• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Moveset Discussion:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Well, whenever I think about it, it's a fast tilt, decent range for its purpose, and since you're almost never going to get a grab on a spacing aerial, this is your next best bet.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Utilt is really good also for using on the IASA frames of fsmash, since it will pretty much always hit someone who's rushing in if they weren't able to grab/PS (which if you're smart with fsmash, won't happen very much at all).
I think toying around with sourspotted utilts can also give some results, like maybe followups with jab or stuff like that.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Actually, I've found that even normal utilt works just fine on nearly everyone who gets to greedy to punish fsmash's "end lag", the dash animation is slow enough to allow a normal utilt to get the job done often, especially if they take to the air.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
i have serious doubts about the benefit of a pivot uptilt.

wouldnt the pivot itself take frames to perform, therefore negating any benefit gained from using it backwards?

someone test it.

Does anyone know the frame data on utilt for the front hitbox?

Buffering uptilt out of an airdodge is really good, especially if you land with them behind you.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, it seems to go away in use during mid/high, so it actually gets surprisingly fresh at high % as well, which is good for killing light chars.
Probably one of the best moves to use out of roll as a last resort if he predicts it, since it's his fastest response and you'll be facing away if the opponent has moved away to try to punish.

Timbers

check me out
a good move

Use it against aerial happy characters

never use it against grounded and readied characters

etc lol

etc etc
i have serious doubts about the benefit of a pivot uptilt.

wouldnt the pivot itself take frames to perform, therefore negating any benefit gained from using it backwards?
no it's good, abuse buffer system

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
a good move

Use it against aerial happy characters

never use it against grounded and readied characters

etc lol

etc etc

Vague enough to argue, but I'm not going to.
'Cuz I'm happy about who I am and what I am on the inside, not on the outside! I gotta be me!

ckm

Smash Journeyman
umm but even if you buffer it you can't get it out any faster than the turnaround requires. I'd love to know how many frames it takes just to turn around.

does anyone have data on that?

I swear I've asked this question 8 million times but no one ever answers me.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
dude, phil that **** will give me nightmares. is that real??

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I have no clue, but I think it's negligible if you haven't done the turnaround animation itself (where he stands and turns), hence why buffering is too good.
dude, phil that **** will give me nightmares. is that real??
I have no clue lol, you saw my pet zombie hamster, right?

ckm

Smash Journeyman
hmm, but doesn't turning uptilt around cause him to do the turning animation? or do you think its just like turning a ftilt around?

ckm

Smash Journeyman
and no, dont think i did.

sorry for double post =D

Mirachael

Smash Rookie
hmm, but doesn't turning uptilt around cause him to do the turning animation? or do you think its just like turning a ftilt around?
It doesn't. You just have to be very precise with your joystick input. It's kind of like doing an angled ftilt, but *****ier.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
I have no clue, but I think it's negligible if you haven't done the turnaround animation itself (where he stands and turns), hence why buffering is too good.

I have no clue lol, you saw my pet zombie hamster, right?
Your pet zombie hamster is loose on Deviant art lol.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Vague enough to argue, but I'm not going to.
'Cuz I'm happy about who I am and what I am on the inside, not on the outside! I gotta be me!
Take that ugly *** **** out of my beautiful thread!

Timbers

check me out
not sure on frame specifics, but the whole idea of buffering it is that your joystick can be in it's desired position to execute the move before the actual turn around, rather than turning around and THEN having the joystick in ready position.

Utilt initial hit is 5 frames, whereas the late hit (in front of him) is something like 13 frames (don't quote me on that)

There is no where close to 8 frames of turn around lag.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Buffering allows you to input a move so that it comes out as soon as possible while you are performing another move. So, if you want to roll and then utilt, you can input the command for utilt during before the end of the roll and have come it out ASAP. Therefore, you can buffer a turnaround utilt and not have to experience any turn around lag.

Heck, you can do it with utilt->utilt. Do an utilt, then do another utilt in the opposite direction and the second utilt should come out with no visible turnaround lag.

This reason is why so many people hate the game.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
I would be very surprised if this really did rely on buffering to perform--to my knowledge, buffering doesnt allow you to do anything you couldn't do otherwise, it just eliminates the need for frame-perfect timing. It sounds like (from the descriptions of the technique--i havent tested this yet) there there is literally no turnaround animation when reversing the uptilt, much like when reversing a ftilt or a b-move (forcepalm, for example).

I know this has come up before--when we were discussing turn around grabs (if I land behind someone in shield, then turn around and grab him) and I thought someone said it takes frames to turn around in addition to the landing lag/startup frames on the grab.

I just assumed this was the same case. If that isn't the case, that's really cool... but it shouldnt actually have anything to do with buffering.

Browny

Smash Hater
utilt is amazing.

IMO one of the best. the lingering hitbox can hit people who try to grab you even after his foot has swung around to the other side. Also applies to non-disjointed aerials.

everyone needs to utilt moar.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Buffering is what this game revolves around. It's the only reason why some stuff works. It's also why spotdodging with some characters is stupidly good.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Combos out of dash attack and strings nicely into nair.
Nice kill move on light characters (MK) at high percentages.
Sets up grab.
One of like 2 decent moves OoS >.>

Really, isn't all this stuff about U-tilt common knowledge?
Basically: it's fast, it's good against characters that prefer the air, and you can reverse it. >_> We already know that....

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It also can string out of uthrow on a lot of characters, usually setting up better juggle traps and more damage than with uthrow alone.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
See, I didn't post that because I thought it was even more obvious >_>
I feel like you guys are just going over stuff that we already know. It's not really moving us forward in any way.

Why not try to analyze the grab game instead. It often goes underused because of luc's stubby arms.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Wait, how do you send links of a specific time? I've always wanted to do that XD

I know we all wish the pivot grab range was that big, but Wolf F-smashed :(

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh, lol, that would make sense, although there's also one I think where Olimar gets grabbed pretty far away as well. Still, imo it brings his range up a bit more.
Anywho, the way to do it is that if you notice on the end of the link, the "#t=__m__s" is how you determine where it starts, where m = minutes and s = seconds.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Look at the end of the link and the world will make sense again.

That said I am not really sure that you can grasp the true size of the hitbox of the pivot grab from a youtube video (the real range seems to be hidden in the change in frame rate), but its certainly MUCH larger than our normal grab range.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't understand how to apply pivot grabbing to my game. It just... doesn't make sense to me :/

And I knew the m/s part, but I didn't get the #t= I thought it was a part of the video ID lol

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Naw, it stands for time.
You usually use it in crossing up, punishing spotdodge, and if you've gotten fancy, punishing and even a pseudo ooS option o.O
The last use is trivial, but essentially any character that gets the slide that marth or lucario does generally has a decent pivot grab.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Wasn't kinda well known a while ago that Lucario's pivot grab was longer. I remember making a video about it too.
Working in a pivot grab into a playstyle shouldn't be to hard. Consider it like an AT, you have to practice it and soon enough it just becomes a solid chunk of how you play cario.
-t2

Top Bottom