• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Your Own Textures: Download Links and a Small Guide (Updated for legality)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
i finally got stuff to work, but only by erasing (alpha layer), this removed hair and stuff from a +2 file, but i still don't know why some files are saying "erroneous colors" whenever you try and change them...

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
by lucky guessing, i found out how to remove captain falcon's bison from blocking the view of his face, which i found out was shaded instead of being blocked out by the visor, which let me finish off a bit of the texture inside.

but for what i want to accomplish now is create similar transparent textures to remove some unwanted features on toon link's face to make it look more like henry hatsworth. however, upon any editing of toon link's eyebrows or eye parts, ASH fails to compile it, and displays an "erroneous color" error...

ash also has been acting weird, when i've changed henry's face to add a few more details, it compiled with the texture way off of where it should have been, despite working fine before...

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
And for the one I did edit...

total alloc: 129140
total freed: 129140
created tpl 01.tpl

Texture: 01.TEX0
Palette: 01.PLT0
Palette detected.
Start: 20
End: 0

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Quoting, because I got it again. This time for a texture I worked at making, not something so simple.

I uploaded the 2 tga files I edited, I'd like someone to check them out and see why they make the step 2 crash and what I did wrong:
2ND EDIT: I got someone else to work on it.

Williaint

Smash Cadet
Paint their cheek-blush black, the rest of their face white, give them a circle nose, and give them whiskers, or the hello kitty thing is stupid.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
i've finally got transparencies to work on sum stuff, but ASH keeps screwing some things up, and toon link's textures still give me the error...

EDIT:

outside of not being able to edit and apply some of toon links textures, i think ASH wont compile some things correctly BECAUSE IT CORRUPTS FOLDER LOCATIONS

i found this out when moving some files around, the folders would say something was "in use" for folders that you can no longer delete or do anything with, its annoying...

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Just wondering, what is the "proper location" ?
Check the stickied thread.........

i've finally got transparencies to work on sum stuff, but ASH keeps screwing some things up, and toon link's textures still give me the error...

EDIT:

outside of not being able to edit and apply some of toon links textures, i think ASH wont compile some things correctly BECAUSE IT CORRUPTS FOLDER LOCATIONS

i found this out when moving some files around, the folders would say something was "in use" for folders that you can no longer delete or do anything with, its annoying...
If its in use, close any program thats using it.......

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
If its in use, close any program thats using it.......

that's the point, if the folders were not corrupted, it wouldn't matter what program is using it really, besides no program was using the folder or the files in them. i was even currently using a texture with a program that did not have a corrupt folder, and i could still move it without any hiccups. but it sucks cause i can't do anything to the folders now, unless i bothered searching online or something... but i'm 2 lazy

sith12345

Smash Rookie
What do we do with CSPTools? Because I made a texture for Poponana, and it did not work. I put it in the popo folder, and named it FitPopo07.pac, and FitPopo08.psc. The game does not detect my texture. Any Idea why? do I need to use CSPTools?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
So... yeah.

I FREAKING NEED HELP, GUYS.

This thing is NOT working for some characters, and I need to find out why.

Take Sonic, for instance (please)... when I try to run step2_create on it, I get the warning that says...

(maximum colors allowed: 16)
(if your image has a bigger palette, it will corrupt the texture)

If I hit Y, it says...

.../TEX00_08+2 HAS NO PALETTE

Press <enter> to quit.

Now, when I try to index the palette to 16 colors (image > mode > indexed > generate optimum palette 16 colors) and run step2_create, I get the following error:

UNEXPECTED ERROR: This texture has erroneous colors! Press any key to continue.

If I hit a key, the error repeats itself ad infinitum.

If I try to index it again, step2_create just crashes altogether.

I'm begging you guys, now. PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS.
Quoting again for answers.

Haunted

Smash Cadet
My CSP's seem to be not working. After running "Step1_Create", I put all of my .TGA files inside the "New Files" folder, then ran "step2_create". After the program shuts itself off, I get the three folders (Menu, Info, and System), but there is nothing in "Info", only a Portrite folder with nothing inside of it.

sith12345

Smash Rookie
What do we do with CSPTools? Because I made a texture for Poponana, and it did not work. I put it in the popo folder, and named it FitPopo07.pac, and FitPopo08.psc. The game does not detect my texture. Any Idea why? do I need to use CSPTools?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
How to I use GIMP to open and edit my .tga files?
Exactly like that.

(Install Gimp. Go to the .tga file and click "Open with," then select "Choose program from list" and then "Browse." Finally navigate to your Gimp program folder and open the file with Gimp. Done and done.)

Now will someone answer MY question, please?

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Quoting again for answers.
Read ASH readme and it will tell you how to edit +1 and +2 textures.
Oh, and if you are trying to edit Sonic, forget about that 16 colors texture (I think it's the 02 one). It's not an standard texture, the only thing you can do with it is paint it with magenta in order to remove the blue shine in Sonic's head. (This is also explained in the readme.)

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
when im putting the files in the new files folder, do i cut and paste all of the textures, or just the ones i edited? and can you copy and paste as well?

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
Exactly like that.

(Install Gimp. Go to the .tga file and click "Open with," then select "Choose program from list" and then "Browse." Finally navigate to your Gimp program folder and open the file with Gimp. Done and done.)

Now will someone answer MY question, please?

Thanks!

p.s. cool! you use charzard too! :)

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
i just made a kirby texture (jungle kirby) and when i finish step 2, i get these files: header.tmp newpac.tmp newpcs.tmp. what do i do? when i renames the newpcs to FitKirby00.pcs (to replace his pink texture), the game freezes and goes BEEEEEP!

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
The game doesn't have 8 ice climber textures. Also, the files need the same texture number. Try using FitPopo00.pcs and FitPopo00.pac (replaces standard texture)

IC3R

Smash Lord
How do I make costume-specific Kirby Hats? :confused:

[Like if I swallowed Fierce Deity (Toon) Link, Kirby would have a white hat, white eyes, and war paint]

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
How do I make costume-specific Kirby Hats? :confused:

[Like if I swallowed Fierce Deity (Toon) Link, Kirby would have a white hat, white eyes, and war paint]
you'd have to edit the tink hat texture. this means no matter what tink you inhale it would give you the FD tink hat. as far as actual file placement i have no idea

[/unhelpful information]

IC3R

Smash Lord
Okay, so I figured out how to edit Kirby Hats and make them character specific.

Open a PAC that looks like "FitKirbyCharacter##.pac", and edit away! Only problem is that I need the original files (or one that was already hacked) to work upon.

And that is what I'm having trouble finding ~

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Okay, so I figured out how to edit Kirby Hats and make them character specific.

Open a PAC that looks like "FitKirbyCharacter##.pac", and edit away! Only problem is that I need the original files (or one that was already hacked) to work upon.

And that is what I'm having trouble finding ~
Check out my other thread. I have them all in the download for Kirby. It's called Complete PAC List or something

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
i just made a kirby texture (jungle kirby) and when i finish step 2, i get these files: header.tmp newpac.tmp newpcs.tmp. what do i do? when i renames the newpcs to FitKirby00.pcs (to replace his pink texture), the game freezes and goes BEEEEEP!

im asking again...

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I wish someone could post links to the item files (assist trophies and whatnot), i can't find them anywhere online, and I don't have enough space on my comp to rip brawl's disk...

Sukai

Smash Champion
Alex man, I solved my issues with the textures, and aside from texconv and that other thing I must recommend that you add this into you instructions on editing textures.

There will be indexed textures, these specifically need to be indexed with whatever the step 2 create says has maximum colors allowed, only index the ones that say this.
Then there are normal textures, these can stay RGB, however, if you are using gimp, remember to go to Layers>Transparency>Add Alpha Channel.
All normal textures require an alpha channel, or else they won't work.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Check out my other thread. I have them all in the download for Kirby. It's called Complete PAC List or something
HAHAHAH

Yeah, I found that last night without even looking in here xD

I downloaded the FitWario06.pac so I can make a Mr. W texture, but it's being annoying.
I properly edit and index whatever needs such work, but Step2_Create doesn't want to work with the 04WarioEyeIris.tga. It claims that I must have a palette of 64 colors, so I did it. Still doesn't work (- . -)

I've even redone the whole thing and left 04WarioEyeIris alone!!! I think it may be because it's a +2 texture............

Stupid +2 textures :mad:

(I think a similar problem may be occurring with Sir 0rion.)

IC3R

Smash Lord
Apparantly, if you're editting a +2 texture, you aren't supposed to have any transparency. Just remove the alpha channel, and it should be good to go! Alternatively, one can color the thing with Magenta (it will appear as gray, though), since the game can't see it...

EDIT:: Okay, nevermind, still ain't working.........

Alright, el_refugio, what's going on here? I've done everything in the readme, but it's STILL not working :mad:

Sukai

Smash Champion
I just finished a Fox texture, (testing to be done), and he has 3 +1/+2 textures, all I did was index them (edited one of them) and no problems at all.
I don't get it, these things are so inconsistent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom