• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I don't care which of the LoZ games they used for his most recent design. Mained Link for like 15 years, just glad he's back.

Hopefully he jumps a bit higher this time around and his recovery special isn't completely destroyed if he has some momentum heading the opposite direction. He has had plenty of power and reach and priority in all the games. Don't think he needs any crazy finishers, just needs the knockback of his moves to match the damage that they deal.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Today's site update features Link

Im sure its just his Fair, but something about the animation looks off here. Maybe it could be part of the Up B as well, but just something about it looks off from the normal Link moveset we all know. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Edit: Picture was changed so I removed the link

Rizen

Smash Legend
he should be able to call that dragon to recover when he presses up b now.
Which dragon? What game is that from?
Today's site update features Link

Im sure its just his Fair, but something about the animation looks off here. Maybe it could be part of the Up B as well, but just something about it looks off from the normal Link moveset we all know. Or maybe I'm just crazy.
^that's awesome :). I think the Skyloft stage background spins sometimes so it's not always aligned to the horizon. That might make it look off. Link's legs look like he's doing Fair 1st cut nut more diagonally http://imageshack.us/a/img156/7168/fair1.jpg it would be nice if Link's slashes had more vertical distance.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
^that's awesome :). I think the Skyloft stage background spins sometimes so it's not always aligned to the horizon. That might make it look off. Link's legs look like he's doing Fair 1st cut nut more diagonally http://imageshack.us/a/img156/7168/fair1.jpg it would be nice if Link's slashes had more vertical distance.
Well, that whole background not being aligned with the horizon happened with Melee's Mute City and Brawl's Delfino Plaza before. While it's odd, Skyloft is not the first stage to have such a thing to happen.

Now that I think of it, Link's attack doesn't seem to match his forward aerial nor the Spin Attack... New attack maybe?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces

oops, my mistake, I meant the loftwing. for some reason i thought of it as a dragon. it's stupidity that he recovers with his spin attack That's never used to gain vertical distance in any zelda game, like ever. they should make his recovery something he actually uses to gain ground in a real zelda game if they had any ounce of common sense.

Neo Zero

It took me a while to see it, but im pretty sure you're right. The hitbox on it does seem to better cover him from a downward angle. I just hope the kill part of the move covers downward more as well.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
oops, my mistake, I meant the loftwing. for some reason i thought of it as a dragon. it's stupidity that he recovers with his spin attack That's never used to gain vertical distance in any zelda game, like ever. they should make his recovery something he actually uses to gain ground in a real zelda game if they had any ounce of common sense.
I don't know, that seems like it would be kind of awkward to use. Maybe if it spiraled upward it would be ok, but it would still be wierd for it to just appear like that.

Wait. . . he CAN do that move. Roc's Feather + Spin Attack. I spam that all the time in Link's Awakening.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think the updated image was just his UpB ...
Anyway even if is higher now, still a bad recovery move.
I totally agree with the Loftwing and if he needs something more usual in the franchise, double Clawshot.

Something that could be incredible :
He throws a bomb in front, use clawshot, and could use his second clawshoot to the Stage, if quickly.

Neo Zero

I never really liked those doing that either, but a Loftwing is significantly larger.
Mega spawns Rush out of nowhere and lets him fall to his death after, cant see why Link can't have a bird

Rizen

Smash Legend
You see with Sonic the spring was already there; it was an invisible block. Wario's bike comes out of the same place it goes when he eats it, a pocket dimension in his belly. Megaman calls Rush by a portable trans-server. These make perfect sense.

But c'mon a giant bird flying out of the sky to save Link? That's just silly :p

Joking aside, Link's keeping his spin attack recovery. It doesn't look much lower than Megaman's upB. Link's a taller character.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Link is the best.

that is... unless Waluigi comes into the question. :3

In that case, Waluigi would be the best.

Link being the 2nd best.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Spin Attack just needs some tweaking. It was a sound concept in his Brawl incarnation, but it needs to go further and, most importantly, IT NEEDS TO CANCEL MOMENTUM. If it gets both, it'll be a decent recovery move.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
This is coming from a player who mained Link and played him in tourmaments for 3+ years:

4 things that will significantly improve his design competitively:

1. Better frame data meaning less startup/ending frames/lag on his moves
2. Better mobility
3. Better out of shield options
4. Better recovery

Link could use a few changes to make him good in his own element, that being on the ground.

Link should be able to put his bombs down just like in his game. When you have a bomb hit down B again to put it down, if you smash down b while you have a bomb he can roll it. Simple enough.

For a more complex idea Link should be able to bash with his shield like in Skyward Sword. While Shielding, if you hit A+B simultaneously he'll do a shield thrust. It deflects projectiles if timed correctly, but you still suffer from the same stun that projectile would give you if you were to shield it. When you bash an attack the opponent just suffers from minor stun and slides away, you still suffer from the same stun of the attack (Doesn't work on aerials) It has short wind up and a laggy cool down so it has to be used with timing.

