• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M.A.S: MASTER'S CHALLENGE FINALS! $2,000 In GUARANTEED Pot Bonuses! 10/15th-17th/2010

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Most of the Qualifiers are centralized and that is great. But to treat finals as a Major, means just like any Major, it'll involve some dedication, time put aside/planning ahead, and travel.
That's a bad reasoning for it, considering every single event but one (was the El Paso one points too?) has been in the IL/WI area. You could've just stuck with the "Venue too small, MN too nice" deal.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Jordan in a nice way I hinted towards what you said, is what I should have said, earlier in this thread.

Moozle it'll be in Bloomington. South of Minneapolis.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
if people cant make plans 5 months in advance to drive across one more state for a series finale then this community deserves to die :urg:

Wafles

Smash Lord
if people cant make plans 5 months in advance to drive across one more state for a series finale then this community deserves to die :urg:
Michigan wont be happy about it.
This doubles the length of their trip to go to a tourney that either ally or m2k is gonna win anyway (probably).
Location probably just cut attendance off by about a 1/3, or more. Is it really that hard to find a hall to book in the chicago area?

Oro?!

Smash Hero
This is a regional 2000$ pot bonus event, meant to attract everyone from around the U.S., at least I think those are Webster's intentions. Why change the venue location for 1 state, when it doesn't matter to the other 40+ that could potentially attend?

Wafles

Smash Lord
This is a regional 2000$ pot bonus event, meant to attract everyone from around the U.S., at least I think those are Webster's intentions. Why change the venue location for 1 state, when it doesn't matter to the other 40+ that could potentially attend?
Intentions aside, I haven't seen any interest from west coast or east coast (or southwest if we wanna cover everything), which makes this more accessible to North and South Dakota (...lol), and maybe Nebraska (once again, kind of lol). This benefits Minnesota, which also has a fairly small brawl community (well maybe about the size of WI), and absolutely no one else.

So while this is fine for the people who are like, 1 state over, consider Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana, Misouri, and even possibly Kansas. Basically every state that isn't Wisconsin has to travel farther to this tournament now (and this is even like, an extra hour for us), which I guarantee is going to lower attendance for people who know they wouldn't place high.

So yeah, if this was going to be a true national, Minnesota was fine, but looking at this right now, that's not how this is panning out.

tl;dr - More driving for everyone means lower attendance overall.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Is it really that hard to find a hall to book in the chicago area?
Yes it is!!!

Bingo!

Intentions aside, I haven't seen any interest from west coast or east coast (or southwest if we wanna cover everything), which makes this more accessible to North and South Dakota (...lol), and maybe Nebraska (once again, kind of lol). This benefits Minnesota, which also has a fairly small brawl community (well maybe about the size of WI), and absolutely no one else.

So while this is fine for the people who are like, 1 state over, consider Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana, Misouri, and even possibly Kansas. Basically every state that isn't Wisconsin has to travel farther to this tournament now (and this is even like, an extra hour for us), which I guarantee is going to lower attendance for people who know they wouldn't place high.

So yeah, if this was going to be a true national, Minnesota was fine, but looking at this right now, that's not how this is panning out.

tl;dr - More driving for everyone means lower attendance overall.
WI/IL (and other parts of the Midwest) Smash scene, although very loyal to me, is like the ONLY scene that has generated interest at my tournaments in that area (Winthrop Harbor). In MN that is definitely NOT the case (because more scenes support):

* MN has the largest SNK community in midwest, IL does not.

* MN has a larger 2D community than WI and rivals IL, that play more fighting games than just SF4 compared to WI.

* MN has a larger Tekken community than IL, but not bigger than WI. WI tekken player WILL travel though.

* MN does not have a Naruto scene, but Naruto players from the midwest don't mind traveling. And most Naruto players play other fighting games too (unfortunately most Smash players just play Smash).

And all that is beneficial to me and the company I work for. I need hype from all fighitng game communities NOT just Smash (which is why I bolded part of your post). Because some of you are not considering other fighting game communities. In order for this event to be successful, under our (me and the company) terms, we need ALL FIGHTING GAME COMMUNITIES TO BE PRESENT AT THIS TOURNAMENT.

We are putting A LOT of money into this event. In order to cater to all the scene's expected to be present at this event.

I posted this event SO early for the Smash community to make plans/prep ahead of time...because this is a Smash oriented major. But, just like any major/series circut (like pound, genesis, FBT, etc.), this tournament ask for a lil effort to travel. And when posted so ahead in advance, I don't understand why it's really a big deal.

I talked with both Ally and M2k and they're coming to this NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
You should really figure out if the coasts, or south, or even Canada want to go. All it takes is like 1 message/call or w/e to any big name there to start generating hype for this. You could like try to find people cheap flights, places to stay etc as well. I'm talking any community of fighters, be it Brawl, Melee, SNK, Tekken, SSF4, etc.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
That all is definitely being worked on right now...especially by Dark Geese.

But at the moment I am focusing on Power Up which is already next weekend.

Then I have a lil under 5 months to get the rest of my plans/contacts ironed out.

yoshq

Smash Master
regardless of where it is, you should list some information on hotels, because for MLG most people are getting the MLG hotel which costs $119 and there were $49 hotels 2 min away. also set up transportation from the airport to hotels if possible.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
regardless of where it is, you should list some information on hotels, because for MLG most people are getting the MLG hotel which costs $119 and there were $49 hotels 2 min away. also set up transportation from the airport to hotels if possible.
We're working on some similiar things at the moment. Thanks for the advice though.

Don't hotels have conference rooms in chicago? Pretty sure there's hundreds of hotels.
I think we're pretty set on having this event in MN.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Putting it that far away from the WI/IL scene is a letdown, mostly since the WI/IL scene is what pretty much goes to M.A.S. events.

But if the venue is the main reason for the move, I agree with Wafles in the sense that getting a hotel in chicago or even one in WI would be simpler for the people who went to the M.A.S. events.

But if your dead set on doing this in MN, go for it unfortunately because of the distance I'm not sure I can go myself.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Are you guys NOT reading what I am posting? :confused: Because I am reading what you guys are posting. I get it, where the tournament is going to be located is hard for a lot of people to access in the Smash community (mainly OH, IL, and MI players).

But where is the dedication?

MN players have traveled to IL and WI numerous times. Especially MN players from other fighting game communities. And with this tournament being planned so far ahead, making JOHNZ about traveling, especially to MN...which isn't really that far compared to some places I know midwest has been to, IS VERY DISCOURAGIING!!!

The "venue" is only like 45% of the entire reason why we've decided to NOT host Grand Finals in WI or IL, and host it in MN.

Where was all this complaining when people were planning on going to Pound, or Genesis, or H.O.B.O? And NONE of those tournaments even had a guaranteed pot bonus. You guys act like this is short notice or something. It isn't. Or that I haven't done enough for our local community as it is. Uhmmm gave away $750 in Jan (A.S.C), $400 in Feb (Kami No Bachi), $300 this month (Super Touhou), and gave away mystery pot money too late last year.

And you guys can't even travel to MN for a $2,000 guaranteed major? WTF!!!

The next time someone complains, please consider this post, and my reasonings I posted earlier before you complain about the venue location for this tournament again.

...this one tournament that has been posted almost 7 months before it's scheduled to happen.

Wafles

Smash Lord
Hey, I said I'm coming no matter what, but I'm just reminding you that you dropped your attendance significantly by moving this to Minnesota.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
People who travel are still gonna travel to this, regardless of community. Yea a couple people get screwed, but really, the Brawl community is so full of BS about travel johns it makes me sick. Guaranteed, any other dedicated fighter community, will travel to any state to get a good event, as long as they can get cheap flights, possibly housing or a cheap hotel, and a good show of people/money. All of this is provided if you take the time to figure it out considering you have 5MONTHS to get tickets/housing/ w/e. I know midwest Melee won't disappoint for a 2000$ pot bonus, especially with 800$ guaranteed for Brawl and Melee EACH.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
^^^ truth up here. lol anyone remember when i hosted a $1000 pot bonus brawl tourney and only like 20 OOS showed up cuz it was in wi? imo half the brawl community is a bunch of whiny children, i guess for websters sake i hope some of you prove me wrong

hunger!

Smash Champion
^^^truth up there. spikes that tourney was amazing. Remember when they biitched because they had to play pools. lol. I blame Midwest:west brawl. If it was on the east side of illiniois, woulda got like 100+ gurantee'd. this thing isnt for a while but im sure ill be there.

Wafles

Smash Lord
^^^ truth up here. lol anyone remember when i hosted a $1000 pot bonus brawl tourney and only like 20 OOS showed up cuz it was in wi? imo half the brawl community is a bunch of whiny children, i guess for websters sake i hope some of you prove me wrong
This tourney will have the same fate, or maybe even worse for brawl. We offered so many huge perks at that tourney and got minimal interest because of WI being the host.
Big tournaments in the midwest have to be in Ohio or Kansas it seems.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't care where this is, if I'm not busy at this time with school, I'm gonna make the trek to where ever this is. It's not like MN is that far away anyway, people are driving to Columbus for MLG, that's probably a longer drive(I don't feel like checking, so I could be lying. XD). Still, I didn't mind the ride all the way to St. Louis for Hot Dickings, and I won't mind going to this. It's a national close to our own community, why not drive a few extra hours for it?

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
The world will be mine!
-Giovanni
You're wasting my time!
-Giovanni
I'm the head of crime!
-Giovanni
And I like to rhyme!
-Giovanni

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
People who travel are still gonna travel to this, regardless of community. Yea a couple people get screwed, but really, the Brawl community is so full of BS about travel johns it makes me sick. Guaranteed, any other dedicated fighter community, will travel to any state to get a good event, as long as they can get cheap flights, possibly housing or a cheap hotel, and a good show of people/money. All of this is provided if you take the time to figure it out considering you have 5MONTHS to get tickets/housing/ w/e. I know midwest Melee won't disappoint for a 2000$ pot bonus, especially with 800$ guaranteed for Brawl and Melee EACH.
Forgive me for before, but I still didn't get the whole, moving it to MN when most events were in WI/IL/more southern areas. It just seemed odd to move it to MN when I can see what Wafles is saying that moving the event can have some consequences to them.

I'll try going to this of course, but I'm doubtful I can when my for my main ride I'm out of the way as is, for going west or north, and I'm limited with time thanks to college.

Not saying it would be impossible provided I had the cash to pay for gas and such.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I just got ****ed up...

On a serious note, this event isn't just about Brawl, like the other ones felt they were. This is a major that is representing all fighting communities, and Webster expects travelers from every community to make it. To hold it in MN probably guarantees you get more room for your buck,which is probably going to be extremely needed, and it just so happens that there is a bigger 2D fighter community in MN than IL/WI. The only difference is, that only the WI/IL Brawl players are complaining. Whenever I check the thread for this on SNK/Shoryuken, there are no johns. Brawl players aren't the only ones who go to college, they aren't the only ones having difficulty finding rides, and they aren't the only ones who are short on cash, but you are the only ones who try to make excuses due to these.

Top Bottom