• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
so all you do is DI up? iight ill check it out at the smashfest tonight. i was at one last month and i got caught in a chaingrab by ICs and like u said, i DI'd away and kept gettn caught. so ill try up tonight

PEEF!

Smash Hero
so all you do is DI up? iight ill check it out at the smashfest tonight. i was at one last month and i got caught in a chaingrab by ICs and like u said, i DI'd away and kept gettn caught. so ill try up tonight
You'll have to mix up DI up and DI away for the sopo chaingrab.

Skler

Smash Master
You get usmashed out of the sopo CG.

It's pretty straight.

Straight like Peef's avatar.

Edit: Seriously, who drew that? It's awesome.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Yeah if sopo guesses your DI in/up, he can usmash or fsmash, and if you DI away he can run or WD>dsmash.

IDK who made it but it rocks.

cjugs

Smash Ace
On IC chaingrabs.

Dthrow Dair does not work, neither does Dthrow reverse dair. With no DI it works, but Link can DI out.

Sopo dthrow CG is weird. Just like ganon's chaingrab on spacies, it is possible but it requires prediction, and link can DI up and jump out around like 50 or something. But if Link DI's away, the chaingrab works until like 120, so just stop DIing away every time. They can run and grab your foot that flips up as he is falling in hitstun.
Get ready for the ITOLD U SO!!!! DI away andd jump i think. sopo CG is hard so they will prolly mess up if you just DI hard away first time. PEEF's avatar is the only enjoyment i'll ever get out of those stupid climbers,

Skler

Smash Master
I've never seen a Sopo screw up that CG when he's actually trying to CG. You either stand still and grab, turn around and grab (both those options have MASSIVE windows for you to snag Link in) or run forward and grab (the only remotely difficult one), I don't think it's even very frame intensive like the very start of Shiek's CG. You can DD grab Link anyways (right?) so you might as well dash forward every single time if you're an IC player.

This is coming from experience getting CGed by an IC player who doesn't actually play ICs or practice CGing. It's just silly easy to do until Link can escape. Then you have to guess a little bit, but getting a dsmash off on Link while he's in the air and trying to DJ is generally a kill once you've hit 50. Using DI away to escape is very scary against that CG.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I've never seen a Sopo screw up that CG when he's actually trying to CG. You either stand still and grab, turn around and grab (both those options have MASSIVE windows for you to snag Link in) or run forward and grab (the only remotely difficult one), I don't think it's even very frame intensive like the very start of Shiek's CG. You can DD grab Link anyways (right?) so you might as well dash forward every single time if you're an IC player.

This is coming from experience getting CGed by an IC player who doesn't actually play ICs or practice CGing. It's just silly easy to do until Link can escape. Then you have to guess a little bit, but getting a dsmash off on Link while he's in the air and trying to DJ is generally a kill once you've hit 50. Using DI away to escape is very scary against that CG.
=/

I'm really good at chaingrabs...

There are a couple misconceptions about this CG. You can't run forward every time, that is something that we try and it doesn't work, even vs the easier Sopo CG characters like Sheik.

This Sopo CG is harder than Pika, Sheik, and Roy. The away and slightly down DI is mad hard to regrab.

My sheik CG's link 0-90 like, every single time. That is super easy, I don't see how in a million years it could be harder.

It is a general understanding on the IC boards that Link is largely un-chaingrabbable. I'd like to see videos of some IC random doing long sopo CGs on you when you mix up DI.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Not to metion that the CG sends link pretty far away kinda like if falcon CGed link so plats and going offstage interupt so it's not all that dumb.

Skler

Smash Master
The Sheik CG actually has to be frame perfect at 0, either that or there's a 1-2 frame window to dash. It's tough to get harder than that.

You don't want to DI offstage against the IC CG. Dsmash will kill you alllllll the time. I stopped DIing offstage when getting CGed, it causes lots of trouble. I just ban FD against the CG characters, it's not a very good Link stage anyways.

cjugs

Smash Ace
The Sheik CG actually has to be frame perfect at 0, either that or there's a 1-2 frame window to dash. It's tough to get harder than that.

