• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

London 'Out of Con'Trolls' Tournament - 14th January MELEE + BRAWL

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I think you should consider Plinci for one of those low seeds, he's better than me and plays melee only, and considering my matches in the London con were actually quite close vs the top seeds of the pool I think he should have it.

I dunno yet if I'll enter but I'm a random at that game lol.
It's kind of hard to seed people just on words though and no video footage of the person, we will look out for him on the day but because we don't really know anything about him we can't really replace him with anyone.

We will look out for him on the day though and try to make pools as fair as possible.

seeding seems alright. Not sure about Tamoo and I think Yeniths should be a low seed and maybe LJ if he's coming
So you think Yeniths in replacement of Tamoo?
Cos I don't really think that sounds right, no offence to Yeniths cos he knows I love him lol <3

And who would you move in replace of LJ, it's all good saying you feel someone should be put in the list, but to bring that up you got to say who you feel should be moved in replacement of that person.

L-J

Smash Ace
Question: if both finalists of the amateur bracket make it into the main bracket, will they be playing for anything except pride of winning amateurs and, if not, is it worth playing it out?

And thanks Ben. Honestly I feel like I should be seeded too but making a convincing argument for it is hard for reasons Prof has already stated. For example imo I'm better than Tristan BUT I have like no evidence for that lol. He's gone to recent tournaments and placed decently and beaten good players, while I haven't even attended for months, plus Jack tells me he's stepped it up a lot recently. So I dunno, when there's so many players close in skill it's hard to decide these things. Opinions will always come into it most as JJL already said.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Question: if both finalists of the amateur bracket make it into the main bracket, will they be playing for anything except pride of winning amateurs and, if not, is it worth playing it out?

And thanks Ben. Honestly I feel like I should be seeded too but making a convincing argument for it is hard for reasons Prof has already stated. For example imo I'm better than Tristan BUT I have like no evidence for that lol. He's gone to recent tournaments and placed decently and beaten good players, while I haven't even attended for months, plus Jack tells me he's stepped it up a lot recently. So I dunno, when there's so many players close in skill it's hard to decide these things. Opinions will always come into it most as JJL already said.
The finalist will be playing going into the bracket playinh Lower Ranked Top Seed which is sort of minor lol
But it's still the pride factor and having an official winner of the Amateur Bracket just for the hype.

It's definitely worth it as it's only one set as it's Single Elim

leffen

Smash Champion
As for top seeds I think its more important to ensure that I don't have IVP and Pepito and that they don't face etc rather than making sure that everyone is perfectly seeded.

I don't really see how you can put Pepito under Fuzzyness however, considering how he has placed over him at both BEASTs (armadaandicejohns), how did you think about that choice?

I don't really care who I have to face on my way to victory as long as I don't knock out too many swedes early ;)

btw, pepito and me should be top seeded in brawl (top 8? dunno whos coming)

Tamoo

Smash Master
Wow I miss one tournament and I might not even get seeded? I'm pretty sure I placed the same as unreal at my most recent tournament losing in last game last stock to DG :/ ah well don't give too many ****s anymore, I'll just **** :)

I just wanna be in a swedes pool, and smakis <3

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
As for top seeds I think its more important to ensure that I don't have IVP and Pepito and that they don't face etc rather than making sure that everyone is perfectly seeded.

I don't really see how you can put Pepito under Fuzzyness however, considering how he has placed over him at both BEASTs (armadaandicejohns), how did you think about that choice?

I don't really care who I have to face on my way to victory as long as I don't knock out too many swedes early ;)

btw, pepito and me should be top seeded in brawl (top 8? dunno whos coming)
LOL Im trying to sort out everything fairly and your 1st point isn't being discussed because it's already sorted out :)
On TIO there's the option to 'Seperate by location' so people from the same areas don't play each other, so you won't need to worry about that as we don't want people playing people they play often cos that's just causes for a less hype tournament.
And we will just manually move something if it doens't look right

Im actually not sorting out the Brawl as I have don't have much knowledge on the Brawl scene to conduct a seeding list but I will tell Anaky and Calzorz about you.

And I will speak to Fuzzy about the Pepito situation.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Wow I miss one tournament and I might not even get seeded? I'm pretty sure I placed the same as unreal at my most recent tournament losing in last game last stock to DG :/ ah well don't give too many ****s anymore, I'll just **** :)

I just wanna be in a swedes pool, and smakis <3
you've missed more than one tournament and have been inactive for quite a while. Don't get so angry. I'm not picking on you, I'm trying to help with seeds

Tamoo

Smash Master
Only tournament I've missed is the gaming con one I'm pretty sure :/ I'm not getting angry lol don't worry I only play for fun anymore, I'll probs just go fox this tournament anyway unless I get to play swedes

Also I'm not inactive, I'm playing with the bham players. Not in london anymore =/= inactive fyi

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
swizzy should be above me, he's a more consistent player and has comparable results.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
L-J - I used to have this argument constantly with people about who deserves seeding and I can understand why its a source of frustration.

You ought not to worry though. Because the skill level is so tight, being seeded won't even give you a big advantage. You will be placed with someone of similar placing history/skill regardless of whether you are seeded or not, and you'll just have to beat them either way. So don't sweat it too much. Just prove people wrong.

