• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvo Fenris

Smash Apprentice
Ah, so that's what it's from... we HAVE it, I just haven't played it. I think I'm saving it for when I'm drugged up after getting my wisdom teeth out.

@Khold: Wait... the secret moveset that PPL got the name of? (I knew what it was from, but I didn't know the names.) Or is this a different one?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
And I know my stuff, i've been joined to the hip with MYM ever since MYM2 began! Old timers > all ya youngens
Quoted because Frogman and me and all the rest of the MYM2ers are cool like that.

Really? I thought you were thinking of someone else, since I didn't point anyone out in particular. :ohwell: Either, it looks like it's going to be JB. :bee:
Lol, I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular. I just banked on the only modern option because I figured I'd be more familiar with that one. Turns out I was right! :bee:

And yeah, end the contest already.
Rules is rules. We got the rest of February. 'Sides, you never know what awesome moveset(s) will pop up at the end!

No, no, no no no, no!

NO

The best movesets are the ones saved for the very last minute. Don't deny the world another Headless-Horseman
See? Junahu knows what it's all about!

Baloo

Smash Ace
I'm angry.

I had a ton of attacks done for Toadette, and then some %^#%@%^^ posted that rickrolled thing.

GRRRRRRRRR

I have to start all over.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
It turns out that MYM2ers such as Spadefox and Sirkibble have more power than me, hehehe, at least I can share my knowledge across to ya MYM4ers, without having to do reviews. I just want to see Spadefoxes and Hyper_ridleys reviews on nOOb sets, and to see how they respond to it (maybe they'll be as harsh as MYM3 Warlord).

And yes, now i'm here for fun, my posts used to be on a semi-serious note, but now I post for fun with the style I write, maybe i'll become an internetz comedian, who knows? DFM can choose a lot of career paths, from Detectionfrogman to DancingScumman.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Yes, it's Lock, Shock, and Barrel, Salvo. I'm just going to call it ????? because I like the button I made. Here's what a few of the attacks are going to be based on:

"First, we're going to set some bait
Inside a nasty trap and wait.
When he comes a-sniffing we will
Snap the trap and close the gate.
"

---

"I say that we take a cannon
Aim it at his door and then
Knock three times and when he answers
Sandy Claws will be no more

"You're so stupid, think now
If we blow him up into smithereens
We may lose some pieces
And the Jack will beat us black and green.
"

---

"I've got something, listen now,
This one is real good, you'll see.
We'll send a present to his door
Upon there'll be a note to read.

Now, in the box we'll wait and hide,
Until his curiousity
Entices him to look inside,
And then we'll have him,
One, two, three!
"

Smady

Smash Master
It turns out that MYM2ers such as Spadefox and Sirkibble have more power than me, hehehe, at least I can share my knowledge across to ya MYM4ers, without having to do reviews. I just want to see Spadefoxes and Hyper_ridleys reviews on nOOb sets, and to see how they respond to it (maybe they'll be as harsh as MYM3 Warlord).

And yes, now i'm here for fun, my posts used to be on a semi-serious note, but now I post for fun with the style I write, maybe i'll become an internetz comedian, who knows? DFM can choose a lot of career paths, from Detectionfrogman to DancingScumman.
Hahah. :lol:

I can gloat harder, though - I was making movesets before there even was a MYM, on this very website. The only thing I had to come to terms with was the establishment.

Basket o Chicken

Smash Cadet
Hi.

I'll be making movesets!

I hope I make good ones, could someone just link me to some that are considered the best? So I can get an idea, ya know.

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
Hi.

I'll be making movesets!

I hope I make good ones, could someone just link me to some that are considered the best? So I can get an idea, ya know.
Why, hello there, Mr... Basket. We here at Make Your Move will help you show your creative side. The best recommendation for a newcomer would probably be the later Baloo movesets, since the competition is coming to an end. But there's no worries, as MYM 5 is coming soon.

I'd like to suggest mine if Smash Daddy's is to crazy for tastes...

princesspeachluver13

Banned via Warnings
Could someone please direct BoC to The Stadium. He can see all movesets from MYM4 there. It's all been arranged in numerical order, from first to last. But beware, BoC. If you want to make a moveset, submission date is in 12 days. Good Luck, and Happy Set-Making!!

Basket o Chicken

Smash Cadet
What's so great about Baloo's movesets? And who is he? Although I love the fact that he did a Kumatora moveset.

My first moveset will be Duster.

Edit- What's the Stadium?

Akiak

Smash Ace
Click on Electroplankton for best moveset EVUR! *shamelessadvertizingftw*

First of all read Kibble's guidelines on Page 1.

Then read Chef Kawasaki here for a great example of special mechanics and Black Doom here for a great moveset with no special mechanic.

The Stadium is here.

There is all general info on MYM. read the opening statement

princesspeachluver13

Banned via Warnings
What's so great about Baloo's movesets? And who is he? Although I love the fact that he did a Kumatora moveset.

Baloo...in 20 words. Baloo is the resident Mother fan. He makes a lot of movesets, all of which are amazing. He. Is. God.

While looking through the movesets, look particularly for Vexen. [/shamelessadvertisinglol]

Basket o Chicken

Smash Cadet
Ah, OK. But I wanna be the resident Mother fan. :p

I just saw he's doing a Magypsies moveset, that should be hilarious.

Oh, and thanks Akiak. Those will come in handy, I'm sure.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
HUZZAH! <-- Linkage be thar!

Behold, "the Stadium." You can check out the (massive) list of moveset submissions so far to this contest, and such things. That's also where you'd request a review for your moveset if it was finished, and you can check out previous contests as well.

Between the first post and the Stadium, you should be able to get a feel for what things are like around here.

Welcome to MYM! :bee:

EDIT: Dang, I guess I got beat to the linkage... Curse you, Akiak! Curse you and your speed-linking abilities!

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
SIRKIBBLE'S AWESOME GUIDELINES FOR MAKING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR MOVESETS

1) HAVE FUN -- Make sure the character you’re doing is one you actually like and can come up with a quality moveset for. Doing random characters you don’t know as well (yeah, it happens--"Anybody got any good ideas for a character to do??") isn’t likely to profit you anything.

2) LOOK IT UP! -- Don’t always assume you can quickly make a moveset in one sitting. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can’t, but don’t be afraid to look stuff up, even if it delays your moveset a bit. That could be a few hours, it could be days. Let it be. Take the time to make the moveset good.

3) SHOW ME YOUR COLORS -- Organize your entries. Most people prefer to use a little color, just to make things stand out. A massive wall of all-white text is hard to read. Use spaces, use colors, just organize it! The easier your entry is to read, the more people will actually read it and not give you some bogus comment about it.

4) THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX -- Punch-punch-kick is not always the answer. Always ask yourself how you can make your character unique. One thing I personally suggest that will help you do this is to name every move. You’ll start to feel dumb if every move is named “kick,” and it will help you think of more interesting actions. It won't be easy at first, but you'll get used to it. Just be creative.

5) LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION -- Check the recent posts before posting a moveset. If someone just posted an incredibly awesome moveset, or if the discussion on a moveset is still hot, wait. People may skip over your moveset if something is already going on or another great moveset takes the page’s spotlight.

6) TWO ENTRIES ARE BETTER THAN ONE -- The more entries you put in, the better the chances that people will start to notice you. Quite a few quality movesets were ignored in the last contest because they were the only one the particular user submitted. Don't go overboard, but make more than one moveset. Besides, the more you do, the better you'll get.

7) COMMENT -- If you're posting a lot and making sincere comments about others' work, chances are people will actually listen when you tell them to check out your movesets. Give and take, kids, give and take. Don't just expect people to recognize your awesome-ness immediately. You're gonna have to earn it, even if you can make the greatest moveset in the world.
Here are a few key points to consider while making a moveset:

Detail - When you write out a character's attacks, make sure you put in all the functionality details. If you're looking to overshoot, you'll want to be including damage (with percentages), knockback, range, lag times (for before and after the attack), priority, etc. If there's anything you think we might want to know, go ahead and put it.

Creativity - We like to see some variety in the attacks for a character. One of the most disappointing things in an MYM entry is a large number of basic punches and kicks (sometimes referred to by us as "PPK [Punch Punch Kick] Syndrome"). We'd much rather you think outside the box, giving your character more interesting and fun attacks that offer something more original.

Organization - If an entry isn't well-organized, it can be very difficult to read through, and by that token, won't get very many fans. Proper use of basic BBcode like bolding and underlining, as well as others like the color, size, and center tags, is essential. Take a look at some of the movesets in the thread for possible ideas of what's easy to read.

Balance - Naturally, it's most desirable for a character entry to be as balanced as possible. Not overpowered, and not underpowered. Keep that in mind while giving moves damage percentages, knockback, range, etc. It's more common for a moveset to end up overpowered than underpowered, and that's generally worse for the moveset, anyway, so aiming weak is usually more beneficial than aiming strong, if you're not sure where you're at. If you think you can judge it well enough on your own, the most-liked characters tend to fall somewhere around High Tier.

Playstyle - This can often be one of the most difficult, but rewarding, points of moveset creation. A central playstyle component is heavily favored in MYM. Whether the character is focused around a central mechanic (a switching mechanic, a PP system, or anything else you can think of), or if they're just focused around a strong point like gimping or projectiles, having a central point to base your character's moveset around is always a good idea.

You can get a feel for most of this by just reading over some of the movesets for the regulars in this thread. Most of us have links in our signatures to our movesets, whether through actual links to them there or to a "link-up space" where we keep links to all of our movesets.
A few things I think are important to a special mechanic, though. I'll do this in my typical fashion of picking it apart into components and pieces.

---------------

First and foremost, mechanics need to be Suitable to the character they're given to. We'll use the existing cast for an example of this. Lucario's Aura mechanic is perfectly suited to his character. It's a simple concept, though, and for that reason it might seem like the kind of thing you could apply to other characters. Take Ganondorf and his Darkness. You could say that his Darkness grows stronger as he takes damage or as the battle progresses, enhancing his moves, but... It just wouldn't fit him like it does Lucario and the Aura.

Another important thing concerning mechanics is that they should be Practical. As fun as it can be to write up extensive mechanics that make for insanely creative attacks and a totally ridiculous playstyle, it's best if you make sure you can still picture your character in real Smash combat. Bending the rules is okay, breaking them is not.

Special mechanics should also be Easy to understand and implement. In other words, they should be simple to the extent that you could explain them to someone who doesn't play Smash as much as people like us. Your brother or roommate, who plays with you from time to time, knows all the characters and can speak most of the lingo, should theoretically be able to understand this mechanic with ease.

Also, it's critical that special mechanics be Controlled by the player. While a mechanic that says "This character has a 10% chance that each of his/her attacks will actually perform a different, stronger attack!" could be seen as cool, the random factor is simply too much. Even in the case of something like Lucario's Aura or Pokemon Trainer's stamina, where the mechanics are not directly affected by the player, they can directly respond to them, limiting the random factor.

Of course, you all know that mechanics should always be Interesting, at least if it's going to dominate the rest of the moveset. In the case that you were writing something as simple as Lucario's Aura mechanic, a simple "Mechanic" section would work well enough, without cluttering the rest of the moveset, but if your mechanic affects the moveset such that you have to do extra writeup for all or most of the moves, then make it fun to read! Either make the mechanic simple enough to blanket statement the moveset, or make it interesting enough that having it throughout the moveset helps, rather than hinders, the execution.

On that note, the implications of a mechanic throughout a moveset should be Apparent. If not all the moves rely on the mechanic, then make it obvious which ones do and which ones don't. If you were explaining the Ice Climbers' mechanic to someone, you'd want to be very clear about how the Specials were affected in a more significant way than the rest of the attacks. This goes along with the mechanic being easy, but it's more directed toward us as moveset makers.

Gotta finish this with the cliche ending, now. If you're going to use a special mechanic, before you really get into involving it in your moveset, make absolutely sure that it's something that's Likable to you. If you hate your mechanic, and think it's a chore to include in the moveset, then chances are no one else is going to think much of it either. If it's fun for you, there's a lot better chance that it'll be fun for everyone else.
Those should help you. Notice who their all by.

Basket o Chicken

Smash Cadet
Thnaks.

Wow, I skimmed Kawasaki. It's really good. I love the cooking mechanic.

Also, is anyone doing a moveset for those painting guys from Kirby? I forget what they are called, those spherical thingys.

EDIT: Wow Kholdstare. Thanks.

Edit 2 -Oh yeah, they're called the Paint Rollers. anyone doing those?

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob

Edit- What's the Stadium?
Nothing is great about Baloo's movesets, it's just that he can make good movesets in a short amount of time.
If you want to look at a well presented moveset, look at Jafar by King K.Rool.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
No, no, no no no, no!