You don't want to DI offstage against the IC CG. Dsmash will kill you alllllll the time. I stopped DIing offstage when getting CGed, it causes lots of trouble. I just ban FD against the CG characters, it's not a very good Link stage anyways.
I disagree i like it against all chars that arent' CGers or fox-falco falcon but other than that i like it for link's recovery grapple or bomb jumps good projectile stage why's it bad, because he is so slow?
What are methods that you have found for getting out of CG's

Skler

Smash Master
FD is only good against Peach and even then battlefield is better. It's also ok against puff and any character you can camp to death, but other stages are better for those MUs anyways.

cjugs

Smash Ace
i agree, goin off the stage is dangerous against any1 with a strong knock back on the fsmash or fair. but i do like FD against marth too cuz hes easier to combo on that stage, but then again with low platforms it easier to sneak a dair into the mix

wat do u think of this link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPPrue2rVss
He's ok he doesn't reall throw alot of rangs or WD but definetly not bad, the falcon on the otherhand was not good or at least wasn't playing well. But they were just friendlies so idk.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
He's ok he doesn't reall throw alot of rangs or WD but definetly not bad, the falcon on the otherhand was not good or at least wasn't playing well. But they were just friendlies so idk.
well he doesnt rlly main link either, but hes been able to beat a lot of the top players in our state with link. hes the best link we have, but mains falcon (who is good enough to beat kels). i will agree that the falcon didnt play nearly as well as he did against me. but the link, it weird cuz he doesnt rely on projectiles much, but consistantly wins. idk if its cuz hes just that good or wat

cjugs

Smash Ace
Projectile spamming doesn't equal win espcially against falcon he so fast he can squeeze in a grab while you are in lag from throwing or about to throw something ect. kels is not going to come close to losing to a link he's real good at that matchup beating blaze and hdl. Bigy looks like he has game skill and maining falcon gives me a slight edge because he knows what he finds awkward when he plays against link then probably uses that to his advantage when he plays as link if that makes any sense. I don't relle like the way he edguards and i'm curious about the upthrow fair's when they could have been dthrow up's never seen that before i'll try it and see if i like it.

He's got good DI also to keep him from being comboed but like i said the falcon hardly comboed or upthrow kneed in the face top players in your state care to name a few?

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
So I didn't want to bump the Skler Guide thread but I was wondering when that update was coming.

I was hoping when I starting coming back on the boards it would be there. :[[

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
ya i've never seen uthrow fair work bfo, dunno if it was bad di or wat. and that falcon had deff dthrow knee'd me a few times as well as dtilt, nair fair

sum of our tops now that im out and around a little more are prolly Bigy(falcon), Velynn(jiggz), Duck(samus), Moose(falco) and Shady(falcon)

cjugs

Smash Ace
ya i've never seen uthrow fair work bfo, dunno if it was bad di or wat. and that falcon had deff dthrow knee'd me a few times as well as dtilt, nair fair

sum of our tops now that im out and around a little more are prolly Bigy(falcon), Velynn(jiggz), Duck(samus), Moose(falco) and Shady(falcon)
Link is not completely unviable against those kind of chars ESPCIALLY when you play someone who has never really played a link before, fox sheik are more along the lines of making link look like a sissy.
i was unaware that there was a updated link guide.

Skler

Smash Master
So I didn't want to bump the Skler Guide thread but I was wondering when that update was coming.

I was hoping when I starting coming back on the boards it would be there. :[[
I totally have that on my laptop, thanks for reminding me! I'll put it up this weekend because I'm in "let's go back to school" mode right now.

Pi

Smash Hero
When you slide off a platform/edge with your UB, and let's say you don't grab, you're just falling, does that UB have the ground UB knockback or the air one?

I was thinkin it'd be pretty sick to gimp somebody by sliding off the edge and not grabbing, just hitting them with your descending UB

Skler

Smash Master
If your SKRAAA! is in the air when it hits them it counts as the aerial SKRAAA!, if you hit them just before you enter the air you'll get a solid grounded SKRAAA!

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering about Peaches Turnips vs Link's Bombs or Rang. Do they just collide against each other or what happens?

I can't test it out atm.

Skler

Smash Master
Rang = Peach's turnip bounces up into the air and the rang returns to Link. Both turnip and boomerang are still active projectiles.

Bomb = Turnip sent into the air (or knocked backwards?) and bomb explodes depending on whether the turnip was dropped or thrown (if dropped the bomb may just lose momentum or pass through, I forget which).

cjugs

Smash Ace
I think if the turnip hits the fuse nothing happens but idk i'll check later. i can't now becaus i'm in English and i just got out of Geometry and have to much blinded fury to think about anything else. I need a stress device suggestions?

cjugs

Smash Ace
When you slide off a platform/edge with your UB, and let's say you don't grab, you're just falling, does that UB have the ground UB knockback or the air one?

I was thinkin it'd be pretty sick to gimp somebody by sliding off the edge and not grabbing, just hitting them with your descending UB
Yeah it's to bad that this doesn't work or else it would be cool and make link edguarding easier but to bad this doesn't work.

cjugs

Smash Ace
If timed perfectly can link up oos or WD to get away from falcon knee to jab? I could figure it out if i knew how many frames it took for link to come out of hitstun but i dunno how much it does?.
Falcons knee comes out in 14 frames 9 frames of landing lag and then a jab that comes out in 3 but yet i always see a link in shield pressure from this. But his upb comes out in 8 frames can't he just upb out?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
cj you arent taking into account the fact that the knee has unbelievable sheildstun.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Id think that you could probably up-b. However there is no way you can WD out without getting kneed.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Id think that you could probably up-b. However there is no way you can WD out without getting kneed.
Yeah i've found that a 7 frame jump with 10 frames of lag and adding that link's WD isn't that fast i've caught a car battery to the nose every time i triend WDing
upb is in 8 frames and i can do it it's kinda hard though and it seems like it's immediately after the jab his grab is to slow oos also.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
anyone have any new videos? i blew a tire the night before that tourney i was goin to, so i wasnt able to get any. but ive gotten better at my falcon match-up, but moose's falco just too much for me right now. granite he's a lot more exp'd then me, but im sure it's jus minor things i need to work on

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
luigi is an awkward character to use n play. my teammate is a mario main, but is havin problems against marth's on teams, so im havin him use his luigi for that match-up. but even my buddy who mains wit falco (who taught me how to play) was giving it to me last week wit falco. i use to be able to beat him almost every match so idk if its cuz hes stepping his game up or cuz i was playin pourly that night. we'll be playin tonight so ill see how i do n ima try n see if i cant upload my vids onto my boy's laptop

cjugs

Smash Ace
luigi is an awkward character to use n play. my teammate is a mario main, but is havin problems against marth's on teams, so im havin him use his luigi for that match-up. but even my buddy who mains wit falco (who taught me how to play) was giving it to me last week wit falco. i use to be able to beat him almost every match so idk if its cuz hes stepping his game up or cuz i was playin pourly that night. we'll be playin tonight so ill see how i do n ima try n see if i cant upload my vids onto my boy's laptop
unless you are simply desstroying him as in like 3 or 4 stocks you should never think oh well i'm winning i must be better. People play friendlies just to play and either see what works what doesn't or what doesn't. If you want to find out who is better tell him to try and demalish you and see what happens or play in touny. Why would you have him to against a marth with a weegee that's the worssst matchup.

huMps

Smash Ace
is there anything productive you can do out of grab against gannon. he's so easy to grab but I cant get anything significant out of it. ahhhhh

Skler

Smash Master
is there anything productive you can do out of grab against gannon. he's so easy to grab but I cant get anything significant out of it. ahhhhh
Uthrow puts him into a bad position and dthrowing can either force a tech or give you a chance to shieldgrab the bair he will inevitably throw out of he tries to DJ before hitting the ground. I'm not sure if dthrow utilt starts working until about 30 or 40%.

You can always fthrow -> get smacked by whatever move he chooses. Link's fthrow is terribad.

Top Bottom