• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link in the NEW tier list(updated to TL#4)

Yadel16

Smash Cadet
Link shouldn't be lower than Jiggz, because Link has been doing better in the ranking list and Jiggz is still flopping

Rizen

Smash Legend
That tier list is posted in every thread I visit *grumble*. Link's bad but he'd be higher if more people played him. Most really good Links quit, which was smart; at a high level Link just can't win. If everyone stuck with Link he'd be higher from almost winning. Link lacks in competitive play elements that tourneys focus on.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Wow, another Aussie? :)

I was a pretty regular member of the Pika and Marth boards while I was around then I left for about a year... came back hoping for a Link rise too since he's one of my favs

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, Link isn't going to move up in any updates.

Arkive quit Brawl, so we can't rely on him for good tournament results.
Legan is sort of... around, no one ever really knows what's going on with him.
Deva is busy with college stuff.
Izaw lives in Europe, so his tournament results are sort of tossed aside.

Plus the Link community migrated over to a different forum, so even if we did get **** tournament results, the Smash Back Room here wouldn't see them at all. The few people in our community that bring back good results are too obscure and the tournaments aren't big enough for anyone at SWF to ever care.

Basically, anyone at a high level of play is going to look at Link and scoff- not even bothering with trying to move him.

But that's okay. The fanboy in our hearts will keep Link top tier in our minds forever. : o

Arcade

Smash Ace
Plus the Link community migrated over to a different forum, so even if we did get **** tournament results, the Smash Back Room here wouldn't see them at all. The few people in our community that bring back good results are too obscure and the tournaments aren't big enough for anyone at SWF to ever care.
What if someone made a "Link Tournament Placings" thread, updating with the placings of Link mains from the "different forum" (I assume you mean AiB)? Meanwhile Link mains from SWF would be posting their own placings in that thread too.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
But that's okay. The fanboy in our hearts will keep Link top tier in our minds forever. : o
Waffles, I love you.

Also looking at the tier list 4 discussion thread there is a backlash from quite a few people saying Link deserved to move up and he isn't second worst.

Good to see Link mains aren't alone on this.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Personally I find Link being second worst just to lol @ Triforce Tier. Otherwise it's largely illogical.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Maybe if Link and Falcon swapped places in the current tier list that would be right. But yeah, Triforce tier is epic :chuckle:

But to be honest I kinda don't really mind much where Link is. I don't seem to strongly disagree or strongly agree with where he should be now.

:link:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm more so looking at an objective level, in which case Link being in bottom tier doesn't reflect on his basic attributes, and that's not accounting for his ATs (which are largely gimmicks, only a few are very effective). Neither Ganon or Zelda has that luxury.

He has more than enough going for him to be placed in Low tier.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Honestly Link needs more rep. Everybody basically just throws him aside because of his abysmal recovery. He has things going for him that make him better than what the tier list makes him out to be. I still think he's a really bad character but not bad enough to be second from the bottom.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
He's not second worst.
In terms of Low Tier's I've beaten plenty of good players Low Tier's with Link as well as in regular tournament play.

He is by no means good, but he isn't the second worst in the game. No way.

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I can't stand Pikachu. It's really friggin' hard for me to keep good distance with that little yellow explitive, and putting up with that Bdown spam is a nightmare.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Cheap tactics destroy Link. Kirby's a MU that gets me. I need more experience.

Even though Link has an abysmal recovery, pretty slow attacks and some large start up on his projectiles, he's still kinda fit for F-tier but the only thing that blocks him is him being under rated

Avenger7x

Smash Cadet
Link definitely should be a little higher on the tier list IMO. His recovery isn't great but he has a lot of options and I see a lot of players doing well with him in tourney results. I mean, I see a lot more links among the top ten/twenty than I do, say, Bowser or others that are well above link in the tier list. But on the other hand what does it matter what he places in the tier list. I believe people just enjoy playing link because he's a fun character to use and if people can do o.k. at tourneys with him then who cares?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
There's no way Link is second worst. I used to main Captain Falcon, and I feel like Link has more going for him than Falcon. Link's wretched recovery does condemn him to be a bottom-dweller though, and once people see he is "bad," the onus goes to Link to prove that he's not. Basically Link's been pigeon-holed into second-from-bottom and has fallen into a self-fulfilling prophecy where people don't want to bother with him and just accept as truth that Link is truly that bad.

Slowmoveguy

Smash Rookie
His recovery is still too horrid-bad.

He's where he should be IMO.
Your opinion needs more back bone. If you know how to Bomb drop and hold onto your bomb, if your trying to recover and still have a bomb in your hand, and it blows up, that's another Up-B. That is very important in my Link tatics (Link is the only charather I played in all SSB) Links recovery shouldn't be a downfall in his Tier placement.

Isane

Smash Rookie
Metaknight die really early IF hitted but he doesnt get hitted.... Link die really early IF anyone get him offstage, but he may be not get offstage if you rule him!

Rizen

Smash Legend
^But Link is slow with bad air movement. Many characters can chain grab Link a lot of damage and get him off stage that way with one grab.

^But Link is slow with bad air movement. Many characters can chain grab Link a lot of damage and get him off stage that way with one grab.
Let alone the fact that he has some really bad lag on nearly every single move he has :/.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Let alone the fact that he has some really bad lag on nearly every single move he has :/.

Not every move. Tilts, b-air, jab, d-smash is fast.The first hit of his f-smash is fast. Arrow canceling helps out. Shielding the exact moment the boomerang returns negates the capture lag. Need I mention his awesome spot-dodge?

In all honesty, I feel Link SHOULD be a higher placement (his projectile game has great potential), and his ability to punish lag isn't bad, either. The only problem he has is, as stated infinitely before, his abysmal recovery. He's a fun character to play with (may I also mention: awesome voice actor?).

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Link is a solid character with a bad recovery. Even if his recovery was, say, identical to Toon Link's, though, he would still probably wouldn't be higher than 25 or so though, because of his vulnerability to chain grabs, and his moves are pretty sluggish (even his jab takes 6 frames, which, while fast, isn't as fast as most characters' fastest options). Honestly, I think Link should move up a couple more spots to about 32 or 33, but I don't know if he has the tourney results to warrant it. There is NO way Captain Falcon is better than Link (I used to main CF), and I think he's better than Samus and Jigglypuff too.

Geddan

Smash Ace
Link is a solid character with a bad recovery. Even if his recovery was, say, identical to Toon Link's, though, he would still probably wouldn't be higher than 25 or so though, because of his vulnerability to chain grabs, and his moves are pretty sluggish (even his jab takes 6 frames, which, while fast, isn't as fast as most characters' fastest options). Honestly, I think Link should move up a couple more spots to about 32 or 33, but I don't know if he has the tourney results to warrant it. There is NO way Captain Falcon is better than Link (I used to main CF), and I think he's better than Samus and Jigglypuff too.
i agree with this.

i don't know much about CF (i don't really care lol), but from my experiences, link at least has priority on his moves.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Link can DEFINITELY own CF. A 'Puff player is just annoying because you can't hit 'em that up high in the air, but immensely satisfying when a simple u-tilt KOs them. I'm mean.

As for Samus, I'm not so sure. She's hard to KO, and can keep even Link (with THREE projectiles) harassed and on his toes with her missiles and charge shots, even if she's on the slower side. She's also got good jumping ability and a MASSIVE ledge sweetspot (the largest of all characters, I think).

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Samus. What a quirk.

Alright. So Samus has a few things going for her. Her projectiles are very versatile. Although she has three, you could basically count them as five and a recovery move considering their different options (fast missile/guided missile, charged blue/regular blue, bomb jump/bomb drop). So that's her projectile game.

Then she has the chain. The Z-Air has the ability to stun- this makes for a lot of annoying follow-ups that are extremely hard/impossible to escape. It also tethers- just like ours.

She floats. She doesn't fast fall. If Samus can get Link offstage, it's going to be a mess. She can D-Air from wherever she wants to offstage and not worry about fastfalling or dying from its lag. Not to mention all of her other ledge-guards. She has the N-Air, just like us. She has the B-Air. She can even gimp with bombs.

Recovery. Enough said?

Top Bottom