edge, but when you have gone past it, you are stable XD. And here I thought teetering was the very edge...

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Here's a question:
All characters stay the way they are in NTSC, except Link.
Give Link his Japanese moveset, with his airspeed from the European version.
How far does he move up the tier list?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I would put him below Yoshi. He loses the utility of his bombs for techchasing, but in return gains an uber U-Tilt and minor buffs to his aerials, as well as that recovery and second jump boost (there are so many times my Up-B has missed by like 3 pixels, a higher jump would be great).

He's still incredibly edgeguardable and hasn't gotten much faster (I think B-Air and D-Air are 1 frame faster, or something).

B Link

Smash Lord
so I did a shieldbreak on Luigi the other day and I just decided to do the double bomb combo -> aerial.

I also did a double bomb -> dtilt -> aerial on fox

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new here. But I'm a Link main.

Here are my theories as to how awesome the bomb is.

The bomb is unique in several very useful ways. The most important characteristic of the bomb is the low startup time of the throw animation. It allows for an extremely fast, long-ranged OOS approach as well as the opportunity for two very rapid consecutive projectile attacks.

Next time you want to mix up your approach on the ground, try something like this: tilt a boomerang towards your opponent (whether it hits or not is irrelevant; each has different strategic application) and then pull a bomb. If the boomerang was aimed appropriately then the down-b is virtually unpunishable. Throw up your shield and Link suddenly becomes an unstoppable behemoth. The ability to toss a bomb OOS renders virtually any approach irrelevant because it can prevent grabs and hamper dashdancing, and the returning boomerang will give you a reprieve from even the best shield pressure.

I mean, let's say Doug short hops over your boomerang and tries to dash grab you. If you're paying any attention at all you'll be able to z-toss the bomb and stop him in his tracks. From this point a whirling galaxy of options becomes available to you: jab the bomb so it hits him again, dash attack, bounce a boomerang off the floor, pull another bomb, SH nair, and etc. If he shields the bomb you get some other fun options like a possible dash grab, and the bomb provides great shield pressure, not to mention the explosion at his feet will often shield stab.

Another shining use of the bomb is to immediately follow a boomerang. The sequence is usually something like this: boomerang to buy time, pull a bomb, allow the boomerang to return, throw boomerang, throw bomb. The bomb throw provides practically instant retribution because no matter how your opponent chooses to receive the boomerang you will be able to bomb them before they can throw up an adequate defense.

It just takes patience and good aim. use yer options.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Your scenario sounds decent on paper, and I commend you for thinking into it deeply, but I feel the best use of the bomb is as long-range pressure. You give a lot of options following your shield-thrown bomb, but many of them are pretty gimmicky, as I feel the best thing to do in most competitive scenarios would be to run the hell away and keep camping.

The bomb won't be giving much relief from shield pressure, because you are still vulnerable from above. Past that, the bomb is only weakly thrown, making it have unacceptably poor range, not to mention that it's about the same speed as a jump N-Air/D-Air, which is probably a better option. Your aerials are disabled and replaced by the bomb throw too, meaning you lose half your passable OOS actions...Up-B, jump and bomb OOS aren't too good a set of options. The bomb isn't really shield pressure, and it won't ever shield stab unless the shield is half-depleted or so...

The key point is, a bomb in the hand is a bomb not thrown. What you've written is by no means an unusable tactic, but I feel it's more of a gimmick, albeit an interesting one.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
@StretchNutzThat's your play style, which differs from mine somehow...

Anyway, by "z-toss" is that like when link drops the bomb (like when he gets hit by Foxes laser sometimes)?

if not, is dropping the bomb any time you want whenever you get hit doable?

It seems to randomly happen sometimes.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
It is not. I believe he's referring to attempting a shield-grab when you have a bomb - it causes you to throw it weakly out of shield.

Surprisingly few people know of it.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
There are surprising amounts of versatile move with the bomb. I think long ranged pressure is great for players who are constantly in the air, while a player who does not perfect shield pressure will get countered at close range which does open link up to a lot of options.

Granted, this does not give you a viable defense if they are pressuring with constant aerials but I know it has saved my life many a time shield throwing it out inbetween falcon usmashes on shield.

The biggest thing for me, thought somewhat simple, is that you cannot block a bomb with an aerial like you can a boomerang. Despite being a simple concept, the attribute makes it a destructive force as an approach weapon.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
@aa
Oh, I was wondering if something like pressing z before/while/after getting hit could perform the dropping action, but well, too bad then.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Past that, the bomb is only weakly thrown, making it have unacceptably poor range
Wrong. You can do the same input you would for a FSmash out of shield, and a strong throw will come out. In fact, you can do it in any direction.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I found a surprising number of people didn't know hitting down B again while already holding a bomb threw it strongly in front of you. Pretty useful for plat drop bomb throws and stuff.

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
@StretchNutzThat's your play style, which differs from mine somehow...

It seems to randomly happen sometimes.
Well it's a small part of my playstyle... which mostly consists of run away boomerang boomerang boomerang nair. And yeah it does, happened to me today... got rested by a jiggs and dropped the bomb which then hit her out of endlag. moderate ****.

firo

Smash Ace
A good use of the bomb is to hold it when your opponent has just died and is invincible in the beginning of his next life. If it's on Dreamland and you are up against someone fast like Falcon and you can't get away from his grab/upsmash, holding a bomb can disrupt a combo. Unless, of course, the opponent can predict the explosion and use it to continue the combo (which really stinks).

The Star King

Smash Hero
I remember I was experimenting with invisible bombs. I would try to set one up between kills if I have enough time (mostly from Star KOs).

However, I switched to Jabo_3d6 because I was tired of 7's graphic exceptions, and so I can't see the animation for the bomb about to explode, and they're pretty much impossible to set up now :[

The Star King

Smash Hero
Too good to be true.

P.S. Technically, my avatar, Monere, is a Magic Elemental. Pasis is a Psychic Elemental.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
If you want to see all the ssb graphics properly, you should be switching to glide64 video plugin(well the important ones anyways).

RickySSB

Smash Ace
I love Link is my main Character. And I love this Guide.
(Uair + USmash + SH Uair + Utilt + SH running Bair + Utilt or Dtilt + Anything. xD)

:):);):):)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
aa did you write those MU theory craft stuff yourself, or did it come from the BRoom or something?

Top Bottom