• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

magic the gathering

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
i didnt see any threads that were less than a year old so i made one.
ive been playing since around '97 or so, i stopped buying new cards when the mirroden block came around and i just started buying a again during shadowmoore or something, whatever block that was.
anyway, discuss magic, what you like, dont like , fun deck ideas and whatever
i just built an islandhome deck "for teh lolz" go go manta ray!

Proverbs

Smash Lord
One of my favorite decks that I'm working on is an Elf deck with a splash of blue. I implement the infinite mana, infinite life trick with Staff of Domination, Wirewood Channeler, and Pemmin's Aura. Unfortunately, it's not super-reliable. I wanted to mix more wizards in there and help me get out what I need faster and have a back-up even if I can't, but I just didn't have the money to pull it all together, and didn't know who played :(

My friend Greg and I used to play, but he quit a while ago. =/

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
i had a all blue wizard deck that got me infinite turns thanks to panoptic mirror and time walk/beacon of tommorow or whatever.
use to play the generic sliver deck back in legions
now im running a grave pact deck, a megrim deck, and a few fun themed decks.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Sliver decks...so much hate...

Those things bothered the heck out of me. I could never handle a good sliver deck for some odd reason. Probably because I wasn't very good at Magic XD

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
meh, slivers were op back in the day, mine was a five color deck that centered round magma sliver...fun times.
im actually working on a deck now for fun, its an islandhome deck lol. i love makeing fun decks more than "good" decks, i have a dwarf deck too.

Smash Master
I used to play magic. I don't like how they have so many broken combos that the vast majority of decks "go off" and end the game right then and there with their signiture combo. Whoever goes off first wins. I miss the days where people attacked for like four damage or so. Now it's like "hey, I gain 100,000 life, or you discard your deck, or you skip every one of your turns ever, or you take a gazillion damage.

That's how it was when I stopped. Is it still like that? I thought the mechanics themselves were pretty well executed, but the cards ruined it.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
This was one of my favourite decks. I didn't build it with anything particular in mind, but it worked really well for me. This is the latest rendition:

8 Swamps
11 Islands
4 Plains
3 Salt Marsh
1 Quicksand
3 Genju of the Falls
3 Riptide Mangler
4 Stormscape Familiar
4 Cephalid Constable
4 Stormscape Battlemage
4 Azorius First-Wing
3 Power Matrix
4 Warped Devotion
1 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Consult the Necrosages
3 Head Games
1 Promise of Power
2 Distorting Wake
4 Recoil
1 Dromar's Charm
1 Time Stop

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I used to play magic. I don't like how they have so many broken combos that the vast majority of decks "go off" and end the game right then and there with their signiture combo. Whoever goes off first wins. I miss the days where people attacked for like four damage or so. Now it's like "hey, I gain 100,000 life, or you discard your deck, or you skip every one of your turns ever, or you take a gazillion damage.

That's how it was when I stopped. Is it still like that? I thought the mechanics themselves were pretty well executed, but the cards ruined it.
All depends on who you play with. That's why I'm not a fan of competitive magic, but I like playing it with friends for fun.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Back when I was like 14 my brother and I used to have epic magic the gathering battles. He mainly used swamp and I used forest and we would only use like the creatures that required a crapton of land. So it was always fun and took forever. Then we met someone that had a burn deck, and we never played again.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
i hate burn decks, their the one deck i cant stand playing.
most (good) burn decks decide, not nesasarily win, by the 3rd or 4th turn. plus it cant show any kind of player skill, just aim burn at their face.
i prefer a deck with the archetype "sligh" basicly it taps out ecery turn summoning 1/1 or 3/3's that cant block, really fast creatures and than winds down with some burn like lightning bolt or incinerate, thats one of my favorite decks of mine should i list it?

meh, it was like that for a few blocks, now its not bad at all, the current set is full of flavor (in fact, i built a DnD campaign around it) but they are bringing back "gold" cards from back in the day which makes me happy

slave1

Smash Lord
One of my favorite decks that I'm working on is an Elf deck with a splash of blue. I implement the infinite mana, infinite life trick with Staff of Domination, Wirewood Channeler, and Pemmin's Aura. Unfortunately, it's not super-reliable. I wanted to mix more wizards in there and help me get out what I need faster and have a back-up even if I can't, but I just didn't have the money to pull it all together, and didn't know who played :(

My friend Greg and I used to play, but he quit a while ago. =/
elf decks are evil. staff of domination is the ultimate infinate combo deck. beside maybe minds desire...

Sliver decks...so much hate...

Those things bothered the heck out of me. I could never handle a good sliver deck for some odd reason. Probably because I wasn't very good at Magic XD
no because good sliver decks are rediculously hard to deal with. and when they begin taking conrtol its all over.

i loved magic back in the day. i dont play as much as i use to. but when i did. i played every day for hours. it was epic.

i was down with the goblin decks, dragon, an occasional blue deck. i sucked at making blue decks.

i had a friend that could drop a cush of wurms on third tern and consistently do it on fourth.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
hers the list for that red deck:
mountains:17
goblin grappler: 3
worn powerstone: 1
war elemental: 1
bloodfire dwarf: 2
ankh of mishra: 1
howling mine: 2
flames of the bloodhand: 1
flame rift: 2
scorched rusalka: 1
citadel of pain: 2
lightning bolt: 4
shock: 4
incinerate: 1
lunge: 2
raging goblin: 4
volcanic fallout: 1
stigma lasher: 1
godo's irregular: 1
goblin patrol: 1
viashino sandscout: 2
bloodlust: 1
banefire: 1
zo-zu the punisher: 1
onslaught:1
orcish artillery: 1
furnace of rath: 1
this is a pretty simple deck, it plays fast all game and only one card costs more than 3, usually you can get a few whacks in before they get set up than either burn the creatures and plow through or just keep throwing burn at their head till they die...theres plaenty of it

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Wow, an exclusively red deck. I'm so terrible with those. It looks like a lot of fun though. I like low mana costs; it makes the game much more interesting.

EDIT: I love Incinerate. SO GOOD.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I remember when this game was new. ****, I'm getting old. Never actually played it though, TCGs cost WAY too much money. I find designing decks to be more interesting to actually playing the game anyways. Maybe if there was an online version with pretty graphics I'd play it.

Grunt

Smash Master
I know how to play but never did much cuz of money. My friend stole bought a crap ton of cards and was really good, so i always borrowed his deck when people were playing.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Except when the elves all help each other get summoned and you're facing 7 or more elves by turn three. >_<

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
There is a Magic Online... you can check it out here. It's pretty sweet, though I haven't played in a while.
Interesting, but really what i had in mind though. I was thinking more like some sort tactical warfare simulator/turn based strategy type thing.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
You guys should try playing against Goblins some time. They make Elves look pathetically weak.
please...goblins fail vs. elves, known fact. even "fast" gaoblin decks whith grnades and charbelchers and a recruiter lose to a few elves and a wellwisher, throw in a timberwatch or 2 and you cant even kill them easily, and than spidersilk armor is even more toughness and stop s the elves anti-air problem.
trust me, i play both, and like goblins wayyyyy more, but a good elves will always beat a good goblins

MojoMan

Smash Ace
I've been playing the game for 6 years, have spent hundreds of dollars on cards, and I feel that it's money well spent.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I've been playing for a few months now (since a bit before Alara first came out), and I'm running an wesome jund tokens deck.

Too bad I can't go to regionals this Saturday. Anyone here going?

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
ive been playing for about 12 years now!! im feel old, tempest ftw guys.
ive pumped entire paychecks into this **** and i still "obtain" alot of cards at walmart or whatever.

