• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link: Full Guide & Discussion Topic

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Are the Links in the image boys or girls?
Also I disagree with the matchup Link=Link (50:50), it should be 65:35 IMO.
Does it matter? If they were guys I'd still go them.

Nice joke aa, even if your Rin avatar is left to be desired.

Sangoku

Smash Master
The red one really looks like a girl, but not so sure about the blue one. And yes it matters, since when am I not able to distinguish between males and females >_>. Nobody more qualified could help us?

And of course you would ciaza, since you're gay.

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^obviously women.

Anyways, is jab>Dsmash really legit, or do I just keep getting lucky? Say the person in by the edge (combo-ed there or not). I jab them right off the edge and then immediately Dsmash. I figure they might just be jumping immediately into it trying to get back on the stage. Also, I started doing it on stage, and I keep getting rewarded. Sometimes I feel like it comboed, and sometime it seems to shield poke. IDK. I keep doing it because it keeps working but I figured I should ask before I develop a bad habit that doesn't work on good players (the dude I was playing wasn't that good).

B Link

Smash Lord
An opponent who jab edgeguards is easily countered by pretty much every character. Obviously if they're dumb and they just ledge hop or try to get up normally then they won't counter it.

I'm pretty sure that one can always roll away after getting pressured with a jab on their shield to escape the downsmash. If its a jab on an opponent with their shield down, some players like to counter it by jabbing back (which stops a downsmash). After the jabs it goes back into spacing and approaching. I would rather just jab and then pressure.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Use projectiles to create openings and approach. Camping is for noobs.
^^ This.

Also lear about the boomerang combinations that can be done and the good use of Nair (if you don't know it already)
And FF+aerials is really usefull.

Link is my favorite character.
imo, is the sexiest character in the entire game.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
You're an idiot.

It's obvious that Jigglypuff is that the sexiest character in the entire game. If you don't agree with me you can just suck Jigglypuff's long, girthy nair.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
lol
Excuse my foolishness.
Jigglypuff's Nair is obviously good, but that was my opinion bout it, I like Jigglypuff, but not as much as I like Link.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I don't get how to use the bomb. It seems really laggy to take out, and it doesn't seem like it's that good of a projectile anyway. You throw it once and then it's gone and you have to do the laggy take out again.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Jump away before taking a bomb so you still have the running away momentum (which is always good for coward link). And throw a boomerang before the bomb. I don't know, I have the feeling a lot of people just jump into bombs.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Bombs are great in tandem with boomerangs. They fly at different speeds, and if you time a bomb throw with the stalling of the boomerang (before it comes back to you), then you can create a pretty nasty cluster**** in certain situations.

Like Star King said, Link's projectiles are there to create openings and force players into making mistakes. Also, people seem to be very wary of the boomerang, since it always manages to return at the worst time, interrupting combos and otherwise being annoying for everybody but YOU. Throwing it behind you and then bum rushing your opponent is pretty effective since you can manipulate the boomerang into zooming by you into your opponent by jumping over it or something. Also, the threat is there, even if it doesn't hit, making your opponent nervous.

Also, top of tent, smash throw two bombs up one after another, and then a third light throw (just press A) into the two other bombs as they are falling. They'll all bounce around and land in the pit, going off at different times creating a minefield. Clearly best tactic in the game.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Also, top of tent, smash throw two bombs up one after another, and then a third light throw (just press A) into the two other bombs as they are falling. They'll all bounce around and land in the pit, going off at different times creating a minefield. Clearly best tactic in the game.
It looks cool, but I've never seen a good ingame use for that.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
It looks cool, but I've never seen a good ingame use for that.
Are you kidding?! Every ingame use for that is inherently good.

But seriously, it does work on occasion if you have some spare time or after a kill. I've seen people get caught up down there and take at least one bomb hit.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
If you're really going to ignore my winning advice, do what everyone else is saying and throw projectiles for openings - boomerang all the time, pull out bombs when you have a chance, hold bomb until you have an obvious opening and toss them. Keep in mind bombs disable everything but boomerang, shield and Up-B.

People are often dumb and either run into bombs or make it incredibly obvious where they're going so as not to be hit by the bomb, because 15% projectiles are dangerous (10% impact + 5/4% boom).

