• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match up Export #15: R.O.B| Complete.....almost....

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
i will normally take rob to battle fied since its easier to avoid projectiles and get in close with platforms.

to me rob does best on FD out of the netrual stages.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Maybe but fd is too big for robs projectile game to be effective. It takes the top to long to reach us so we can shield or reflector while laser camping. So i can understand. The bf argument but tbh i feel thst sv is a bettr option for rob because the stage is small enoigh to keep us close

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
people who are good jugglers like fox can juggle rob more on FD because there are no platforms, and its just open. we just discussed this one. the platforms on BF/PS1 give Rob more opportunity to land and not get juggled. so the platforms do help Fox's juggling, but it also helps ROB's recovery in just landing because there are more surfaces, instead of just having to wait to get all the way to the whole of the stage like you would have to on FD. but like Mike said, PS1 is better for ROB if it is neutral, but BF is still a good option

TheMike

Smash Lord
What Spin said. ROB doesn't have many options to avoid Fox's juggle on Final Destination.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yea I'm sorry.....I've been lazy but I think everything has been covered I WILL have this completed by next week guys.

TKD

Smash Lord
Ummm...
R.O.B. is a big target that's easy to juggle and everything hits it. R.O.B.'s aerials are all punishable from whiff and block so they don't help much as protection. It's just juggle city and easy to shield-poke too. I wouldn't be surprised if R.O.B. can't punish a dair that's landed at his backside, or if dair plain out-prioritizes R.O.B.'s utilt.

I don't have R.O.B. experience against good players (then again, I haven't heard of someone playing R.O.B. well outside of Japan), but at least I know Fox way better than the average player; and he's a good enough character to take advantage of R.O.B.'s weaknesses (although probably every character does this).

To punish whiffs you can short-hop to prepare, then air-jump nair/uair/fair/bair as soon as R.O.B. whiffs an aerial. If they don't, you can beat the opponent to it by surprising with an aerial anyway; since R.O.B.'s quickest aerial only covers its front. It's also possible to short-hop fair or usmash from the ground. Usmash beats moves from below whether they'd whiff or not. Walking into R.O.B. as it lands makes it possible to shield-grab pretty easily or wait for aerial/air-dodge to hit it (although pivot gyro may help R.O.B. a bit).

About ground game, I guess it's time to find openings. The opponent may even generate them for you. To achieve approaches it's probably better to abuse Fox's large difference in mobility with R.O.B..

R.O.B. can only perform aerials during its upB. This can be taken advantage of big time. Just remember that any aerial cancels its upB, although R.O.B. can choose to elevate itself during whichever aerial is performed out of its upB.

Platforms or no platforms, R.O.B. is at a disadvantage in the air. As long as it steps on a platform, it still hasn't reached the main stage. For example, in Battlefield, every hit of Fox's short-hop fair still connects from the bottom. A dair buffered from a full hop into a platform in that stage will land without cool-down too; making it completely safe on block and allowing follow-ups earlier than usual. Bair can be performed full hop into platforms as usual in any stage and it's safe on block too.

RPK

Smash Lord
Fox should be able to easily get underneath R.O.B as well as outcamp him. Fox has SO many options to get ROB into the air that it isnt even funny. If R.O.B is at a certain percent, he should be able to get hit with a full Fair while he is standing on the ground. And even without that, just barely putting him in the air will give us the ability to hit him with every part of Fair. He tries to Fair, we can immedietly Fair him back OoS as punishment. We outcamp him, we combo the hell out of him, we should be able to kill faster than him, and putting him in the air below us shouldnt be a problem at all. Im probably looking at it from one side, but it does seem like it would be stacked against ROB. 60:40 or even a 65:35

EDIT: It could also just be me being out of the loop for a long time, but it seems like we should have the advantage...

TKD

Smash Lord
/\ I wouldn't risk calling it more than 6/4, but I don't know R.O.B. that well. R.O.B.'s whiffs are punishable too by the way; including aerials, smash attacks and probably tilts. and can you elaborate on how to out-camp R.O.B.? As stated I don't know the character but always pictured myself approaching it.

RPK

Smash Lord
Well Im assuming that we can outcamp ROB by taking ahold of his top, and just running around with it while shooting lasers at him, and reflecting his back at him. Dunno why Im thinking we can outcamp him since usually we can outcamp a majority of the other cast that has projectiles...I could just be acting really dumb and thinking that I should just shut my mouth ._. I know his tilts are punishable because I spammed those like no tomorrow when I played ROB because the reach on those tilts are ridiculous! Mostly F-tilt though...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Fox does a lot better in this matchup than he should, and it's largely because ROB's shield is complete garbage.

That being said, Fox is able to kill ROB a lot faster than the other way around, although ROB does have a nice U-tilt juggle (especially worth noting if you approach ROB), various edgeguard shenanigans, and better pokes, and I guess that's about it when Fox pretty much gets free hits when ROB doesn't angle his shield, and sometimes even if he does.

And then *insert whatever this character can do to ROB's terrible ledge game*.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Aside from that obviously, but even then if it wasn't so simple to just **** ROB's shield, he could just play with pokes at midrange, which Fox doesn't have too many real answers to. Aside from the fact that ROB really just is in no shape to defend against repeated approaches on shield.

Variable

Smash Ace
No we outcamp ROB
We out camp him very easily. Sheild Poke, Lasers, Juggle all of these can be used to our advantage. Plus both of his projectiles are very easy to predict. Doesn't make much sense to me why people stop moving when they're about to shoot a ROB laser. And if they're going to charge up their down B and stand still they're going to get shot at with lasers. Simple enough. If you're going to let me shoot you, I'm going to do it.

N3xU5

Smash Apprentice
uhh honestly i play fox's a lot (tkd remember me lol its been a while) and ik that ive never had superbly large problems with the MU (even tho tkd ***** me rlly rlly badly but nojohns ill take him next time :)) nontheless ik that the only way to beat a fox is to take advantage of his arial range and because fox has very fast up and down speed that even makes that very difficult. Also like everybody else said fox can outcamp rob along with having aggro apporaches that beat everything but robs arial range which can be mindgamed out and basically laser camped. honestly i think the matchup is barely more in fox's favor thn 60-40 (62-38 63-37 etc) ik i probably made a lot of typos im too lazy to proofread it k disagree all u want remember this is imo

N3xU5

Smash Apprentice
oya i forgot to mention that the MU is very winnable if u play very smart and honestly if you know how to plau aggro rob as hard as it is to believe aggro rob works quite well on a lot of his bad MUs (ex falco why do ppl ever try to camp falco it doesnt ****ing work lol)

N3xU5

Smash Apprentice
crap i kinda worded that wrong i completely left out that robs best hope against fox is his mid range game (i thought i was implied because of my talk bout his arial range game but then i rememberd his f-tilt)

MetalPat

Smash Ace
im loving how 3 of his 7 posts are in this thread... in a triple post...
I feel ashamed to say im a rob main noa :(

edit: I lied, I actually know how to use the edit key.

N3xU5

Smash Apprentice
sry... i didnt rlly ever go on swf till now i didnt think that would be sch a bad thing as to triple post well.. whatever xD

TKD

Smash Lord
R.O.B. walls opponents out very easily. Fox's blaster also does too small damage, considering R.O.B. can poke at Fox with his own, more powerful projectiles during this. R.O.B. also has the option to just grab Fox or perform his tilt moves just when walling moves (like SH bair) are expected. Being lasered out of our recovery doesn't help either. Trying to shield-poke with moves like dair is pretty silly considering R.O.B. can either move away or counter it with his utilt...oh wait. It's actually dair that counters R.O.B.'s utilt, isn't it? I wish I knew this match-up.

Duo55

Smash Ace
I have alot of rob exp from various players. J ceaser, Stingerz, Stockfield, Karn, and I've even played holy nightmare in some friendlies. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that fox wins this mu handily. Combos, Fair, laser and reflector destroy rob, not to mention that robs shield stands no chance against the pressure fox is capable of generating. Which leads to him getting poked alot. Whats that? Your shield won't be low because you camp? No, medium range camping is where this battle is won for fox, you should be in the center of the stage, and rob will be at the edge. Reflector prevents any projectile attempts at this range, robs projectiles are too quick so he eats them almost every time angled or not because of the stage control fox has here. And because fox's reflector multiplies the % and knock back, you might not want to make that mistake too often... this will eventually lead rob to attempt hand to hand combat (lol) which it is all to easy to beat with fox. Robs spot dodge get eaten alive by dair and nair, and you can short hop dair over d smash if you predict it. Also robs slow falling speed, and the nature of his up b are also big disadvantages. The virdict should be changed to 60/40 fox for sure.

Duo55

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... the only real threat from rob in this mu is that he can f-air gimp fox at just about any % if fox tries to fire fox below the stage so always save your double jump for a F-air recovery (you should be doing this all the time anyway) or recover high. Also use shine stall to avoid laser gimps.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Sorry for the bump but I would like to say that I fear using Nair in this MU because I don't want to get punished by a sheild-grab or OOS D-smash. I usually Soft-Nair and not Hard-Nair. Anyone got any good ways to use Nair in this MU? Other than that I agree with 55-45.

crifer

Smash Lord
ROB´s tend to spotdodge dsmash a lot if you´re both standing right in front of each other. nair OOS covers that spot dodge and possibly leads to an usmash @ % (got this against a ROB in the last tourney).
Running shield (OOS usmash) is sooo good against ROB (especially his nair). 55:45 for Fox seems good.

Top Bottom