• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Metagame Analysis (Updated as of 3/06/2010)

vato_break

Smash Master
Well some attacks leave you with your back to the stage so fludd could be useful in that case.Other than that though mario has no kind of "brake"because capeing in either direction puts you higher in the air and does not stop momentum whatsoever.Maybe dj b-reversed fireball? idk..

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
For opponents who like to block your Jabs a lot you can just jab then grab them. If that doesn't work it always better to run away after jabbing so they can miss a grab or better yet, a OOS option making them vulnerable to another attack.

vato_break

Smash Master
Also i would like to add, for people with short grab ranges, You can jab(which might be blocked) and then piviot cape so you can punish them right after.You can also keep jab canceling aganst their shield but, that isn't very reliable. as you can get grabed.

vato_break

Smash Master
Bsicking makes you lose more aerial control(which is vital to useing mario),stutter stepping,and you can't do that fancy turn around dance! No but, bsticking isn't all that great with mario..

Veggi

Smash Champion
He's talking about b reversal actually. Which is amazing and sexy.

Like pretending like you are jumping away or approaching with bair, but instead you pivot a fireball torwards them. You can get behind people's shields, fireball>uair, fireball>grab. Also, I started doing one jab and then jumping behind the opponent's shield, as well as doing a bair next to someone and then trying to land behind their shield with a uair.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I've been working on my ledge play lately, since recently, I've just been hopping up.

Does that count?

Veggi

Smash Champion
That reminds me, you can also wall jump from the edge, pivot fireball, and then grab the edge again. Really though, wall jump>bair is pretty good. Drop off>jump>fireball>uair is a nice way to get back to the stage too. Having the fireball hit can make the uair hit, and also erases the RCO lag. Pretty good if you ask me.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
That reminds me, you can also wall jump from the edge, pivot fireball, and then grab the edge again. Really though, wall jump>bair is pretty good. Drop off>jump>fireball>uair is a nice way to get back to the stage too. Having the fireball hit can make the uair hit, and also erases the RCO lag. Pretty good if you ask me.
wow i need to start doing this. I usually would B-air, flag, or nuetral air when im on the ledge. I can really use this to my advantage

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mixups...

Everyone start doing Jab -> Jab2 -> F-tilt (or D-tilt). It's Mario's new and improved Jab combo. Jab Jab F-tilt does like 13%, which is good for a three hit Jab sequence (not to mention F-tilt at higher percents gets people off the stage effectively). Jab Jab D-tilt does 10%, and puts your opponent in a tough position that you can follow up better from than just doing 3 Jabs.

Just a warning, D-smash is risky to attempt since it has shorter range than D-tilt and F-tilt, but the other two attacks you have enough of a frame advantage to land.

Matt07

Smash Master
It sounds pretty good, I mean say if you jab, jab, f-tilt, the second time you go to do it, they may shield the f-tilt and that's when you could d-tilt because it shield pokes...right?

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Jab Jab Ftilt WORKS a lot better then you would think. I've been using it a lot lately. You'd all do well and take A2's advice here and use it. It's easy to preform and works very well.

Also, for the ledge talk, I do a lot of Control Stick Away from the ledge, Cape, SJBair/Dair/Pivot Fireball to get back on. Also, if they come out for a stage spike you just Cape, then Uair and it'll kick them out and let you recover fine. Pivot Fireball gets rid of RCO Lag and I believe Bair and Dair do as well. Of course this gets predictable if you do it too much so add this to your ledge game along with the other stuff mentioned here, Starked.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236603

First Jab
HB1: -2
HB2:
- no action: +4
- aerial action: -2
- air time: 2 frames

Second Jab
HB1: -4
HB2:
- no action: +5
- aerial action: -2
- air time: 3 frames

Second Jab after First Jab
- no action: +7
- air time: 5 frames

Basically, those are the numbers you need to know. You can only land Grab, Up-B, and Jab from Jab 1 on Mario. Jab2 actually has more stun time than Jab1 which is interesting. You have 7 advantage frames from landing Jab1 and Jab2.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Are you sure that's right about Mario being able to get up tilt and not ftilt off of jab1? They come out on the same frame iirc.

Anyway, it's strange that Mario gets more hitstun off of jab2, for Luigi he gets more off of jab1.

vato_break

Smash Master
Anyone know how to do the reverse momentum B reversal? i know it has some thing to do with RARing i just can't pull it off consistantly.Out of 10 tries i only did it 3 times ..anyone know?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dang, all of Mario's tilts are frame 5. Some other site said it was frame 4. *facepalm*

Then uh, all you can land from Jab1 is Jab1, Grab, and Up-B.

And uh, what exactly are you trying to do Vato?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Anyone know how to do the reverse momentum B reversal? i know it has some thing to do with RARing i just can't pull it off consistantly.Out of 10 tries i only did it 3 times ..anyone know?
Do you mean pivoting your fireballs? You just press the opposite direction and then... fireball, lol.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No, reverse momentum is similar, but somewhat different.
What he's talking about is when you do a special and pivot it during the few frames after it starts that most specials can be pivotted, giving a change in momentum when you get turned around.

You have to use your fireball, then almost immediately slam the other direction (Not so early as to get a cape, but I believe you have to hit the opposite direction just as he sticks his hand out.)

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
What he's talking about is when you do a special and pivot it during the few frames after it starts that most specials can be pivotted, giving a change in momentum when you get turned around.

You have to use your fireball, then almost immediately slam the other direction (Not so early as to get a cape, but I believe you have to hit the opposite direction just as he sticks his hand out.)
Oh, I know what your talking about now, I've done that a few times. I didn't really like the results but meh.

vato_break

Smash Master

I think this is what i'm talking about i do it sometimes i just didn't know how i did it.

EDIT actually i'm not taking about this one either,this one is simple to do...the one im talking about is you run,rar,then piviot fireball? i think im still unsure but, i unerstand what your talking about..the use for this one is that it appears you are going foward but, you givin a "push-back" but, mario's body is is faceing foward the whole time exept when you reverse aerial rush.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I think this is what i'm talking about i do it sometimes i just didn't know how i did it.

EDIT actually i'm not taking about this one either,this one is simple to do...the one im talking about is you run,rar,then piviot fireball? i think im still unsure but, i unerstand what your talking about..the use for this one is that it appears you are going foward but, you givin a "push-back" but, mario's body is is faceing foward the whole time exept when you reverse aerial rush.
Oh, then yeah. That's just what XeroXen said.

And I dunno, I like B-reversed fireballs every now and then. They can be a good mixup. For example: Run away, then SH B-reverse a fireball so you land next to them as the fireball. Another example is ledge-drop, wall jump, and B-reverse a fireball, since it gets you and a fireball onstage at almost the same time and can allow you to follow it up (This one is stolen from 1der).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh that, I do that sporadically with G&W, but I forget to most of the time in general. Retreating projectile barrages are awesome.

Most of the time I'm just fullhopping backwards pretending to B-air and then B reverse when I do that kind of thing.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Ohhh, you're all talking about Wave Bouncing? xD
It is a very nice mix up at times, like formun said, Run Away, WBFireball, anything can really throw them off. I do this a lot when baiting opponents to chase me.

vato_break

Smash Master
its hard to explain what im talking about. This one gives you a backward pushback.I know theres another one that sends you into the direction of the breversed fireball,the one im speaking of pushes you back kinda....maybe i'm crazy?

EDIT:nevermind guys figured it out it was wavebounceing...its hard with out bsticking.. >_<

vato_break

Smash Master
Wavebounceing marios fireball is hard...maybe there is some kind of secret because in the hour i actually practiced doing it,it only came out like 15 times? maybe.. tell me your secrets kirin?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah. I didn't think you could wavebounce fireballs... or maybe I'm mixing things up too?

vato_break

Smash Master
yeah,if you set your special to C-stick you can can wavebounce a fireball easily,but without it i'm not really even sure how to recreate it.I've done it by RARing but,i can't do it consistently.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
yeah,if you set your special to C-stick you can can wavebounce a fireball easily,but without it i'm not really even sure how to recreate it.I've done it by RARing but,i can't do it consistently.
I don't B-stick, so this might be a stupid question, but how would you wavebounce a fireball with B-sticking? I didn't think you could do a neutral B with it...

Famous

Smash Champion
I don't b-stick with the c-stick...Hence why I can cape dash and wavebounce fireballs more effectively

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I don't b-stick with the c-stick...Hence why I can cape dash and wavebounce fireballs more effectively
Wait... I thought B-sticking was setting the C-stick to specials... How could you B-stick without the C-stick?

Top Bottom