• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looks Like Bananas Are Back

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
or perhaps if your running and you slip on a banana, your momentum can carry you, and you can damage people you fall into.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
What bananas actually do could be different. It could just force an instant tech chase, and not give you a free hit (?), could only have 1 out at a time (maybe?), etc.
Oh, they could also make it disappear if it hits shields, like Turnips were changed from melee to brawl.

In other words, there's a gazillion ways to change bananas.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
What bananas actually do could be different. It could just force an instant tech chase, and not give you a free hit (?), could only have 1 out at a time (maybe?), etc.
Oh, they could also make it disappear if it hits shields, like Turnips were changed from melee to brawl.

In other words, there's a gazillion ways to change bananas.
Hopefully it's one of the changes we all mentioned.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
what i hate about tripping is you cant tech them. maybe give everyone a buff and be able to tech tripping. if that were in brawl, that would have made tripping much more manageable

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't like it. It could even put the ones tripping in a sort of advantage.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I don't like it. It could even put the ones tripping in a sort of advantage.
In PM banana trips are tech-able. While players do have an easier time getting away from Diddy after tripping, they are still vulnerable to tech-chases or a dsmash in the case they tech in place.

'Nanners still work wonders even with teching. It would be a good idea to have them implemented in Smash 4, that way people facing Diddy wouldn't be entirely powerless to his banana pressure.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Even better, the bananas should now stick under the foot of the person who steps on it. This way, that person will continue tripping unless he's airborne.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I'm cool with bananas coming back, but I never really used them in Brawl and probably won't that much in SSB4. Though he was one of my mains it was a rare match when I used bananas.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah I main him in PM and I like the way bananas are implemented there. Glad to see it back, personally.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I'm cool with bananas coming back, but I never really used them in Brawl and probably won't that much in SSB4. Though he was one of my mains it was a rare match when I used bananas.
You should definitely use his bananas. Without them his moveset is mediocre but with them he is the fourth best character in Brawl.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
You should definitely use his bananas. Without them his moveset is mediocre but with them he is the fourth best character in Brawl.
I'd say that they're good for people who know how to use projectiles well, which I do not. Hence why most of my mains don't have projectiles. Without his bananas I focus more on his other moveset. I don't think the bananas are essential to be a good Diddy player, just a different kind of Diddy player. I do understand that the community shares your opinion, this is simply my own.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I'd say that they're good for people who know how to use projectiles well, which I do not. Hence why most of my mains don't have projectiles. Without his bananas I focus more on his other moveset. I don't think the bananas are essential to be a good Diddy player, just a different kind of Diddy player. I do understand that the community shares your opinion, this is simply my own.
To each his own but for you I'd suggest pulling the bananas out. Even if you don't use them they're still a hazard to opponents.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Bananas aren't exactly hard to use either, plus they're the only means of approaching with Diddy so it's BEST to actually use them.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
With respect to your opinions, I will clarify that I believe each person has their own playstyle. And perhaps what a person lacks in one department they make up for in another.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
I like the situation of them in PM. As far as the argument about using them, then it depends on the person. People say you should spam Ryu's Hadokens like Daigo does, but Grimm doesn't and they both win games. It's about how you utilize. Maybe Johnny plays more physical and doesn't need the banana's a lot. Even then doing that, you can scare the opponent into thinking "MAybe he's not using the banana's cause he underestimates me " #Mindgames

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bananas aren't exactly hard to use either, plus they're the only means of approaching with Diddy so it's BEST to actually use them.
Diddy has loads of approach options:

Side B
Side B sex kick
Dash Attack which follows up to everything
DACUS
Forward Air

And if nothing else works, grab.

The fact that Bananas are just about the best approach option doesn't mean Diddy doesn't have any approach options without them. In fact, thinking like that would really limit your potential with Diddy.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
In many situations though bananas are what you should go for, but yeah he does have options. Saying "only" was poor wording on my part.

Dunno about f-air though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Forward Air is the best aerial in Brawl.

Use it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What about Marth's Fair?
I am talking basic Brawl, I could imagine Marth's F Air in PM being on par with it, but not in Brawl.

I live in a PAL area. Bear with me. :urg:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Diddys moveset is very mediocre without bananas. I can understand that you don't wanna use them but just don't expect to win high play tournaments using diddy with no bananas.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
In Brawl yeah but there are match ups in Project M where bananas shouldn't be your priority. (Small stages vs certain characters)

Also I hope glide tossing is back. Fun ****.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I'm glad the bananas are staying. Only way for him to cause chaos arcoss the stage. I hope he can get 3 this time, because I think 2 was the limit in brawl.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Was never good with the bananas, simply because I'd always forget to use them. Still did pretty well overall usually because fair is ludicrous. I tend to forget down b moves in general for a lot of characters.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
In Brawl yeah but there are match ups in Project M where bananas shouldn't be your priority. (Small stages vs certain characters)

Also I hope glide tossing is back. Fun ****.
PM ya diddy can play bannana less but in brawl it's essential.

No bannana using diddy in brawl = bad character that won't win much in competitive play.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Doubt glide tossing will return since it was a glitch or error in brawl and was I planted as a mechanic in PM.

I could be wrong seeing as sakurai is taking a lot of idead from PM. Item gliding can return as an item mechanic.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Glide tossing was a nice feature, and it's definitely something I'd like to see return from Brawl.

Also, to the guy who said he wants the limit of bananas raised to 3, NO!!!!

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I also kinda wonder if the range for his glidetoss would be the same as it was in brawl assuming glide tossing returns

Top Bottom