• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Player Finder

Goast

Smash Journeyman
This weekend I'm playing in my first melee tournament in over a year... debuting link this weekend... so hyped!

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
Btw I have officially changed my smash name to MothersAgainstDrunkDriving
Just noticed this, can't tell if serious or trolling lol. But did you really want to change it? I'll change it if you want.

This weekend I'm playing in my first melee tournament in over a year... debuting link this weekend... so hyped!
Good luck on the tourny, try go win it :cool:.

And finally, its good to see this thread more active lately. Also I've added both of you MALVM MALVM and Cherished Doll. @ Doll, you know how to play a bit of Link too?

Goast

Smash Journeyman
Just noticed this, can't tell if serious or trolling lol. But did you really want to change it? I'll change it if you want.

Good luck on the tourny, try go win it :cool:.
LOL this is a LEGIT name change.

Thanks. I will do my best this weekend to rep link. I have a lot of technical skill down pat and I've been working on mental/observational aspects. I need to read these threads a bit more though.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Nah its cool, nobody ever notices me down here anyways. I need to travel more often and attend bigger tournies >_>. If only my scene had bigger tournies :(.
Dallas, Houston and Austin all have big tourneys bro, and there's a heavy shortage of Link mains.
Though Project M Link is too good for me to really care about Melee Link anymore.
If they ever get the grapples to work like Melee that'll be it, lol.

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
Oh BRLNK, I'm may be moving to Houston soon, maybe we could meet sometime sooner? I have tournies here in my area. And there are a lot of players here, its just that rarely any players or anyone random ever enters even though there are usually a lot people around the tournies =/. Usually the Omnicon events are the only ones we get a good amount of people. Which btw, would you like to come to the event? I've invited other players from different parts of Texas and some of them seem down to go. Here's the event. http://www.facebook.com/events/254680427916245/

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
Well i'm not well known either.

:phone:
Well idk about that but I have at least seen some people talk about you and you have some matches uploaded on youtube. I've yet to see anyone that knows much about me and I don't really have any of my decent matches uploaded; (I have vids uploaded but those suck since the matches were super laggy cuz of the recording). :(

@ Bing, don't worry. We're just teaming for a day in a week. Don't know if I'll be able to meet Doll again after that though.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Oh BRLNK, I'm may be moving to Houston soon, maybe we could meet sometime sooner? I have tournies here in my area. And there are a lot of players here, its just that rarely any players or anyone random ever enters even though there are usually a lot people around the tournies =/. Usually the Omnicon events are the only ones we get a good amount of people. Which btw, would you like to come to the event? I've invited other players from different parts of Texas and some of them seem down to go. Here's the event. http://www.facebook.com/events/254680427916245/
I only really come to Houston to visit my parents, you'd have better luck if you come to Austin, though we may not have another major tourney until the fall.
If Omnicon has a PM tourney I may consider it, its not really worth it traveling for Melee anymore.

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
I only really come to Houston to visit my parents, you'd have better luck if you come to Austin, though we may not have another major tourney until the fall.
If Omnicon has a PM tourney I may consider it, its not really worth it traveling for Melee anymore.
Idk if there will be a Project M tourny but its possible there could be one if there's enough interest, I'm helping with the smash tournies there; also me and a friend of mine have Project M so we could actually have it there at the event at least for friendlies. Although if you really want to go, you may want to save up a lot of money since the con does get expensive sometimes.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Texas really needs a high level PMBR member to host some tourneys.
I thought that Strong Bad lives here but I think he's actually in Missouri.
Most of the Austin Melee scene largely prefers Melee so there's zero chance of one happening here, it partly stems from the fact most everyone is a tier ***** and doesn't care about new characters or buffed up low tiers.
I for one want a new game that's like Melee and am sick of having to use Marth because everyone else uses Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik.

