• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

cjugs

Smash Ace
Uthrow puts him into a bad position and dthrowing can either force a tech or give you a chance to shieldgrab the bair he will inevitably throw out of he tries to DJ before hitting the ground. I'm not sure if dthrow utilt starts working until about 30 or 40%.

You can always fthrow -> get smacked by whatever move he chooses. Link's fthrow is terribad.
listen sir you said dthrowing ganon was bad because he come out of lag before you do. When does dthrow whatever work?

huMps

Smash Ace
thanks. Also I've been playing solid falco players non-stop lately and I'm getting better but it is still by far my worst match up and can not win. *** that blue ***** turkey

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
How can I beat Captain Falcon with Link? It seems like he's just designed to annihilate me. What are some good strategies?

Skler

Smash Master
listen sir you said dthrowing ganon was bad because he come out of lag before you do. When does dthrow whatever work?
He gets out of the lag before you do at lower %s. Once he's in mid %s you can generally land a hit, but he might be able to tech out anyways due to him being freakishly heavy. I haven't played a Dorf since Kage. It's been a while!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Hey guys, you probably don't remember me but a while ago I asked if it would be okay if I volunteered to moderate you guys, well I got one good response which was good enough for me so I put my name down for the job. Fast forward like 2 months and now I've got the position.

I'll help out with keeping the place organised and stuff :)

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
How can I beat Captain Falcon with Link? It seems like he's just designed to annihilate me. What are some good strategies?
u have to use ur arrows, rangs and bombs to slow him down to ur speed. he does combo link extremely well and a dthrow knee can happen at any percent. combo'ing him is the same as with spacies so use ur nair for ur approach and always make sure to change up ur techs cuz falcon loves to tech chase link

skler u been up in any tourney's lately?

cjugs

Smash Ace
Oh i forgot he asked that questions,
I hate the matchup if the falcons good he's going to up throw alot so DI away best you can. DI knees up and away at low percents(to avoid being double kneed) at high percents DI up and towards the stage to live.
Btw it's alot easier for us to help you if you can tell us what is happening to you it's hard for us to say anything to you when all you say is how do i play there's no way we can answer that we can only say how to beat certain things.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I just get shield pressured a lot and then once I get uthrown at mid percents it's like uairx3 -> knee and that's a stock.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
I want to reiterate how much i love this thread.

Now, i'm sure if links took the time to learn powershield like the rest of us...
Also high hop boomberang thrown downward is a good way to slow down lasers. (if you time the jump)

cjugs

Smash Ace
Powershielding lassers is not a good idea in my opinion and i never see it work for anyone with any character.
Hm never tried that i'll give it a shot, i mostly like to DJ fair i like it i think it works.

Skler

Smash Master
PSing is too unreliable to make it really worth the effort. It doesn't help that Link is one of the hardest characters to PS falco lasers with due to his shield.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
It is worth the effort if you want an option.
Work hard for the character we're dedicated to??
If we have no options, make one?????

But DJ moves are good, but i'm too afraid i guess...
If the laser connects through my DJ nair/fair... and they gimp me... i blame you!

cjugs

Smash Ace
Skler i'm having a horrible time with fox.
He just does everything better than me and i can't hardly combo him at all or land any grabs. The biggest problem is landing the first shot i'm always in my shield he is constantly on the offensive because i'm way to slow to do anything. The only reason i win is because of the edguard gimps other than that i lose.

cjugs

Smash Ace
i've come to terms that he's got the upper hand, or hands and feet. But i should be able to combo him somhow my best ones get like 3 hits.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
we have a tourney up here in MI this up coming month. so hopefully i can get some vids uploaded and you guys can tell me all the **** im doing wrong. I've realized that since I know what combos to do to each character, I try to force them onto my opponent, if I simply relax and let them slip into the trap themselves, it's be pie

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
I think the key in this matchup is to not get yourself caught in your shield in the first place.

Personally, I like using many Nairs (to rejumped Nairs) since it helps slowing Fox down and eventually land a grab or DSmash. Jabs are also good at stopping approaches, Uair is also good against "aerial" approaches and can lead to combos.
I believe Dash Attack an Dsmash are the best moves to juggle Fox at lowish percentages (< 35), DashAttack is really fast and can catch the Fox off while he trys to DI to the sides (after a Dsmash f.ex.) .
Then you can start adding Utilt and Uair for aerial juggles.

At least, that's how I proceed...

By the way, which one of these moves is faster? Nair OoS or Up-B OoS? I still can't quite figure out which of these is the fastest, even with all the frame data I've gotten lately. I still believe Nair is the faster move since the hitbox comes out a few frames first but meh... someone please enlighten me ^^"

Skler

Smash Master
You can't really combo Fox well at low percents. The best you can do is get him with a nair or something and try to go into grabs. Link's launchers just don't start working until around 30%.

As far as actually playing against him goes, try not to shield too often. He ***** your shield badly, the nair and jabs are your shield for this matchup.

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
Ah yes, I just realized that I actually wrote my post with the opponent's %s being arround 35 in mind instead of below...

So yeah, I agree with Skler I guess lol

Oh and thx for the frame info btw, cjugs ^^
I guess I should really restudy that YT video haha

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Yeah fox at low percents can be really annoying. I wish he didn't have that freaking reflector. Projectiles could be the easy solution for racking up damage.

Skler

Smash Master
If Fox is reflecting your projectiles you're lucky. Approach him with a bomb and lol as you get either a free grab or dsmash. He should be hitting you with his amazing projectile or using your lag to approach and begin beating the ever-loving crap out of you. My main issue with Fox is the projectiles are nullified by him being super fast and having almost all his attacks laugh at the boomerang.

Fortunately bombs are something nobody has a good counter measure for, so if you have a bomb you still have control of the match. Some Fox players will approach and shine to try and reflect the bomb back, but it's an easy catch or dodge and he gets stunned for almost a full second.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Oooh, a Link discussion thread. Puuuuuurdy. :lick:
the MAN himself lol

ight all 3 of the animals are still quite a lil nuisance to me as well. fox and falcon's speed is rediculous, cuz with their speed, they can punish you greatly if ur pullnig bombs from a ground standpoint. i always try to go aerial to kill a lil lag wit the bombs. i love using the bow on the recovery tho. i have a fox that loves to run moonwalk and waveslide to grab the ledge and ive been able to slow him down quite sum wit the arrow on the ledge or just in front of it. which help, cuz they have to attack thru the lag of the aerial wen u come up from the ledge.

anyone have mario advice though? my boy says that he thinks it favors links, but we all know it doesnt cuz link doesnt combo and all mario has to do is fair-jab-jab-grab-dthrow-utilt-utilt-uair-uair-fsmash

cjugs

Smash Ace
you always get ***** by mario you always ask why don't you post some vids of you guys playing because i can't give nemore advice and honestly you have more mario xp then alot of people is this the same one from MG?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So guys, soon you'll see a lot of the current stickies we have being un-stickied.

There will be a new sticky which will serve as the Directory / Q&A / FAQs / Got Suggestions? thread.

I'll need your help with the FAQ since I'm not sure what questions get asked a lot here. I'll also need your help with the Directory, if you find any important threads that I've missed just link it in there once it's up.

There's also this cool thing I can do where I can make someone an owner of a thread that was owned previously by a different owner. I would like someone to volunteer to take over the video thread. Last time it was updated was 2008 :o

Last question! Does anyone want a title change to this general discussion thread right here?

If you have any concerns with what I'm doing just let me know.

cjugs

Smash Ace
i like the name but it should say ask your question here i think, i don't want to run the video thread. i think there should be a link edguarding thread mine sucked and a link techasing thread and a link matchup thread which we can just take stuff from sklers thread for that or people could actually go read his thread.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Alright if this is the Q&A, then where should the social thread be? Create a new one? Thanks for your feedback as always Cjugs you're the best.

Top Bottom