• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It's entirely possible that the new design is just an amalgamation of his different designs. But, if any of his moves gets switched, it should be the bow. The boomerang is more unique, more useful, and slightly more iconic.

Besides, the skyward strike is already pretty similar to the bow... you charge it and then release a forward projectile. I'd want it to hurt enemies that run into his raised sword, hurt enemies when he swings it forward, and then finally have the projectile. Also, I'd want him to be able to move around freely while charging it.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Awww... man Link's recovery is still áss. :urg:
I hope his tether recovery has been buffed so he can latch onto places other than the ledge.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hope at least his Spin Attack is as strong as in Melee.

link2702

Smash Champion
poor link....it seems they actually made his recovery EVEN worse from what i saw in the trailer....

Its like almost as bad as it was in smash64 now :| they actually took the character with the worst recovery in the game in brawl, and made his recovery even worse than before....

way to go sakurai:mad:

TMS

Smash Journeyman
If Snake isn't returning I am so maining Link. His model in this game just looks so good. I hope he's not ass-tier like he was in Brawl though.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Yeah I think they probably have yet to get into the nitty gritty of character balancing. If Link is deemed underpowered then things like his recovery may be buffed.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I would just like to see Link get his Hookshot back from Melee, where it shoots into the side wall of the stage and doesn't go for the ledge. Or at very least make it longer then that crappy Clawshot from Brawl something like Ivysaur's
up B would give him more options. I'm probably out of luck but I'd love to see Link's Boomerang for Melee come back as well. I hate the twister boomerang in Brawl.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
What we really need is some inspiration from the N64 era of Smash.

Link had great combo mobility in SSB64, and together with his boomerang (which had great combo abilities) and bombs, he was perfect for zoning and close combat at the same time.

The best part of Link in SSB64 is in my opinion his Spin Attack. It was a great knock-out move and a horrible recovery move. Wouldn't mind something like that again...

It seems like the new UpB resembles the one from Brawl a lot. I liked that one least... Oh well, as you have discussed, they should add the feature to use the hookshot on the stage, like in Melee.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Ove... I know someone named Ove who is from Sweden as well. His last name is Akerblom, do you know of him by any chance? This is really strange o.O

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I'm a bit confused as to what game Link's appearance is based off. To me it reminds me of a Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess meshed together into one. I can't help but wonder if his design will be based off a Zelda game for the Wii U for the future. If that is so, I'm very curious to see what Zelda and Ganondorf will look like as well, if they return. And hopefully no more 'extra Links' like YL and TL so that they don't feel the need to nerf Link. I'm hoping Link will be better next smash game.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Also, not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I'm a bit confused as to what game Link's appearance is based off. To me it reminds me of a Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess meshed together into one. I can't help but wonder if his design will be based off a Zelda game for the Wii U for the future. If that is so, I'm very curious to see what Zelda and Ganondorf will look like as well, if they return. And hopefully no more 'extra Links' like YL and TL so that they don't feel the need to nerf Link. I'm hoping Link will be better next smash game.
'Smash Link' has remained a consistent character for the most part with graphic updates. In SSB 64 he was OoT's model. Then Melee came out and Link basically looked like OoT Link but better rendered. Brawl Link got a few TP details but stayed blond and left handed continuing the Smash Link appearance theme. Now SSB4 Link looks like a more detailed Brawl Link with brighter colors due to the HD.

If I had to name the closest Link in Zelda games to Smash Link overall I'd say OoT Link.

I hope Link's Hylian shield is bigger and doesn't drop guard like how it was in Melee.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Would be kind of interesting to see Link use some other weapons, other than the usual bow, bomb, and boomerang. I know those are classic, but still, can't help but wonder how his move-set would be like with the whip from Skyward Sword, or the spinner from Twilight Princess. And remember when he could shoot an arrow with a bomb on it?

I hope he can actually recover with his spin attack this time, though it doesn't look very encouraging. To be honest, Link was the one who should have had Farore's Wind, not Zelda. But that move is bad too -_-

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Every time i buy a new smash one of the first characters i try out is Link and it NEVER feels good to play with. I want to main him so bad but he ALWAYS has the same problems. makes me so mad.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
I think Link could use some better finishing options. What's he got... insanely laggy d-air, f-smash 1 doesn't kill that well, f-smash 2 is hard to land at high damage, second hit of f-air is hard to land at high damage...
Having to charge Spin Attack makes perfect sense but was such a horrible nerf to the move's usability. Maybe it'd be cool if you could charge it while airborne too? It could be like Diddy's Rocket Barrels but maybe won't turn as sharply.
Also scrap that Gale Boomerang.

Masky

Smash Master
Every time i buy a new smash one of the first characters i try out is Link and it NEVER feels good to play with. I want to main him so bad but he ALWAYS has the same problems. makes me so mad.
According to a past Sakurai interview, the Zelda team, and not Sakurai, designs Link's moveset in Smash games. So that's probably why.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
According to a past Sakurai interview, the Zelda team, and not Sakurai, designs Link's moveset in Smash games. So that's probably why.
They may design the concepts of the moves. But Sakurai and his team would still be responsible for their execution and balance.

Rizen

Smash Legend
How could they remove the semi-spike?! :facepalm:

I think Link could use some better finishing options. What's he got...
Dair, Fair 2nd cut, Fsmash 1 and 2, Dsmash, Ftilt, Utilt can KO anywhere from 130% and up.
at higher %s ground Spin Attack, Uair and Usmash. Uthrow KOs at about 170%+.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
I just think that his kill moves are all risky/unreliable at best. Like yeah d-air and f-smash 2 are great in terms of power, but actually landing them on a thinking opponent is a lot different.
But you know, maybe I'm just that bad.

On a side note, I like the extra floppyness they gave his hat.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I just think that his kill moves are all risky/unreliable at best. Like yeah d-air and f-smash 2 are great in terms of power, but actually landing them on a thinking opponent is a lot different.
But you know, maybe I'm just that bad.

No no you are right, most of them must have great timing/accuracy attached to them. But thats brawl. lets hope for a better link in this game.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's KO moves could be buffed but the reason he has trouble landing them is his bad mobility. He actually has a wide assortment of decent KO moves. Dsmash for example starts frame 6 -faster than Wolf's and Utilt frame 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnN5oTq9t0&feature=player_detailpage#t=185s

It's kind of a 'you say tomato I say tomoto' thing but I never thought of Link's actual killing potential to be his problem.
Brawl Link's a spacing character who's too laggy and immobile to space. Technically Link's ground attacks are faster than TL's and his attacks are generally stronger. TL is a high tier because he can actually move and control spacing.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Aside from him being really crappy, I liked all the moves link has had over the years. I hope he feels similar but is better than his previous incarnations. I hope we get a "regular" boomerang and his bombs are more like the 64 bombs myself, and arrows would hopefully be decent too. I love his up b, it looks nice and buff - and looks like it did good knockback after it's initial strike in the video we saw.

Link is one of the coolest characters in Nintendos repertoire so I hope he feels as good as he looks this time!

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
I'd love to be able to juggle bombs in the air like in 64 again.

Hong

The Strongest
You know, it's not like I didn't know how to use it, but I didn't like the Gale Boomerang at all. That, and the fact all projectiles except those of Falco and Snake, were rather mediocre in Brawl in general.

As a primarily projectile-oriented player (after that, heavy sluggers <3), I hope we can see projectiles completely destroy recovery like they did in SSB64. We already saw infinite air-dodging so I know landing good hits will be hard enough as is.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So much wind hate :(
I hope we can see projectiles completely destroy recovery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVPxQt6Fd2A&feature=player_detailpage#t=151s

Using the gale wind:

Here's where I disagree with most Links but I think the wind metagame is very underdeveloped. The wind can be a great spacing tool imo.
These examples are intentional and only wind, not including the normal boomerang attack uses.
2 hit combos like Dsmash 1st and 2nd hit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS9ZL...ailpage#t=165s
Forcing spacing (at the end the wind pushes out then pulls in).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS9ZL...ailpage#t=101s
Using the wind push to gimp lag or free falling (people say this never works but it does; vs good people on and offline if used sparingly).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isGgo...ailpage#t=326s
How many characters can gimp MK?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME5Oh...ailpage#t=243s
Edge stalling aid vs characters who anti-plank with guided range, flamethrower etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwvkp...ailpage#t=126s
It's a great range attack disruptor that stays out a long time (also moves items like grenades and bombs and detonates Snake's Dsmash mines).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pgth...tailpage#t=76s
Crossovers and disrupting spacing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdeC5...tailpage#t=85s
Basically the wind is an all around good spacing tool (but not attack)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDlxf...tailpage#t=61s

I just want to prove before the wind is gone in SSB4 that the gale effect was a good tool :ohwell:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, you personally was able to put it up for good usage yeah :laugh: Can't disagree with that. That MetaKnight gimp was just golden!

I personally hope we get Skyward Strike for Side B. I mean, sword beams. Who doesn't like those?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yeah the Monty Python god appeared and told me to go on a quest for the holy Gale!

And I've been using wind in Link's game ever since :p

I personally hope we get Skyward Strike for Side B. I mean, sword beams. Who doesn't like those?
I can't argue with that logic. It would be cool if maybe Ftilt and some normal sword attacks got sword beams.

If skyward Strike was a special attack (I still prefer boomerang though) it should be transcendent and chargeable like Samus' Charge Beam but weaker. Ness and Lucas could PSIMagnet it since it's energy. It would be fun to aim diagonally up or down :)

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
hopefully the semi spike in his spin attack is back.
I want that, too, but after seeing the one time Link used a spin early and Fox ran into it, during the reveal trailer, I don't think that's the case.
Rather, I think it merely has a buff in power.
Can't even confirm if it can still be charged, at this point.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
To sum up what Link needs...

- Better finishing move
- Boosted recovery (either up-b or tether)
- Replacement of the f-b

Just started playing Brawl again after two year pause and I played around a bit with him and he has a good feel to him, but his lack of recovery always kills me, haha.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
They should add the ability to be able to aim his N-Special. Since the distance it travels and it's speed relies on how long the move is charged, they should at least let you aim the attack. There are very few strategies in which it has an effective use. (at least that I know of.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom