• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
Come'on guys the fludd isnt that bad if you do it after you jab lock it can be really effective.
Not bad, but old. Also, Sunshine isn't in the minds of everyone right now. I could see him getting something from one of his more recent games, but I don't think anything will come from his old library. (Although, I want to see the hammer implemented.)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Fludd is old news. Galaxy is the new thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mario Tornado came back with a new Galaxy tweak.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
The move is still pretty useless if it doesn't even damage your opponents.
I dont think squirtle's water gun damages his opponents either but it can be still pretty effective. the fludd to me is all about strategy and f.i.h.l is very essential in my game plan strategies however if it were to get switched for something better like the hammer then i wouldnt mind much

jigglover

Smash Lord
I dont think squirtle's water gun damages his opponents either but it can be still pretty effective. the fludd to me is all about strategy and f.i.h.l is very essential in my game plan strategies however if it were to get switched for something better like the hammer then i wouldnt mind much
There is only one instance I use FLUDD (or maybe two) effectively. FLUDD doesn't snap a character out of helplessness, so if you wait for them to use their up B, and before the grab the ledge or is going for the stage, hit them with FLUDD, and they can't recover. If you manage this, then it is impossible not be fatal. The other time, would be a character with entirely horizontal or recovery (or almost completely) like DK, Bowser or Link. If you hit them when they're at the bottom of the screen since it falls down and pushes them horizontally, then it will be difficult for them to recover as well. It's not quite as useless as you think!

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Just because FLUDD doesn't do any damage, it isn't useless. Like I said earlier, it can be fun in 4 player FFA.

I think that FLUDD is a part of Mario history and thus shold be included in his moveset. I don't see a good reason neglecting Sunshine.

jigglover

Smash Lord
This is true, so I say, give Bowser junior the shadow mario transformation when he gets into smash (he can steal it off of Piantissimo the second, don't worry) and then give Mario a Galxy-esque down+B, everyone's happy!

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
This is true, so I say, give Bowser junior the shadow mario transformation when he gets into smash (he can steal it off of Piantissimo the second, don't worry) and then give Mario a Galxy-esque down+B, everyone's happy!
NO SHADOW MARIO. Why throw in a transformation into a character we already have on the roster? Make it a taunt or a Shadow Mario Alt Costume for Mario but don't ad it on to his actual moveset.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just because FLUDD doesn't do any damage, it isn't useless. Like I said earlier, it can be fun in 4 player FFA.

I think that FLUDD is a part of Mario history and thus shold be included in his moveset. I don't see a good reason neglecting Sunshine.
It's not like Sunshine references have to be restricted to Mario though. Princess Peach wears a sleeveless dress in that game.

jigglover

Smash Lord
NO SHADOW MARIO. Why throw in a transformation into a character we already have on the roster? Make it a taunt or a Shadow Mario Alt Costume for Mario but don't ad it on to his actual moveset.
Taunt = Ganondorf's sword.

More people will be happy with the transformation than disappointed, and it would be neat. Especially if you get your way and Sheik gets cut and Impa gets in, to carry on the gimmick it's either shadow mario or Meloetta! :troll:

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Ah, Piantissimo... I had almost forgot about him. Great character.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Taunt = Ganondorf's sword.

More people will be happy with the transformation than disappointed, and it would be neat. Especially if you get your way and Sheik gets cut and Impa gets in, to carry on the gimmick it's either shadow mario or Meloetta! :troll:
Not comparable: Ganondorf's Sword is something he always fights with but for some idiotic reason isn't used in his moveset. Shadow Mario is something he used for a small part of one game that didn't serve as anything but a disguise.

Plus it wouldn't add anything to the roster being that he transforms into another character already on it. That's just one more clone to add in. At least the other characters with transformations expand the roster. What purpose does Shadow Mario serve exactly?

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Not comparable: Ganondorf's Sword is something he always fights with but for some idiotic reason isn't used in his moveset. Shadow Mario is something he used for a small part of one game that didn't serve as anything but a disguise.

Plus it wouldn't add anything to the roster being that he transforms into another character already on it. That's just one more clone to add in. At least the other characters with transformations expand the roster. What purpose does Shadow Mario serve exactly?
Ganondorf didn't even have a sword in Ocarina of Time, and his Melee character was based of his OOT incarnation. He only had a sword during one of his victory poses, they just pasted this formula for Ganondorf into Brawl. Despite him having a sword in Twilight Princess.

And who's to say Shadow Mario needs to be a clone, i can see him use his Magic Paintbrush for a moveset. Though it was never shown in Sunshine the Paintbrush was capable of any fighting abilities, just shooting slime. Not to mention Shadow Mario had the exact same playstyle mechanic as Mario.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Thanks you Pichu, I'm looking for a quick move-set I made on the bowser junior thread for shadow mario entirely unique from mario. Turns out it was just a final smash:
For final smashes, I was thinking for shadow mario, he could call upon the phantamanta (fought on the first level of sirena beach in super mario sunshine) to uh... swim? around the stage for 20 seconds, and shadow mario could attack it and make it split in half etc. like in super mario sunshine, but the phantamanta still gets smaller when you attack it. The size of the phantamanta depends on the size of the stage you are on, so it would be much smaller on big blue than on new pork city, where it would have to be giant.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Ganondorf didn't even have a sword in Ocarina of Time, and his Melee character was based of his OOT incarnation. He only had a sword during one of his victory poses, they just pasted this formula for Ganondorf into Brawl. Despite him having a sword in Twilight Princess.

And who's to say Shadow Mario needs to be a clone, i can see him use his Magic Paintbrush for a moveset. Though it was never shown in Sunshine the Paintbrush was capable of any fighting abilities, just shooting slime. Not to mention Shadow Mario had the exact same playstyle mechanic as Mario.
I just assumed from the Melee pose. True he didn't use it in OoT but he did in this
But Ganondorf also fought using only projectiles in that game but yet we have none of those as his specials. But now 2/3 of his appearances use a sword so I think it's in order.

I guess that could work but I'd still rather see Junior himself use the paintbrush mainly cause I find Junior's personality entertaining.

Diversity

Smash Rookie
I just assumed from the Melee pose. True he didn't use it in OoT but he did in this
But Ganondorf also fought using only projectiles in that game but yet we have none of those as his specials. But now 2/3 of his appearances use a sword so I think it's in order.

I guess that could work but I'd still rather see Junior himself use the paintbrush mainly cause I find Junior's personality entertaining.
I just want to point out, Link and Ganondorf were both based off of their designs from the Space World 2000 Gamecube tech demo. Not the OoT designs.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Are we still talking about mario here? Anyways shadow mario seems like a bad idea simply because there is so much other potential out there why waste it on a potential clone I mean really besides super mario sunshine shadow mario has not played a significant role in any mario game lately. If anything he should atleast be some thing bowser jr. Does similar to when kind dedede throws waddle dee bowser jr can throw a clone at enemies

jigglover

Smash Lord
Well, I think the cosmic clones are supposed to resemble shadow mario. Anyone else think that?
In terms of move-set, he was mario golf: toadstool tour for the gamecube.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think I need to remind people that this thread is about Mario only. The last set of posts were too off-topic.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Well, I think the cosmic clones are supposed to resemble shadow mario. Anyone else think that?
In terms of move-set, he was mario golf: toadstool tour for the gamecube.

If you're going to base his moves off a spinoof golf game then i see no reason why he should be in the game to begin with. Id much rather see him as an alt costume or a subspace 2 enemy.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
And back to mario, shall we?

Now, I think they should keep the Brawl engine's U-air (the U-air was better to combo with in brawl) and give him the starspin from galaxy.
Imagine the tornado being faster, doing one hit and sending the opponent in a more horizontal direction.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I want Mario to use more moves that utilize his pyro-kinises maybe if you shoot a fire ball then do a SJP itd have some fire knock-back.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
What if he had a 5 second charge move to where if he held it the entire time, could shoot 7 rapid fire balls, like Super Mario RPG?

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I'm still thinking about that darn tornado. Give it shine-ish properties by making it faster and able to slide.

What if he had a 5 second charge move to where if he held it the entire time, could shoot 7 rapid fire balls, like Super Mario RPG?
Cool idea, but I think it would be better if it were only four.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
A quick spin, like the one from Galaxy, would have been cool. Could replace his Nair.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Not every character needs to get a moveset overhaul every game. Mario's Melee moveset was just fine, and I don't see any reason to change anything but the properties of his moves. He's to Smash Bros. what Ryu is to Street Fighter - other characters may be cut or changed, but he stays consitent throughout each game.

satan666

Smash Apprentice
Mario with power-ups in his use?

You know how samus can become zero suit samus and zelda can become sheik? What if mario can have assess to certain power-ups with an completely diffrent moveset? I been thinking flower for defense (but they would have to change his defualt ssmash/neub though), frog for offense, and reccon for all around/areial game. If you're intrested in this idea feel free to read the moveset ideas.

And the command input can be down taunt

frog suit

I always imagine he could be a melee fighter, I don't know why but I just do (probaly cause of battletoads/tmnt).

First I like to say melee hit sfx would fit him perfectly.

ftilt same animation but hits you more forward

dtilt have a little more knockback and hits you back (to set up a bair combo)

usmash pretty much like project m's lucario usmash but a single hit.

ssmash mario's ssb64 ssmash

nair that summersolt ball spinning thing (that pikachu/mk/sonic)

bair mario melee bair

uair be weaker and quicker so It can gimp recoveries and combo set ups

dair close and stretch out legs

fair have the animation move little bit more side ways and hits more forward

recovery he pops out of water then goes straight up and not in special fall but can't use up-b till you touch the ground

side b pop out of water then pretty much act like zzs down b when footstooling

down b swim you get the picture its just like pm lucario down b but swimming

b water plam for gimping recovery

for throw just his melee throw
flower

flower

I say this will be more defensive

nair muti strike flame whell

fair flame kick

uair judguling three fireballs

usmash a smaller version of ho-oh fire spin

ssmash mario melee ssmash (duh)

b fireballs (with more pressure)

side b alternate grab move with fire links,bthrow throws them downards, fthrow goes around once then realease

recovery same but attack being a mix of luigi's and metaknights up b

down b fire helicopter

raccoon

I now see that most of his a moves will end up as tails from ssf2 but whatever,

Tell me what you think?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I was thinking about alternate costumes (yes I love alternate costumes) which change Mario's playstyle a bit.
For example Fire Mario increases fireball's power, Tanooki Mario will make him able to jump a lot higher (making him less heavy though), Dr. Mario is slower, Shadow Mario is faster, Bee Mario can fly a little bit...
Changing the moveset though would be complicate.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Alternative costumes that change combat mechanics doesn't seem like a good idea because you're fixed to a colour in teammatches.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Alternative costumes that change combat mechanics doesn't seem like a good idea because you're fixed to a colour in teammatches.
Every costume could have 4 colors like in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, not really a problem.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@vintage
The thing with that though is that match ups would have to take each individual costume into account. Mario vs link would have 16 different statistical outcomes. Plus dittos would no longer be about who knows the character better/who has more skill (if the players are about even) but who picked the better costume.
:phone:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It seems to me people don't understand what an alternate costume is. Costumes are(or should be) bascially just model swaps for a character. No costume should include a change in moveset. What you people seem to be looking for are called "EX-Modes", where characters have an alternate moveset in additiion to their regular one. They used to be fairly common in fighters, but nowadays I think ASW is the only company who makes use of them.

Now as for Mario specifially, I reiterate:
Not every character needs to get a moveset overhaul every game. Mario's Melee moveset was just fine, and I don't see any reason to change anything but the properties of his moves. He's to Smash Bros. what Ryu is to Street Fighter - other characters may be cut or changed, but he stays consitent throughout each game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
That's not written anywhere. Alternate costumes should be? They can be whatever Sakurai wants, if it works. If you don't like alternate costumes as definition, fine, I'll use EX-Modes lol.
Anyway what I said wasn't about the moveset, was only about stats like attack/speed. I don't really think that an alternate faster Mario with a different costume would be much of a problem for the game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yes, Sakurai could make the game any damn way he wants. But just because he could do something doesn't mean he should.

An alternate costume, in my opinion, should be nothing more than a model swap. If you wanted to include an EX-mode for a character that changes the properties of his moves(and maybe also changing his model), that's fine. But don't call it a costume swap, because that's not what it is.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Is it just me who didn't like using F.L.U.D.D in the last game? I preferred his old Down-Special.
No, it wasn't just you. As much as I love Sunshine, FLUDD didn't need to be added to Mario's moveset, and I expect it to be gone in the next game.

Top Bottom