I like approaching with B-Air or with F-Air if I feel daring, F-Air on a shield is an easy grab for 15% and lets you start camping spacing again. Or that F-Air F-Tilt Up-B pseudo-break. F-Air hitting them means you get to run in and SH D-Air or U-Smash (bleh) if you want. Or run away. B-Air is just big and hits lots of stuff with hitboxes that last longer than I think they should.

Lots of crap you can do after getting in on them, can't be bothered listing though, see Isai videos or something.

The Star King

Smash Hero
fair their shield and grab

jump and dair

jump beneath them and uair

my advice is so good

I didn't read aa's post so sorry if he already said this

asianaussie

Smash Hero
D-Air isn't *that* good for approach persay, it's more like you sit in their attack range and SH D-Air, they'll run right into it or risk being hit when you land.

i suppose you can get a second hit with d-air sometimes, plus you can retreat easily if you do land a hit, but i still don't like it as a primary approach

U-Air from below, always. I assumed he could figure that much out.

god i hate no quick-edits

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah you gotta use it when they are in a pressure situation and they can't beat it with something. Wow I'm so good at explaining things

I'm thinking of starting a full-scale rebellion to protest the atrocity that is no quick-edits.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
^^ LOL yeah

But Link is a good/fun character to use, but how slow he is could get to be an issue for someone who use to main Fox, but you'll get use to it.

Try simple combos on Hyrule or Dreamland, like:
F-air -> Dash-U-smash x 2 -> SH-U-air x 2 -> FH-Boomerang -> 2nd-Jump + U-B
to get familiar with it.

Or this video I posted a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZkGjJqVe_I

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I combo ok with link once I hit an uair or usmash (sometimes utilt), but it seems like his standard approaches (fair/bair/dair/projectile) don't really combo well into any of those moves. Am i doing it wrong?

dandan

Smash Lord
well, on floaties, projectile can be followed by utilt at low %, and i think it works on heavies at higher %.
usmashing does not really work vs people who have even remotely decent di, as it is so punishable after they di out of the second hit.
dunno about approaching with uair, feels dangerous, you get free grab if you hit shield, but should not really work that much i guess.

B Link

Smash Lord
Link projectile spamming is really effective in creating long matches, but it doesn't secure the win if that's all you rely on.

The Star King

Smash Hero
dunno about approaching with uair, feels dangerous, you get free grab if you hit shield, but should not really work that much i guess.
lol bro, you should be beating aerials from below with Link's uair and stuff, not hitting shields or whatever

Trying to think how I get my Link combos started. I think I rely on USmash a lot at low %s :/

Bomb mid-air dthrow -> fastfall uair -> stuff works pretty well

dandan

Smash Lord
never said i used it for approaching, he just said approaching with uair and i listed the faults with that.
if you counter an aerial with it, it is not really approaching (at least as i see it, as you are not the one initiating).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i use u-smash way too much, it's a really bad move if you think about it

ballin, u-tilt more, lots more, most aerials let you u-tilt safely if you land in the right place

i suggest just fighting the attrition battle till like 40% when u-tilt starts juggling

The Star King

Smash Hero
ballin didn't say anything about approaching with uair

I also use usmash way too much, although I tend to get away with it. I probably do so because I feel like Link lacks other options for combos at low %s. I know I should probably not try to combo until mid-percents, but I find it hard to resist the urge lol. But yeah, follow asianaussie's advice.

dandan

Smash Lord
ok, i am dumb then, nvm, it is a known fact that keeps on being fortified.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
SH U-Air is a workable approach in the same way run-up-hookshot can work. Punish them for doing the same crap over and over. If a person jumps out of shield a lot, SH U-Air leads straight into U-Tilt a lot of the time, or more U-Airs. Projectiles can also knock them to a height where U-Air works.

Not so much against little opponents like Jiggs and Kirby. But then again, you shouldn't be approaching either of those guys in the first place. Or anyone, for that matter. Dunno why these froobs keep telling you to approach.

HELLO I AM A CONSPICUOUS LACK OF QUICKEDIT, HOW MAY I RUIN YOUR DAY TODAY

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
U-air could work well to start a combo if you're doing a training mode combo or you have a really good read of your opponent's moves, F-air is way better than U-air as a combo starter, don't use U-smash to start a combo at low % on heavies neither since it'll be techable.

If you really like to U-smash, try after:
F-air -> Dash-U-smash...
Or
U-air -> U-smash...

With the first one being my advice.

Top Bottom