• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Social Thread

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
I enjoy Marth more now. with the engine fixes in 2.5 I feel he plays smoother. I like him a lot more now. i didn't even use him in 2.1, but now I'm thinking of making him my secondary or 3rd main.

Dante'

Smash Rookie
2.5 Marth feels really nice. I'm very curious to see how he fairs in a metagame not populated with fast-fallers, and I personally think he will still preform very well against this improved roster.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well he's extremely good at a fundamental level. I dont think he's going to stuffer too much. Especially considering he got buffs.

Dante'

Smash Rookie
Well that is a pleasant surprise. I knew Marth's up-smash got buffed with a bigger hitbox, which I appreciate due to it being one of his few trusting animations. I didn't think he got much else, but now I'm looking forward to the change log.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'm pretty sure DB is better, but I forgot how.

I have to get magus to tell me again.

Also mechanic buffs. While they're universal, a few mechanics are part of the fundementals of P:M which in term is added to Marth's arsenal. At least that's how i feel.

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
Made a video thread. Have fun. Also how many people use Marth now? I know I'll use him. He feels so much better in 2.5 now. I keep saying it because it's true.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
He's my Melee main so I use him, but im not sure if he's a secondary or a main for me in P:M.

Also, if I make the video thread. I'll have to maintain it haha.

Dante'

Smash Rookie
Marth has been my main ever since 2005. I play him for two reasons. 1: Fire Emblem is one of the best game series of all time and 2: He is simple yet complex. He has, no projectiles, unique physics, gimmicks, or crazy set-ups. Its just him and his sword, with solid fundamentals backing him up. Honestly I wish he was Lyn instead, but oh well.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
His tipper system is a gimmick. lol.

That and he has a bunch of silly set ups from SH Dairs, to grabbing out of DB, and probably more.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I use Marth. I'm probably still technically better with him, but since everyone's familiar with the MU I typically use Lucas in tournament now.

Even though I don't think it's truly possible, I might say I dual main the two of them.

TheDevicer

Smash Cadet
I dunno. I love characters that I find have an elegant way of positioning and moving around. Just Marth's fundamental neutral game is very satisfying to me. I feel like he's less viable at higher levels of play, but his basic stuff hasn't changed at all. He still has his share of great matchups but has gained a few bad ones as well. He's a bit of a niche character.

Dante'

Smash Rookie
I really wouldnt call him a niche character. More like a character that represents the essence of competitive smash.
I feel the same way. He kinda fits into Smash bros like Ryu fits into street fighter.

D

Deleted member

Marth (along with tl) is my main in this, but I feel as if marth will never win tournaments. Hes a really good character, but I feel like he just won't be recognized or played enough to place high. Also, someone help me vs Rob. I play a really good rob player almost every monthly and I haven't won a set. 2-0 or 2-1 >_>

Master WGS

Smash Lord
It's also pretty worthless. Maybe if he actually slid somewhere, or if usmash was at least an okay move it'd be okay.

Too precise to be worth the effort probably anywhere.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Reporting in... kinda.

I play a little 2.5 Marth (and mained him for most of my Melee playing "career") and he does indeed feel smooth. Marth dittos somehow feel even lamer than before, but verses some characters it is still hilarious.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
It's also pretty worthless. Maybe if he actually slid somewhere, or if usmash was at least an okay move it'd be okay.

Too precise to be worth the effort probably anywhere.
Magus says it can go as far as lucas' actually.

And combined with it's new hitboxes. You can platform techchase from the other side of FD. (ie Left BF Plat to Right BF Plat)

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Marth feels really good in 2.5, i think i could even drop melee marth since these two are almost identical, although PM marth has more mechanics to work with.

quick question, does anybody know where to find a Sephiroth model, but with the normal marth sword and not the humungus one? i saw it in a video once so if so one could help me out

TheDevicer

Smash Cadet
I really wouldnt call him a niche character. More like a character that represents the essence of competitive smash.
I must ask, do you feel this way because of how Marth was developed and played during the early years of Melee or because of his matchup spread in PM. I'd describe him in the exact same way for Melee, but I feel he has a rather interesting array of matchups. It's almost as if he either counters or gets countered in most matchups, albeit in a relatively minor way.

As for Marth's Dacus, I used to string together the move from and f-throw or a techroll on a platform when I felt like being ridiculously flashy. I made this video when I first heard about it in 2.1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61RQ7zqhhZs

On a separate note, how do you guys feel about Marth and the new Norfair? I feel he plays really well there, especially once you start taking advantage of his long wavelands. It's like the stage feeds into your mobility. Another plus is that the top platform is ever so slightly below the height of your grounded up-B. This makes using the move OOS rather safe, especially since the platform runs the entire length of the stage itself.

And how are Marth dittos lame? He combos and gimps himself so well that these matches tend to be really fast paced, being only offset by playing footsies. And if you don't find the neutral game interesting, why do you even play smash, let alone Marth?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Marth main here.

DACUS is really ****ing good and I'd use it but I can't seem to pull it off with Z and not A.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Yeah, no wonder.

Oh hey I second Marth in Melee. Seems alright in PM although I think I prefer his melee incarnation, for dittos at least. Maybe it's just that melee feel. Anyways not much to say just wanted to post. Marth is cool. Wavebounce DB is cool. You guys are alright.

Bye.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think they just need to give Marth actual kills options after 70% lest all these new and improved characters with better "situations" in every situation Marth was actually viable for in Melee just make him... good but not exactly feeling worthwhile in a 'playing to win' environment.

I feel eternal rage that Marth still can't kill anybody with non-tippered fsmash or dsmash until the 160s+. In the way that the balancing team have "leveled out" brawl changes for the better (e.g. Falco) I don't see why Marth's been left behind.

I feel Mario to be a stronger, more versatile and less gimicky version of what Marth is right now (the 'gimmick' being 'loldtilt', 'lol grab range' and 'a tipper fsmash killing people with bad DI lower than fox's usmash but not actually killing people at all if they DI'). I love the power of a sword (which will always be great), I love his wave dash plus new shenanigans with pivot grabs and I notice the dair and dancing blade differences too, but he's feeling a little dated.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well with the reduced landing lag on Dair's L-cancel, he has more kill options from SH Rising Dair. <_<

That and Utilt can kill before 160%. >_>

Marth's skill ceiling has definately been raised however. Mostly because of new fundementals. How high it's been raised and how steep the incline, however, is something none of us are able to properly identify at the time being.

Also, HIII SHAYA. <3

Top Bottom