@ werekill: alara, i found it fun. i love the exalted mechanic and the whole feel of grixis, that reminds of old black cards.
as for regionals, i play too casualy to hit tournaments, i have bulilt my sharew of good decks, but i play too much for fun. i think ill post my favorite "fun deck" soon

cutter

Smash Champion
Except when the elves all help each other get summoned and you're facing 7 or more elves by turn three. >_<
Goblins can kill by turn 3.

please...goblins fail vs. elves, known fact. even "fast" gaoblin decks whith grnades and charbelchers and a recruiter lose to a few elves and a wellwisher, throw in a timberwatch or 2 and you cant even kill them easily, and than spidersilk armor is even more toughness and stop s the elves anti-air problem.
trust me, i play both, and like goblins wayyyyy more, but a good elves will always beat a good goblins
Really? Let's see what kind of damage Goblins can do to an Elf deck WITH Recruiter:

Lands (22)
13 Mountain
1 Forest
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Taiga

Creatures (34)
1 Skirk Prospector
4 Goblin Lackey
4 Goblin Recruiter
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Goblin Matron
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Ringleader
1 Goblin Sharpshooter
2 Siege-Gang Commander
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
4 Gempalm Incinerator

FOOD CHAIN FTW (4)
4 Food Chain

I'd really like to see how an Elf deck could stand up to a monster like this.

Someone can play me on MWS with their Elf deck if they wish to prove me otherwise :)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Ouch! Goblin deck. Well, just for fun, here's an elf deck.

25 Forest

2 Elvish Pioneer
2 Wellwisher
3 Wood Elves
1 Safehold Duo
1 Oracle of Nectars
1 Tel-Jilad Archers
1 Fyndhorn Elder
1 Wren's Run Vanquisher
1 Elvish Eulogist
1 Voice of the Woods
1 Elvish Hexhunter
1 Safehold Elite
1 Wirewood Symbiote
1 Ambush Commander
1 Weatherseed Elf
1 Imperious Perfect
1 Darkwatch Elves
1 Elvish Warrior

1 Lure
1 Vital Surge
1 Giant Growth
1 Harmonize
1 Elvish Promenade
2 Frog Tongue
2 Unchecked Growth
2 Kodama's Might
2 Rampant Growth

I doubt that it would stand up to your goblin deck though. :)

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Ouch! Goblin deck. Well, just for fun, here's an elf deck.

25 Forest

2 Elvish Pioneer
2 Wellwisher
3 Wood Elves
1 Safehold Duo
1 Oracle of Nectars
1 Tel-Jilad Archers
1 Fyndhorn Elder
1 Wren's Run Vanquisher
1 Elvish Eulogist
1 Voice of the Woods
1 Elvish Hexhunter
1 Safehold Elite
1 Wirewood Symbiote
1 Ambush Commander
1 Weatherseed Elf
1 Imperious Perfect
1 Darkwatch Elves
1 Elvish Warrior

1 Lure
1 Vital Surge
1 Giant Growth
1 Harmonize
1 Elvish Promenade
2 Frog Tongue
2 Unchecked Growth
2 Kodama's Might
2 Rampant Growth

I doubt that it would stand up to your goblin deck though. :)
An elf deck without Chameleon Colossus? Blasphemy.

MojoMan

Smash Ace
currently im running a pure blue deck based around oona (one of my fave cards). it is quite good, utilizes a lot of cojtrol. im also creating a flamekin deck, great buyrn cards used for that. i need a stuffy dall bad though (shivan meteor+stuffy=win).

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Haha, I love Shivan Meteor. I only have one, but it's fun to just throw it into a deck. When you whip that one out, it's priceless.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
okay, heres my old elf deck, almost card for card, itd probly shut down that goblin deck rather easily.

main deck 60 cards
land (18)
4 bayou
14 forest

creatures (28)
4 elvish berserker
4 taunting elf
4 timberwatch elf
4 wellwisher
1 essence warden
1 bloodline shaman
2 eladmri, lord of leaves
2 tribal forcemage
4 wirewood herald
2 treetop ranger

other spells (14)
4 spidersilk armor
4 wirewood pride
2 naturalize
4 dry spell

this was a fun deck, your sharshooter wont have much of a chance because of lord of leaves and spidersilks, the naturalizes have obvious targets and goblins die as easliy as elves do so the dry spells will take care of that and if they dont, say hi to taunting elf for me

arch knight

Smash Lord
i personally prefer the coldsnap block everything will freeze as rimefeather and rimescale control your fate

Top Bottom