• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Metagame Discussion

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
this was a flop.

TL is gay.

If I had to play jerm hyro and shadowpj all the time I wouldn't want to talk about TL either.

lol

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
TL is gay.

If I had to play jerm hyro and shadowpj all the time I wouldn't want to talk about TL either.

lol
Pretty much this...he's a TLS but that doesn't mean he likes the matchup...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nah, Trel bel and I are tight. I know he's joking...or maybe not. Hmm...

VaxtinTheWolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1977-0415-5766
I have a friend who uses Tink as a secondary. Never beat him yet but the best I even did was get him on last stock medium %'s.

Personally I hate projectile characters. Dont know what to do, and when I try everything I know of it usually fails on me. I get 2-stocked by him a lot.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
Don't get wacked by boomerangs. Thats screaming bair string. But I could see how lagless double arrow short hop boomerang pullbomb cancel to zair then throwing bomb all while retreating could get annoying. I say eat a few arrows, get your aura up bait a sidestep or air dodge and ****. And also what D. Disciple said, just throw AS's and BAS and space properly and you'll be fine.

Lol at projectiles from TL. Ohh and it its that bad, Pikmin<Toon Link.. Oli just helps alittle

Steam

Smash Hero
Only TL I've played in the last forever was MJG at supercon. I did pretty well. Took him to game 3 in pools.

Full auraspheres will definitely be better for this matchup because it beats a lot of his projectiles and evenutally it'll beat all of them except his bombs. consistant PSing and instant throwing are essential. Once you get into his Usmash kill% be sure to play safe and sit in shield if neccecary. he won't kill you with throws. It's a lot like playing falco in this regard. getting kills can be really annoying for both opponents in the MU. we both have to punish a mistake.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Something I remember is that the rear hitbox of usmash is waaaay weaker, so if you do get trapped, make sure you're crossing up on him while doing so, don't get in the front of that thing.

Also something very avoidable by now, if you haven't figured it out yet, don't challenge his uair, like EVER lol. TL uair is almost like the inverse version of Link's dair, it has a lingering hitbox that retains it's killpower for a long time, and it beats out a looooot of things, easily outranges lucario dair for one, but it's very avoidable.

bomb's are kinda useful, I find myself catching them a lot. imo grounded lucario is better for this MU because it gives lucario the access to the best tool against TL: the shield.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Learn to DI his Usmash...you'll see that as a big kill move. And if he hits with the sour spot, consider yourself lucky and don't get hit by the good part. You'll be dying mostly vertically off the top.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
If they're airdodging, expect that zair to come out. Especially when they're falling.

Fun fact - Angle your shield, when they throw a boomerang to change it's angle. So it takes awhile for them to throw another one, and if they do catch one and don't arrow cancel. They can't throw another boomerang immediately.

culexus・wau

I don't think this works if we don't chat in the irc.

or else it becomes a 2nd MU thread.

hurrrrr

I still think we should do a topic about our character next.

Maybe We should even do a skype and someone be the note taker

:O

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
Something I remember is that the rear hitbox of usmash is waaaay weaker, so if you do get trapped, make sure you're crossing up on him while doing so, don't get in the front of that thing.

Also something very avoidable by now, if you haven't figured it out yet, don't challenge his uair, like EVER lol. TL uair is almost like the inverse version of Link's dair, it has a lingering hitbox that retains it's killpower for a long time, and it beats out a looooot of things, easily outranges lucario dair for one, but it's very avoidable.

No, if you bait his Uair you CAN space dair. If you throw it out beside the blade (not right above it) it will hit him.
But you'll always know when it's coming. He has only one option when you're both in the air and your above him and that Uair.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
TL uair is almost like the inverse version of Link's dair, it has a lingering hitbox that retains it's killpower for a long time
this is half true, tink's uair sweet spots during the first 3 frames(kills early) and the lingering hit box shouldnt kill lulu till about 160 though..

No, if you bait his Uair you CAN space dair. If you throw it out beside the blade (not right above it) it will hit him.
But you'll always know when it's coming. He has only one option when you're both in the air and your above him and that Uair.
this is true

tl can also fall his uair from above and hit u with it

Pappy

Smash Apprentice
ok, so i'm on the rise as a Lucario main, and although alot of ppl have trouble vs TL and alot say TL favors Lucario, i've found him too be one of the easiest in Luc's metagame (apart from ice climbers). For one every toon link is sooooooooo predictable, second Lucario has every advantage in the air, third u can easily get out of his Fsmash if you haven't predicted it by mistake, and on ground all his damn projectiles are basically free counters to have fun with (which is very useful in high % since Luc's counter relies on his OWN dmg and not the attack) and if u get close enough that he'll be spamming his uptilt/upsmash/Dsmash/jabs/etc. its just a matter of spot-dodging following with a jab combo.

my only real problem in the metagame is snaaaake...frankly i have an easier time vs metaknight. Any good snake (specially Ally) will **** every piece of fur Lucario has. Not rly complicated as to why; priority, range, broken uptilt, early kill and lingering projectiles. i'm so bummed by this match-up that switching for Link or Sheik/Zelda gives me a better chance.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Welcome to SWF Pappy, glad you could make a contribution.

