• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Discussion: OP is a bad person

rpotts

Smash Lord
holy crap is this thing useful, it has a nice hitbox, can be used to spike, has a drill motion that is inescapable, basically starts every mario combo etc.

2. Do a Dair, Tap up twice during the dair, you should do a uair.

bolded: no. DI

2. Wut? I didn't know tapping up did aerials.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
oh, right, it's just i was practicing it in a training mode and of course it's escapable with DI against a HUMAN opponent.

and yes, amazingly enough, it does.

#HBC | ѕoup

what are you whatting about, how the dair>uair works or something else?

words, let me have them.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I think he means: "What?! This guide is based on experiences versus computer players rather than against humans?"

And if not then that's what I'm thinking.

rpotts

Smash Lord
I think he's whatting about what I'm whatting about. Tapping the control stick does NOT do aerials.
Also, what ciaza said.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Ah yes, on a re-read I would change my guess to say that he was whatting about what rpotts is whatting about, and now I find myself whatting too.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Haha, when I whatted, he hadn't edited his post and "escapable" was "inescapable", and the other whats resulted in a giant WHAT.

#HBC | ѕoup

I think he means: "What?! This guide is based on experiences versus computer players rather than against humans?"

And if not then that's what I'm thinking.
nope. it's based on experiences with both.
i made this WHILE i was in training mode practicing.

I think he's whatting about what I'm whatting about. Tapping the control stick does NOT do aerials.
Also, what ciaza said.
Ah yes, on a re-read I would change my guess to say that he was whatting about what rpotts is whatting about, and now I find myself whatting too.

try it yourself, it's how i do them, either you're doing it wrong or i'm doing it wrong, perhaps try pressing up at a better time, or something, it works for me.

rpotts

Smash Lord
nope. it's based on experiences with both.
i made this WHILE i was in training mode practicing.

try it yourself, it's how i do them, either you're doing it wrong or i'm doing it wrong, perhaps try pressing up at a better time, or something, it works for me.
this

10this

I'm not going to let someone tell me that the control stick alone does aerials. That's what the A button is for

inb4 R DUZ AIREALS

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
No we were confused because:

2. Do a Dair, Tap up twice during the dair, you should do a uair.
You left out the part where you pressed A to do a uair. All you did was state that if you tap Up on the joystick you would do an aerial.

Hence the whatting.

EDIT: rpotts beat me to it.

I think he just made an honest mistake rpotts so I say let him slide.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Of course i will "let it slide" lol. But we called him out, and he solidified his statement. He claimed that hitting up alone does an uair, which it most definitely does not.

Sorry supa didn't mean to be a ****.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Then all is well! Though it is getting rather on topic.

So how about that short hop fair>uair ?

You need quick fingers for that **** right there.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Can you short hop dair-uair? or uair-uair? the timing is similar, though fair may need to be closer to frame perfect, I believe it lasts longer than uair (maybe dair)

Just get the fair out as soon as you leave the ground, almost like you are shine canceling. Well, really, like you are shine canceling. Just enough to leave the ground, no more, no less, otherwise you may buffer the attack and empty hop.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Dair>uair is piss easy, uair>uair is mildly harder but still easy. I dunno, I guess I'm just weird with that one. Thanks for the advice, looks like I need to hit the Training Mode gym.

#HBC | ѕoup

it's alright, i made some flawed errors in my post since it was sort of rushed, yeah, forgot to add to press a, and also cancel it.

merry christmas bros.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Fair uair is easier than dair uair for sure. Uair uair is the easiest.

I don't know how you guys do dair uairs so easily that's like the hardest thing in the game I swear.

dandan

Smash Lord
Fair uair is easier than dair uair for sure. Uair uair is the easiest.

I don't know how you guys do dair uairs so easily that's like the hardest thing in the game I swear.
says the guy who does shine usmashes.

probably drop cancelling is the hardest thing in this game (at least that is useful) but i doubt anyone could really be competent with it.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Drop cancelling is easy with jiggs. At least in training mode, ingame it's another story. And I find dair to uair difficult too with mario =/.

Do you have to slide the finger from c to a? Or just quickly press one then the other?

rpotts

Smash Lord
I can't short hop accurately when I button slide, so I only really use button sliding for DJC and shine canceling. I just lightly tap C then A in quick succession. Same for SHDL

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Dair to uair is one of the easiest Mario techs ever

Double uair is slightly harder, but still easy.

Fair or bait to uair is kinda tough for me. Only one I done feel comforatable doing in matches. I can do it alright in training mode but it's toughin match.

Lol ballin, how is it that we have the exact opposite opinions. Get on that dair uair

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I can't short hop accurately when I button slide, so I only really use button sliding for DJC and shine canceling. I just lightly tap C then A in quick succession. Same for SHDL
This is the second hardest part.

The hardest part of dair uair is timing the uair correctly. With fair uair and uair uair I know exactly when the fair or uair will end, but with dair it is different depending on how many hits of the dair hit the opponent.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I can only short hop with sliding while shdl, but I can't with anything else =/.

So it is possible without sliding?

And ballin, why you have to time the uair? Can't you just spam a?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
And ballin, why you have to time the uair? Can't you just spam a?
Can you? yes.

Should you? no.

Same answer applies when asking if you should mash z to zcancel, or just time it.

Both solutions work (for mashing a), but you use excess energy + concentration to mash the button which usually ends up either

• more likely to miss the zcancel
  • be holding z for too long after the uair and thus shield roll or be inhibited by the shield to keep continuing the combo
  • being generally less versatile coming out of the mash, and thus more likely to make a mistake continuing the combo.

Its also just plain better form not to mash.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
why d-air and not u-air

imo u-air has more nuances and combo usage than d-air

i could probably type an essay on how huge mario's u-smash is

Sangoku

Smash Master
For the mashing thing, I have the bad habit of always doing it. Now I don't mash z-cancel as much as before and I can SHDL accurately.

I guess I still have to train the timing for Mario...

edit: I tried a bit to slide and it's not so hard to short hop =). Also it's not possible to short hop double fireball is it?

#HBC | ѕoup

th3kuzinator said:
Double uair is slightly harder, but still easy.

Fair or bait to uair is kinda tough for me. Only one I done feel comforatable doing in matches. I can do it alright in training mode but it's toughin match.

Odd, Fair or bai
t
R to uair is easiest to me.

i'm trying to do bair>dair, but i can't seem to get it down, hell, you think a dair>bair would be possible?

edit: no. it's not.

here's another question, why the hell can't we do a dair>fair?

i mean, you would think it'd be the same principle for the dair>uair, but it's not.

get at me.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Do you actually get more air time? I mean obviously you stay in the air longer but since everything slows down with you, do you actually get more time to attack as well?

Top Bottom