With the amateur bracket you will also have a good safety net.

Besides, above all people just have to worry about getting me in their pool :seuss:

Also, Pro- remember to seed Josh and Yujie accordingly too. They are both mad good, loads of potential, and will easily slot into the dubious mid-high-low-maybe tier of UK players.

gm jack

Smash Lord
X1-12 has stepped it up, but imo, LJ is a lot better. That might just be personal opinions with LJ ****** me unless he plays bad, and going even with x1-12.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Wait, how are you making a 32-man bracket from 10 pools?
There will be 10 top-seeds from those pools, how will you evenly distribute these so that they all meet in the same round? Or can you just say that "these top-seeds are worse than these top-seeds"?
And the same has to be done for the 10 2nd-seeds and 10 3rd-seeds, plus the two additional players.

edit:
And WTF at me being seeded as top10. I barely make it into a 32-man bracket in Sweden. Not that I'm complaining though... =)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I think PPros seeding of me seems about right.

10 pools is curious for a 32 man bracket. How many people are we expecting? 100? Pools of 10 will be grueling. My experience is that pools of 6 people with top 3 or so making it out is a good way to cut the field and give people a fighting chance.

As far as streaming, I'm very excited to stream this tourney. I will get us many many viewers and all that. We just need to do our very best to promote on smashboards.

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
There will be 10 top-seeds from those pools, how will you evenly distribute these so that they all meet in the same round? Or can you just say that "these top-seeds are worse than these top-seeds"?
And the same has to be done for the 10 2nd-seeds and 10 3rd-seeds, plus the two additional players.

edit:
And WTF at me being seeded as top10. I barely make it into a 32-man bracket in Sweden. Not that I'm complaining though... =)
30 people make it through from pools. Then after pools amateur bracket starts with single elimination and top 2 from amateur bracket get a place in the main bracket making 32 people

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
My experience is that pools of 6 people with top 3 or so making it out is a good way to cut the field and give people a fighting chance.
But with top3 the bracket will be 24 or 48.

30 people make it through from pools. Then after pools amateur bracket starts with single elimination and top 2 from amateur bracket get a place in the main bracket making 32 people
Did you read past my first sentence?

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
What AJP means is that the bracket has no even seeds. 10 seed 1, 10 seed 2, and apparently 12 seed 3. I'm guessing 10 seed 3 play against 10 seed 1, then the 10 seed 2 and 2 seed 3 that are left are paired randomly or arbitrarily, but an explanation would be interesting.

cong

Smash Journeyman
Ramin has played a few of the people that are coming, so me and him will sort out the Brawl seeds, i know Peptio is a good player.

And this is Anaky on scrubby Cong's account.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Ramin has played a few of the people that are coming, so me and him will sort out the Brawl seeds, i know Peptio is a good player.

And this is Anaky on scrubby Cong's account.

Ramin is coming? How I am supposed to win then lol.

and yes Pepito is good.

and send me the replays >.<

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
That's why we have done a 4-6-10 seeding. Top 3 qualifying out of 10 pools will give us 30 people. I understand we could do 12 pools with top 4 qualifying creating a 48 man bracket but that's cutting it for time and the amateur bracket wouldn't work

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
That's why we have done a 4-6-10 seeding. Top 3 qualifying out of 10 pools will give us 30 people. I understand we could do 12 pools with top 4 qualifying creating a 48 man bracket but that's cutting it for time and the amateur bracket wouldn't work
That still doesn't explain how you get 16 first-seeds. In fact, that makes it even more complicated, as that proves that you have only specified the top4, top10 and top20. You need a top8 and top16 somewhere.
With 10 first-seeds, in the 2rd round 4 of these will have to play against each other. Who are these unlucky 4?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
ajp, things like that can be fudged around without too big of a worry.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
It will run fine, but I don't see the harm in discussing seeding/pools to improve it.

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
That didn't really answer AJP's concerns at all.

Try running your seeding plan through Tio and you'll see what his query is about.
This. Try a test run and you'll see what he's talking about.
*sigh* for the longest time me and prof have been saying if you feel it should be altered state how. Its all well and good saying "thats not gonna work" or whatever but if you can demonstrate how it's not gonna work that would be better for me.

LGC was fine and its similar to how were running ours, There were 6 pools and top 2 get out of pools giving 12 people, 4 byes which were given to prof, fuzzy, VA and Jolteon therefore 2 people who placed 1st in their pools did not get a bye it was just given to who we know are the top players in general.

maybe that still doesnt answer your question but its a general outline

but anyway i do understand what youre all saying, but if we did do 8-8-8-8 that would separate the seeds easier but then we'll have no amateur bracket, we're trying to use the amateur bracket to gain more interest and a fair chance in the community for players to play more games.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
I said why it wouldn't work, but of course if you know and can beforehand say that "top seeds from these 4 pools aren't really 1st seeds but '1.5th' seeds", then it will work =).

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
yeah thats basically how we're doing it. it is going to be slightly bias. more so based on skill not JUST tournament results. reason why retroking is seeded, because we generally know he is good at the game even though he hasnt been to a tournament in ages.

Top Bottom