• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

BSP

Smash Legend
One more thing: can the cape's momentum reversing properties stale? i know the damage does, but it'd be good to know if it can

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Don't forget to pummel, if given the chance.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
what does uncooked nades mean?? lol

and last time i tried caping the nades, it set them off instead -.-
Yeah, you have to reverse cape the nades, otherwise the cape will set them off as you said. As long as you're not worried of the Snake player stripping your nades, that's fine as well; but nades are only a very small part of a big problem. Throwing/Caping/FLUDDing nades for the whole match will not help, you're playing into his hands because he gets to set the battlefield.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I know that, the nades are only meant to be giving you fear while most players spend 8 mins trying to avoid a nade when they miss very good openings, they should be ignoring it (also using other options as said before >.>)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
FLUDD cannot be B-Reversed. He can only cape -> FLUDD for a minor recovery option.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
fffffffffff there goes that recovery plan.

does anyone know the timing for the alternate cape glide where instead of glding, he falls straight down and onto the ledge.

I call it cape dropping, but idk what the mario boards call it.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I've done that a few times by accident. It usually happens if you go for the glide too early. Not sure how precise it needs be.

Famous

Smash Champion
I just call it an FCG (failed cape glide) or fsc...The timing is hard to explain. Regular quick ledge hogging is better though

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
IIRC, the cape hitbox still comes out, so it can be used as a cape + speed hug at the same time.

I guess it depends on the situation, though I'd prefer it over a normal speed hug on characters who have projectiles.

Thanks though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This. Fludd and Fireballs, and go for some damage when you get an opening. Dont be on the offensive, just be patient.

Does anyone ever use mario's B throw? By the time it can kill, his up throw gets the job done better.
Mario's B-throw kills people at approximately 140-180 from near the ledge when fresh (assuming proper DI and depending on your weight class)

I never use Mario's U-throw as a kill move. I alternate between that and F-throw as damage dealers when D-throw starts becoming useless for combos. One of my favorite combos is D-throw -> regrab + pummel -> U-throw. It only does 17%, but it's fun and flashy.

Personally me, I think it's much more worthwhile to spam Mario's B-throw for damage at mid percents than use it as a KO move, since U-smash for the most part outclasses it as an out of shield KO move. However against lightweights, it can be more worthwhile as a pocket KO move, in which case you will see me use F-throw and U-throw a lot more to save that throw. It's outclassed by Luigi's B-throw in this game however, which kills approximately 15-20% earlier on average.

Now in Balanced Brawl, Mario's B-throw kills EVERY character before 130% (not to mention his super buffed D-smash and U-smash).

Now I want to ask Mario users something else. How well do you keep track of stale moves? The magic number for unstaling a move is something like using 9-10 different attacks. Mario is one of the most heavily affected characters by stale moves, which is key to the success of his juggles, and also hinders him a lot if he uses a KO move too early. It's extremely important for Mario in particular to pay attention to how much damage his opponent has before using certain moves.

If you want to kill with something like U-tilt however, there really shouldn't be a huge problem with stale moves, since by the time you get your opponent to like 160-180ish percent when it kills reliably, you probably will have spammed a ****load of other moves after doing your U-tilt juggle from 7-30% or something.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Personally I do exactly what you said Marios should. I glance at my opponents %s and analyze what would be the best move to hit with at the time. Every first hit of mine will be connected to another.

I wouldn't exactly say I keep track of my stale moves, but I do keep it in mind. I wont use Fsmash if it won't kill/set up nice edge-guard. I wont use Usmash at mid %s. Etc. I always pummel as much as possible as well.

Zatman

Smash Rookie
I'm having a bit trouble against Wario, i have figured out other players strategies, Warios attack range and so on.
We usually have very balanced matches nowdays.
Only problem i have with Wario is that this opponent keeps spamming his N-air all the time, he usually lands in front of me, shield and grabs or does another n-air.
He doesn't walk at all really.
I guess there is something i can do but timing must be very hard.

This far i have figures few ways to counter it, but it still keeps bugging me.
-OOS U-B (Too risky, but i am still new to this one. I usually miss and taste Warios F-Smash)
-D-air (This is good to keep Wario in a bay, but doesn't really solve problem)
(Shield-grab seems not to work, Warios grab speed is too fast)

I guess this is only major problem i have with this Wario, any tips?

E:Thanks for advices, i'll try them and see if they aid me.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I disagree with that; it's too difficult to reflexively and consistently time a Usmash to hit a move such as Wario's Nair, I'd expect him to have anticipated it otherwise.

I would rather opt for a Utilt to try and catch him out of it. I would also suggest to maintain a relatively slow ground game so you always have this option available. This is under the assumption that he's trying to land on top of you, of course. If he's landing in front purposely with no intention to hit you, then I suggest using an Ftilt to get him out of there.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I use N-air out of shield a lot against people who pressure me a lot. It's a very useful gtfo move that I think is 1 frame faster than Up-smash out of shield.

I think that would help you Zatman.

Javon89

Smash Ace
Hey I've got a good question, how is a very smart way to play a Marth on Wi-fi with Mario. Do I camp, play defensively, or get him off-stage as quickly as possible. Or all of the above?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Camp him.

Camping wins on wifi. Fireball him like a *****, and sheildcamp whenever he gets close.

Famous

Smash Champion
Is it a good idea to use the cape to screw up aerial approach?
Yes it is..Also, Caping someone after reading they're 2nd jump puts them in a critical situation...They will either try to DI away from you to use there UpB or they will use it instantly...If they decide to save it I would just follow them offstage and cape them again...They really cant do anything about it

DeDeDaang

Smash Rookie
Hey, i've noticed that a Cape **** exists on sheik, sorta. When sheik's Up B is caped, from the beginning of it's execution, sheik will not only teleport the opposite direction, but quite far due to the cape's momentum boost. I've implemented this a couple of times, and noticed that it would almost always result in a gimp if done right. Is this known? If not, its cool. do it.

BSP

Smash Legend
Camp him.

Camping wins on wifi. Fireball him like a *****, and sheildcamp whenever he gets close.
This, fireballs work wonders on Wifi. I think stutter step F smash actually outranges his f smash as well, so you should always have an opportunity to punish. Remember that you have FIHL too if he spams aerials a lot. Marth's options are pretty limited when he's above you.

waterfall6464

Smash Cadet
I have a question.

Does jab jab ftilt work on every character?
Also when should I press down in the jab combo to cancel it the easiest?

tankzortz

Smash Apprentice
whats a good approach for mario? like if hes using fireballs or attempting to use some grabs

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I have a question.

Does jab jab ftilt work on every character?
Also when should I press down in the jab combo to cancel it the easiest?
I have confirmed that it does not work on characters in the 6th column. Namely Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Captain Falcon. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it's unblockable against everyone.

Also, pressing down actually makes the combo take a frame longer since it buffers a crouch action. Only do this for repeated Jab cancels.

Just practice the timing a lot in your spare time. That's all there really is to it.

whats a good approach for mario? like if hes using fireballs or attempting to use some grabs
Grabbing people after using fireballs is usually a good strategy. SH D-air is super good on shielding opponents since it is safe on block and cancelable into a N-air or U-air. Move behind your opponent when you SH D-air them, and if your opponent it still shielding after the U-air/N-air connects, you can Jab them, and it will be faster than any out of shield option that they can do unless they happen to be a character with a really good upB out of shield.

Mario's approach however is best done via baiting your opponent.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
why are boss and famous marios so fast?
i mean...it's rediculous^^

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-Because, perhaps they should be Sonic's x9 , they're fast but that's all...being fast is not always a good option ;)-

BSP

Smash Legend
What's the best way to momentum cancel with Mario? What do you guys do after a fast falled aerial?

Matt07

Smash Master
For horizontal purposes u-air, then immediately Double Jump. For vertical purpose, d-air, or u-air? I seriously don't know which is the best for vertical, but those are your best options.

Top Bottom