• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 6 - Nothing Gold can Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

n88

Smash Lord
@Neo

Hold your horses. I'm thinking we'll see the MYM6 Top 50 before we see MYM7. Although, I'll admit, all this planning has me hyped up for it.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Ed, Edd and Eddy sounds like it will be hilarious set when it's posted. It's fun when people make movesets for random characters.

I can imagine all current Brawl characters being remade in MYM7. When that happens, MYM will own Brawl and it will become more competitive.

Oh, and this calls to mind... I'd like to discuss Pokemon movesets, if the room will engage. Though this post is getting super long so I'll have to dedicate another one to it.
What about Pokemon sets, I ask?

JOE!

Smash Hero
I can imagine all current Brawl characters being remade in MYM7. When that happens, MYM will own Brawl and it will become more competitive.
REMIX PROJECT:
DIBS LIST​

just a quick listing of who has claims on who for the moment

DONE LAST CONTEST (thus off-limits): :mario2: :mewtwo:

JOE!: :samus2: :sonic:

n88_2004: :yoshi2: :zelda: :shiek: :younglinkmelee:

Wizzerd: :popo: :pichu: :lucario:

Marth Trinity: :ness2: :peach:

Kupa: :dk2: :diddy:

Darth Meanie + Kupa: :bowser2:

Master Warlord: :wario: :dedede:

Kholdstare: :link2:

Twilty: :ike:

Neo Exdeath: :luigi2:

Gold Wyvern: :jigglypuff:

Smash Daddy: :ganondorf:

Skyler Ocon: (:kirby2: :pikachu2:?)

King K.Rool: :pt: (:squirtle:/:ivysaur:/:charizard:)

Hyper Ridley: :wolf: :metaknight:

Apemasta': :olimar:

Jimnymebob: :snake:

Koppakirby: :lucas: (:drmario:?)

UP FOR GRABS:
:rob: :zerosuitsamus: :fox: :toonlink: :falco: :marth: :falcon: :roymelee: :pit: :gw:

just bumping this, again

ONLY 10 FIGHTERS LEFT! (wary)​

come on folks, claim ur doodz

n88

Smash Lord
@JOE!

Dropping ROB, taking Zelda+Sheik. I had some ideas for ROB, but I don't think they're quite enough to make a whole moveset out of, after all.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Thought I'd update the Xat-less masses on what's going on with the Top50;
*entering super formal mode*

We are hard at work rounding off MYM6's Top50, but a couple of us live in radically different time zones, making decisions a slower process than we had originally hoped.
We were aiming for a Friday release of the Top50, though next Monday appears to be the likely date now. Be patient, the leadership takes its job seriously, and we are planning to compensate for the delay with something cool.

And though there has been little formal discussion about MYM7, Thanksgiving day (26th) would be the most logical day to start it on. Use the free time to work on and perfect whatever movesets you have cooking.
Also in the meantime, if you want anything to change for MYM7, make your voice heard here and we'll take it under consideration.

And ignore JOE, Mario and Mewtwo are not "Off Limits" in any sense of the word.
~Junahu (pretending to speak on behalf of the entire leadership)

JOE!

Smash Hero
why is that, Jun?

they were *just* done this contest....near the middle/end to be exact.

why remake 2 sets that were essentially *just* done?

n88

Smash Lord
@JOE

That doesn't necessarily make them off-limits. You're doing a Samus remix, but I could've sworn I just saw one a few pages back. When you say "off-limits" it makes it sound like it's against the rules of the thread or something like that, which it isn't. It just wouldn't be a part of your project. At least, that's what I believe Junahu is trying to say. I could be wrong.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Heh heh, cool stuff there. I want to steal some of them. :flame:

Actually, Rool. . . would you like to do a joint set?

Something just feels right about it. It's just so out of the ordinary for an idea of that nature to even occur to me, that I am simply unable to do other than ask you.

If it is even thinkable to sign on with an unknown quantity such as myself. :\

*hype*
Well... on the one hand, I'm averse to joint sets in general. On the other, it would definitely be interesting, working with an unknown quantity. ;) I'll give it some more thought; I wouldn't want to rush into it and then drop all the workload in your lap halfway through.

