• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 2010 Video Archives! - Updated 8/14

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Matador

you should be deliberately powershielding those B-airs. He is usually spacing them very predictably, so it's just something you as a player should have adapted to.

You use Cape waaaaaay too early when recovering, and your DI needs work. You have to learn to save Cape when recovering. It's just as essential as your midair jump to conserve when you are nearing the ledge. What Mario should do when recovering is force a ledge getup with the threat of his Up-B, and by Cape Stalling, this allows you to disrupt edgehog attempts.

You should be better about picking U-smash or D-smash as a damage dealer, and you also seemed to forget that powershielding Wolf's laser is an option.

idk I might say more later if I'm not lazy.

EDIT: Oh yeah I do have more to say: GET ON AIM. =)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Matador

you should be deliberately powershielding those B-airs. He is usually spacing them very predictably, so it's just something you as a player should have adapted to.
Honestly, it crossed my mind to try and powershield my way in second match when he was walling me, but I didn't want to eat too much damage doing something I don't fully trust myself with. I figured I could beat it with Usmash or upB OOS, but didn't know for sure...

You're right of course, it's definitely something that I need to work on. Powershielding is always the best option, especially in situations such as those.

You use Cape waaaaaay too early when recovering, and your DI needs work. You have to learn to save Cape when recovering. It's just as essential as your midair jump to conserve when you are nearing the ledge. What Mario should do when recovering is force a ledge getup with the threat of his Up-B, and by Cape Stalling, this allows you to disrupt edgehog attempts.
Yeah, my recovering is a bit wonky in those vids, mostly deliberate though. Trying to mix it up, you know.

For example @ my second stock first match, I used the cape early instead of closer to the stage because I was reluctant to cape too close to him while he's on the ledge with no DJ to use. Had I used my DJ instead, he could've easily dropped a Bair or re-adjusted....whereas, the way I did it, I was able to toss a fireball at him close enough to potentially hit him and secure the ledge before he had a chance to regrab for invincibility frames. Unfortunately, the fireball JUST missed him...otherwise I may have stagespiked him or something.

Hope that makes sense, lol. Either way, it was a blunder...something I should avoid when recovering.

You should be better about picking U-smash or D-smash as a damage dealer, and you also seemed to forget that powershielding Wolf's laser is an option.
Yeah, I was using Usmash a ton because of the priority. I figured I'd need it in those given situations since Wolf generally has higher priority. That, and I'm trying to cut down on Dsmash. Looks like I shaved a little too much of it out of my game, lol.

Either way, overusing Usmash costed me as you can see. Consider your advice taken.

idk I might say more later if I'm not lazy.

EDIT: Oh yeah I do have more to say: GET ON AIM. =)
Lol, please do...I need the objectivity to sculpt my Mario.

And I can't, lol. I've gotta finish this work. Maybe later tonight if you're on though.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
T_T @ the loss...

Still, WOW @ the comeback. I wish I knew the Snake match-up like that.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
I have a bunch of my fights saved on a livestream thing that I'd like to have critiqued, but I dunno how to split them up so that only the fights involving me are actually shown (after I upload it). how do I do that?

Anyway, here's one of the parts, it actually has only matches involving me
ignoring the first bit of the post, the link above is essentially 3 fights between me and a diddy, in succesion. I need criticism of my overall Mario play and (preferably) tips for what I should have been doing/looking for. I don't really have the chance to go to smashfests or tournies often, so I gotta take what I get.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
<--wuz full on srs

Ur Mario is niiiice. Obviously if you can keep up with Flame.

Matt07

Smash Master
I should record some sets, that I've had a while ago, but it'd be with a camera (bad quality!) I gotta stop being lazy and record them/upload them soon...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Great matches Matt, thanks for uploading. What happened to ur DI 2nd match, 2nd stock? lmao

Matt07

Smash Master
It happens when I'm mashing out of a Grab and they throw me so I really have poor DI , LOL.

I have more videos to come as well :).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Vs Luigi...the main thing I just want to say after making that epic new topic of mine.

You gotta play more defensively lol.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The main thing about your playstyle (especially vs Sonic) is that I think you were just using too many dodges (probably because you weren't completely familiar with the character).

Generally vs Sonic, just use a lot of fireballs since you just want to make sure he doesn't run at you with impunity.

Also there were moments like at 4:40 vs that Sonic where I felt you should be more familiar with options after B-air, like at that particular moment, that was a pretty good opportunity to try a bait into D-smash/Jabs. Like it's a legit mindgame to whiff B-air in front of your opponent and D-smash them if they attempt to shieldgrab. B-air -> F-smash is also a useful bait that you should try every so often.

Whenever you Jab cancel, do Jab 1 and Jab 2. Mario has to land his Jabs at the fist to get frame advantage, but usually Jab 1 will put opponents into the fist hitbox of Jab 2, which gets you better frame advantage than Jab 1 anyway and actually will link into D-smash on several characters (Sonic isn't one of them). Even though it isn't a combo, Jab cancel F-smash is actually pretty good (especially near the edge where shield pushback makes the string safe).

A worthwhile trick to do on PS1's rock transformation is getting your opponent into the center part and then doing the Jab combo over and over again until like 70%, which is completely inescapable. Most people don't know of it anyway so there is a good chance they will fall for it.

When juggling, don't always try to go for the U-air. D-air is better at frametrapping the airdodge and IF they manage to dodge it, THEN they will be open for the U-air. Keep in mind, you can SH D-air -> U-air/N-air, which is pretty good for shield pressure.

You don't seem to be comfortable doing SH double B-airs. I dunno why, it's not necessary, but I thought I would point out the option to do that is there.

Against Ness, if he uses PK Thunder to juggle, just Cape or N-air it.

Spacing Cape's disjointed hitbox is very useful against Ness since it has more range than his stuff and dodges his grab easily.

Against both Sonic and Ness, Up-smash KOs them at around 120ish if they don't DI. Don't try to kill them any earlier than that unless you're going for a charged Up-smash. If you have time, learn the timing for the Sliding Up-smash as well (watch Mario's initial dash animation, wait for his feet to hit the ground, and charge Up-smash).

In general you don't turn around enough (like you spotdodge something and you could turnaround U-tilt/Jab/D-smash/Grab for optimal punishes)

That's about all I can think of right now, if you have other questions, hitting me up on AIM is probably the best solution. There is a remote chance I might come back to give a 2nd critique if I'm not lazy, although I can't remember the last time I've done that lol.

SKidd

Smash Master
tl;dr
Also, Encyclopedia Dramatica has A2Z as a tourney***
"A2ZOMG: A delusional Tourney*** that thinks that tiers are made for the lulz. He calls himself a Casual*** because he doesn't have time for tournaments."
LULZ

Top Bottom