NO

The best movesets are the ones saved for the very last minute. Don't deny the world another Headless-Horseman
Indeed! :bee:

No need to rush this thing. Everyone loves a last-minute surprise. Especially me!

You will never know ^.^

Seriously, waiting for the results is the most suspense part of the contest - which I love, as it's mean't to be like this.

Surprise/Shock > Knowing how well you done before hand.
Very suspenseful... unless you're the one making the list. :ohwell:

I didn't participate in the decision-making for the MYM 3 list, but I did get an inside look at its creation... and so its posting was really kinda anti-climactic for me.

I'm going to be on for about a week. I'll be working hard on my secret moveset for MYM5. I might not be on SWF much, but I'll be working.
Yay, Kholdstare! How many of us would be working on movesets even without internet? Whatta guy. :bee:

Hahah. :lol:

I can gloat harder, though - I was making movesets before there even was a MYM, on this very website. The only thing I had to come to terms with was the establishment.
I'm with you, Smash Daddy. These guys call themselves old-timers? BAH! The two of us (and Mendez) were doing this before they ever got here!

edit - OK, Hi resident spammer.
Welcome to the fold, Chicken (or should it be Bucket?). I like you already. :bee:

EDIT: Whoa, like, five posts while I was typing that up. Khold pretty much gave you everything you'll need. Also, I'm glad you liked Kawasaki. :bee: It's widely considered my best moveset, although I agree with Jimny that my Jafar is better organized.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Baloo...in 20 words. Baloo is the resident Mother fan. He makes a lot of movesets, all of which are amazing. He. Is. God.
No. He is neither God nor is he the resident Mother fan. He is maybe ONE of the resident Mother fanS - considering he hasn't played all 3 games as far as I know, which several others did, including me. And I think Kholdstare, too.

Basket o Chicken

Smash Cadet
Either one, Bucket, Chicken, BOC, it doesn't matter.

I looked at Jafar, I don't like it as much as Chef, but it's still nice.

Baloo

Smash Ace
Hi Basket. I'm doing a Duster set, but you can do it instead.

While looking through the movesets, look particularly for Vexen. [/shamelessadvertisinglol]
:bee: Yay, I'm God.

No I'm not.

Ah, OK. But I wanna be the resident Mother fan. :p

I just saw he's doing a Magypsies moveset, that should be hilarious.

Oh, and thanks Akiak. Those will come in handy, I'm sure.
Yeah, a Magypsies set.

Nothing is great about Baloo's movesets, it's just that he can make good movesets in a short amount of time.
If you want to look at a well presented moveset, look at Jafar by King K.Rool.
Oh, that makes me feel great. :p

No. He is neither God nor is he the resident Mother fan. He is maybe ONE of the resident Mother fanS - considering he hasn't played all 3 games as far as I know, which several others did, including me. And I think Kholdstare, too.
LOL

I havn't, perhaps I'm the Mother 3 fan. Whatever.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Oh, that makes me feel great. :p
Sorry lol.
What I meant was you're like a machinegun- you repeatedly make movesets that are good.

Your movesets aren't on par with the likes of Cortex and Tiny, Black Doom, and Kefka, but they are some of the better ones in the contest.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Oh, thanks. You can do it to. Whatever, I'll do it.

And thanks Kibble (can I call you Kibble?)
Absolutely. Everyone else already does. :laugh:

Really, though, to get a feel for the quality of movesets, you can check out any of the ones from us regulars. Most of us have links in our sigs here that you can access our movesets through, and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions, either! :bee:

Baloo

Smash Ace
Sorry lol.
What I meant was you're like a machinegun- you repeatedly make movesets that are good.

Your movesets aren't on par with the likes of Cortex and Tiny, Black Doom, and Kefka, but they are some of the better ones in the contest.
That's Ok. I know I'm not the bast.

And Bucket Dude, Akiak is doing a Paint Rollers moveset.

D

Deleted member

Really, though, to get a feel for the quality of movesets, you can check out any of the ones from us regulars. Most of us have links in our sigs here that you can access our movesets through, and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions, either! :bee:
*Points at sig* For example. /shamelessad

Basket o Chicken

Smash Cadet

OK Kibble. I'll be sure to ask if I have any questions.

And OK, Akiak is doing Paint Rollers? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom