• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Capeflip

Smash Cadet
Lol. Sadly yea it was a dream (****ing brawl)

The reason I feel Mario isn't great is because brawls physics doesn't complement his moveset

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Yeah, lack of hitsun sucks so much for a combo character. His range sucks, and his damage output is so damn low. Gimping usually only works on other low tiers as well, otherwise you're going to gimp yourself trying to get him

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
This would be good for me if I had a gamecube controller. I'm stuck with the wiimote+nunchuk till I get a classic controller pro
Wait.....You got a wii that doesn't support gamecube controllers?

EDIT: I'm guessing you got a wiiu. I didn't read your post correctly. xD

:pow:

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Dude, I am all about that Mario Kart!

I'd Wifi you guys, but I left my Wii at my college place. I'm at my folks' place for most of the summer :(

BSP

Smash Legend
Man, you guys should've said something when the SWF MKW thread was alive and roaring. Those were some good times.

I'm still always up for MKW though. 4597-0822-7241

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Mario kart wii is ******* evil! Lmao

Anywho.....Fast fall N-air is sexy. It's a great edge-guarding tool against non flying characters.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Lmao. I'm not hating on Mkwii, the game is just evil.
I was apart of a mkwii clan before over at AIB.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Mario kart wii is ******* evil! Lmao

Anywho.....Fast fall N-air is sexy. It's a great edge-guarding tool against non flying characters.

lol a horrible habit i have is when they're above me, i try to short hop nair, and if they dodge or something i panic and try to hit them with fast fall while my nair is still out

What's worst is that I know a bad habit because I do it every single time, and no one punishes me for it so I don't really break out of it

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I see what you mean, Jux.

I use FF Nair when someone is below me trying to aim for the ledge.
as for falco, he mostly recovers from an horizntal angle (Side-b). Nair is broken against falco's side-b.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I never played Guilty Gear before. (smash & mortal kombat has something to do with that)
I need to get myself an xbox now, all the good games be on it. Might wait on the xbox 720 though.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I'd erase the second portion of your comment from existence while you still have the chance. The next gen Xbox is the worst thing that I've ever heard of.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Hey what ever happened to that Mario matchup discussion that Matador and Xero were in?

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I would imagine that it's on hiatus hiatus until one of them musters up the motivation to continue it. I would imagine that it's very hard to make.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I don't play this game anymore and really have no room to discuss anything pertaining to it. :/

I sometimes get on smashboards to lurk this thread, and that's about it.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Mario mains are pretty much on the verg of extinction anyway.
Mario as a character wasn't gonna have much success in a unbalance game from the start.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Mario mains are pretty much on the verg of extinction anyway.
Mario as a character wasn't gonna have much success in a unbalance game from the start.

I guess this is kind of my little way of announcing that I've become a mario main... but he's not completely dead... Being a doc main in melee I decided to hit up brawl since most of my friends play brawl. Switched around a bit. First I mained MK then wolf and now mario just because I find him to be a lot more fun then any of the others. I know that the current meta game leaves mario in the dust and maining MK or wolf would probably be a better investment. Anyway... just letting you know that there are still some new mario mains out there!

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I don't play this game anymore and really have no room to discuss anything pertaining to it. :/

I sometimes get on smashboards to lurk this thread, and that's about it.
Same. And probably the same for a lot of the other old school marios too

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I guess this is kind of my little way of announcing that I've become a mario main... but he's not completely dead... Being a doc main in melee I decided to hit up brawl since most of my friends play brawl. Switched around a bit. First I mained MK then wolf and now mario just because I find him to be a lot more fun then any of the others. I know that the current meta game leaves mario in the dust and maining MK or wolf would probably be a better investment. Anyway... just letting you know that there are still some new mario mains out there!
maining mario is pretty damn hard, I only picked him on match ups where I had a lot of confidence in playing him, or when I knew I was going to get *****. Any time I wanted to win I either went over to Mario's brother or the bird

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
maining mario is pretty damn hard, I only picked him on match ups where I had a lot of confidence in playing him, or when I knew I was going to get *****. Any time I wanted to win I either went over to Mario's brother or the bird
It definitely is... He's more about gimping and being counter aggressive then the usual rack up damage and smash to kill, which is why marth and meta knight are so tempting to switch over too. Playing doc in melee, I'm not foreign to the character. Approaching is basically the same but you have to use different tactics when you actually get a chance to get in on someone.

I have a local tournament tomorrow and I know all of the players... I think I can win one set maybe two depending on whether I derp or not. I know I'm going up against this game and watch who has trouble getting around my back airs. He's the one I think I can beat. Then there's a peach but I don't have enough experience with this guy to see if I can beat him or not but I have a feeling I will. Then there's this olimar who is tough but it'll be close. And finally, this marth and snake who are the best two in our group. I might get close with the snake but the marth I know I can't beat. He knows me to well.

I'll post tomorrow on the results.

----------------

If anyone wants to play, I don't have my wii with me but I have dolphin and I can do netplay through that.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I'm the same on what xero said. New mario mains?! Is it a little too late to be
trying to main maryo when the new smash bros. game is near?

@Jux: You're right on so many levels. Playing with mario (in tourney) is so damn hard.

To me, the fresh mario mains will have a big hill to climb if they wanna reach the level
where us top marios are at now. And when i mean top marios, i mean veterans that put
in 2-4 years into making mario look somewhat mid-tier-ish.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
It definitely is... He's more about gimping and being counter aggressive then the usual rack up damage and smash to kill, which is why marth and meta knight are so tempting to switch over too. Playing doc in melee, I'm not foreign to the character. Approaching is basically the same but you have to use different tactics when you actually get a chance to get in on someone.

I have a local tournament tomorrow and I know all of the players... I think I can win one set maybe two depending on whether I derp or not. I know I'm going up against this game and watch who has trouble getting around my back airs. He's the one I think I can beat. Then there's a peach but I don't have enough experience with this guy to see if I can beat him or not but I have a feeling I will. Then there's this olimar who is tough but it'll be close. And finally, this marth and snake who are the best two in our group. I might get close with the snake but the marth I know I can't beat. He knows me to well.

I'll post tomorrow on the results.

----------------

If anyone wants to play, I don't have my wii with me but I have dolphin and I can do netplay through that.
It's so hard to get in with him, and when you do you get so little for it. Whereas Luigi, when he gets in, he gets work done. Gimping is one of mario's strengths, but that doesn't really mean anything, since gimping is soooooo hard in Brawl, unless its ganon or falcon. If it's an even skill level match, I usually don't even go for the gimp and would rather let them have the ledge so I can ledge guard instead. Same with trying to get in on someone, since Mario gets so little reward for it. I whittle them down with pokes and good spacing, and then wait until they make a mistake before going for a kill. It's weird cuz everytime I lose a close game, I feel like that it's Mario that lost, and not me as a player. And when I do win a close game, I feel that it's due to me having superior spacing and technical skill than my opponent, and not thanks to my Mario.

One of the good things about maining a low tier is that you learn how to use every bit of the character (except mario's dtilt) because our options are so limited. When I switched over to higher tiers, I noticed that I stopped exploring my options a lot because some moves are just simply that good, even if it's predictable. Falco's shorthop retreating d-air, or Marth's retreating f-air for example.

Fthrow, and fireball are Mario's best, and probably underused, or incorrectly used moves.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Ya I felt that at the tourney... mostly I failed as a player. I was messing up my back air spacing and messing up my reads. I lost my first match cause of that. Then I was lucky enough to play against the loser of the two strongest players in the tourney for my second match so I pretty much had no chance after that. I ended up going against the marth that I was worried about for that match and I did better against him then i did with my first match. Had some pretty good edge guard at one point and saved myself from looking like a complete fool :p. But ya, mario is tough to play well with and if it weren't so fun to play him I would have quit after that. I'll be mostly working on my doc in melee but if a brawl tourney comes around I''ll be playing mario.

Top Bottom