• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Your Own Textures: Download Links and a Small Guide (Updated for legality)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambi

Smash Rookie
-edited once again-

I apologize for all these edits, but as I solve one problem, a new one shows up... or better said, an old one rears its ugly head. It's tplsplitter again... I really can't figure out why it won't work.
I was thinking, perhaps it would be much easier to figure out what my problem was if I copied down exactly what Step Two says when it closes on me:

"Do you want to include this texture (yes=y, no=otherwise) -> y
Microsoft (R) D3DX9 Texture Converter
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 2001. All rights reserved.

Failed to create D3D device
Microsoft (R) D3DX9 Texture Converter
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 2001. All rights reserved.

ailed to create D3D device
Texture: 01.TEX0
Palette: 01.PLT0
Palette detected.
Start: 20
End: 75
Size 55
Palette created.
Extracting Texture.
Start: b5
End: ffffffff

This Application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Once again I apologize... I just really want to start making textures, and after so much time of trying to find everything I deeded, it's so irritating having this tiny little error standing in my way.

Rambi

Smash Rookie
Ok. With a big, heaping thanks to BigSharkZ on YouTube, my ASH is finally working properly. NEW problem: Those **** +2 textures. No matter what I do with them, I ALWAYS get an error when trying to make the new pcs & pac. I do the whole indexed color thing, but I still get the error ("This texture has erroneous colors!"). I'm currently trying to make Doopliss from Paper Mario 2 out of Toon Link. Why the hell does he have to have so many +2 textures?! DX

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ok. With a big, heaping thanks to BigSharkZ on YouTube, my ASH is finally working properly. NEW problem: Those **** +2 textures. No matter what I do with them, I ALWAYS get an error when trying to make the new pcs & pac. I do the whole indexed color thing, but I still get the error ("This texture has erroneous colors!"). I'm currently trying to make Doopliss from Paper Mario 2 out of Toon Link. Why the hell does he have to have so many +2 textures?! DX
Wanna learn how to manually hex?? Thats my only fix for these things...

Rambi

Smash Rookie
Ah, nevermind... ^^;

I did some digging in the drawers next to my comp and found an installation cd for photoshop elements. I gave it a whirl and those cursed + textures became very cooperative. 0.0

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
as far as actually editing the textures is concerned, is there any place u can find that labels what part of each sheet represents what part of a character.

right now im trying to edit ganon's body texture sheet and boy is it confusing... any help? i cant tell wat part represents wat

illinialex24

Smash Hero
as far as actually editing the textures is concerned, is there any place u can find that labels what part of each sheet represents what part of a character.

right now im trying to edit ganon's body texture sheet and boy is it confusing... any help? i cant tell wat part represents wat
Not really, read the name and have a pause debugger hack on your Wii so you can view exactly what is what. It can get moderately confusing for characters, stages are the worst however.

wangston

Smash Lord
So now that I finished my first texture I want to make it look better. All the stuff I added to it has no shading. I was wondering how to go about adding some shading to a tshirt and to get some leather looking and suede looking shading to the shoes.

It's just sections of the texture. So should a paste in something and change the opacity of it so it will give it shading or is there a more effective way to do it?

OpFor

Smash Rookie
what heck is ntcompress.exe and textconv.exe is that important if it is where can i find it and was it ment for

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
That cannot be spoken of.

Also, I followed the instrcutions for +1 and +2 filenames but they aren't working.

Can someone explain in depth?

videogames380

Smash Rookie
I downloaded all the programs from the original post, but when I try to start 'GIMP 2' it keeps freezing. anyone know why this might be happening?

I have photoshop working and I can edit some textures. but when I tried to edit parts of Sonic and then get the pcs, it said "if your image has a bigger palette it will corrupt the texture, do you wish to include this texture?" I got the same message when I tried to re-color Lucas' stick in his Side-smash.

so, how would I get GIMP to work and how would I fix the palette problem?

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
ok i am using the new CUPASH that dragonrage posted the link for. it now gives me a system folder however at the start of step 2 it says

"big toonlink6 does not have an indexed palette.
It will be ignored.
press any key to continue."

i continue and it says the same ting for small toonlink6.

what does it mean by an indexed pallette?
I downloaded CUPASH, saw this Mewomix Guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLeVyjb7AFo

Even then, gives me the same message this guy gets, I sue photoshop CS3, also, it either doesn't works with .tga files like that Code Geass texture by Picano, which includes the portraits, it still says it's not indexed when I put it in newfiles, any help please?
Also, at the end it appears that ntcompress is not recognized as an "intern" or "Extern" command, it says it in Spanish so I translated thsoe two things =/

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I've got a problem. ASH refuses to detect ntcompress. I've got both of the files and all the components, but ASH won't work even though ntcompress is inside the ASH folder.

I'm using the Texture Tools period download. I have ASH inside that folder inside the My Documents folder on my PC.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I've made my first texture hack...and it looks lulzy.

I call it Psychadelic Rainbow on drugs Peach XD

(basically I just colored everything a random color)

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
since this thread is back on top...

I recommend you include two programs.

The first is Paint.NET, another free image editor, which I find has a better community than Gimp

http://paint.net/

and

Smashbox, created by Kryal, when you edit the Common5, you can edit a specific charater's CSP, and import your own image into it, so if you only change one texture you can edit the CSP without having to make a 100% new common5 from CUPASH.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238861

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I'm not trying to keep this thread on top lol, I have newer and better threads. This shouldn't have bee bumped but the answers to your questions are:

1. Do you have administrator privileges and is it named exactly ntcompress? (Alphatron)

2. Get GIMP (at Wolfric). Its free.

Now let this thing rest in peace. I'll likely call Almas.

Almas

Smash Lord
Who ya gonna call?

GHOSTBUSTERS!

Locked due to reported redundancy. <3 appropriate use of the feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom