• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

magic the gathering

MojoMan

Smash Ace
I have a great coldnsap deck. rimefeather owl is like THE ****. It's automatically already a 8/8 flying if you have all snowlands out. If you have an entire snow deck he could easily be a 13/13 flying creature for a mere 7 mana. However, my fave block is either Ravnica or Lorwyn. i always lvoed the fighting guilds and magical creatures. Worst edition is kamigawa. Did you know they had over 200 legendaries 9including artifacts, lands, and creatures, and enchantments). That was the most BS block ever.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Magic.

I love the game; havent really played it in forever. A few of my roommates and I kinda got back into it last spring, even had a custom block tourney. That **** turned out bad. (i forgot what 3 blocks we picked.)

I did get into some lorwyn/morningtide stuff, but the last time i REALLY played was 9 years ago in Urza's block (Broke tier block)

I look on the magic site every now and then to see what stuff is out now. The new untap nonsense makes my head spin.

Ah man, good times.

__

And speaking of B.F.M. I still have mine.

I still think Ashnod's Coupon ***** the **** out of that. I used to always slide that into my opening hand just to make somebody get me a pepsi first turn. I never played an "unglued legal game" ever. >: )

Im a dirty n**ger.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Magic.

I love the game; havent really played it in forever. A few of my roommates and I kinda got back into it last spring, even had a custom block tourney. That **** turned out bad. (i forgot what 3 blocks we picked.)

I did get into some lorwyn/morningtide stuff, but the last time i REALLY played was 9 years ago in Urza's block (Broke tier block)

I look on the magic site every now and then to see what stuff is out now. The new untap nonsense makes my head spin.

Ah man, good times.

__

And speaking of B.F.M. I still have mine.

I still think Ashnod's Coupon ***** the **** out of that. I used to always slide that into my opening hand just to make somebody get me a pepsi first turn. I never played an "unglued legal game" ever. >: )

Im a dirty n**ger.

Ashnod's coupon should be printed in the core sets! It's not overpowered, and hey, sometimes people just get thirsty when they're playing. Anyone know any amusing combos with Ashnod's coupon?

cutter

Smash Champion
R&D's Secret Lair allows you to ignore errata on cards.

In other words, just play the cards as they are written.

Be careful with it though because for example, it will make Interrupts unplayable because the card type Interrupt does not exist anymore.

slave1

Smash Lord
R&D's Secret Lair allows you to ignore errata on cards.

In other words, just play the cards as they are written.

Be careful with it though because for example, it will make Interrupts unplayable because the card type Interrupt does not exist anymore.
you must be an old school player because interrupts are now called instants. (i am pritty sure)

but seriously artifact decks are so dang fun. modular, sun burst, its all so tasty

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
but seriously artifact decks are so dang fun. modular, sun burst, its all so tasty
I picked up magic with a friend for the first time during the mirroden (mirrodin? screw it. Cant spell.)

But I always tended to shy away from the artifactesque decks... I like the Big Red/Burn decks :D Those were fun... (The one that had that beast that you pay one mountain and you remove the top like 10/20 cards of your deck to burn something? I forget what it was called...)

:034:

Smash Hero
My friends got me into Magic lately, and I've been running a Green/White/Red deck that contains mostly Alara Reborn/Shards of Alara/Tenth Edition cards... I love playing like that, just get some 10/something monster on the field with trample and destroy your opponents. I've also gotten a blue/white/black artifact deck, and a black/white Zombie/devour deck, though I haven't gotten to play it yet.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
heres one of my better decks

land (23)
21 swamp
1 dark depths
1 everglades

creatures (22)
2 will-o-the-wisp
3 fog of gnats
2 restless dead
4 nantuko husk
1 phyrexian ghoul
1 cadaverous knight
4 gravedigger
1 endrek sahr, master breedeer
1 chainer, dementia master
1 ascendeant evincar
1 lord of the pit
1 liege of the pit

other spells(16)
1 dark ritual
1 bubbling muck
3 vicious hunger
4 consume spirit
4 grave pact
1 pestilence
1 corrupt
1 plague wind

this deck works off the husks and the pit things making grave pact trigger alot, "gravedigging" gravediggers after the husk got one is another good way to trigger
grave pact.
if my army of black creatures, pumped by crovax, doesnt take them out, either marit lage or a bubbling muck/consume combo will.

