• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Metagame Analysis (Updated as of 3/06/2010)

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol Cape and FLUUD are amazing aresenal to Mario. I'd love to test those stuff with him, but like I spend hours and I get nothing new so that makes me bored easily lol. (Just imagines having Samus Super Wavedash in Melee, but with Mario and his Cape xD)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Lol, I feel like a copycat now. =(

It seems somewhat like the Luigi Style, but it does have some stuff that I don't have on there. I'll look into it though and see what I can add on the analysis.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hero I dunno if you need this but I went and got all the damage inputs for each move.

Grounded Moves (Smashes, 'Pummel', Throws, Jabs, Dash Attack)

Forward Smash

Sweet Spotted Damage
Up-18%
Middle-17%
Low-16%

Unsweet Spotted Damage
Up-15%
Middle-14%
Low-13%

*I used an un sweet spotted middle forward smash, and they tripped I did it twice to Ike now, I tried replicating it but nothing. Wth, I never had that happened before.*

Down Smash
First hit-15%
Second hit-12%

Up Smash
14%

Pummel
3%

Forward Throw
9%

Back Throw
12%

Down Throw
6%

Up Throw
8%

Jab Hit 1
3%

Jab Hit 2
2% (xD)

Jab Hit 3
4%

Dash Attack Sweet spotted (Note; Dash attack has a sweet spot, if you do it while your still gaining momentum, that's the sweet spot. If you hit them while you lose momentum, that's 'un' sweet spotted)
9%

Dash Attack Unsweet spotted
7%

Special Moves (Cape, Fireball, and Super Jump Punch)

Cape Used in the Air (Yes, Cape does less damage in the air, dumb??)
6%

Grounded Cape
8%

Fireball
5%

Reveresed Super Jump Punch (If you hit them with the first 'frame' of the attack)
5%

Regular Super Jump Punch (This is 12%, but it could be lower if the opponent DI's, if they can?)
12%

Aerials (Up Air, Back Air, Down Air, Neutral Air)

Up Air
11%

Sweet spotted Back Air (Yea, there's a very slim chance of not getting the sweet spot on it, :D.)
12%

Un sweet spotted Back Air
7%

Down Air (This move ranges since you can Smash DI out of this shield, I also think you can Up B out of the last hit, I did it in Mario's dittos once...but let's keep this a secret, I don't want Marth mains finding this out >.<)
12%

Sweet spotted Neutral Air (If you hit them with N-air right away that's the sweet spot, if you hit them with the 'lingering' frames of the attack that's the 'un' sweet spotted n-air)
10%

Un sweet spotted Neutral Air
5%

I hope this helped you with your meta game analysis, and if this has already been written/known, do I ever feel like I wasted time.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
For some very odd reasons, I've used Fireball and F-Tilt on foes and had them inflict more damage than usual.

My F-Tilt did 9%, and the Fireball did 6%... odd, no? Anyone else had this happen, or at least know why?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I use the cape on-stage all the time, mainly because I used to do said action in Melee, and earlier Brawl.

Oh yes, and now to hear a little way to handle Banana-Spamming Diddy Kongs. USE THE CAPE (Explanation on the Cape's usage against Diddy Kongs below)

My friend(who is a -VERY- good Diddy main) now fears using his banana combos on me, because I merely cape the bananas as he throws them at me, causing him to trip, and letting me use them to my advantage. You can easily throw the bananas at Diddy, which causes them to fly in the air as Diddy trips, then quickly jump, and N-air, catching the banana, and repeat the process. Or, use a stutter stepped F-smash as Diddy trips. There is virtually nothing the Diddy can do about it, unless he predicts that you are about to throw the banana, and catches it as it is about to hit him. NOW GO OWN SOME DIDDY KONGS!

Matt07

Smash Master
That works for the most part. The Cape really makes Diddy more prone to using their bananas/being more cautious. They still have the throw gliding(?) and that can set up for some serious mindgames, with their bananas. But the Cape really helps in this match-up.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha agreed Mystic, Diddy's still give me trouble :(.

I hope you read my post on the third page, last comment xD, it was about the Mario's individual move damages, and stuff.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The Real Mario Moveset Tier List

by Skyler Ocon

Top Tier

Cape
Cape
Cape

High Tier

Cape
Cape
Cape
Cape
Cape

Middle Tier

Cape
Cape
Cape
Cape

Low Tier

Cape
Cape
Cape

Does-not-exist Tier

Dtilt

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
No worries, I saw it. I'll probably update tomorrow or something.

Btw, against Diddy, it's best if you can limit the fight to Diddy only being able to have one banana on the stage. Him having two will bring a lot of trouble. Keep one banana and make sure you're using it the most. If you find yourself being overwhelmed then immediately throw it off. Diddy will have a hard time fighting Mario without bananas, but he'll always have at least one out.

Diddy isn't difficult, but his rhythm is hard to break. Once you do though you'll be able to win.

EDIT: lol @ Skyler!

Matt07

Smash Master
Lmfao Skyler! Cape FTW. And rofl at the lonely d-tilt. Where's the love for that move guys?

I usually don't like bananas at all, my banana control sucks, so I usually like to throw them off. But if your good with Bananas keep them on, they'll help you more then hurt you (well most of the time xD)

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
The only problem with trying to control two bananas, is the fact that Diddy can easily regain one of them, however, if you do manage to control and maintain two of Diddy's bananas, they become really frustrated, and tend to stop using the second. (This happened to me over the weekend) Just as a side note, they'll eventually start hopping above you and throw the banana downard, if they predict your about to cape it. In that case, you could dodge, or attempt to catch it in mid-air.

All in all, mess with a Diddy's mind, using the cape, it's fun to hear them complain.

Edit: As a side note for Diddy's recovery, while it's still charging, if they know a cape is coming, they'll most likely wait it out. If you know that's what they'll do, do any aerial attack against them, their aerial delay after being hit usually means death for them.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
WOW good read. You put alot of effort in.
Wish someone did somthing like this in the Toon Link boards.

Whats FIHL btw :p

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
FIHL is Fludd Induced Hit Lag. If any attack out-prioritizes the FLUDD, we can use it to cause the opponent to become stuck on a frame, giving us a free hit if we time it right.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Sweet analysis, Hero Mystic! It wouldn't surprise me if this was mistaken as a guide. It has made me contemplate about using F-tilt more again since I don't use it much. Also, I'm going to use U-tilt more. I stopped using it after my style changed. Used it yesterday in a couple Wi-Fi matches and it was sweet. Also, the jab combo can poke shields sometimes. That increases its usefulness. Oh, and I think an alternative name for the Super Jump Punch could be Shoryuken! Street Fighter IV has influenced me. LOL.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mind giving a thorough explanation? I'm assuming it has something to do with the platforms since they act like ceilings as well.

I'll be updating when I'm not crammed with homework.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sticky.

You guys have too many stickys :/.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Mind giving a thorough explanation? I'm assuming it has something to do with the platforms since they act like ceilings as well.

I'll be updating when I'm not crammed with homework.
Yes It is the ceilings. And I Believe the hill can probably be used to jab lock the opponent offstage.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
If your opponent is at the right percents, you can also just uair your opponent up the hill and kill them. The stun you get when you hit the ground helps this.

mirkdddlhppr

Smash Cadet
Brilliant analysis. This will incontrovertibly help my progression into a greater Mario. Thanks!

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
I have some acronyms i dont understand such as FIHL, OOS. And also what is spotdodging and shading?? can someone help me out with these?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I have some acronyms i dont understand such as FIHL, OOS. And also what is spotdodging and shading?? can someone help me out with these?
FIHL = FLUDD Induced Hit Lag

OOS = Out of Shield

spotdodging = sidestep

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I dont think you've added it but I think we're up to the point where Mario definitely is the rapist of all in double's. Fludd can just be wayy darn good honestly :/ or bad lol. but yeah think about adding a double's section for mario

Top Bottom