@dskank huh, it always seems capable of killing me for the longest time unless I steer clear of it.

dskank

Smash Journeyman

@dskank huh, it always seems capable of killing me for the longest time unless I steer clear of it.
uair's lingering hit box is still powerful, but it does sweetspot early, going off of what a tl friend of mine told me

D Who?

Smash Journeyman

Here is how to space your dair as lulu with Tlinks Uair

As you're falling he'll be placing the uair, say alittle off from directly above him and dair. The hit box of the aura goes out at an angle on both sides. It will get in TLs hurtbox befor the move hits lulu. I do it alot. Ask a player named G-Dub.

And at Pappy, I don't know what TL's you have played but they are defentily not predictable unless you say that bombs arrows and boomerangs with zair is predictable, and if so you would never get hit by them. And not only that, but as lucario using double team (Not counter) You will end up in a bad position because no decent TL is going to stay still to get hit by that.

DO NOT USE DT IN THIS MU

Pappy

Smash Apprentice
i've played Hells, from the montreal team, hes got the best TL in quebec. i played alot of other TL and they've all been as predictable as the last. and the double team (which is wat i call counter) trick isnt double teaming every proj he throws at you, its about countering the right one, in the right direction. wat i meant is that they throw so much u can practically double team any time you want, say when hes about to land or finishing a move. ud only get in a bad position if u double team when he can punish it.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
No no no I only use PT in Minus. I was using Lucario at that tourney.
I can't remember what the tourney was called but it was at some internet venue thingy. Swordgard hosted it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Clearly, the TL mains are timing out this discussion.

Pappy

Smash Apprentice
No no no I only use PT in Minus. I was using Lucario at that tourney.
I can't remember what the tourney was called but it was at some internet venue thingy. Swordgard hosted it.
I still don't use wiimotes, I've been to King Kong's smashfests a couple times though.

Also I agree with Flame, seems like there hasn't been much serious discussions for a while. Isn't there gonna be some Falco or Diddy talk?

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Everyone that discussed the TL match up in this thread. Where the hell were you last week?!

Alright, we're gonna need a new character to discuss this sunday guys. Who should it be?

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
i've played Hells, from the montreal team, hes got the best TL in quebec. i played alot of other TL and they've all been as predictable as the last. and the double team (which is wat i call counter) trick isnt double teaming every proj he throws at you, its about countering the right one, in the right direction. wat i meant is that they throw so much u can practically double team any time you want, say when hes about to land or finishing a move. ud only get in a bad position if u double team when he can punish it.
And you're wrong again. If they do a quick draw, double arrow to boomerang to bomb toss, you can't DT any but the last one, and depending on which way you're facing you'll get *****. No TL stays on the ground. and if CP TL to a flat stage like FD you can bet he's going to just jump above you. If you try to DT the first arrow, the boomerang will wack you
You try DT the second, bomb will wack you and if you dt the bomo, Tl will Zair you. I play with the best Tl in Florida (not saying much since there arent many TL's in fl) But he is a great TL player and if I ever though of DT a projectile he would **** me so fast my head would spin. No, you can predict and DT a fsmash. Those suck and it would work. And even a well placed DT could **** badly spaced zairs

And why are we having two MU threads? This is TL and we have a ROB going on.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
This is a metagame discussion.

You know what, scratch the character for next week.

We're going to talk on how we can improve our Lucario as a whole. We need a staple foundation for him, so everyone start knocking heads together, and be in the metagame discussion next week.

Same time as usual.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman

We're going to talk on how we can improve our Lucario as a whole. We need a staple foundation for him, so everyone start knocking heads together, and be in the metagame discussion next week.

Same time as usual.
I think that may be a much needed thing. I'll try to get in the chat.

But on the last for TL, I don't think Lucario should ever lose to TL. He can't kill us unless we give him the chance. His fastest move is 6 start-up and we can beat his Uair if we space. And we can kill him at early precents with aura boost and then if needed, just time him out. As long as you beat the TL you played the MU the right way

culexus・wau

Same time as usual.
finally

edit the OP SONS

DusK-The-Stray

Smash Ace
I'll see if I can make it to this one, I wanna get off my lazy ***, stop taking up space in the social and finally do something productive.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Dusk. SOOOOOO LAZYYYYYYY lol. And not only that, I procrastinate! Right now I'm procrastinating sleep. I think thats badd

Pappy

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Dusk. SOOOOOO LAZYYYYYYY lol. And not only that, I procrastinate! Right now I'm procrastinating sleep. I think thats badd
What a coincidence, so am I, lol. But there's a damn snowstorm out here, which is quite disturbing. Gotta stop the heavy metal music and sleeep, I need it so bad <(-.-<)zzz

Top Bottom