• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Is anyone going to the Midwest Circuit event in Springfield OH this weekend? (Other than Xero that is.)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I plan to play Pokemon competitively, I just know nothing about competitive Pokemon (like what are Sweepers, or Tanks or whatever else I read that confuses me.) Dory seems like he knows a lot about Pokemon so I'm gonna bug him :chuckle:.
Sweepers: Pokemon that kill everybody. They come in three types, physical, special, and mixed.

Walls: Pokemon that can stall. They come in physical and special (I don't think I've ever seen a mixed sweeper...). Usually, you want to send out a special wall against a special sweeper and all that.

And really.. that's all you need to know about competitive Pokemon. I guess you also have leads and rapid spinners (pokemon who use the move rapid spin to get rid of Stealth Rocks/Spikes), but they aren't as important.

Really, just go read the guide to competitive battling which can be found in the Poke Center.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Annoyer is another type. Pokemon like SubSeeding Sceptiles, Lead Ambipom's, etc, that just become a pain for opposing players.

Examples of sweepers are Infernape, imo one of two sweepers who can effectively split their attack stats to be used as a very effective mixed sweeper.

Infernape can be used in a variety of ways, as a Physical Sweeper, Special, and Mixed. Mixed being the best. He can also be used as a Lead to set up SR which is very important in this generation of Pokemon.

Bronzong is an example of a wall. His base Defense and base Special Defense stats are the same so he can effectively split his defenses and be used as a sort of mixed wall along with his good base HP stat. His typing (Psychic/Steel) resists/takes neutral a lot of common attack types in the OU metagame and he's probably one of the better walls in the game.

Matt07

Smash Master
Oo dang thanks for the help guys ^_^. I'm going to have to go to the Poke Center to read up on the guides and stuff. At the moment I just got 6 lucky eggs (took me 3 hours!) I'm trying to think of a team, at the moment I want to use Blastoise and an Azelf (because he's in OU tier, lol I'm a tier noob xD) because he's my favourite Pokemon. And the rest I dunno. So basically I'm training for nothing at the moment since I need to breed a perfect EV/IV Squirtle with a good nature. :psycho: God this is crazy.

Matt07

Smash Master
Kirin, that's a pretty good signature. I think it needs your name in the top left corner, just to cover up the white area. But still, really cool siggy.

Abscent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AbscentX
wut?

Smashboards Name: HeroMystic
Birthday: October 23
Height and weight: 5'9 (180lbs)
Current location: Tampa, Florida
Systems you own: Wii, PS3, PS2, PC, DS
Last couple of games you played aside from Brawl: Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Resident Evil 5, Kingdom Hearts
Smash Rival: Abscent!
Next big thing you are looking forward to: Getting a Job so I can fund myself to go to tournies.
LOL!...dude...Cape Coral tourney May 23rd...come down! i need a doubles partner...my diddy is on that fire right now!

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I used to play pokemon on Netbattle >.>

This was my team:

Marowak@Thick Club (Nick named "Boner)
Sword's Dance
Earthquake
I forget the other 2.. basically that's all I needed xD If I maxed out Sword's Dance, earth quake could sweep anything, except for any pokemon with levitate or what not..

Snorlax@Leftovers
Belly Drum
Rest
Snore
Return
I just used belly drum.. then rest... then snore for 2 moves.. then just keep sweepying cause belly drum maxed my attack... this is sort of a mix between sweeper + tank.

Venusaur@Leftovers
Leech seed
Synthesis
Magical Leef
Toxic(or the better move that poisons.. I forget)
This is a tank/annoyer.. Just leech seed, then poison... and watch your opponent slowly die, while every turn you get health back with leech seed + left overs... Synthesis if needed to heal up... and magical leaf never misses :]

Jynx@Leftovers
Mean Look
Perish Song
Attract
Confusion
Jynx was my annoyer/trapper... I start off with attract.. then mean look.. then perish song... and keep spamming confusion til the 3rd round, and I swap out while my opponent dies.

Gengar@Leftovers
Mean Look
Perish Song
Attract
Destiny Bond
Same as Jynx... but Jynx effects guys, Gengar effects girls.. and plus destiny bond is a plus :D

And my last pokemon always changed.. but here's the last one I used:

Umbrean@Leftovers
Baton Pass
Mean Look
Mud-slap
Yawn
This is more of a set up pokemon.. Yawn to make them sleep... mud-slap to effect their accuracy... mean look to trap them.. then baton pass to switch out :]

There's my party.. haven't played in a long time though ><

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This thread lives! Although it involved into a Pokemon chat.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Involved? Don't you mean, EVOLVED?

Bad puns are bad.

Anyway, let's discuss what happens to Mario if MK is banned.

So far, many MKs in my area are picking up D3 in order to be safe in case of a ban. This is very, very, bad for me. This actually sucks. :(

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I don't mind Dedede as much as Meta Knight. But then again, I use Ness for Dedede.
Don't know why, during random friendlies I just used Ness.

Hope it goes well for ya. D:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
But...but...

I don't have a secondary!!!

Honestly, they need to ban D3's standings before MK, but that's just my opinion, it's not even based on the fact that I'm a Mario main, it's just too retartedly gay for a character to have such long grab range (the only thing keeping the Ice Climber's infinates from being banned) and not banning such a thing because it only works on "Certain Characters" which angers me beyond relief.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
The MW hates Mario.

Oh well, I'll get so good at that D3 Matchup that I won't ever get grabbed, while screaming "HE'S-A FIRIN HIS GRABZORZ" for dramatic effect.

Matt07

Smash Master
If MK get's banned D3's and GnW's galore.

Nah, we'll just be seeing a lot more high tier characters in general.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Honestly, I kinda like playing D3 with Mario. If MK was banned I would have no problem at all with the obvious increase in Snake's and D3's. Marth is one of the characters who would benefit most from MK's banning and I kinda like Mario/Marth but I'm a lot better at Link/Marth.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Honestly I'm hit/miss with all of the top tier characters except for Metaknight, who more or less beats me on a consistent basis.

I think there are only a -few- match-ups that I do better with other characters on.

For Jigglypuff, I use Ike.
For GnW, I use Ike.
For DDD, I use Link.

Everyone else I perform better with Mario.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
I love that you mentioned Jigglypuff. :3

Um. I don't use Mario in enough matchups to really have a tough one. D:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Honestly, I haven't had much a problem with D3's either, but none of the ones I've played knew how to infinate Mario. Lul.

I just broke through my weekly feeling of wanting to main Meta Knight, and I'm feeling rejuvinated! (In all honesty, I'm more worried about the Marths and the Lucarios increasing rather than D3)

MARIO FTW.

Famous

Smash Champion
Smashboards Name: Famous
Birthday: April 12th (It was on easter this year)
Height and weight: 5'9" (175lbs)
Current location: Hampton, Virginia
Systems you own: EVERY NINTENDO CONSOLE, PS1, PS2, PSP, Dreamcast, Sega 32x, SegaCD, Sega Saturn
Last couple of games you played aside from Brawl: Tales of Hearts, Pokemon Dungeon Explorers of Darkness, Valkyrie Profile, Digaea Series, Summon Night Series, Legend of Mana series, Super Mario
Smash Rival: Boss8
Next big thing you are looking forward to: APEX, then Genesis, then...the world
What are you doing right now: Looking at the anime "Chrome Shelled Regios"

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
My doubles partner and I look 14 and we're both 18.

While I was voting for a change (lolObama), I had to take out my ID so many times for validation T_T

Bobson will be referred to as "win" from this point forward. This is from the "should MK be banned???!?!???" thread.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I look just like Mario, overalls and all.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285

I... fourth it? Oh well, I agree with the official symbol.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
So I just got home from a tournament that M2K and others attended.

I placed 2nd in Low Tier Singles (Mario, Link) and got to play M2K in Winners and Grand Finals. lol
I placed 7th in the actual tournament (Mario, Link) out of about 32 entrants.

I'll be getting the results later.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Great job, Kirin! Although... you didn't post that in red.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Nice, Kirin. Isn't it true that M2k uses Mario in low tier tournies? I've heard that, but am not sure.

Top Bottom