• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Your Own Textures: Download Links and a Small Guide (Updated for legality)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Just wanted say thanks for the guide, really helped me start out texture making =3

Thank you! =D

-Axle-

Smash Cadet
Okay, I'm having some troubles. First of all, I have some textures on my SD card already, and they work fine. However, I'm trying to get CSPs to match the textures so we don't have to memorize which costume is which.

I downloaded the PAC list, CUPASH, and GIMP, but I didn't get very far in the setup process. Apparently, I got stumped at step 3:

3) Extract the following files in the corresponding version of your games and put them in the neededfiles directory.
USA version
PARTITION 2/system/common5_en.pac

That's all fine and good, but I have no clue where these files are. I have the CUPASH package, and there's nothing that even resembles anything like this. If there's something that I need to do/download that isn't included in the OP, can somebody let me know? Thank you to anyone who decides to help me.

(For the record, I have Brawl+ also. Don't know if that would have to do with anything, though.)
Yeah, I don't get what step 3 is saying either. I don't know where to find those files. (or are they on the brawl iso?) I don't need any help on making the actual texture hack work in play though, I'm just stuck on making the character select icon in step 3.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Wondering if anybody could help me out with getting CSP's working, or rather how to fix a problem I am having.

So I did everything based off of the MeowMix CUPASH guide.
I have CUPASH and ntcompress and texconv in my CUPASH folder, ran step one after putting common_en5.pac in the neededfiles folder.

That loaded up the templates folder with each character's "#_big" files.

Next I created a .tga file to run step 2 with. I was trying to create a texture for Politoad Squirtle (from the Pokemon Gold pack on Stack Smash).

128x160, perfect magenta background, indexed to a proper color amount, and saved as the correct name.

Put that into the newfiles folder, ran step 2 and got the system, menu and info folders. Then renamed common_en5.pac to common5.pac

I put those in my /pf folder on the SD, started up Brawl and the CSP's weren't at the CSS screen. However, they DO show up at the victory screen.

I did this with the remaining Poke's in the Gold Trainer set and they all did the same thing. No CSP on the CSS but the CSP shows at the victory screen. Anybody know what I could have possibly done wrong?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Wondering if anybody could help me out with getting CSP's working, or rather how to fix a problem I am having.

So I did everything based off of the MeowMix CUPASH guide.
I have CUPASH and ntcompress and texconv in my CUPASH folder, ran step one after putting common_en5.pac in the neededfiles folder.

That loaded up the templates folder with each character's "#_big" files.

Next I created a .tga file to run step 2 with. I was trying to create a texture for Politoad Squirtle (from the Pokemon Gold pack on Stack Smash).

128x160, perfect magenta background, indexed to a proper color amount, and saved as the correct name.

Put that into the newfiles folder, ran step 2 and got the system, menu and info folders. Then renamed common_en5.pac to common5.pac

I put those in my /pf folder on the SD, started up Brawl and the CSP's weren't at the CSS screen. However, they DO show up at the victory screen.

I did this with the remaining Poke's in the Gold Trainer set and they all did the same thing. No CSP on the CSS but the CSP shows at the victory screen. Anybody know what I could have possibly done wrong?
That means that your directory for your common5.pac is wrong or you decided to use your original instead of the one outputted.

IE, for example:

Common5.pac deals with the character selection portraits, the men .brres's deal with the victory results.

InfFace's deal with character battle portraits, those small things on the bottom.

Now, you obviously are only using big portraits so you should only have the common5.pac and men .brres's altered.

If the results screen is working, it means your common5.pac isn't working.

If the one in the system folder on your SD card is still named common5_en.pac, it will not work, or if you copied the wrong one it won't work.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
This has been bugging me for a while. I haven't even started yet. Wanna know why?

Mega-****ing-Upload. Could someone please think of a BETTER file hosting website next time? -.-; Like Mediafire? <3

Anyway, I'm only missing ASH. I (luckily) managed to download the other 2 files, that's all I'm missing. I've been trying for several days now. Even though no one's using their computers much..

So could someone please be kind enough to upload ASH on Mediafire? ^_^ It's only 1MB. <3

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
How can I add to an existing batch of menu battle portraits I already downloaded? I figured it would be as simple as copying some .brres files over, but then it didn't add anything. So I replaced the common5.pac file with the new one and it erased all the other battle portraits except the ones I made.

What should I do to have both?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That means that your directory for your common5.pac is wrong or you decided to use your original instead of the one outputted.

IE, for example:

Common5.pac deals with the character selection portraits, the men .brres's deal with the victory results.

InfFace's deal with character battle portraits, those small things on the bottom.

Now, you obviously are only using big portraits so you should only have the common5.pac and men .brres's altered.

If the results screen is working, it means your common5.pac isn't working.

If the one in the system folder on your SD card is still named common5_en.pac, it will not work, or if you copied the wrong one it won't work.
You must also take into account which file replacement codes you're using. You should get the portraits to appear on the CSS if you're using File Replacement v2.1a. And like illinialex24 said, make sure that the PAC file is called common5.pac and placed in its proper directory.

Ferith

Smash Cadet
Step2_extract ->

Using Vista.