Link could also have a chargeable and launchable Spin attack. You can charge and release just like in Brawl, or you can exercise more options when you charge to max. When you charge to max you can hold it forever by holding down B and release it when you want, you can also walk slowly forward and backward while you are holding a charge just like in most Zelda games. Or you could hit L or R to hold the charge (Like a charge shot) and hit Up B to launch it. It would be a spiraling energy shot that is slow and dissipates at about two sword lengths. The "Skyward Strike" is used for damage, the "Spin Attack" is for KO's and finishers. This way Link has token abilities from his new and older franchises.

I honestly think my first idea is easy enough, the other two seem a bit too complicated. Imagine how good his ground game would be though. : )

Just thought I would re post this.

ShaqqyDiesel

Smash Rookie
I wonder...what if he had an UpB like the Song of Soaring in Majora's Mask? He'd play the ocarina and warp, and tap for different distances...Kind-of like Zelda's UpB but with more options

Rizen

Smash Legend
I wonder...what if he had an UpB like the Song of Soaring in Majora's Mask? He'd play the ocarina and warp, and tap for different distances...Kind-of like Zelda's UpB but with more options
That's an interesting idea.

Edit your posts rather than double posting BTW. It saves forum memory.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, he already has his old UpB.

Xiloh

Smash Cadet
He needs his smash 64 dash! oh and the multi-strike AAAAA from 64 and Melee. These two moves brought back alone would be enough! Also why not an Iron boots/megaton hammer combination of some kind? Link's wide variety of item use is overwhelmingly the reason he could be the baddest m*****f***er in the game!:crazy:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Fairly new to the site (dont critique me too hard)

Anyways, concerning the side-special, ive heard the idea of having the beetle from SS, you can control its trajectory, would last ~5secs and you would be able to pick up bombs that have been placed on the ground. (Or other items, but that might be too much.) It would be able to be cancelled.

Would personally want the ball and chain to be implemented in. Holding side b will cause you to slowly build momentum, and releasing will let the ball fly, causing huge knock back, but has alot of lag. It would be a risk vs reward move. Also, anyone hit by the momentum build up would suffer minor damage and knockback. This move would make you open to attacks from above

Also, the spin attack(if they keep it) should allow some movement on the ground. Like in soul caliber 2, only you can control the direction.

EDIT: thinking about it now, the bow should also have different random effects for the fire, ice and light arrows. Tge regular arrows would appear about 50% of the time, with fire dealing additional damage over time, ice will freeze or slow, depending on the bows power, and light arrows would the rarest causing an electrocution effect, or a brief stun.

It would be cool to see the magic wand from the original game in as well, dropping fire when contact is made with an enemy, leaving behind a fire patch (think PK fire)

If they use the megaton hammer, it could be similar to DKs down b, effecting enemies in a small area.

So many good ideas for Link, I want to hear MOAR

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Anyways, concerning the side-special, ive heard the idea of having the beetle from SS, you can control its trajectory, would last ~5secs and you would be able to pick up bombs that have been placed on the ground. (Or other items, but that might be too much.) It would be able to be cancelled.
The part in bolded sounds a bit overpowered. I mean it would really be deadly against Diddy Kong and Snake who depend on stage control.

Would personally want the ball and chain to be implemented in. Holding side b will cause you to slowly build momentum, and releasing will let the ball fly, causing huge knock back, but has alot of lag. It would be a risk vs reward move. Also, anyone hit by the momentum build up would suffer minor damage and knockback. This move would make you open to attacks from above
I dunno. You first mention the beetle for his side-special, and then the ball'n'chain again for side special? :confused:

I think the ball and chain might work for his U-air, with Link swinging it above his head.

Also, the spin attack(if they keep it) should allow some movement on the ground. Like in soul caliber 2, only you can control the direction.
I would really like that. :colorful:

EDIT: thinking about it now, the bow should also have different random effects for the fire, ice and light arrows. Tge regular arrows would appear about 50% of the time, with fire dealing additional damage over time, ice will freeze or slow, depending on the bows power, and light arrows would the rarest causing an electrocution effect, or a brief stun.

If they use the megaton hammer, it could be similar to DKs down b, effecting enemies in a small area.
Y'know, as a Toon Link fan, I'd like it if they use these ideas for decloning Toon Link instead. :3

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
@FalKoopa
These are just some ideas i wanted to throw on the table. I dont know if theyve been talked about yet or not. I also shoild have mentioned that some of these moves could work for toon link as well (or both?)

I feel they can differentiate Link and TL specials to further declone them, while leaving the a attacks fairly similar. You cant escape the idea that theyre both similar in fighting style, with a good old sword and board. They need to capture their similarities, but at the same time create a unique experience. Thats my 2 cents, anyway

But thats for another thread. Speakkng of which, is there a thread to discuss decloning between the two?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Rizen

Smash Legend
That would be like Bowser's whirling fortress. I'd like that. It should have a few armor frames too :)

Neo Zero

The spin attack is a pure offensive move, why would it ever have armor frames? O.o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom