• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The only reason I can think of that would give D3 a larger advantage than MK vs Mario is stagewise. Even then, MK on Brinstar/RC >>>> D3 on Siege, Delfino and FD. D3 has a neutral to take us to though...so yeah.

There comes a point in the match-up where, vs a high caliber MK, there are no good options; not even decent options. We don't have an answer to a really defensive MK that just zones and waits. If MK tries to steamroll you, he's more prone to punishable mistakes. A patient MK is, imo, the single scariest thing for a Mario main.

D3 is just low risk high reward stuff. It's annoying and extremely lopsided, but we still have plenty of options against D3 because of his character design. We have to work way harder and play much safer than D3 to pull the win. He doesn't remove options from our arsenal because of easy frametraps or superior speed + range like MK does.

Why is brinstar one of Mario's best stages

:phone:
Mainly because most characters suck on it WAY more than we do, lol. We actually like the closer blastzones since we have problems killing and the platform placement for camping and platform pressure. But the main reason is that most characters really aren't comfortable here, and we are. We can still function as normal (fireballs actually function better because of the slants) while other characters like Falco and Snake will struggle here.

Prydeless

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys ! I'll have to fight against a Wolf mainer in a MM on this Saturday and i'm looking for some advice whatever they are :D
Starter / Cp ? and anything else you think important to know to deal with it.
(I hope i didn't make a mistake in posting this in this part of the Mario Board :s)

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Hi guys ! I'll have to fight against a Wolf mainer in a MM on this Saturday and i'm looking for some advice whatever they are :D
(I hope i didn't make a mistake in posting this in this part of the Mario Board :s)
I could have used this when I fought Kain on Saturday.

Depending on the skill level, this is still a pretty hard matchup in my experience. Number one thing to remember is that Wolf is quick, brutal, and his ability to get back on stage(under the talents of someone who knows what they're doing) is exceptionally hard to counter, what with his lightstepping, side-B cancel, and his ability to teleport through parts of the stage with his side-B.

Something to remember is that it isn't in your best interest to cape his blaster- perfect shielding is far more useful, and you can actually punish Wolf with something other than his own laser, which in some scenarios he can just reflector back for more damage to you.

Never underestimate the tipper range on Wolf's forward smash. The disjoint is something stupid, so be ready to shield it should he find reason to. Otherwise expect a lot of bairs, as Wolf's bair, like ours, seems to be just a little disjointed. I don't think I've ever matched bairs with him and won- trades happen, though. However his is outright more powerful so use with caution.

I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with Fire's Mario guides before taking this matchup on, as honestly I can only remember so much between getting bodied. Utilt strings are fun, but Wolf can gut through them with his reflector shenanigans, so be ready to bait one, shield, and punish appropriately.

Otherwise, head over to the Wolf boards and figure out where Wolf is weakest. And you can find out his most common setups, so you can better avoid them.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, I dont have exp against high level Wolfs. However, the ones I have fought really like his d-smash and f-smash. Try your best to avoid D-smash!!

Wolf, compared to most characters, does not stay in the same spot. His atk sequence moves him forward and his F-smash has incredible reach. So my advice to that is anticipation. For example, I'm just far away enough that I know he'll f-smash, I'll SHdair in place or about halfway between me and him. Either I'm wrong and end up doing an empty dair, or I'm right and Wolf runs into my atk and I can set him up for a combo or something.

Also, FLUDD is your friend. Not just offstage (still great for offstage), but like I said, a lot of Wolf's moves push him forward. FLUDD will at the very least give you room to breathe if you're pressured.

Prydeless

Smash Apprentice
Okay okay I'm going to take a look on the Wolf board, and i'll take care of the noticable things you told me (especially PShielding the laser :D) thanks a lot for thoose advices :]
What about the stage choice if you can think about it ?
I thought BF or Ps1 (legit in France) as a Starter and Lylat / Brinstar as CP.

steep

Smash Lord
Respect Wolf's bair. That's the main thing I've found. Also, watch for their shine after you dthrow. Shine gives Wolf temporary invincibility. Learn to tech dthrow but don't tech it every time. More to come in a moment.

K it's been a moment. Here is more: Don't waste time on caping his lasers. If you are close enough to hit him with a caped laser then he is probably close enough to fsmash you, but I need to test that theory to know for sure. Watch Boss vs Seagull in the video section. I have a couple MM's with Seagull on youtube but I didn't play well enough to say that is a good resource. But you can watch them if you want.

Try to put Wolf off stage in a bad position whenever possible. Nair -> ledge grab is a good way to gimp Wolf sometimes. You can cape his side b and up b fairly easily if you space it right. FLUDD could mess with his bair spacing. Just try to get Wolf above you and juggle him as long as you can. But don't get juggled. Wolf can surprise you with his ability to juggle you if you let him get above you. Watch out for his dacus too.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Okay okay I'm going to take a look on the Wolf board, and i'll take care of the noticable things you told me (especially PShielding the laser :D) thanks a lot for thoose advices :]
What about the stage choice if you can think about it ?
I thought BF or Ps1 (legit in France) as a Starter and Lylat / Brinstar as CP.

Keep Wolf off Smashville. The things he can do with that platform is downright scary, although Battlefield won't be too much better. I like PS1 myself, so I'd try to direct him there. As for CPs, yeah, Brinstar has enough shaky things about it that it limits his Fsmash and you can usually duck his lasers if you're in a depression.

Things to remember about Brinstar is that, outside of his dair, his moves have a lot of the same mechanics as yours- maybe not as good of a uair, but the range is similar. Expect him to be able to perform as well as you can on a base level when jumping from platform to platform. However, recovery is the thing and Brinstar removes a lot of his normal options, so I'd take him there. Or Rainbow Cruise, but I'm weird like that and have become familiar with the stage enough. Still, I can't imagine Wolf to be all that great there. Especially around the swinging platform.

Prydeless

Smash Apprentice
Kk ! i'll give to RC a try against my bro's pocket Wolf after watching the videos, and let me know what do you think about Fregate in this MU ?
(thanks to everyone again for helping me =) )

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Fludd is super useful in this matchup and can allow you to pull off some interesting gimps. (In fact, you can watch my replays in the latest Do the Mario to see that for yourself).

The matchup isn't very good though, at least at first glance. However, I do think that if anybody ever bothers to learn the matchup it wouldn't be that hard. I plan to do that myself soon, you just gotta make sure you do the right things at the right times.

I'd give you some more concrete examples of what to do in common situations but I haven't played this matchup in over a year outside of a few occurrences that were mainly just for attempting to learn the matchup in case I ever got back into the game.

EDIT: Wait, no.

EDIT 2: Frigate is okay. He could probably pressure you a lot if you don't know what you're doing. I'd definitely suggest trying it out and seeing what works.

Prydeless

Smash Apprentice
@ Xeroxen Yes I saw your trick with Fludd (nice done) but wasn't it situational ? otherwise is Fludd able to 'break' Wolf side-b ? (just wondering)
Thank to you for your advice !

Edit : So I'll give to Fregate a training too

Is there a part of Mario Board where we can post videos to be 'analysed' by Better Marios or something like that, i'll try to get the replay of my MM whatever the result.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I don't even remember the "trick" that I did :p. Fludd essentially acts as a way to make it easier to gimp Wolf. When you hit his Up-B with it, it causes hit lag and changes his direction slightly, which allows you to have more time to react or think, as well as have a better chance at intercepting his recovery.

When it's used against his Side-B, it causes him to end up higher than he would have generally, sometimes allowing you to land a cape gimp if the situation is right. I haven't played this matchup enough to know those situations, I just throw out Fludd whenever I can because it's going to be your primary way of intercepting him unless you can somehow cape his Side-B before he actually travels with it.

And yes, I think we do have a thread like that, let me link you.

EDIT: You'd probably be best off posting the video in the Mario Video Collection, as it appears we don't have a proper thread for video critiquing anymore. We used to have people do that over Xat, but I'm almost positive the Xat is dead.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Xero, are you somehow making it to Cincinnati in about a week? It's been so long.

Without playing it much, my Mario has gotten better. I can even beat some Marth's now, lol.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Maybe Juu. But probably not. I am going to be at Composer's this weekend however.

I might see if I can ride with Steep to Cinci, but I dunno about that.

Prydeless

Smash Apprentice
@Coolwhip thanks for the vid, i've watched all the others too and i feel more confident now :) thanks to everybody again, i'll give you results and feedback ! (continuation with the wolf match-up :p)

Prydeless

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys ! I just wanted to tell you that I won my MM 3-1 and i'll ask you to 'analyse' my Mario through the short 4 games which have been reccorded and which will be uploaded very soon.
Thanks again everybody :]

steep

Smash Lord
It was good playing you Xero. I look forward to hearing your feedback. I was so frustrated with how some of those games went. I would start out winning by a pretty good margin but you would always bring it back in the end. I recorded several of our games, on not very good quality though. But if you wanna see them some time I could send you the files sometime.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
You should just upload them to youtube lol.

I will watch them when I can. I have dial-up here so I will try to criticize the videos when I can. It's going to be hard for me to remember stuff that I could tell you to improve without seeing them though, my memory of all the games I played yesterday is a bit foggy.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You kinda have to get lucky to actually do anything significant to MK offstage. Obviously, if you cape him during any of his B moves, he dies. Cape outranges all of them too (besides downB, I guess). Fludd also ruins the spacing on them.

So you have to rely on a read, lol.

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
I would personally say most useful is probably fireballs, even though they are a poor projectile compared to others it has it's offensive and defensive uses; it also can help us escape juggles (b-reverses etc.). Least useful IMO is probably FLUDD because it's uses are very minuscule.

special moves in terms of uses imo: Fireballs > Cape ≥ Up-B > Fludd

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
(I'M NOT BUMPING THIS THREAD!)

Can anyone give me some tips on fighting toonlink? I need some help in that match up.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Powershield everything. It's extremely vital that you WALK (not run) to your destination, as well. Once close, we outclass TL. All he has is the disjoint. We have the speed and comparable range.

This is way harder on wifi than it is offline, if you were wondering.

Top Bottom