• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

Matt07

Smash Master
Because your views on a character, can effect your game. IE: Mario is trash, you will play according to your view on a character. Negative mindset usually=Negative results.

But it isn't good thinking Mario is the best character in this game either.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Like D3.

I have wayyyy too much confidence in Mario, sometimes I should really just CP to Metaknight. (At my last tourney, I went Mario against Chewyy's DDD! 2-stocked wdf... then I beat him a game with MK, then I went back Mario AND LOST!)

And uh... yeah. I can't do the Diddy matchup very well either, D: Anybody wanna help me out?

Matt07

Smash Master
Some characters, with good enough prediction, can completely lock down a Mario.
That is true too. Pick up a secondary, when needed. I face a Diddy here, and I just spam Cape a lot *shrugs*, and I mix up my aerials, we always go toe-to-toe, it's a fun match :).

Just a really really basic gist of what I do lol.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Anyone have any knowledge/analysis on Mario in doubles? I all I know is that he can rack up damage, fireball camp and maybe stock tank.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
...Oh, spamming cape doesn't work around here.

They all know how to beat Mario, it's scary.
That's because Indiana is filled with scrub Marios. I was talkning with someone--VaMP I think--about some scrub tourney they went to recently with 4-5 Mario mains. Ridiculous.

On another note, I also have a question. How do you grab with Mario? I'm terrible at it. I always mess up a shield grab and get hit, or I just grab too far away and get hit. I'm trying to work on my combo-ing abilities and grabs are a big part of that. Any advice?

Famous

Smash Champion
Jab-grab or Jab-Jab-Grab usually works...

Wouldn't advise doing it on people that like to counterattack right after being touched in any way...Shield Grab afterwards would be better or better yet, walk away and wait for them to attack the air, rofl...

Oh yea, Utilt-Utilt-Pivot grab still works...Works too well actually. Doesn't work at 0% on some characters such as Fox and Falco, grab after the 1st Utilt...

Don't be afraid of getting hit trying to go for a grab...Just play around with it to see what type of reaction you get out of your opponent

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the cape spam, depends on how you spam it...I use it to stall and to ledge guard. I also do pivot cape sometimes instead of going for a pivot grab after an Utilt...It really throws people off.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey what would be the way for Snake to edgeguard Mario? I am wanting information from three heights. High, the side, and below.

thank you!

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Do you guys play with tap-jump on or off? I have in on atm, but I wonder if aerial combos and tilts would be easier with it off...

BSP

Smash Legend
If you're not used to mashing up on the control stick when u tilting or u airing, tap jump shouldn't affect your comboing.

UberMario

Smash Master
Could/Did someone do frame data for Mario's FAir?

Whenever I use it directly after running off the edge of a platform, there's a noticable difference in startup lag when compared to it's normal use. (It's very visible and makes the attack appear quicker)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The difference is you're not wasting 6 frames doing a jump. The attack itself hits on frame 16.

UberMario

Smash Master
The difference is you're not wasting 6 frames doing a jump. The attack itself hits on frame 16.
Hmm, perhaps that's it, but I could have sworn I've done FAirs without jumps and still seen it not initiate as fast as doing it after going over the edge.

Drift108

Smash Apprentice
Hey im new to the mario boards and I'm planing on maining mario,

But is there any use of marios dtilt what so ever?

(im new to mario so please dont troll me or something :-( )

BSP

Smash Legend
It does have decent range i guess, but you almost always have a better move to use than d tilt.

Look at the thread for it.

Famous

Smash Champion
It's too good...I originally introduced alot pivot **** into his metagame...

Just...don't overuse it on a smart player...or an MK =/

I just wish his grab had a little more range to it...It's fine the way it is though...Utilt-Pivot grab still works like charm...

Famous

Smash Champion
That's not what I mean't...I'm talking about set-ups that uses it...Utilt-Pivot Jab-Pivot...Etc...So many thingsderived from from a simple set-up which is amazing

Boofy!

Smash Champion
few quick questions.. is the timing different for doing the reverse cape momentum thingy? sorry i don't know the name of the AT lol.. I've been trying it on Bf platforms where i know it works but i can't seem to get it.. i've done it a few times but it's always such a weak boost it's hardly worth it..

also is Fair to jab lock guaranteed granted they don't tech it? i don't think it is at all, but i'd figured I would ask, I've gotten a jab lock from Nair more often than Fair

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
few quick questions.. is the timing different for doing the reverse cape momentum thingy? sorry i don't know the name of the AT lol.. I've been trying it on Bf platforms where i know it works but i can't seem to get it.. i've done it a few times but it's always such a weak boost it's hardly worth it..
Cape Dash.

The timing isn't different actually. It's actually the same as doing a cape glide, except you're adding on B-reversal to turn yourself around. Try Cape Glide first to get to maximum boost, then go for Cape Dash.

also is Fair to jab lock guaranteed granted they don't tech it? i don't think it is at all, but i'd figured I would ask, I've gotten a jab lock from Nair more often than Fair
It's not guaranteed, and largely depends on percentage since F-air has a good amount of knockback. Keep in mind though F-air does have auto-cancel frames which allows you to fast-fall after hitting with the move. Though I wouldn't focus on Jab-locking and go for Tech-chasing.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
What would you say is the best time to attempt a sliding usmash against an an opponent? I've found it can be effective at punishing ledge getups and rolls. Is there anything else? Any other openings you watch for with your opponent?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Off the top of my head:

-Get Up attacks
-Air Dodge punishment
-Out spacing aerials
-Tech-Chasing after F-air

A2Z probably has more since he's a big advocate of it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly those are in fact the best uses I have for the Sliding Up-smash currently.

One more use is that you can use the Sliding Up-smash to cross someone over. Requires REALLY good prediction/conditioning/observation since obviously...it will fail if they hit you out of it or if you mis-space it.

The Sliding Up-smash works best on characters that don't have projectiles to interrupt it furthermore.

But anyhow something fundamentally more important occurred to me after many whiffed attempts to pull off the Sliding Up-smash in serious matches. Charging Up-smash with Mario is AMAZING in general. The great range and really fast charge release...and the potential to kill characters 20-30% earlier than normal with it is seriously godlike for punishing all sorts of commitments in general.

SUPER MARIOWNED

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! I'mma new person to the forums and I've noticed that this section has been kinda dead for like... three years. Don't get angry at me if I bring it back to life!
I've gotta question:
Is it wrong for me to want to play Mario in my own unique style?

In other words, I've always disliked 'idolizing' someone elses skill, and consistantly refuse to imitate anyone else specifically. I've gotta make it up on my own, and though I'm aware that options are limited, I still feel comfortable this way!
'Cause my goal is to be the BEST (or at least, one of the best) competative Mario brawlers around!
One thing's for sure -- FLUDD. I've consistantly been experimenting with FLUDD from the get-go! I've used him for follow-throughs with meteor smashes (though a fireball actually locks 'em right in the air where I want them), stalling aerial attacks and basically other mindgame-like techniques that I seem to find myself doing instinctively.
I'mma show ya' how great FLUDD can be someday! But for now...
I've kinda drifted off'a my question!

Yeah, so is it completely wrong that I've wanted to adapt a playstyle of my own? That I want to be unique and learn at my own pace? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a word of advice here and there of what to expect from a match-up or a counter pick, but I'll be ignorant if it's a suggestion of entirely changing my playstyle.
I believe that I am a decent Mario brawler. Many tell me that I'm super good whereas I believe that I've still gotta get some tourney experience under my belt before I could be anywhere near as good as any professional brawler!
Does a belief like this leave me at an advantage?
'Cause honestly? I've discovered many different 'advanced techniques' for Mario on my own. Maybe I'm just putting my heart into it, I don't know... just -- opinion please! Thank you!

SUPER MARIOWNED

Smash Rookie
Hey im new to the mario boards and I'm planing on maining mario,

But is there any use of marios dtilt what so ever?

(im new to mario so please dont troll me or something :-( )
Hey Drift108! I'm new too -- but I can answer your question! =)
dtilt is awful if your opponent has low %, but what I've come to realize is that, you could actually use it in some instances if they've gotta decent amount of %.
i.e. using dtilt and following through with a fair (as they're moving back to the stage).
It's a nice way to set up jab-locks or to spike by the ledge, but due to the move taking much too long to pull off, as well as the fact that you've got other alternatives instead (like a throw-down grab + fair), there's really no need to risk a dtilt.

**EDIT**
Sorry for the double-post.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Is it wrong for me to want to play Mario in my own unique style?
Not at all. Just realize aiming to be unique doesn't necessarily mean being good. The board doesn't popularize one style, but to refine the core mechanics of Mario to utmost efficiency. This means no matter what anyone's style is, every Mario should at least be doing -this-.

In other words, I've always disliked 'idolizing' someone elses skill, and consistantly refuse to imitate anyone else specifically. I've gotta make it up on my own, and though I'm aware that options are limited, I still feel comfortable this way!
'Cause my goal is to be the BEST (or at least, one of the best) competative Mario brawlers around!
If your goal is to be the very best, that no one ever was...
To cape them is your real test, to gimp them is your cause...
Then more power to ya. If it leads you to Victory Road, and to defeat the Elite Four, and become Champion, then don't let anyone stop you.

One thing's for sure -- FLUDD. I've consistantly been experimenting with FLUDD from the get-go! I've used him for follow-throughs with meteor smashes (though a fireball actually locks 'em right in the air where I want them), stalling aerial attacks and basically other mindgame-like techniques that I seem to find myself doing instinctively.
I'mma show ya' how great FLUDD can be someday! But for now...
You're about two years too late.

I've kinda drifted off'a my question!

Yeah, so is it completely wrong that I've wanted to adapt a playstyle of my own? That I want to be unique and learn at my own pace? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a word of advice here and there of what to expect from a match-up or a counter pick, but I'll be ignorant if it's a suggestion of entirely changing my playstyle.
As long as you know how to fireball effectively, integrate your aerial options with your ground options, and how to gimp, then there's no need to ever change your style.

I believe that I am a decent Mario brawler. Many tell me that I'm super good whereas I believe that I've still gotta get some tourney experience under my belt before I could be anywhere near as good as any professional brawler!
Does a belief like this leave me at an advantage?
From personal experience, you will always suck until you go to your first tournament. Why exactly? Because a match where money is on the line is far different from a friendly. People will play to win, and many people will be ruthless with their tactics. I remember after my first tournament experience, I went on the boards and complained to how absolutely gay and cheap everyone was. In fact, you can see it for yourself.

So yeah, you are never going to be super good until you go to your first tournament.

'Cause honestly? I've discovered many different 'advanced techniques' for Mario on my own. Maybe I'm just putting my heart into it, I don't know... just -- opinion please! Thank you!
You'll have to share them, but please check FireMario's Video Guide before you think any of them are unique.

Hey Drift108! I'm new too -- but I can answer your question! =)
dtilt is awful if your opponent has low %, but what I've come to realize is that, you could actually use it in some instances if they've gotta decent amount of %.
i.e. using dtilt and following through with a fair (as they're moving back to the stage).
It's a nice way to set up jab-locks or to spike by the ledge, but due to the move taking much too long to pull off, as well as the fact that you've got other alternatives instead (like a throw-down grab + fair), there's really no need to risk a dtilt.
I'll have to debunk this, seeing as how D-tilt doesn't have that type of knockback by itself (the knockback is set to about 85 degrees without DI applied). Realistically speaking the opponent has ample amount of time to react to that.

Here's an (serious) analysis on D-tilt.
D-tilt - Pretty much the most worthless move, but there has been some things that can be found viable with D-tilt that doesn't completely banish it from competitive fighting. It has more range than jabs, and hits low enough that you can shield poke. What's the biggest pencil pusher for this move is that D-tilt has so little knockback that this can actually set up for a kill at high percents. So D-tilt > F-Smash or D-tilt > U-Smash are actually viable options as long as the opponent doesn't react accordingly.

However, the problems are still glaringly obvious. Large ending lag, low knockback, and poor for spacing. This is, as a whole, a mindgame tool and should be used sparingly.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Hi everyone, I'm new to the boards! I prefer to make up my own play-style rather than emulate that of others. Don't get me wrong, I always appreciate advice, but I want my Mario to be unique. Is that a bad thing?
TL;DR'd. :)

Hmm, I'd say it's best to master Mario's overall metagame before moving off on your own. Even then, your playstyle will differ from everyone else's.

Also, welcome to the boards! I love your tag. I'm going to start telling people they've been Mariowned every time I beat them.:bee:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Mariowned, if you want to develop your own playstyle... it's really easy. Just do what I did, and don't watch any videos of other Marios during your learning period. Then once you've got your general playstyle down you can learn other ways of playing and mesh them into one pot of being decent. Unfortunately, if you play Mario you never get better than decent.

Top Bottom