Matt

Banned via Administration
On the topic of Elf vs. Goblin: From what I've HEARD, Goblin is the superior tribe and has been for several years in such tournaments because of consistent turn 3 wins. On the other hand, I've personally witnessed elf-themed decks that can win in as few turns. Once I played against an Elf-Ball deck that produced infinite mana in two turns and burned the living crap out of me. Of course, I was playing a Type 2 standard deck, so eff that guy.

I've only been playing the game since 10th edition (almost 2 years?), so I'm very unfamiliar with a lot of old cards. I've had an obsession with Green/White, so that's where most of my expertise lies.

I no longer play Magic competitively (I'm cheap/poor), so I recently got into the most fun format I've seen yet: Elder Dragon Highlander. Check out more Information here: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=377

My deck runs around Sisay so I can fetch tons of wonderful Legend cards. I'll post a deck-list soon.

I do have MWS and would love to test out the deck virtually if anyone else is interested.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
agreed

I played up until this point for a couple years... then this series came out and I was like "naa"

still fun to play with friends.
(my best deck ever got stolen in high school) :(
im not sure when you started, but i started back in '97, and i too set it down for mirroden. but, the realese of morniningtide or evenwhateverhellitscalled has brought me back into full force, drafts and all.

also, whats the hell is mws? is it like mtgo?

Matt

Also, it's interesting that Mirrodin discouraged you guys to the point of quittig. In most cases, I hear that it was Kamigawa that turned players away in disgust. Looking back on both sets, Mirrodin looked like a lot of fun (and a lot of the cards in the set are still very popular today) while Kamigawa is just as awful as it ever was.

But yeah, magic in recent years introduces tons of new mechanics and really awesome cards. I'd say that the metagame is deeper than its ever been, and the quality of the card creation (art and flavor and abilities and all) is so commendably good. And oh my god, who doesn't like Planeswalkers? Though I can't say with certainty, I feel like I got into Magic at the best possible time in its deservedly long lifespan.

Matt

There's a difference!

In Elder Dragon, you pick a Legendary creature who serves as your General and is at all times considered in your hand, but is placed off to the side (effects like Condemn will put it into your library, however). Whenever you get the mana, you can play your general, and for each time that he/she dies, you remove it from the game and add another counter to it. Playing it again requires you to pay 2 more colorless mana for each death.

Also, your entire deck can ONLY consist of colors that are in your General's casting cost. In my case, I can only use G or W or G/W cards. If something can be paid with, say, Green/Blue, the card is illegal for the deck.

There's also a special rule where if you take more than 21 points of a damage from a General, you die. It's kind of like poison counters.

In short, the difference is that EDH is a helluva a lot more fun.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
There's a difference!

In Elder Dragon, you pick a Legendary creature who serves as your General and is at all times considered in your hand, but is placed off to the side (effects like Condemn will put it into your library, however). Whenever you get the mana, you can play your general, and for each time that he/she dies, you remove it from the game and add another counter to it. Playing it again requires you to pay 2 more colorless mana for each death.

Also, your entire deck can ONLY consist of colors that are in your General's casting cost. In my case, I can only use G or W or G/W cards. If something can be paid with, say, Green/Blue, the card is illegal for the deck.

There's also a special rule where if you take more than 21 points of a damage from a General, you die. It's kind of like poison counters.

In short, the difference is that EDH is a helluva a lot more fun.
Oh, I didn't know anybody played it without the generals. Still the same rules otherwise though isn't it?

Matt

Yes, aside from the things I noted, I'm fairly certain that everything else remains the same. This includes the banned list, the special free mulligans rule, and the No Sideboards rule.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
hmm...i like highlander, this format and the first movie.
I only really think standard is interesting. The problem with formats that allow older cards is that it gets stale since the old staples almost always overpower the newer cards (the reason they stopped printing Counterspell in the core sets). Sometimes extended can be fun if their are interesting interactions between the older and newer cards, although that format seems doomed to be flooded with the dreaded Tarmogoyf for some time now. Standard keeps things fresh I find.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
It isn't that the metagame got deeper, its that they just decided every single card has to have some sort of ability/drawback.

2/2s for 3 mana probably don't even exist now... its probably just a 5/1 for 2 mana first strike/trample dies after a player shouts the word "Avatar" 5 times.

Oh and mirrodin pissed everyone off because everyone ran the same stupid deck that was like a 4 card min of 3 turn win condition or whatever it was. Some 8 year old was at a tournament at a local arcade (not that others weren't) but he was running the deck and I'm pretty sure beat everyone. He got the cards he needed within 5 turns, and just won every single game.

Don't get me started on indestructable from darksteel.

I just hated everything post 8, everything, I'd buy a booster, read the cards and be like "this is stupid"

I will always love oddessy and whatever one the avatars were from, I forget its name.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
well...i play vintage and i love it.
2/2s for 3 were pretty much a red only thing for a long time (in fact, to this day there is no vanilla 3/3 for 3 in red)
thats why the sligh deck was one of my favorites from back in the day. sligh decks took dwarvern soldiers AND goblins of the flarg, it didnt look at specif interactions as much as overall interactions, and it worked. like, instead of choosing between incinerate and lightning bolt, he did both even though one is clearly better.
i didnt really like oddessy...tempest and 6th ed. were the best.

cutter

Smash Champion
Mirrodin introduced the Affinity mechanic, which spawned a ridiculously broken deck called Ravager Affinity that even an 8-year old noob could destroy a seasoned professional player with.

Kamigawa was definately an awful set because its power level was just unbelievably low, and mechanics like Soulshift and Splice were parasitic mechanics that forced you to play an entire deck of bad cards.

In short, Affinity had no resistance at all when Kamigawa rotated in with Mirrodin in Type 2, and this caused Affinity to completely dominate the game so bad that WotC had to ban eight cards to kill the deck. A lot of people did quit the game during this time because it was really that bad. You either played Affinity or you lose. Simple as that.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
Mirrodin introduced the Affinity mechanic, which spawned a ridiculously broken deck called Ravager Affinity that even an 8-year old noob could destroy a seasoned professional player with.

Kamigawa was definately an awful set because its power level was just unbelievably low, and mechanics like Soulshift and Splice were parasitic mechanics that forced you to play an entire deck of bad cards.

In short, Affinity had no resistance at all when Kamigawa rotated in with Mirrodin in Type 2, and this caused Affinity to completely dominate the game so bad that WotC had to ban eight cards to kill the deck. A lot of people did quit the game during this time because it was really that bad. You either played Affinity or you lose. Simple as that.
look, i never said that either set was good, i said i enjoyed kamigawa's legendary theme. i dont tournement, but i do keep up with the major ones so i know the decks. even WotC knows they ****ed up with kamagawa...they admitted it.

Matt

I think the important lesson here is that competitive Magic is for *******s with tiny *****es.

Play for fun, and you'll have fun.

It's as simple as whining on the Internet!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I played competitive mtg through 9th or 10th grade but I never told my friends cause I was way too embarassed LOL.

Anyway back when Invasion was legal was the glory days of MTG in my opinion. There were so many viable decks due to all the amazing multicolor cards you could literally build a viable deck out of any color combination.

But I haven't played in like 6 years so I'm pritty outdated.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman

Hey isn't that the block that had Umezawa's Jitte? Haha that thing was so broken.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
the jitte came in kamigawa.
oh man, me and my friends smash and play magic like every weekend, its great.
theres 2 of us that win consistantly since we introduced everyone to magic, but their getting better.

thataintflaco1338

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom