• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looks Like Bananas Are Back

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Sakurai stated that tripping would be gone, but apparently this doesn't apply to Diddy Kong's forced banana tripping.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, bananas are back and it´s awesome they are!

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
We had so many tripping pics scaring us that random tripping is back. Guess we know who the culprit is now...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Who will fall for the banana peels this time? I will say this though, it'll be very odd to see someone like Mewtwo tripping.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I think Sakurai meant random tripping was going, not banana peels.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Who will fall for the banana peels this time? I will say this though, it'll be very odd to see someone like Mewtwo tripping.
Seeing Mewtwo trip will be weird yeah. Still, it´s not impossible.

All I know is that I like that Diddy seems to be at least competitively viable again.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
He's close to top-tier. What do you mean by "competetively viable"?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Considering Meta Knight's brokenness, "close to top tier" is still like light years away.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Considering Meta Knight's brokenness, "close to top tier" is still like light years away.
Actuallly the gap between MK and Diddy is not that far apart. Sakurai stated in an interview that he intentionally made MK able to destroy everyone, and it worked on everyone but Diddy. Why? BANANAS. Diddy has an extremely difficult to perform infinite (popularized by Zinoto). Diddy's ground game is practically better than everyone else's, because of the immense stage control that two bananas give. So "light years away" is an extreme exaggeration.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
MK defines Brawl's Meta, and Diddy is the closest thing to a counter for MK there is in the game... if MK didn't exist his tier position would likely be lower... though to be fair he is well balanced against pretty much everyone.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
when sakurai stated that tripping would not return, i knew he was talking about random tripping. cuz that was the aspect everyone hated. it makes sense for forced tripping to return because something specific caused the tripping. just randomly walking around and tripping does not make sense.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Oh God the useless banana toss move is back. RUINED FOREVER!
Also doesn't Project M still have the banana item? I figure you can see Mewtwo tripping there. I haven't tried it myself.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm pretty sure by tripping Sakurai meant random tripping. I never expected tripping from Banana Peels (and possibly selected down tilts) to be removed.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Actuallly the gap between MK and Diddy is not that far apart. Sakurai stated in an interview that he intentionally made MK able to destroy everyone, and it worked on everyone but Diddy. Why? BANANAS. Diddy has an extremely difficult to perform infinite (popularized by Zinoto). Diddy's ground game is practically better than everyone else's, because of the immense stage control that two bananas give. So "light years away" is an extreme exaggeration.
Hold on slow up. When did Sakurai say this in an interview??

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No it isn't.

First of all, Diddy isn't 2nd place on the Tier List. Ice Climbers are. Formerly, Olimar was higher than Diddy to.

They even arranged it so that MetaKnight was SSS Tier, Ice Climbers was SS Tier, and all other Top Tiers (Diddy, Olimar, Falco, Marth, Snake) where S Tier.

Diddy has balanced match ups all over the cast. He goes even against the likes of Mario and Ike, but beats more 'important' characters, as Lucario, Pikachu, Zero Suit Samus and King Dedede. Diddy doesn't outrightly destroy any characters, aside from the Hyrule Tier. MetaKnight however, destroys anyone, and goes +1 against all characters outside of Pikachu. Diddy is arguely 55-45, which is STILL in Diddy's disadvantage.

Sure, Diddy is good, but he's a balanced Top Tier. Without Brawl mechanics, Diddy could potentially suffer greatly. He has quite some character flaws that keep him from being MetaKnight, he's easy to combo, can be rather easily gimped, and can have some problems landing a killing blow.

Bananas being back is not the end of the world.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Hold on slow up. When did Sakurai say this in an interview??
http://smashboards.com/threads/should-diddy-kong-be-banned-from-competitive-brawl.300668/

Skip to Pro Ban, Reason 7.

No it isn't.

First of all, Diddy isn't 2nd place on the Tier List. Ice Climbers are. Formerly, Olimar was higher than Diddy to.

They even arranged it so that MetaKnight was SSS Tier, Ice Climbers was SS Tier, and all other Top Tiers (Diddy, Olimar, Falco, Marth, Snake) where S Tier.