Edit: Also, worth mentioning, this only happens with his hair.

walter01

Smash Cadet
why hasn't this been sticked yet?

also, is it possible to open the image files in 3d with GIMP? i find it very hard to edit these things when im not quite sure what goes where and how well they all fit together

sorry for the noob question, im a noob :p

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
For some reason my texture, FitDiddy00, which is just a simple change of hat logo, won't show up in Brawl. I have all other textures working EXCEPT the one on his default. All other characters' textures work as well. It simply shows the Nintendo logo, which I actually browned out to match the hat, and put my logo on top of it. The file processed quickly and easily.

Help?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
For some reason my texture, FitDiddy00, which is just a simple change of hat logo, won't show up in Brawl. I have all other textures working EXCEPT the one on his default. All other characters' textures work as well. It simply shows the Nintendo logo, which I actually browned out to match the hat, and put my logo on top of it. The file processed quickly and easily.

Help?
Do you have other Diddy textures and are you sure you copied the correct file?? It should not just show nothing if you did it properly. The .pcs should be a different size than the original, but the .pac should be the same.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Do you have other Diddy textures and are you sure you copied the correct file?? It should not just show nothing if you did it properly. The .pcs should be a different size than the original, but the .pac should be the same.
Yes, the _new.pcs and the _new.pac.

I have other Diddy textures.

"It should not just show nothing if you did it properly."
What do you mean?

The PAC is the same size, the PCS is at least 300kbs smaller than the original PAC.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ok, so that isn't the original but when you are running the thing, some newer versions if they have an error might not just include it. Its annoying but I wonder. Try re-running the Step 2 and see if everything says "Texture Added". If not, I have no explanation unless:

1. You had already selected neutral Diddy when you inserted the SD card with the new texture. It loads on selecting the character and going to the stage menu thing, but if you already select him to change it you have to choose a new costume, go to the stage menu and go back. Its complicated.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Ok, so that isn't the original but when you are running the thing, some newer versions if they have an error might not just include it. Its annoying but I wonder. Try re-running the Step 2 and see if everything says "Texture Added". If not, I have no explanation unless:

1. You had already selected neutral Diddy when you inserted the SD card with the new texture. It loads on selecting the character and going to the stage menu thing, but if you already select him to change it you have to choose a new costume, go to the stage menu and go back. Its complicated.
It shows "Texture Added", and no, I put the SD in before turning on the Wii.

Frustrating. xD

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Wait.

I have two TGAs in the akaifuku folder.

That supposed to be that way?

(I renamed the edited one to say EDITED)

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Double post.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Wait.

I have two TGAs in the akaifuku folder.

That supposed to be that way?

(I renamed the edited one to say EDITED)

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Double post.
Lol nope, you need to have the edited one to have the original name. Delete the other one, there is an error specifically related to having the same image twice.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Lol nope, you need to have the edited one to have the original name. Delete the other one, there is an error specifically related to having the same image twice.
So when I'm done, and I want to edit the original again, all I need to do is extract once more?

Thank you very much, I will try this.

EDIT: One more problem, what is the Alpha Layer?

"no alpha layer in akaifuku" (Shortened)

Oh and by the way, A.K.A. I *** U? :V

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
The Ash thing isn't working at all for me. It says it can't find a bunch of stuff it needs to run Ash, and then when it gets to type a pac file, I do, and press enter, and then it just exits. !!!

EDIT: nvm

illinialex24

Smash Hero
So when I'm done, and I want to edit the original again, all I need to do is extract once more?

Thank you very much, I will try this.

EDIT: One more problem, what is the Alpha Layer?

"no alpha layer in akaifuku" (Shortened)

Oh and by the way, A.K.A. I *** U? :V
The alpha layer is the invisible layer needed for a few files below. If you index it, you delete the alpha layer, which is why you can't do that for files that need it (+1, +2). Enjoy, you can always add it if you use gimp by finding the ability in "Layers".

The Ash thing isn't working at all for me. It says it can't find a bunch of stuff it needs to run Ash, and then when it gets to type a pac file, I do, and press enter, and then it just exits. !!!

EDIT: nvm
Yeah, get ntcompress and texconv lol

Weevle

Smash Rookie
"ERROR: The image you provided isn't valid.
It will be ignored.
Press any key to continue..."

This is the message I get after trying to run Step 2. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
"ERROR: The image you provided isn't valid.
It will be ignored.
Press any key to continue..."

This is the message I get after trying to run Step 2. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
You didn't. Its just Step 1 can sometimes have errors, save the file you tried and rerun Step 1. I've gotten that often on pictures I didn't edit, if you didn't edit it, press enter, but if you did, save all those folders and rerun step 1.

Rambi

Smash Rookie
Ok, I've got one little problem. (I apologize if anyone has asked about this already, I'm new to this forum business.)

When I start up step 2, an error message pops up saying that tplsplitter.exe just stopped working. Is there some way for me to fix this? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Rambi

Smash Rookie
-edited once again-

I apologize for all these edits, but as I solve one problem, a new one shows up... or better said, an old one rears its ugly head. It's tplsplitter again... I really can't figure out why it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom