• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Thanks, matador....Idk any toons offline though.
I do be having trouble playing against quest's toonlink lately on wi-fi, so hard to approach him.

steep

Smash Lord
Coolwhip, a note about the Toon Link MU… At the risk of sounding like A2Z, Mario has the tools to keep toon link from camping him imo. Between cape beating everything (turn around cape for bombs) and fludd beating everything, and fireballs beating everything but bombs… You can really stop his camping game from working. I played MJG in pools at my last tourney, and I actually managed to force him to approach because I negated his camping. Then, you can do just what Matador said. Walk to your destination, power shield, and beat him in CQC. I would say utilize ftilt and jabs a lot and work on PS'ing zair. Watch out for short hop zair fast fall to short hop follow up Nair though. That is sick and very frustrating when fighting a Toon Link who consistently does that well. I would say a possible good set up for kills against TL is to jab or ftilt him to get him just out of jab range to bait his zair, PS it, and then depending on how far away he is, Usmash, Fsmash, or stutter-step Fsmash him. Just something that has worked for me in the past.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way to successfully edgeguard Zelda /sheik. Cause I've tried fireballs ,cape, fludd and they always get back on

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Hold on to the ledge to force them to land on stage. Then you can punish their landing.

Oh and be careful not get stage spiked.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
or try cape stalling the ledge like this
That way, you can regain your invincibility frames.

With the fireballs....you just gotta learn how to aim them while edge guarding....like shooting a basketball into a rim/hoop.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Fireball(s) - Nair (sex kick) - Uair or Bair depending on the position because most people can't tech in Brawl. This is what I do against Sheik.

steep

Smash Lord
Also if they are at mid-high percent but you aren't sure if you can kill them ftilt when they are trying to recover can put them in a bad position and let you have an easier time for gimps.

EDIT: Also, if Zelda likes to spam din's fire you can always go for the hilarious fludd-pushing-them-off-the-stage gimp. Ha Ha

steep

Smash Lord
Thanks for that Coolwhip. WHY WEREN'T YOU AT THE TOURNEY IN GLEN ELLYN YESTERDAY? Xero and I drove 4 hours to get there! I'm sure it's less than an hour from you, since it was in a suburb of Chicago!

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Say... when i use a ftilt, and then use another move at a certain few ending frames in the tilts anim, for some reason i get a momentum shift backward?

Does this have a name?, can i use it in anyway?, does this happen to all characters?...

Has this question been asked before? ~_-

:phone:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I'm not sure what the name is, but it's really inconsistent and hard to time so it was deemed generally useless for us. It happens with many characters though, especially with like Pikachu's dtilt or something.

It was asked a long time ago (like 2ish years by me), so it's not a bad question by any means.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
... guhh .... is it possible to turn fludd around in air?
Like if your facing one way, and you press Dspecial+slight backward tilting, while falling does this turn it around?

I would normally test it myself but I'm kinda stuck at the moment.

:phone:

steep

Smash Lord
What Famous said ^ Just neutral b-reverse or wave bounce fireball and then fludd. Wavebouncing is better anyway because if gives you a little momentum before using fludd. Also, I have been occasionally using fludd as a means to keep ledge guarders at bay. Sometimes it can be a decent mix-up option for trying to get back to the stage. I even soft stage spiked my roommate and then footstooled him out of it one time. lol But that was a freak of nature kind of thing.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Do anyone here know what stage(s) to take snake on that would benefit mario?

If i can pull off a Wave-bounce FLUDD in midair, then i can do anything. XP

:pow:

steep

Smash Lord
I like to take Snake to FD, YI, or even Lylat sometimes.

Reasons:

FD gives Snake less options as far as setting up the stage and zoning you out. You can counter-camp Snake with reverse cape and fludd, and fireballs. Plus it doesn't have a super-low ceiling so you can theoretically live a little longer.

YI can mess with some of his grenade throws and the shifting platform can make his c4 game a little less reliable for trying to zone you out. Also if he is close to the side of the stage then he can't c4 recover because it would stick to the side, although that is really unpredictable and not a good reason to pick it by itself.

Lylat has a lot of the same slanted stage attributes that I like YI's for. Plus, if the Snake has to c4 tech to recover the slant of the stage can make it more difficult for them to time it. The slant can help you with fireball camping too, while it can mess with his grenades.

That is just my experience. I like FD the best really. Idk maybe some of my reasons don't hold true for other Mario Mains.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Just a random thought... so you know how Mario can get that jab-lock, right? What if, in teams or something, Mario FLUDDs after that first bounce in the lock? Would that work? Is that something? Im just thinking of stuff, Idk the reality of it.

steep

Smash Lord
Once they are off stage they wouldn't be locked in the position they are in or anything I don't think. They would theoretically be able to jump out of it. Idk for sure though. It's an interesting thought. I just don't know, even if it did work, if it would have any practical application.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Alright im not sure if this was possible or a freak of nature but i once caped samus off the stage in battlefield she did her upb then i just kept capping her from one side to another with a combination of a whole bunch of short hops then fludd. Have tou all ever experienced this or was that juat a random occurence

steep

Smash Lord
With Samus being so floaty, it seems more likely to be possible but the samus would have to be pretty high off the ground which wouldn't reliably happen. Interesting though. Seems very situational.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I'm guessing since you main Wolf, you don't have many chances to use angled projectiles. Try throwing Fireballs before you chase. That should make predicting their recovery easier so you won't have to go too far off stage.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Cape reverses the direction of any momentum, so technically any "recovery" move can be turned around by cape. However, it's pretty useless to do on some of them. For instance, on Sonic, Snake, and G&W caping their recovery allows them to use their recovery again. And caping peach's up-b generally gives her enough vertical height to allow her to recover anyway. I'm sure there's a few more examples, but yeah. Just experiment and see what works.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
It works well on pretty much every recovery except the ones I listed, for various reasons. It doesn't even have to travel in a "straight line", due to some of the nuances of cape.

Top Bottom