Diddy has balanced match ups all over the cast. He goes even against the likes of Mario and Ike, but beats more 'important' characters, as Lucario, Pikachu, Zero Suit Samus and King Dedede. Diddy doesn't outrightly destroy any characters, aside from the Hyrule Tier. MetaKnight however, destroys anyone, and goes +1 against all characters outside of Pikachu. Diddy is arguely 55-45, which is STILL in Diddy's disadvantage.

Sure, Diddy is good, but he's a balanced Top Tier. Without Brawl mechanics, Diddy could potentially suffer greatly. He has quite some character flaws that keep him from being MetaKnight, he's easy to combo, can be rather easily gimped, and can have some problems landing a killing blow.

Bananas being back is not the end of the world.
No, bananas being back isn't the end of the world. One banana is quite manageable. 2 bananas? Even the best MKs will struggle vs a Diddy with two bananas.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
That seriously seems fake to me. That's just words written down and not from any news source, interviewer source; just words on a forum. Every source even says Sakurai has the final say no matter what. With how things are going he seems to really think out of the box. The one thing in that "interview" that sounds right and abotu Sonic being forced on at the end. But getting revenge by making one character OP? And why meta knight? wouldn't he want his child: Kirby to be the OP one? If I were in his shoes I would've made Kirby, MK, and DDD too good. Considering his voice is used for DDD it would've made more sense to make him too good.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Getting 2 bananas out doesn't guarntee a win for Diddy. Especially not against MK who has quite amazing banana play himself. Don't forget, Diddy's bananas can be used against him. That's quite unlike Olimar's Pikmin.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I was wondering if they would change his Down Special when Sakurai said there would be no tripping. I don't mind forced tripping though, glad they kept his Down Special.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DKC Returns offered a good replacement oppertunity for the Bananas, but Sakurai didn't choose to use it. Which I'm glad about, cause it could be very similar to DK's Down B and I don't want people saying Diddy is a DK clone now. :rolleyes: It's funny to see how much Retro took from Brawl to Diddy's design and gameplay by giving him the Rocketbarrel and a solo Peanut Popgun, both which Diddy never used in a platforming DKC, only DK64 (and duo Peanut Popguns) as well as him literally using the Forward Aerial against a Tiki when breaking out of DK's house - but Sakurai choose to simply keep Diddy as he was in Brawl, not looking at Returns at all. Am thankful for that, cause Sakurai stays more close to Diddy's Rare design.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I was actually pretty worried about Diddy having a different down-b (this was before he was even announced) since tripping was officially removed, and I'm glad he's still got his special intact (for the most part).
I was terribly disappointed by Brawl's gameplay and balance and I'm worried Sakurai won't do an actual good job on that issue this time, but at the same time I still hope everyone is viable and that Diddy's peels aren't as ridiculous as they are in Brawl.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
That seriously seems fake to me. That's just words written down and not from any news source, interviewer source; just words on a forum. Every source even says Sakurai has the final say no matter what. With how things are going he seems to really think out of the box. The one thing in that "interview" that sounds right and abotu Sonic being forced on at the end. But getting revenge by making one character OP? And why meta knight? wouldn't he want his child: Kirby to be the OP one? If I were in his shoes I would've made Kirby, MK, and DDD too good. Considering his voice is used for DDD it would've made more sense to make him too good.
Definitely fake, no source and some of the statements contradict what Sakurai has said in other interviews. But someone mentioned that this was an April's Fools anyways...

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I was actually pretty worried about Diddy having a different down-b (this was before he was even announced) since tripping was officially removed, and I'm glad he's still got his special intact (for the most part).
I was terribly disappointed by Brawl's gameplay and balance and I'm worried Sakurai won't do an actual good job on that issue this time, but at the same time I still hope everyone is viable and that Diddy's peels aren't as ridiculous as they are in Brawl.
No need to worry about the balancing issues, Namco Bandai is taking care of that, Sakurai is just revealing the content and whatnot (although he has the final say on the characters), and it seems Diddy is going to be very high on the tier lists (even if his bananas get nerfed a bit, his range on his attacks is a lot better than it was in Brawl).

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
ugh i hope this is just the item, that banana move was so cheap
here are my thoughts on diddy

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i dont see how items can be buffed or nerfed. especially bananas.
nerf = no tripping?
buff= instant shield breaker?

Top Bottom