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
I know that feel, I know its hard to deal with when most people use top/high tiers mostly =/. I have mainly spacies, and c. falcons in my area, a little bit of sheiks, and peach too; and oddly enough almost one of each character that are played high level. I recently had a free Project M tourny here which had a great turnout but wasn't finished unfortunately due to too many players entering and had not expected it to last as long as it did. We did it free since most people around hadn't played it before and wasn't sure how the community would react to it at first, turned out some liked it. We'll probably be having them free till enough people are willing to pay for tournies. I still have the brackets to the unfinished one, may post/finish the tourny later if the same players come by again.

Bing

Smash Master
Texas really needs a high level PMBR member to host some tourneys.
I thought that Strong Bad lives here but I think he's actually in Missouri.
Most of the Austin Melee scene largely prefers Melee so there's zero chance of one happening here, it partly stems from the fact most everyone is a tier ***** and doesn't care about new characters or buffed up low tiers.
I for one want a new game that's like Melee and am sick of having to use Marth because everyone else uses Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik.

I think you need to change your Link's style because Yes, Link struggles with top tiers but yes it is manageable. He does have options, there are obvious handicapes, but it can be done!

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
I think you need to change your Link's style because Yes, Link struggles with top tiers but yes it is manageable. He does have options, there are obvious handicapes, but it can be done!
This is true, I occasionally have problems with top tiers myself, it is possible to overcome some handicaps. For example 95% of the time (for me), most players find it near impossible to edge guard me thanks to dodging and the hookshot to the stage at the right time.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'd rather Link be a better character than have to revolutionize my style.
Everyone here would not doubt shamelessly exploit every gay tactic the top tiers have over Link, and I would just get frustrated and thus start hating the game.
I already get frustrated with the Marth/Sheik MU, I can't even imagine forcing myself to do Fox/Link or Sheik/Link.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
I's funny cause today I thought on paper
1) link has 3 projectiles
2) he can attack out of airdodge
3) great recover options
4) hits heavy
5) has great spacing tools

I think it's us lol

my link game has seriously improved when I stepped back and looked at what Kind of character link is as opposed to just... what he can do. I get excited studying this character and when I play to his balance MU goes out the window

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Link is also very slow and sluggish, has some of the worst frame data in the game (jab alone takes 7 frames), his zair is almost pointless because of the ending lag, he still gets edgeguarded hard by characters like Fox and Marth, his strong attacks have to be sweetspotted to hit heavy and his strongest move, dair, has a lot of start up, and he gets outcamped by Falco.
Basically most of his strengths are negated when facing a top tier in a skilled player's hands, and his weaknesses become far more augmented.

For me personally, it doesn't help that from a competitive standpoint most of the players in my community are more skilled than me, the last thing I need is additional handicaps.

Bing

Smash Master
Link's comboing ability is also hard to adjust and get good with. I just nair a lot and throw boomers inbetween nairs to add stun before I nair again.

I grab too much because Link's grab has great range(in one direction) and like... a novels length in lag if you miss the grab. Plus unless you are good with said comboing ability. There's not a ton you can do... maybe d-throw up-b(So Original)

Link has good edgeguards vs Characters like Falcon, Peach etc. Against Spacies you can cut-off nair, or punish the start-up lag. You can also hope they dont sweet spot the ledge and up-b spike like a douchebag

The reason why I wrote this? a) To see how wrong I am b) If Im right, people can read this and hopefully learn a thing or two :D

Bing

Smash Master
I beg to differ.

So many of Links options come from Projectiles, meaning that you have to be spot on in order to be effective with said projectiles or risk hitting your teammate, may only be a few percent, but that second of hitstun is a falcon stomp or a Fox drill shine.

Link is slow(too slow tbh)
He gets ***** in 2 v 1's. He does have his up-b and d-smash to cover both sides if needed, but if one shields it or avoids it, the lag is enough to get punished.

Now Link can be effective on larger stages like Dreamland and PS(I like platforms wayyy too much)
But on smaller stages, I think he gets butt ****ed pretty good

I think a Link player could make a good teammate if he limited projectiles, I just nair'd like a boss. you can also set up decent team combos with his grab range and his moveset.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
I did not represent link well this weekend lol. I'm gonna have to get better. Got a lot of advice from pro's tho.

Top Bottom