And JOE... if we were all to follow your logic, Samus would be off-limits. (FLIP)

Just because twice wasn't enough

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
What is a remix exactly?

Is it like what Ocon did with Mario, using elements from all games, or should I aim for something like what Mewtwo and Samus were; taking most ideas from one source material, The First Movie and Prime Trilogy respectively?

Because I know the MGS 1 and 2 story, and have played 2 and watched playthroughs of the original, but would going off this be enough, or would I have to implement stuff like the Octocamo (or whatever the camo in MGS4 is called)?

n88

Smash Lord
A remix is a new set for any character that's actually in Smash.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Remix is taking a character that's in Smash and making a new moveset for it, but keeping at least one of its attacks.

Remake is making an entirely new character moveset, with no shared moves.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I called samus way before Kat even posted it...I even announced doing it on the Xat before Samus was posted by Kat...

anywho, I guess you could redo the characters if you want to, but it may be a bit awkward as they were *just* done unless you make them completley different (like how I am making samus)

anywho, reposting list with a rule change to make you all happy....

VVVVVVVVVVV

JOE!

Smash Hero
REMIX PROJECT:
DIBS LIST​

DONE LAST CONTEST: :mario2: :mewtwo: :samus2:

Kholdstare: :link2:

UP FOR GRABS:
:rob: :zerosuitsamus: :fox: :toonlink: :falco: :marth: :falcon: :roymelee: :pit: :gw: (:mario2: :mewtwo:)

just bumping this, again

ONLY 10 FIGHTERS LEFT! (wary)​

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I called samus way before Kat even posted it...I even announced doing it on the Xat before Samus was posted by Kat...
I have no idea of what goes on in the Xat since I can't go on there, sooooo it's not really my fault. But it's okay for you to do Samus if you want to. You'll definitely do a much better job than I did, seeing as it wasn't really a serious set for me, just an idea I wanted out of my way.

The remix project's really going to be the only thing that the thread will be about for many days to come. Were on our way to filling Brawl with new and improved SSBB sets, but characters like Captain Falcon, Fox and Falco don't really have any potential to be better, seeing as their moves were just made up so they could be into Brawl. Zelda had magic syndrome as well.

It would be funny however if somebody decided to do Game and Watch or ROB and used their SSE roles as potential for their character, though it would get a bit messed up that way.

JOE!

Smash Hero
G&W can use other G&W games for a set, or just more interesting uses of his current set.

ROB...dunno what to do with him

Falcon could maybe use the gun he has...?

Fox/Falco dont have much source material outside the arwing, unless you wanna give them stuff from Starfox Assault or...Starfox adventures...

the other guys i dunno any reason as to why they arent being done tho o_o

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I don't really see what can be done with Roy and Marth, seeing as they each have about 4 in-game animations...
The ability to use the Fire Emblem for chest opening (translatable to Smash as thievery) gives Marth a bit more potential, though Marth is still no high-potential set. As for Roy... he's a very boring, generic, and potentialess character just like his father was. Unlike his father, Roy is a contestant for the weakest FE lord ever.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Katapultar said:
Zelda had magic syndrome as well.
This is something that has been bothering me for a while, and I'll just put my thoughts on a whole list of things.

Magic Syndrome: If a character is, you know, a mage, it's perfectly acceptable to have "Magic Syndrome" if the spells apply. Arche and Voldemort are two good examples. Do not complain about a set having magic syndrome if they use magic (but don't do things beyond their power with it). Zelda uses magic. That's what she does. She doesn't go beyond anything crazier than Din's Fire; they're simple sparks or blasts. There is nothing wrong with this.

Pokemon Syndrome: This can be bad if executed poorly. Take SparkZ's Espeon moveset, for example:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6221341&postcount=6668

This is a bad example. It has moves totally unfitting to Espeon (Grass Knot is a bad culprit) and they do nothing to improve it. However, MT's Azumarill:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7384223&postcount=1456

has "Pokemon Syndrome", yet it doesn't detract from the set. All of the attacks I can imagine Azumarill naturally doing. These are the two distinctions. I personally like seeing a Pokemon moveset with all Pokemon moves, if it is done well. By "done well", I don't mean "going to Bulbapedia and filling in a moveset from the attacks there". I mean taking a Pokemon, thinking of cool ideas and a flowing playstyle, and finding moves that would compliment that.

Trap Character: If the traps are fitting to their character and playstyle, traps are not bad at all. In fact, traps can be a good thing. Lemmy Koopa, which I consider one of H_R's best sets ever, is the trap character at its prime. Traps are not a bad thing- unless they are unfitting and detract from the playstyle.

/rant

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Really? Magmortar as a good example?

Focus Punch, Iron Tail, Mega Punch, and Mud Slap? THUNDERBOLT?

(SHOCK)

EDIT: It's not like there aren't plenty of other sets that use Pokemon moves, but also use moves more fitting to character that are made up either.

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Wow! 6 votes for Scyther?

I was expecting to scroll down to the bottom. Thank you, whoever voted me (crazy people!), and whoever helped me (more crazy people!)

Hopefully, I'll be back sometime.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Really? Magmortar as a good example?

Focus Punch, Iron Tail, Mega Punch, and Mud Slap? THUNDERBOLT?

(SHOCK)

EDIT: It's not like there aren't plenty of other sets that use Pokemon moves, but also use moves more fitting to character that are made up either.
Magmortar? What? I used Azumarill.

(WARY)

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Maybe I should clear up all these crazy syndromes I've coined...

This is something that has been bothering me for a while, and I'll just put my thoughts on a whole list of things.

Magic Syndrome: If a character is, you know, a mage, it's perfectly acceptable to have "Magic Syndrome" if the spells apply. Arche and Voldemort are two good examples. Do not complain about a set having magic syndrome if they use magic (but don't do things beyond their power with it). Zelda uses magic. That's what she does. She doesn't go beyond anything crazier than Din's Fire; they're simple sparks or blasts. There is nothing wrong with this.
At the start of the contest, nobody even believed in magic syndrome but me. :cool:

See, Voldemort doesn't have magic syndrome. Magic syndrome is when your character has TOO much potential. It's when you can give them absolutely any effects or techniques and justify them by pointing to magic. Magic syndrome isn't like Pokemon Syndrome; it isn't a negative in itself, it's a way to explain that a set has unfocused playstyle. Voldemort concentrates and just because he has both energy beams and fireballs doesn't mean anything - if he also had levitation spells and potions and teleportations and water spells and various status effects and swords materializing out of nowhere and could turn various appendages into chunks of wood, then he'd have magic syndrome.

Arche DOES show magic syndrome, but she wallows in it, and again, unlike Pokemon Syndrome, it's just a warning sign, not an active detritiment. She has a clearly defined playstyle anyway.

Zelda does not have magic syndrome (see, lack of caps!) just because she uses a variety of little energy blasts; if they all had random status effects or other mind-twisting creativity boosters, she'd have an unfocused playstyle. Why? Well, it'd pretty much be magic syndrome.

And while I'm sorta-kinda addressing Katapultar, I liked Samus Remix. I really wish so many good MYMers didn't sell their less well-received efforts short... (coughSlowpokeSukaponMetagrossRivalTrainerLelouchcough)

Anyway, I hope that sort of clears up what I mean, at least, when I refer to magic syndrome. I can't speak for others, of course... :embarrass

Pokemon Syndrome: This can be bad if executed poorly. Take SparkZ's Espeon moveset, for example:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6221341&postcount=6668

This is a bad example. It has moves totally unfitting to Espeon (Grass Knot is a bad culprit) and they do nothing to improve it. However, MT's Azumarill:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7384223&postcount=1456

has "Pokemon Syndrome", yet it doesn't detract from the set. All of the attacks I can imagine Azumarill naturally doing. These are the two distinctions. I personally like seeing a Pokemon moveset with all Pokemon moves, if it is done well. By "done well", I don't mean "going to Bulbapedia and filling in a moveset from the attacks there". I mean taking a Pokemon, thinking of cool ideas and a flowing playstyle, and finding moves that would compliment that.
Basically, an attack like, say, Swagger, really doesn't feel typical of Azumarill and is about as ruinous to the character's flow as Charizard pulling a giant boulder out of hammerspace is. It's justified only by the fact that the Pokemon can learn it, ignoring the plain fact that it doesn't make sense. I mean, every single Pokemon can learn Toxic, even... I don't know... Geodude! Clearly, their concerns were not on what made thematic sense.

And I never really talked about it because it took enough hate already, but I always thought Azumarill was one of MT's weakest sets.

Trap Character: If the traps are fitting to their character and playstyle, traps are not bad at all. In fact, traps can be a good thing. Lemmy Koopa, which I consider one of H_R's best sets ever, is the trap character at its prime. Traps are not a bad thing- unless they are unfitting and detract from the playstyle.

/rant
Trap characters are not a bad thing. Throwing in traps onto an everyday average Joe just because they're more easy to make interesting than physical attacks is a bad thing. Or that's what I always thought, anyway. There was a time there at the start of this MYM when there was hardly a single attack without either prop attacks or traps or a mechanic. This is why we started the Punch Out renaissance, for god's sake.

/self-indulgent reply to rant

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Remix is taking a character that's in Smash and making a new moveset for it, but keeping at least one of its attacks.

Remake is making an entirely new character moveset, with no shared moves.
That's... really not what a remix is at all, Khold. A remix is a new moveset that captures the essence of the original moveset, usually via replicating and expanding upon the playstyle. Joe's Mewtwo was much more of a remake than a remix, I think.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Joe's Mewtwo was much more of a remake than a remix, I think.
At least I labeled Samus as being a remake rather than being a remix... phew. Though I don't know if Mewtwo really had a defined playstyle in Melee to the point where the remix thing can be questioned. The MYM6 Mewtwo set has a playstyle on it's own on the other hand, so it's a remake.

Oh, I wasn't rebuking you or anything, Katapultar. Sorry if I came off as stern.
Im the one who should be sorry. I sounded sarcastic (Does not work on the internet) through the use of the words, which I should be more careful of, sounding more mean than I intended to be when I was responding.

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
First of all: Gligar is the best pokemon that has Pokemon Syndrone, natch.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7309542#post7309542

I mean I know that this is self promotion, but this took me about 2 months to make sure every move that Gligar has is actually in the game. Yet each move makes up through uniqueness, simplicity, and being in character (the Dair Roost is a great example)

And now for some bad news: Chances of me being in MYM 7 are slim... with a ****ty laptop and three other computers own by my parents, my only access to the would be my Wii internet, and you know how crappy that is in real life. Besides I'm finally starting to get a life, abliet a developing one. Plus with me being a senior that can't drive and just took his first SATs ever last week, I need to prepare myself with life... So yeah.

So long, and thanks for all the monkeys on typewriters.

JOE!

Smash Hero
REMIX PROJECT:
DIBS LIST​

DONE LAST CONTEST: :mario2: :mewtwo: :samus2:

Kholdstare: :link2: :toonlink:

Agi: :pit:

UP FOR GRABS:
:rob: :zerosuitsamus: :fox: :falco: :marth: :falcon: :roymelee: :gw: (:mario2: :mewtwo:)

just bumping this, again

ONLY 8 FIGHTERS LEFT! (wary)​

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Dang, I should have grabbed Ganon. I already went over a reinvention of his moveset at Ganon boards. (Hint: Smash Daddy, be careful where you do your research ;) )

But it seems he was claimed when I wasn't even looking.

On another note, what exactly would a Captain Falcon remix be?:confused:
Maybe I could remix the next best thing, though...

I think the problem is that, other than Zero Suit Samus, and Robot for another reason, every character there... is pretty much spot-on what it should be. Or ever will be. Aside from balance issues.

Zero Suit of course could be changed to actually play like Zero Mission, and Robot can GTFO my fighter game series. Srsly, if you gave Robot to me, I'd make it a joke set that wasn't funny. :\ [/venom]

Any remix I did wouldn't have a lot of originality, though. I'd be focused on fixing up internal inconsistencies, power-level issues, inherent flaws (e.g. Falcon can't fight anyone with a sword and not named Link) and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom